facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old August 25, 2005, 04:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Khaldea Zia ranked #14 among the most powerful women by Forbes

Prime Minister of Bangladesh

As the first women to become Prime Minister of Bangladesh, the most powerful political position in the country, Zia, 59, has long been holding the reins of power in this area of South Asia. Zia made history when she became Prime Minister in 1991, serving until 1996. She was elected once again in 2001. As the widow of assassinated prime minister Ziaur Rahman, one of the prominent heroes of Bangladesh's liberation war, Zia also leads her deceased husband's old party, the Bangladesh National Party. Once a shy and withdrawn housewife, Zia has revitalized the education sector, particularly for young girls.-E.M.

link

Great achievement by a bangladeshi women to make the list and rank so high.

Edited on, August 25, 2005, 9:04 PM GMT, by allrounder.

Old August 25, 2005, 06:33 PM
Cricket Legend

I was a little surprised not to see Hasina on the list too. Almost everything they said about Khaleda could be said about her too, unless the list is being limited to people presently in power. Please don't interpret this as my preferring one of these ladies over the other (I'd like to see an end to clan worship); it's merely an observation.
Old August 25, 2005, 06:39 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
As the widow of assassinated prime minister Ziaur Rahman
Ziaur Rahman was a Prime Minister also? I did not know that.
Old August 26, 2005, 06:27 AM
Club Cricketer

I am bit of confused in which category she is falling on to become one of the most powerfull woman in the world ( I'd ask the same question for Hasina too). Is she the more powerful in a sense that she (or her boys) can kill anyone or force ppl to listen what they say and / or amount of wealth she is inherited from the broken suitcase. Guy's dont mind abot my comment as most of u agree that our politicians as a whole are most corrupted in the world.

revitalized education sector?They must be joking. We do not have any proper english/math teacher in our rural school and colleges. There are only few lucky guys who come out from the university can manage to get a decent job. I can't stop laughing after seen her in the most powerful woman top list!

Edited on, August 26, 2005, 11:42 AM GMT, by ejaj_a.
Old August 26, 2005, 08:13 AM
Cricket Sage

Boy !!! I didn't realized the list of recognizable and powerful women leadership is still so small and so compromized. I went through the 25, and kind of disapointed.

But congratualtion to K Zia any way.

Edited on, August 26, 2005, 1:53 PM GMT, by Fazal.
Old August 26, 2005, 11:07 AM
ODI Cricketer

This is kinda bizarre if you start to look at it from different angles.

Condoleezza Rice is #1.. …This whole Mess-o-Potamia (Iraq) quagmire is largely due to advice coming from Ms. Rice and Company. This is what our president stated when announcing Rice’s promotion:
"During the last four years, I've relied on her counsel, benefited from her great experience and appreciated her sound and steady judgment".

Hmmm…got me thinking about this whole ‘powerful women’ thing and process of nomination in Forbes.
Old August 26, 2005, 12:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Mirror, mirror on the wall… who is the most powerful woman in the world?

Old August 26, 2005, 09:48 PM
Banned

Good one.
Old August 29, 2005, 10:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by ekatturerBangalee
This is kinda bizarre if you start to look at it from different angles.

Condoleezza Rice is #1.. …This whole Mess-o-Potamia (Iraq) quagmire is largely due to advice coming from Ms. Rice and Company. This is what our president stated when announcing Rice’s promotion:
"During the last four years, I've relied on her counsel, benefited from her great experience and appreciated her sound and steady judgment".

Hmmm…got me thinking about this whole ‘powerful women’ thing and process of nomination in Forbes.
Actually, Condi wasn't largely responsible for the Iraq mess. The origin of the mess is largely a product of the neocons (essentially all the people who signed on to the Project for the New American century) -- primarily Rumsfeld, Cheney, Richard Feith, Scooter Libby, Kristol, etc. Condi is an old Cold War Soviet hand (and with very little knowledge of handling anything outside the Soviet area of influence) who has now inherited this mess at State. That's not to say that she isn't at fault; but the main responsibilty for the mess should be laid at the feet of Rummy and Co.

I found the Forbes list somewhat skewed: two Supreme Court Justices at ranks 6 and 7, Cheri Blair having greater influence than several female heads of state, etc.