facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 3, 2004, 01:03 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default Some lessons to be learnt, including by Whatmore

Everybody should learn a few lessons today, including our coach Dav Whatmore.

- Ashraful should learn that one day he can score a fifty against an opposition and thus win the match for us, and the next day, the same opposition can be hard to get away and thus lose the match in the process

- Nafees should learn that ....

- Aftab should learn that even if he scores 80, by far the highest individual run by any Bangladeshi within the last 10 to 20 games for Bangladesh (in both International and practice matches) he can't win it for Bangladesh

- Foisal should learn that his quickfire 50 may increase the run rate to where it could never have been, but he must learn that even a total of 250 is not a safe score for Bangladesh, not against even an ICC Associate team, let alone a test team, so he should learn to score a quickfire 100 not just a fifty to help Bangladesh win

- Rajin should learn to be the captain ON THE FIELD and learn a few lessons as the captain

- Whatmore should learn the fact as to HOW WE DISPISE OF OUR COACHES when we lose to ICC Associate teams, no matter how good those coaches are PLUS he is already being compared to Mohindar Amarnath even before our loss to Scotland, now I don't even want to dare to think of what will happen to Dav after this Scotland loss - OUR VERY FIRST LOSS TO AN ASSOCIATE TEAM UNDER DAV WHATMORE, THE MAGICIAN BEHIND SRI LANKA'S WORLD CUP WIN

Old September 3, 2004, 01:06 PM
Retired BC Admin

Today, I'm after you Fahmida.

What do you learn?
Old September 3, 2004, 01:11 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Fw
While I understand your pain, please, take it as what its worth on the face value. This is a practice match. Time to give individuals chances to see what they are made off. We learnt that we need a good no5 or 6 capable of scoring qucik runs which faisal did today. Bowlers probably let us down a bit today, but, it also gives us an oppurtunity to see who plays in the final squad.
Who is comparing Whatmore to Amarnath? come on..you must be joking. There is no comparison.
Old September 3, 2004, 01:19 PM
First BC Member

Quote:
Who is comparing Whatmore to Amarnath?
Somebody who gets a lot of cheers (and lots of prizes) for being a writer (in bengali).
Old September 3, 2004, 01:22 PM
First BC Member

I learnt that I MUST BE 'BE MYSELF'.

And I must not be influenced by the words of many members in this forum.

I almost changed my mind (about being cautious I mean) when I saw 24 off last 2 overs and everybody was saying we're winning, we're winning.

And in the end, I am more depressed than I should have been, if only I had not believed in those 24 off last 2 overs thingy!

This is what I learnt.
Old September 3, 2004, 01:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
FW.After losing take half an, a long breather, glass of passion juice, don't check Cricinfo,bbc...
I have learnt to lick wounds. I am getting good at it. Really good. Like BD team. That' what we all are learning, Dave, The team, Tarek, Habibul, some fans...I hope. That's the only way to get ready for next match.
Old September 3, 2004, 01:52 PM
Cricket Legend

i dont see why people are blaming whatmore for no reason......
after all he was not playing. amader bollerder jodi scottish batsmanderke out korar shamortho na thake i dont see why whatmore has to be blamed for no reason. poor guy......amader coach hoye ki paptai na korsilo. aikhane becharake criticize kora hochhe
Old September 3, 2004, 01:53 PM
First Class Cricketer

whatmore is a good coach, i like him
Old September 3, 2004, 01:54 PM
Test Cricketer

Ok. I've learnt this - i was right saying we need to get rid of bowlers like Tareq Aziz, Alamgir kabir (not in the team) ASAP. Rajin's performance graph would have similarity with Dravid's one. He's good at longer game, but in shorter form of the game he needs bit more experience and more shots in his bag.
We can actually sort out our batting problem within this year if everything goes well for Nafees and Aftab. I'm eagerly waiting to see how Rana did today.
Old September 3, 2004, 01:54 PM
First Class Cricketer

This is a practice match, and our best bowlers were rested. It is pointless to try to the field the best team for every meaningless practice match, because that defeats the purpose. I bet Whatmore didn't care nearly as much about the outcome of this game as we did, and hence he wanted to give some unknowns a little bit of exposure.
Old September 3, 2004, 01:56 PM
First Class Cricketer

so what can whatmore do to make our player good
Old September 3, 2004, 02:21 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Quote:
Aftab should learn that even if he scores 80, by far the highest individual run by any Bangladeshi within the last 10 to 20 games for Bangladesh
oh man! sorry, woman, how did u forget nafis's royal century so quickly?

Edited on, September 3, 2004, 7:22 PM GMT, by AgentSmith.
Old September 3, 2004, 02:26 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

the only consolation is, we did not play our best 11. 3 of the 11 played today should be out of the team for CT. this is my lession.

no tareq: ever
no nazmul: at least in 3 years
no alamgir: ever
we still need chacha: in seaming condition

use can use u19 bowlers like talha if we do not have enough pacer. but our try should be to keep tapash and masri fit.
Old September 3, 2004, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentSmith
the only consolation is, we did not play our best 11. 3 of the 11 played today should be out of the team for CT. this is my lession.

no tareq: ever
no nazmul: at least in 3 years
no alamgir: ever
we still need chacha: in seaming condition

use can use u19 bowlers like talha if we do not have enough pacer. but our try should be to keep tapash and masri fit.
How quickly we turn on our players.
Remember Tareq and our win vs Zimbabwe?

Quote:
With 13 runs to defend in the final over, Tareq Aziz bowled Stuart Matsikenyeri and Doug Hondo with consecutive deliveries, to prompt unfettered scenes of joy in the Bangladeshi dressing-room, not to mention among their fans back home.
Edited on, September 3, 2004, 7:51 PM GMT, by Zunaid.
Reason: Zinmbabwe?
Old September 3, 2004, 02:41 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

The Daily Star is reporting that Taposh remained on 20 not out, along with 17 not out from Rafiq. So, Taposh did play. Wonder who had the last over? Could it be that Tareq bowled the last over? I am speculating here, but won't be surprised if he did, since he was the guy who bowled us to victory against Zim in a last over as well. Interesting..
Old September 3, 2004, 03:21 PM
Cricket Legend

hahaha agent smith bhai thik bolsen.........poor woman!!!!!!!!!!!!!! she have the correct information before posting here something really altu faltu....................coach whatmore ke abar ki jani shikhte bole.......ari whatmore ki atoi bekub naki je oke aikhane eshe shikhte hobe.....faltu.....
Old September 3, 2004, 03:44 PM
Retired BC Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by fwullah
Excellent one. But you know what, there are plenty of other things to learn to be onself from, let alone this match or even cricket for that matter.

The loss was disappointing but never depressing. Look at all those positives. This is the first time in a long while our upper order showed their true potential. Aftab came out big with his real self. Faisal showed once again what he is capable of. And above all we managed to play all 50 overs sensibly without collapsing and post what could be called a respectable total.

After posting that total, our bowlers aparently didn't gave their best and they were not required to. I'd rather advice them to go easy on practice conditions than to risk injury. We are already paying for those injuries. We can not afford any more physical disadvantages. Yet, it was a close game and both team can take credit for that, more so for the Scottish side understadably.

In the last game we won but only after a batting mess in the middle. So was the matches against Ireland. The wins were tainted to a large extent nonetheless.

We can improve our bowling quite easily. Razzak, Masri, Talha are just knocking at the door. But it takes a lot to make similar improvements in the batting department. Today the tigers made a perfect batting display we can easily be proud of regardless of the outcome.
Old September 3, 2004, 04:10 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿

I learnt somethings too ...

1. I need to STOP going after chacha after every bad performance (which he does have many but who doesn't). So, Chacha, you are still goo d in my eyes. I will never doubt you and play on as long (OH MY GOD) as you want to. an someone remind me of these promise in case I forget (which I very well might). Thanks in advance.

2. Hey, we lost and I wasn't even sad. Oh yes, I was pipped but you know what, the scots have beaten us many times before and this was JUST a practice match. We also didn't play our number one boler - CHACHA.

3. Fwullah's posts are very depressing and I should ignore them. Also, I could care less if a so called journalist compares Whatmore to Amarnath. I can start comparing Ash to Tendu, doesn't make it a fact. You need to know the difference between a quality writer and a whack job.

I personally do not despise Whatmore. I feel sorry for him cause his players are letting everyone down but that's about it. He can't go out here and play. He is no magician, he simply had a better team in his hand.

Great job by Faisal, Aftab and Nafees. It'll be childish to expect ANY cricketer to score big in every single match. Apart from Rajin's one, the batsmen did well. The best thing they can learn truly is if everybody puts in soe runs on the board, we can consistently cross 200.

Where we really goofed up is our bowling. Tapash and Tareq failed in this match. Hope they do better in the trophy matches.

By the way, I'm glad we lost this one. Now there is no pressure of doing bad against USA cause we already did it today.
Old September 3, 2004, 04:16 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

GUYs/GALLS

need to learn the most important thing which is: TAKE A PRACTICE MATCH AS an practice match??????

You people r putting too much effort and thinking to this PRACTICE GAME....

Though bd shouldn't have lost it but teaching whitemore how dare....
Old September 3, 2004, 09:24 PM
First Class Cricketer

Call it a practice match or whatever, the Scots have won a remarkable match. In their books, this is a MATCH THEY WON AGAINST A TEST PLAYING NATION.

Did they deserve to win this match?

I would say no. Because our batsmen thought 259 was a LOT OF RUNS for an Associate team. Our fielders thought, "we can pass 3 hours time doing EASY FIELDING'. Our bowlers thought, "TIME TO TAKE IT EASY. No real hurdles".

And this is the result. Whether Scotland deserved to win this match, I am not sure. But we deserved to lose just because of our attitude.

259 for 6 is only a sentence that sounds good. I would have been much happier if we scored 275 all out. Its the runs that matter, not how many wickets we had kept untouched....

Oh yeah. There is a LOT OF THINGS FOR EVERYONE TO LEARN.

Thanks fwullah for introducing the word 'LEARNING'. This is exactly what we all need.

Sorry if my comments hurt some of you.....

MOOD: NEGATIVE ONCE IN A WHILE

Edited on, September 4, 2004, 2:29 AM GMT, by DOORBIN.
Old September 3, 2004, 10:19 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

why don't we say that BD played a horrible game (i'm not saying we did, but it might be the truth)? teams can play poorly e.g. pakistan in 99 WC against us. plus scotland are an up and coming team, they beat ireland in the intercontinetal cup quiote convincingly, and ireland as we all know beat WI and surrey. i think that after kenya (or even along with them) ireland and scotland should get the test status...they are ahead of teams like namibia and nepal. ireland and scotland are not that weak compared to us in ODIs.

I am hopeful that BD will play well in the champions trophy. there failings in asia cup could be because of complacency from previous successes. know they know that failure can occur at any moment (asia cup and today against scotland).
Old September 3, 2004, 10:22 PM
Cricket Guru

loosing against Scotland is not only shameful but just put the players' confidence level down..there is no way they can beat WI and SA...shalader lojja nai
Old September 4, 2004, 12:03 AM
First BC Member

Alright, I admit I was feeling bad while writing the original post in this thread right after the match.

But now I'm only beginning to realize our actual causes behind the loss especially after watching the scorecard.

We were all speculating yesterday that Tapash is not playing, Foisal hit a quickfire fifty etc. But in the scorecard, it says Foisal took 71 balls to make his 54 (which by any means is not a quickfire thing) and Tapash did bowl the last over of the Scotland innings.

So anyway, these are the bowling figures that we should look into now:

Nazmul 10 1 35 2
Tareq 10 0 61 0 (3 no balls)
Tapash 10 0 74 1 (3 no balls)
Rafique 10 0 32 2 (1 wide)
Rana 10 0 49 1 (2 wides)

The conclusions that I could come up just watching these figures is that

- Rajin had done the best that he could have as the captain, yes there were a few things like for instance he bowled out Rafique earlier (or did he?), but since none of us has seen this match on our own eyes, so we can't say for sure if it was the right or the wrong decision for Rajin.

- We see that 2 bowlers - Nazmul and Rafique gave least number of runs, yes, true, but were they bowled in the depth or not?

- Tareq, Tapash and Rana were the most expensive, (Rana being the least expensive among the 3 expensive), and yet you'll see that even before that last over (where Tapash gave away 14 runs) Tapash's bowling figures were somewhere like 9 overs 60 runs

- Tareq was not bowled the last over, it was Tapash (according to Prothom Alo).
Old September 4, 2004, 12:13 AM
Retired BC Admin

The no-ball at the last over was the killer I guess. When a game this close, bowlers should be extremely carefull to guard against no's and wides.

It might have been wise to try out a few overs with Rajin himself and Ash in the hope of a breakthrough in the middle. Our opponents tried many a times more than 5 bowlers and they were succesful.

If I remember it correctly, Mudassar Nazar of Pakistan was used succesfully to break apart a set partnership. Practice matches are good to try out these ventures.
Old September 4, 2004, 12:35 AM
First Class Cricketer

I told ya before, BD is beatable by the thease assoc members & wacha our for BD & USA practice match.