facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 29, 2010, 02:06 PM
BD Correspondent, ESPNCricinfo

Thumbs up Assessment on Imrul Kayes and Shafiul Islam

Check out the story guys...

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=148684

Old July 29, 2010, 02:13 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

thanks for sharing. But all i know is kayes needs to improve his sr and shafi needs to bring down his econ rate otherwise both will fade away like talha/rajin/rokon

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)
Old July 29, 2010, 02:55 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
thanks for sharing. But all i know is kayes needs to improve his sr and shafi needs to bring down his econ rate otherwise both will fade away like talha/rajin/rokon

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)
hehe!
If only we could make convert Shafi's eco rate to Imrul's SR & Imrul's SR to Shafi's eco rate,it would hv benn FANTASTIC.
But seriously I'm happy with these 2,specially Imrul's effort & Shafi's potentiel should be recognized but I hope they work on their weaknesses & get better results.
Old July 29, 2010, 03:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Imrul kayes seems like a very good player

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old July 29, 2010, 03:31 PM
First Class Cricketer

imrul kayes would have been a great batsman if he was batting in the 90's. but he is not suitable for the ODI games currently i think.

shafiul can not afford to give 90+ runs in 9 overs, specially when he is one of the main bowlers.
Old July 29, 2010, 04:08 PM
Cricket Savant

What I like abt Imrul is that he has patience,he can occupy the crease for a long time,play long innings,thus involves in big partnerships,& that sets the platform to get a decent score on the board.
Yes,he is slow & he must score quickly but these r the qualities that many BD btsmen don't have.
Old July 29, 2010, 08:12 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

It was really fantastic effort from Imrul Kayes in England tour. He has complemented Tamim perfectly. But still, he has to be consistent in scoring runs in both Test and ODI.
Old July 29, 2010, 08:53 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

This was a good article..its good to see what Imrul has to say about everything..funny that he likes the shorter versions considering he bats at a slow pace..I gotta admit he has been very consistent and has come a long way as an international cricketer..I remember when he 1st came in and boy did he struggle..it looked like this guy did not belong in international cricket..to his credit he worked hard and has now become the highest run scorer for us in ODIs..what I like about him the most is that he knows his game and when he's out with Tamim he does not go all guns blazing..thats what I saw a lot with openers (Nafees, Nazimuddin, Zunaed) who opened with Tamim..they saw Tamim hit his shots and they thought they could follow, instead they threw away their wicket..people have to realize also that he might score slow but in every series he's had 1 50+ which is very impressive..given time this guy will transform in to a solid international batsman..

Shafiul has been the find of the year for us this year..I'm proud of him as well..the guy really struggled on debut and people in this forum wanted to rip his head off because of the way he performed..after that he has just gotten better and has been the 2nd highest wickettaker for us this year..the scary thing is he's only 20 and seems really mature when he's out there..the guy has such great pace and variety but needs to have a better line and length if he wants to be more economical in ODIs..with proper coaching this guy can be a very threatening pacer in international cricket..
Old July 29, 2010, 09:17 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

shafiul bowls economically in tests but gets less wickets that is a low SR or average.

but in ODI's he has a high SR and also we all know high Econ Rate.

perhaps i feel bringing him without any exposure in u-19, academy or A team has been a big burden for him.

though he settled in well. now needs a good bowling caoch as mentor and needs to play some less intensity domestic cricket and regroup his skills and thoughts for the future.

and needs to get a better physic. he is skinniest person in the team
Old July 30, 2010, 12:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

Without any doubt we can say Shafiul has been the most promising new face in recent past. I would not lie, I thought he would be just another tapash baisya after his first game, but then he slowly found his feet in international cricket and quickly became our second best pacer. He has a better cricketing brain than most of our players, though he has cracked under pressure a few times, I am sure as time goes by he will develop a much stronger character and perform better in death over. There is still the landing of his front foot that he should work on and he must try to reduce the number of hit-me deliveries, and boy please put on some meat. I can't believe how such a skinny fella can knock 88mph.

I see Shafiul leading the Bangladeshi pace attack in the near future, may Allah bless you .
Old July 30, 2010, 12:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All the Tigers

Safi needs a good mentor to guide him. He is such a great prospect. And about Imrul, ugly but effective.
Old July 30, 2010, 12:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Good Luck to Imrul & Shafiul.

Thanks for sharing the article.
Old July 30, 2010, 05:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

I thought that Siddons would be the mentor of Kayes.But here story is different.Sujon is his mentor rather than JS even Shafiul also saying same way?
It makes sense.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old July 30, 2010, 06:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

imrul kayes didn't mention anything about JS.hmmmm,interesting....
Old July 30, 2010, 06:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Imrul Kayes is a 'very' good batsman by our standard. His stats for List A (minus international ODIs) is impressive with an average of 44.5 at almost 80%. For ODIs, he looks ugly because of the team strategy. Tamim is given the license to kill and he is given the grafter option. Still he has managed to score at 67% with an average of 30, which is good enough. He has problems with fast short pitch deliveries; but it is a common deficiency of subcontinental batsmen. He needs some confidence and more freedom to improve on his game.

About Shafiul, I am not sure, if I can provide an unbiased statement. After Mash, he is the best pacer in my book. I like him very very much for his ability to bowl yorker at the death. He will grow up as a match winner.

It came as a bit of surprise that Chacha is the mentor of Kayes. We were hearing that all credit should go to JS for 'creating' Kayes!
Old July 30, 2010, 06:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Wow, Shafiul doesn't know how to bowl a LEG CUTTER?

Seriously, this proves my point - the lack of a good bowling coach is a serious serious problem faced by the team. Now he has to seek the help of Khaled Mahmud for learning the basic skills? Oh my, more respect to this lad, for whatever he's done without proper coaching.
Old July 30, 2010, 10:05 AM
ODI Cricketer

I m worried about Shafiul, because I didnt know he suffered from a back injury. That means we have to use him carefully, otherwise he will become another Mashrafee. For that he needs to build up some muscle in the proper places and gain ome weight as he is way too skinny. Apart from that, he needs to wrk on his control of line and length. But I have confidence that if he manages to play continuously, he is sure to improve. I really sometimes day dream what the likes of waqar Yunus or Aqib Javed could've done to Shaiul and Rubel as I m sure if we had good fast bowling coaches in the national team, these two young bowlers would improve vastly. But our bench strength scares me the most because apart from Mahrafee, Shahadat, Rubel and Shafiul, we dont have any back-up fast bowlers at all. Rasel and Nazmul are way too slow to worry any batsmen in today's cricket. If our bench strength had some competent pacers, Shafiul and Rubel could've less burden on their bodies and we can avoid "burning them out" too early

I m impressed with Imrul Kayes too, even if the naysayers complain how his strike-rate is low but that will improve as he continues to play and mature. I mean just look at Gautan Gambhir. And the other fact is, if everyone really focuses they will see Tamim isnt as consistent in the one-day format, so imagine if Imrul also fails and becomes inconsistent, where does that leave us? I will rather have a slow, steady batsman than a gung-ho reckless opener who gets out after playing the way he wishes an throws his wicket away. Whatever his flaws might be, Imrul has the willingness and determination to improve and learn and above all, he values his place in the national team and intends to keep it. I mean just look, how much he worked on his game and improved his technique against the short ball, it just shows his determination to learn and improve imself. And I m confident that his strike-rate will improve too.

We now have a skilled side and now we only need a coach who can instill the fire to beat all odds and get them to be more positive.
Old July 30, 2010, 10:44 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark mage
I m worried about Shafiul, because I didnt know he suffered from a back injury. That means we have to use him carefully, otherwise he will become another Mashrafee. For that he needs to build up some muscle in the proper places and gain ome weight as he is way too skinny. Apart from that, he needs to wrk on his control of line and length. But I have confidence that if he manages to play continuously, he is sure to improve. I really sometimes day dream what the likes of waqar Yunus or Aqib Javed could've done to Shaiul and Rubel as I m sure if we had good fast bowling coaches in the national team, these two young bowlers would improve vastly. But our bench strength scares me the most because apart from Mahrafee, Shahadat, Rubel and Shafiul, we dont have any back-up fast bowlers at all. Rasel and Nazmul are way too slow to worry any batsmen in today's cricket. If our bench strength had some competent pacers, Shafiul and Rubel could've less burden on their bodies and we can avoid "burning them out" too early

I m impressed with Imrul Kayes too, even if the naysayers complain how his strike-rate is low but that will improve as he continues to play and mature. I mean just look at Gautan Gambhir. And the other fact is, if everyone really focuses they will see Tamim isnt as consistent in the one-day format, so imagine if Imrul also fails and becomes inconsistent, where does that leave us? I will rather have a slow, steady batsman than a gung-ho reckless opener who gets out after playing the way he wishes an throws his wicket away. Whatever his flaws might be, Imrul has the willingness and determination to improve and learn and above all, he values his place in the national team and intends to keep it. I mean just look, how much he worked on his game and improved his technique against the short ball, it just shows his determination to learn and improve imself. And I m confident that his strike-rate will improve too.

We now have a skilled side and now we only need a coach who can instill the fire to beat all odds and get them to be more positive.
Ya we really need to test out more pacers or else Shafiul and Rubel could burn out..Suvashis, Emon, and Sajidul are some guys that we need to bring in and test out..Dolar Mahmud should also be brought back..yes I know his bowling is really wary but remember how well he did in that 5th ODI against Zimbabwe on such a dead track? He showed a lot of talent there and really impressed me..if we persisted with Rubel then we should have definitely kept Dolar around the squad..his batting is also pretty handy down the order..Shafiul though definitely seems the best out of the lot and hopefully he stays injury free..if handled properly he can be even more dangerous then he already is..

If Imrul can be anywhere close to what Ghambhir is then I will be ecstatic..he is kind of like him in that he bats with an aggressive opener and is known as the more defensive of the openers even though his SR is an 84 in ODIs..also another thing is that they both struggle with the short ball..even then look at how high Gambhir averages..Imrul will definitely improve and he can be a very solid player if he can follow the footsteps of Ghambhir..
Old July 31, 2010, 05:57 AM
ODI Cricketer

I just read Imran Khan's interview in Cricinfo and there was a part where he discussed how he helped shape Wasim and Waqar when they were still young and new. While reading it, I thought how much Shafiul-Rubel needs a mentor like that who can take them under his wing and teach them the art of fast-bowling and be aggressive. The stupid BCB can only talk big and spend money on corruption but they cant hire a good famous fast bowling coach. Just take Mashrafee for example, he still says how much he learnt from Andy Roberts and that it still helps him, while Shafiul and Rubel has no one like that to guide them through, and there are no scenior bowler in the team to give them advice. I dont know if its just me, but I have noticed that both Rubel and Shafiul seems to have lost some pace because Rubel could bowl consistently in the higher 80s but now he mostly bowl in the mid 80s, that's because no one encourages them to bowl fast and be agressive and Siddons' defensive mentality doesnt help either
Old August 1, 2010, 06:50 AM
Cricket Legend

^^^^i thought that rubel's line and length were hampered due to so much speed so he reduced
Old August 1, 2010, 07:25 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Those who remember the point of KM's inclusion as asst coach, could see the difference straight way and knows whatever has improved in the team after that, KM has a major share of contribution in that. The pro JS guys blindly credit JS for Imrul's improvement, where as Imrul himself never credit's JS, how many more evidence you guys need? Bhat ekta tiple ki bujha jaye na? Naki Harir shob bhat tipte hobe?

You may try to fathom contribution of JS. He always keeps himself around the guy who performs best and tries to take credit of his performance. This guy (JS) has no clue of how to coach. that's why he was used by Aus cricket to only throw balls at the players as asst coach, which gave him some shoulder inury and he was quick to cash in it as well. He has no clue of setting objectives, planning for it and achieving it within a given time frame. He made a mess of all these things as a coach of BD team, everytime he came up with some plan, it was nonsense and a person with little bit of cricketing commonsense could understand that.

Last edited by BANFAN; August 1, 2010 at 07:39 AM..
Old August 2, 2010, 04:44 AM
Cricket Legend

i am starting to lose faith in JS after reding this article...
Old August 3, 2010, 06:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamisa
i am starting to lose faith in JS after reding this article...
We have already lost faith in him, he is destroying BD cricket and some of the players.
Old August 3, 2010, 08:42 AM
Cricket Savant

Shafi & Rubel got some serious potentiel to become more effective than Mash.
I ony wish there was a good bwlng coach for these 2 aswell as for Mash & Rajib.
Old August 3, 2010, 09:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark mage
I dont know if its just me, but I have noticed that both Rubel and Shafiul seems to have lost some pace because Rubel could bowl consistently in the higher 80s but now he mostly bowl in the mid 80s, that's because no one encourages them to bowl fast and be agressive and Siddons' defensive mentality doesnt help either
One thing we often forget, these guys who are playing for the nation are not breast feeding babies, they came through a rather difficult process and worked hard for what they are. Not everything has to be spoon fed to them, players must take responsibility. If playing for their nation is not enough to encourage them to bowl faster, run harder then they should all give up their spot.