facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 28, 2008, 12:05 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya
Default Why the Kapali Hate, Him like many others are just misused

These Kapali should never be 1000 feet from the Nat'l Team is ridiculos

Ok I get it he's a Horrible Batsmen But He's a decent Leggie, He's no Chubby Womenizer, He does a have a Million Dollar Smile for the ladies, I Still think Sakib < Kapali in terms of Bowling, In an Ideal World you could have Kapali + Sakib Bowl 5 Overs Each, Let him Bat @ 7/8 Get a Stylish 0-20 Score and than get out

When We Beat Lanka, thats exactly what his role was and did it perfectly

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/stat...ch/238169.html

One thing JS is working on and Will Succeed is knowing everyones role, he's working on it, Come August BD is going to Well Oiled Running Machine 1-11 From all departments

Leave Ollie Alone!!!!!!

Old June 28, 2008, 12:17 AM
Cricket Legend

I share your concerns about people bashing Kapali=it is irrational.
People just don't understand the value of a leggie. On the other hand i don't think it is fair to compare Sakib next to Kapali They each have a different career path and history. I really hope Sakib comes back-miss his presence in the team , just like Rafique.
Old June 28, 2008, 12:35 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Alex's positive is his bowling variety, but he still needs to work a lot on it to be a threat to reckon, in international cricket. He gets beaten too often for my liking for a leggie.

Meanwhile if he can improve upon his batting slowly, could be useful. Comeon Alex move on. Problem is that he is taking too much time for improvement. How long does he need?
Old June 28, 2008, 12:38 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

Alex? Haha. Kapali is a bowler who can bat a bit. If we all saw him in that wavelength, things would make more sense to all of us.
Old June 28, 2008, 12:44 AM
Cricket Legend

alex??=alok

DARUN! i will use this anglicized nick.
Old June 28, 2008, 12:46 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

problem is he's being played as a middle order batsman and a bowler, rather than a bowler who can bat a bit. he's taken some wickets in the matches he's played this year so he's not totally useless, but he should only be in the team if he can take a bowling spot because atm i prefer shakib and riyad for the allrounder spots. depends on the bowling attack i guess, if they only want 2 pacers then kapali is a possible candidate for one of the spin slots otherwise he'd have to take razzak or shakib or riyad's spot in the team.
Old June 28, 2008, 12:59 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: An honest player; a trier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
problem is he's being played as a middle order batsman and a bowler, rather than a bowler who can bat a bit. he's taken some wickets in the matches he's played this year so he's not totally useless, but he should only be in the team if he can take a bowling spot because atm i prefer shakib and riyad for the allrounder spots. depends on the bowling attack i guess, if they only want 2 pacers then kapali is a possible candidate for one of the spin slots otherwise he'd have to take razzak or shakib or riyad's spot in the team.
I disagree if you're thinking Riad is better than Kapali. Think Kapali is better than Riyad in batting. He can succeed more often in batting than Riyad. As in bowling, Riyad is too much like Sakib, isn't he? Since Sakibis a regular, I'd like to see Kapali ahead of Riyad as an all-rounder at the moment. Kapali is a leg-spinner after all. Maybe Kapali or Riad will perform outstandingly in the second round of Asia Cup. Then it would be easier to pick one.

Kapali's definitely got the shots in batting. And he's also got a test hattrick.
Old June 28, 2008, 01:00 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Ollie has yet to overcome his mental block as a batsman at the highest level, obhaisly. I'd say don't expect more than 30 from him before he learns to chase away those demons, only GOD knows when, and expect none of the class we've seen in domestic cricket.

But his LBs, though a bit on the expensive side as most LBs tend to be, add much needed variety to our attack, get wickets, and can be developed further. He scripts good variations in terms of loop, length and bounce. He gives the sort of flight that when not hit for runs, can always get you wickets.

He's still an excellent fielder.

So, YES, I too say LEAVE OLLIE ALONE ... LOA !

Won't happen though. He's the ideal scapegoat because of the high expectations we have of him. So whenever he fails, he'll be singled out.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; June 28, 2008 at 02:42 AM..
Old June 28, 2008, 01:12 AM
Test Cricketer

I think it's important to note that when you select a player, you consider all his performance as a whole, not just his one game. In case of alok kapali, he returned to the national team this time because he had a very good season in the domestic cricket as a bastmen and he did quite good as a bowler too. As a batsmen he was in the top two/three. So obviously he wasn't just playing as a bowler who can bat a little. He is in the team as a solid alrounder, more so as a batsmen. But look at his stats it's embarrassing at best.

If we are to look at a single performance of a player to justify his inclusion in a team, than Ash's 100 against aussie is good enough for him to never think about getting kicked out of the team ever.

Players needs to be in the team because of their performance, not because of their (supposedly) million dollar smile.

Besides Sakib !< kapali , sakib smokes kapali for breakfast.
Old June 28, 2008, 01:40 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafiz

I am with kapali this time around... I didnt like him the last time he was with the national team, but this time around, he has taken wickets, and his bowling figures are as good as the other bowlers if not better than many. So even purely as a bowler he has done well enough.
As for batting, I am always up for a kapali instead of an aftab. At least we know the role instead of thinking he will score a century and getting a 10. This way we atleast know what we have... a few quick runs or boundaries.
This guy has all of aftab plus some quality bowling, and I am totally in his favour. He would also do a lot of good in test if properly coached.
Old June 28, 2008, 01:45 AM
Cricket Guru

riyad in his first 12 innings as a batsman has done better than kapali did in his first 12 innings as a batsman, also did better than his last 12 innings as a batsman. i don't really care about talent if it isn't utilised, so kapali might be more talented than riyad as a batsman but riyad is still the better batsman because he performs better.

BD don't need these under performing talents anymore. SN, shakib, riyad and raqibul all average above 30, when was the last time 4 BD batsmen in the national team averaged over 30? if kapali is going to continue to average 19 while riyad continues to average 32 then i'd much prefer riyad over kapali as a batsman.

as for bowling the only thing that might make kapali better than riyad is that he's a leggy and that he's recently taking more wickets than riyad. if you look at kapali's complete ODI bowling record it's really not that great. also, being that shakib is a left handed offie (well not exactly an offie but it's easier to refer to him as an offie) and kapali is a right handed leggy then doesn't that make kapali and shakib more similar than riyad and shakib (shakib and kapali spin it the same direction, shakib and riyad spin it different directions)? just because riyad and shakib are both offie doesn't mean they are that similar. one bowls right handed the other left handed, one skids the ball more than the other.

Last edited by Gowza; June 28, 2008 at 02:03 AM..
Old June 28, 2008, 01:49 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahaz
I disagree if you're thinking Riad is better than Kapali. Think Kapali is better than Riyad in batting. He can succeed more often in batting than Riyad. As in bowling, Riyad is too much like Sakib, isn't he? Since Sakibis a regular, I'd like to see Kapali ahead of Riyad as an all-rounder at the moment. Kapali is a leg-spinner after all. Maybe Kapali or Riad will perform outstandingly in the second round of Asia Cup. Then it would be easier to pick one.

Kapali's definitely got the shots in batting. And he's also got a test hattrick.
Stats speak for themselves. Batting wise you are comparing between day and nite, sorry but Riyad is much much better than Kapali, at least so far...

And bowling wise... Sakib bowls slow left arm orthodox, and Mahmudullah bowls right arm Offspin, and Kapali bowls right arm Legspin, so all three are different... not too much like each other.

If you are choosing BETWEEN kapali and riyad..... riyad wins the battle by miles as is...
But im hoping that both can be in the team at the expense of Aftab until he gets over his 50-mark mental-barrier. Because this guy is "supposedly" a superb and talented batsman... and if thats what he is... a batsman... then he needs to "bat" and not close his eyes and hope the ball hits the bat...

Not an aftab hater... just dont like the fact that hes taken to be one of our very best, because if thats considered "excellent" in our team, then we can never be amongst the best. As much as possible, we must get rid of this kind of players, and fix our own attitudes toward the game, or at least help them get to where they should be instead of entertaining their bu**Sh**

If however Kapali/or any other batsman starts their own set of Bu**Sh**, then we need to get rid of them the same way and give a chance to someone who has learnt their lesson and is ready to perform...

Last edited by Foozy; June 28, 2008 at 01:54 AM..
Old June 28, 2008, 01:50 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foozy
I am with kapali this time around... I didnt like him the last time he was with the national team, but this time around, he has taken wickets, and his bowling figures are as good as the other bowlers if not better than many. So even purely as a bowler he has done well enough.
As for batting, I am always up for a kapali instead of an aftab. At least we know the role instead of thinking he will score a century and getting a 10. This way we atleast know what we have... a few quick runs or boundaries.
This guy has all of aftab plus some quality bowling, and I am totally in his favour. He would also do a lot of good in test if properly coached.
well he has to keep taking wickets, he didn't do that before but if he keeps doing it then i wouldn't be so against taking only 2 pacers and 3 spinners into a match. as for batting, like i said before they're playing him in the middle order, he needs to be batting 7 or lower for his batting role to be considered as just getting a few quick runs. batting at 6 means he has to be able to play those long innings when the team needs it.

i agree with the aftab comment though, it's better to take a player like kapali who basically can do what aftab does with the bat but has much more to offer with the ball.
Old June 28, 2008, 02:02 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
he needs to be batting 7 or lower for his batting role
Gowza, I totally agree with that statement of yours, and I have never figured out why they are doing this with him. Mahmudullah can very well bat higher up. The guy takes singles and doubles and few boundaries and plays well.

A player like Aftab or in this case Kapali should always play much lower down, but above the bowlers such as Mash.

Its like a last resort, as you still have someone to hope for.... or if an acceleration in run rate is needed, they can be brought in higher up. But our team dosent seem to be using any common sense. They just have a fixed batting line up and bring in the "next guy" so to say....

In that regard i dont know what to say... bad captaincy or coaching..?? which ever it is...
its really bad... It used to happen during bashars time, and its still happening now in the Ashraful era...
Old June 28, 2008, 02:43 AM
Cricket Savant

Ollie Kapali, hat-tali
Dim parhe
Hali, hali
Paurhe shobar
Mukhe kali
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old June 28, 2008, 02:48 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

I would prefer Alex in the team purely as a bowler and he should compete for one of the bowlers spot. He should bat around 8-10. He should try to concentrate on his bowling, anything from bat is bonus.

I know it's hard to accept for some, but he is cluless in batting on most occasions and that's not helping him in any way to establish himself as an intternational cricketer.

He can serve Bangladesh cricket for a long time purely as a leggie. He just need a bit more consistency in length, he has got the variations, the odd googly and the line is also pretty consistent. I believe it will be lot easier to achive that consistency in bowling compared to batting. It's time to understand the reality and put emphasize on his real potential.
Old June 28, 2008, 02:50 AM
Cricket Savant

FINALLY Miraz and I agree 100% on the issue.
Old June 28, 2008, 04:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Nice nick Alex...who gave this name??
Old June 28, 2008, 08:50 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Kapali is on Cult Status now

EDIT: I was wrong about his batting
Old June 28, 2008, 09:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
I would prefer Alex in the team purely as a bowler and he should compete for one of the bowlers spot. He should bat around 8-10. He should try to concentrate on his bowling, anything from bat is bonus.
What about today.... Alex did some awesome Batting
Old June 28, 2008, 09:11 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Ollie has yet to overcome his mental block as a batsman at the highest level, obhaisly. I'd say don't expect more than 30 from him before he learns to chase away those demons, only GOD knows when, and expect none of the class we've seen in domestic cricket.

But his LBs, though a bit on the expensive side as most LBs tend to be, add much needed variety to our attack, get wickets, and can be developed further. He scripts good variations in terms of loop, length and bounce. He gives the sort of flight that when not hit for runs, can always get you wickets.

He's still an excellent fielder.

So, YES, I too say LEAVE OLLIE ALONE ... LOA !

Won't happen though. He's the ideal scapegoat because of the high expectations we have of him. So whenever he fails, he'll be singled out.
Thank you Ollie for proving me wrong. Keep doing it my brother. Your father (RIP) is watching over you.
Old June 28, 2008, 11:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Sorry to burst the ballon. His 84* cemented his place for two years; so this must cemented his place for ever.
Old June 28, 2008, 02:23 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

The reason for Kapali hate is very simple, and actually very justified even though hate is too strong of a word in this contest. the reason is, he stays in the team without justifying it. that has multi fold meaning. team plays with 10 players, someone else who deserve it does not get the chance. many time a promising player can get only one chance in life, and for last 6 years, such chances has been ruined by him, when we know he cannot produce. true he can make in 6 years interval, in flat pitch and against ordinary bowling attack good innings, but those does not bring in wins because in those condition others actually plays much better, may be not from our side, but that is a different matter all in itself.
Old June 28, 2008, 03:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: TIGERS !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
The reason for Kapali hate is very simple, and actually very justified even though hate is too strong of a word in this contest. the reason is, he stays in the team without justifying it. that has multi fold meaning. team plays with 10 players, someone else who deserve it does not get the chance. many time a promising player can get only one chance in life, and for last 6 years, such chances has been ruined by him, when we know he cannot produce. true he can make in 6 years interval, in flat pitch and against ordinary bowling attack good innings, but those does not bring in wins because in those condition others actually plays much better, may be not from our side, but that is a different matter all in itself.
Yeah to your judgment others from our side Tamim scored double century Mushfique scored 150 and Ash triple on the same pitch. So faltu Alok doesn't deserve the credits.

And other talents because of Alok doesn't get chance in the team, is Alok the George Bush that he own the bd team or is he is Bill gates who provide his money power to capitalize the team. Your comments sounds nothing but very much of hallucination.
Old June 28, 2008, 03:23 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

at least they don't take 6 years. even more, regardless of how much they scored, the thing mattered most is whether we won or lost. so, sure tamim's fifty against india is much more important that alok's century.

what he did today is excellent, but that is not even close to enough to the damage he has done. reminds me of the classic provarb গরু মেরে জুতা দান