facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 7, 2017, 02:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing
Default Make or Break Test Career match for Mahmudullah Riyad

The time has come, the guy I admired and vouched for becoming Bangladesh's next captain in all format has to face his toughest test for his career yet. His test career I feel has come to a standpoint, where this very test match will either make him or break him. He hasn't scored a test half century for 16 innings, and his only test century came in 2010. Just not good enough for a batsman at a pivotal 4th or 5th position. With all his experience, he should have been a better contributor for his team.

I feel this series and this only match will be the turning point in Riyad's test career. I hope he recognizes this hour of need and performs, if he doesn't I am sad to say, it is time to look at the bright future one of Nasir, Mosaddek, Shahriar Nafees and many others hold for a test slot. We just can't accomodate a batsman of a 30 average in that crucial spot.

So guys, what do you think? Will Riyad stand up and take this opportunity or will he perish?
Old February 7, 2017, 02:49 AM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

we have been saying this for a while now. Its frustrating as a Riyad fan to watch him fail. I hope he performs but its his approach that has gone downhill in this format and I dont see him changing it so quickly. The quickest way to change it, is to simply drop him and make him pay for his lack of responsibility as a senior.
Old February 7, 2017, 04:33 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Regardless of what happens in this match, still dont think Mahmadullah upt Test match level.

He is so lathergic these days, drops catches, apart from his really questionable tempremant. I think its time we start investing in a new player before it gets too late.
Old February 7, 2017, 05:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Abul

Who said? He will have the back up from senior players so he is not going anywhere else.
Old February 7, 2017, 05:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Doubt it.. When was the last time we dropped a "senior"..
Old February 7, 2017, 09:25 AM
Cricket Sage

In Bangladesh cricket, there is nothing called "Make or Break series" for senior players.
Old February 7, 2017, 06:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

He needs a triple century to redeem himself slightly. There is no place for Riyad in test squad. This guy just went under radar somehow...because he was at a sweet spot where not too much was expected of him and he "improved his shorter version game" giving us a illusion that he deserved a spot...

I feel like vomiting every time i see this guy in test line up. There are many other players who atleast deserve 1/10th the chances this POSER got...

Even Sarkar gets the chop so shortly despite being a much superior player but not this guy.. I don't get it..
Old February 7, 2017, 07:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Kohli

fans these days.

One good innings against us and the same people calling for his head will be drooling over him
Old February 7, 2017, 10:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_1
fans these days.

One good innings against us and the same people calling for his head will be drooling over him

Despite what we say ..when he plays every true bd fan want him to do well ...

I hope he scores a double ... but history says chances are low of that happening ... but we still want it .....

This is the only call I think is not knee jerk ..
Old February 8, 2017, 06:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Kohli

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
Despite what we say ..when he plays every true bd fan want him to do well ...

I hope he scores a double ... but history says chances are low of that happening ... but we still want it .....

This is the only call I think is not knee jerk ..
My post wasn't directed to you buddy, I was talking about fans in general, we have become too impatient as fans these days.

Anyways Riyad is too quality of a bat to go down this easily, I am sure he will come back stronger.
Old February 8, 2017, 09:58 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_1
fans these days.

If you carefully notice you will learn they are not the same people. When it comes to Ryad everyone in BC has a position. When he does well the haters go quiet but his fans raise their head above water and vice versa when he flops.
Old February 7, 2017, 08:46 PM
Cricket Legend

I think senior or not his days are really numbered if he continues to do what he did. Everyone is talking about it, Mohammad Islam just posted an article after my post went up yesterday here. You can sense that if he fails this test match, he will be dropped for the next series. We have to move forward here, doesn't matter if he is a non-contributing senior person. Look at Sri Lanka, they just dropped Chandimal, he has an ODI average of 34, for ODIs it is actually quite good. And guess what, he was their ODI captain as well, mind boggling when you think what Bangladeshis think about the senior players.

It is simple, should be, you perform and score runs, have an average of 35 in ODIs and avg >40 in tests, nobody will utter a single word against you. You average less than 30 in ODIs and maybe take into account your SR, which should be atleast above 75 otherwise you are creating a huge deficiency for the team then you should be dropped, and you should atleast average 40 in your Tests career, with away games set at atleast 30. If you can't after 20 tests, it is time to drop your sorry a$$ and bring in a young gun.
Old February 7, 2017, 09:55 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

If he gets a chance, I think he scores a 50 in this test. Indian bowling is not that good. HHS.
Old February 13, 2017, 09:40 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
If he gets a chance, I think he scores a 50 in this test. Indian bowling is not that good. HHS.
Really HHS.
Old February 7, 2017, 09:57 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

He is on borrowed time. I would love to have seen Mosaddek playing the top spin attack in the world in these conditions. We know Tamim, Mushy, and Shakib are world class. Mominul had a fantastic rookie year, but his average has been disappointing in the recent past. He did just enough to keep the hope alive in NZ. But he needs to score heavily here to stamp "world class" onto his CV. Needs a hundred or a sum total of at least 150 runs to keep going.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 8, 2017, 11:24 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wang Liqin

I had same expectation from Mullah that he could be our future captain. He seemed a good finisher (despite his few massive fails which cost the match), can bowl and most importantly keeps his cool. All these pointed to one direction - captaincy; but his match temperament in recent test matches and continuous fails in batting with some competitors knocking at the door to get into test squad takes him to a position which we call "Do or Die".

Mullah (31) seems even more lethargic than Misbah (42) in the field. From his perspective, he is perhaps destroyed inside failing consistently in batting and that could result in his presence on the ground.

I still wish him luck in this test. If he fails to produce anything on subcontinent pitch against Indian bowlers, he should be dropped immediately from test squad.
Old February 8, 2017, 09:52 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

I think he will get another opportunity in Sri Lanka

After which the team management may consider his place
Old February 8, 2017, 10:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al-Sagar
I think he will get another opportunity in Sri Lanka

After which the team management may consider his place
I highly doubt that is going to happen. Talented players like Mosaddek, Liton, Nasir, Shahriar Nafees can't get in the team because of a 30 average guy? Are you kidding me?

Riyad is experienced no doubt, he has been close phenomenal in the limited overs cricket no doubt although there are dips in form every now and then, but in tests cricket you just can't average 30 and still be in the team. No way.

I am not a hater, look up my threads on Riyad, I fought with everyone here for Bangladeshi captaincy because I still think he is a born leader, but it seems he can't keep his place in this team anymore, he has to do something special in the India test match, his time is coming to an end, only he can sort of take control. I don't know if I still believe he can do it, he needs to curb his ODI & T20 instinct and really look to play long.

It is Do or Die for Riyad.
Old February 9, 2017, 12:20 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanvir_nus
I highly doubt that is going to happen. Talented players like Mosaddek, Liton, Nasir, Shahriar Nafees can't get in the team because of a 30 average guy? Are you kidding me?

Riyad is experienced no doubt, he has been close phenomenal in the limited overs cricket no doubt although there are dips in form every now and then, but in tests cricket you just can't average 30 and still be in the team. No way.

I am not a hater, look up my threads on Riyad, I fought with everyone here for Bangladeshi captaincy because I still think he is a born leader, but it seems he can't keep his place in this team anymore, he has to do something special in the India test match, his time is coming to an end, only he can sort of take control. I don't know if I still believe he can do it, he needs to curb his ODI & T20 instinct and really look to play long.

It is Do or Die for Riyad.
its true. i too feel the talented guys need a chance.

but everything depends what the team management feels ????

what is the performance criteria that they will consider as the breakeven point for his dropping ????

what will they do if riad scores a century ???

what will they do if riad scores a two 30ish score ????

SL tour will be a good oppurtunity for somebody like mosaddek to get a debut or bring back nasir or liton in as a batsman/keeper. after that we have difficult away tours.
Old February 8, 2017, 10:03 PM
Club Cricketer

Pathetic selections. Hasn't scored a hundred since 2010 Lmao. I hope he scores two ducks so finally they drop him. No I don't want to root for this guy anymore. He seems disinterested and taking his place for granted. Why the heck is he so special that he can play one good innings and seal his spot for 50 tests when we have other players working hard in the domestics. Nepotism, corruption needs to be handled without mercy or else good luck improving in cricket
Old February 12, 2017, 01:29 AM
Cricket Legend

2nd Innings will be his last chance. Will he take it? He has a chance to become a hero if he saves the test match for Bangladesh.
Old February 12, 2017, 01:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanvir_nus
2nd Innings will be his last chance. Will he take it? He has a chance to become a hero if he saves the test match for Bangladesh.
he wouldn't be able to save this match even if his wife threatened to leave him.

I will bet my money on Tamim and Mominul to save this match...
Old February 12, 2017, 03:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Riad has one last oppurtunity, even if he scores a 50 we should play Litton as a keeper batsman or Mosaddek who will be effective in Sri Lanka
Old February 12, 2017, 03:54 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

You or me don't get to decide which match is the make or break for a player.
Old February 12, 2017, 03:57 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Also, I am betting he will score a 60-70 since his position in the test team is in doubt. Then he will again sleep for another 4-5 series before scoring another career saving 50. This phenomenon is called The Mullah Cycle.