facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old July 28, 2007, 02:50 PM
Banned

Default 'V' Koi Thakya Aise?

I've noticed that some Bengalis write in a style in which Bangla is usually not spoken. For example 'Vai' (Bhai) and Mishtir 'Vandar' (Bhandar). Why this unnecessary affectation? Is it a Dhakaiya thing?

As far as I remember from my GCSE Bengali days, there is no equivalent to the letter 'V' in the Bangla bornomala.

Old July 28, 2007, 03:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

hahahahahahahaha great thread topic. I used to hate this usage of V too. BUt I found out the reason. There are some khet people who pronounce the alphabet "V" as bhi (as opposed to wee) and subsitute the alphabet V for the bangla word "bho".
Old July 28, 2007, 03:13 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

I have issues with the usage of "V" as "Bho" ... irritating. Not a big fan of "Ch" meant to work as a "Ch'ho". The use of "J" or "Z" as "Jho" bugs also.

Sadly, unlike Japanese, we do not have the Bangla equivalent of "Romanji", the standardized way writing the language using the Roman alphabet. Too much to expect when Mashrafee is spelled "Mashrafe", Russel "Rasel", Masud "Mashud" and my favorite, Dollar "Dolar" ... shrilly mid-off.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; July 28, 2007 at 04:08 PM..
Old July 28, 2007, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
I have issues with the usage of "V" as "Bho" ... irritating. Not a big fan of "Ch" meant to work as a "Ch'ho". The use of "J" or "Z" as "Jho" bugs also.

Sadly, unlike Japanese, we do not have the Bangla equivalent of "Romanji", the standardized way writing the language using the Roman alphabet. Too much to expect when Mashrafee is spelled "Mashrafe", Russel "Rasel", Masud "Mashud" and my favorite, Dollar "Dolar" ... shrilly mid-off.
We do.

Virtual Bangladesh : Survival Bengali : Transliteration Schema
Old July 28, 2007, 04:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

as i grow older i find that the diversity of accents, pronunciation or the vernacular associated with various regions in bangladesh or uk doesn't bother me so much anymore. as a child and even as a teenager and in my early twenties, i would make fun of such things, but not anymore. now i find a peculiar interest in such matters and find it all the more interesting to chat with someone who has a different accent than the rp i normally associate with.
Old July 28, 2007, 05:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Sadly, unlike Japanese, we do not have the Bangla equivalent of "Romanji", the standardized way writing the language using the Roman alphabet.
Wikipedia has a very thorough Bengali-to-English Romanization scheme. It's used in all Bengali-based article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Bengali compares various schemes including the one used for wikipedia itself.
Old July 28, 2007, 10:32 PM
Cricket Legend

On another note we always should mention our language as 'Bangla' not 'Bengali'.Sadly lot of people still say 'Bengali' to mean the people who speak Bangla. It is our responsibility to represent our culture and language, no one will do it for us. Despite being a foreign media the Voice of America says 'This is VOA, now in Bangla' when they start their Bangla programme. But we do not have currect awareness.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old July 29, 2007, 03:29 AM

From my post from this thread earlier this month:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Bangali's
have problems with the "bh" vs "b" and "ph" vs "f". The pure 'f'
and 'v' fricatives are absent in Bengali. We say Bhabi and not Vabi.
Also phool=> flower vs fool=>bokah. Correct Bangali pronunciation
needs labio-dental fricative aspiratives [Gotcha!!].
You will find replication of this problem in written form, even on these forums. Having associated ph=f or bh=v in the native lingua, the construction of bengali words in the english alphabet [sic] is therefore incorrect. People do write vabi instead of bhabi, while pronouncing the latter form. Even when teaching english to bengalis, this same problem seems to inverse itself where the letter Z is pronounced as J, and the letter J as the English Z. (eg. Project = Prozect, Zero=Jiro )

Old July 29, 2007, 09:41 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Cool. Thanks Z-bhai, we need Bangla Academy to recognize this. On second thought, that may take another lifetime.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old July 29, 2007, 09:43 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
Wikipedia has a very thorough Bengali-to-English Romanization scheme. It's used in all Bengali-based article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Bengali compares various schemes including the one used for wikipedia itself.
Thanks for the excellent dig. Definitely a keeper, although all the accents can make the Bangladeshi system somewhat dysfunctional for many. BTW, IMHO you ought to do your Phd in Semiotics, possibly from Columbia.

Last edited by Sohel; July 30, 2007 at 04:53 AM..
Old July 29, 2007, 10:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHasan
On another note we always should mention our language as 'Bangla' not 'Bengali'.Sadly lot of people still say 'Bengali' to mean the people who speak Bangla. It is our responsibility to represent our culture and language, no one will do it for us. Despite being a foreign media the Voice of America says 'This is VOA, now in Bangla' when they start their Bangla programme. But we do not have currect awareness.
While I don't disagree with you, note that this happens to other languages too (and not just languages, names of countries as well): for instance "English" in English, is "Anglais" in French, and "Ingreji" in Bangla.

On a somewhat different note, while my wife (American, but speaks, reads, and writes Bangla) has no problem identifying any of the three "raws" (ড়,ঢ়,র) based on how they sound, she has some difficulty in distinguishing individual "shaws" (শ,ষ,স). Now I can certainly hear the difference (as opposed to knowing say, where the tongue is when one pronounces them), and I presume most native Bangla-speakers can. Otherwise, I fear that this might ultimately lead to the elimination of some "shaws" . I am sure some of the old-timers, like me, remember the vowel "li" which disappeared during my childhood. Speaking of which, do any of you remember any Bangla words in which "li" was used?
Old July 29, 2007, 06:41 PM
First Class Cricketer

interesting thread!

Last edited by tutul; July 29, 2007 at 06:47 PM..
Old July 29, 2007, 06:42 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAS
Is it a Dhakaiya thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
There are some khet people who pronounce the alphabet "V" as bhi (as opposed to wee) and subsitute the alphabet V for the bangla word "bho".
Good call Shahriyar bhai
Old July 29, 2007, 08:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
While I don't disagree with you, note that this happens to other languages too (and not just languages, names of countries as well): for instance "English" in English, is "Anglais" in French, and "Ingreji" in Bangla.

On a somewhat different note, while my wife (American, but speaks, reads, and writes Bangla) has no problem identifying any of the three "raws" (ড়,ঢ়,র) based on how they sound, she has some difficulty in distinguishing individual "shaws" (শ,ষ,স). Now I can certainly hear the difference (as opposed to knowing say, where the tongue is when one pronounces them), and I presume most native Bangla-speakers can. Otherwise, I fear that this might ultimately lead to the elimination of some "shaws" . I am sure some of the old-timers, like me, remember the vowel "li" which disappeared during my childhood. Speaking of which, do any of you remember any Bangla words in which "li" was used?
Actually we say Ingreji to mean English and it is our own way of saying. Now if some foreign people say Bengali then there is nothing to do here but we need to make sure that we are doing our part precisely. Still I would like us to give up saying Ingreji and should say it as English. And the same thing applies to the foreign people as well.

As for the 'li' - was it placed after the vowel 'ri' ?

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old July 29, 2007, 08:49 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHasan
Actually we say Ingreji to mean English and it is our own way of saying.
Not really. Ingreji is fact Bangla word. For example in Spanish we use Indio(Indian), Inglés(English),Inglaterra(England),Asiático(Asi an),Alemán(German),Francés(French) etc.

Last edited by reverse_swing; July 29, 2007 at 11:07 PM..
Old July 29, 2007, 10:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Coming back to this topic. Just to show how insanely idiotic the usage of V is if it is pronounced as the bangla word "bho": The word "very" will be pronounced as "bhery" if V was equivalent to the bangla BHO. So the fools who use V this way should realize how insanely idiotic it sounds !!!!! I always thought about posting a thread about this but then again I thought it might appear a bit rude or condescending to those people since quite a few here use V instead of the bangla "Bho" but now that the cat is out in the open I have let myself loose on the topic. There are a few other things which I find very very irritating so I am hoping some others would pick them up and start threads on those so that I can let myself loose on those topics as well. Just for a peek "Lose" and "Loose" are not the same in meaning... GOOD LORD, how people misuse these two simple words !!!! Ajker jonno ar na boli eishob stupidity niye.

Last edited by layperson; July 29, 2007 at 10:14 PM..
Old July 29, 2007, 10:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

I use "V".

Udaharon:
-Valo Vashbo Vatti nivaiya.
-Amar buar kaam Vua
- Valo Beshe Veshe Gechi
Old July 30, 2007, 12:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Shesh porjonto Orpheus o khet brigade join korlo !!!
Old July 30, 2007, 01:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: BD Team Players

Hey Shahriyar uncle what happened to you?? Barely ever see you coming to BC or are you in invisible mode??
Old July 30, 2007, 01:12 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
Shesh porjonto Orpheus o khet brigade join korlo !!!
could you please use a more appropriate pronunciation like khayt or something better ?(its not e-kar, its jo-fola+ aa-kar) khet sounds like khet-khamar.
Old July 30, 2007, 01:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Eita bheri good shuta na.
Old July 30, 2007, 01:34 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhurr
Eita bheri good shuta na.
Old July 30, 2007, 01:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumon77
Do you think this is bheri phunny?
Old July 30, 2007, 01:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafis_BD
Hey Shahriyar uncle what happened to you?? Barely ever see you coming to BC or are you in invisible mode??
Hahaha Nephew I do come but not as much as before. Student life had its perks which now I dont have.

Sumon bhai, thank you for pointing it out. Is "Khat" better than "khet"?

Dhurrrr miya dhurr bhai ki je bolen. Eto nice shuta ekta ar apnar pochondo holo nah.
Old July 30, 2007, 01:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Shahriyar, thik ase. tomar mone koshto dibo na. eita khub valo shuta.