facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 6, 2018, 04:03 AM
Club Cricketer

Default Bangladesh belittled by CA after Dhaka win

Bangladesh's inaugural Test victory over Australia in Dhaka last year was belittled by Cricket Australia's team performance chief Pat Howard as being achieved by players who were not up to Sheffield Shield standard, a new book has revealed.

In Australia's first Test after the fractious 2017 pay dispute, an underprepared team lost narrowly to Bangladesh on a sharply turning pitch and were immediately leapt upon by sections of the media as overpaid prima donnas. In Gideon Haigh's Crossing The Line, an account of the build-up to this year's ball-tampering scandal, Howard is shown to have harangued senior figures across Australian cricket in an emailed reaction to the defeat.

"I am sitting in a cafe in Dhaka hotel at the conclusion of the first Test loss ever to Bangladesh. I am personally embarrassed and take accountability and happy to accept any criticism that comes our way," Howard wrote. "For some of you sitting here in Dhaka you are fully aware of how poor a result this is and you have a material opportunity to address in the next few days.

"Rightly the system is often judged on the outcomes of the national team. As you can imagine there are many questions being asked of us, and I think they are fair. I am reasonably confident that many of the players that have just beaten us would not get a run in any of the state teams.

"To the CA Team Performance - When you go home at the end of the day, does what you do actually make a difference? CA spends over $100m on players' wages and teams, all in the effort of producing great national teams. We have failed, you have failed and I have failed and it is not good enough."

Howard's unflattering depiction of the Bangladesh side Australia had just lost to was followed by an improved performance and a victory by the tourists in the second Test, but also by the cancellation of Bangladesh's scheduled visit to Australia for Tests this year. It is part of a wider picture painted by Haigh of arrogance and disconnection in Australian cricket, a sobering tale for the new chief executive, Kevin Roberts.

Elsewhere, Haigh depicts the growing problems confronted by Australia's ODI team, which one player described as being nothing like a team, while another criticised the former coach Darren Lehmann's lack of detailed information about how to improve performances. "A player summed up the one-day side in a word: 'Individuals'. There were no basics, no planning. You got together in the morning, went your separate ways at night. It never felt like an Australian 'team' in any sense of the word."

"Another player felt that Lehmann had fallen into this coaching fashion simply through running short of things to say: 'I love Boof. He's got a great heart and he loves the players. But, really, he hardly coached technique at all. 'You're struggling? Just whack it.' 'You're going for runs? Just bowl yorkers.' 'We'll smash them.' He really just had no other answers but to try and build up this arrogance.'"

Haigh, one of the world's foremost cricket writers, authored with David Frith the official history of Cricket Australia in 2007. The picture painted by Crossing The Line is of much that has happened since, focusing on the fact that, as an unaccountable monopoly, the governing body has become arrogant, secretive and inconsistent.

"Cricket Australia operates as monopoly and monopsony, unregulated, unrestricted and untaxed," Haigh writes. "If one wishes to work in the sport, there is every incentive to stay the right side of the country's sole promoter of cricket attractions and employer of cricket talent. Over the last decade, the organisation has also grown increasingly secretive and sensitive - paradoxically, with each year that it has grown richer and more powerful.

"Some who've raised questions these last few years have been penalised for their trouble. Asked to sum up the culture of Australian cricket, one of my interviewees put it more succinctly than I ever could: 'Bullies and sycophants.' Said another, by way of contrast: '[Australian rules] Football gives you one in the belly. Cricket gives you one in the back. It is full of good haters.' Quoting them directly would hardly improve their employment prospects. But these voices do need a hearing."

What do you guys think? Disrespectful or not?

Old October 6, 2018, 04:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Most of the Australians are still in 2000s era mindset in how they think of Bangladesh team. Many of them don't follow BD results much and no BD matches gets broadcasted in Australia so to them we are still the same team full of Hannan Sarkars, Tushar Imran and Javed Omar and Tapash Baishya I think. Brand Bangladesh will only improve when we do something like reaching a world cup final or win it, something which won't be forgotten easily.
Old October 6, 2018, 04:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

We can post on this thread all we want to make ourselves feel good, but the only way we can shut up the critiques is by winning or getting to the final of a world cup.

Other than that, I'll let these guys judge the team as much as we want, its not like we don't show shades of the past era anymore.
Old October 6, 2018, 06:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Sour grapes much? Meh
Old October 6, 2018, 07:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Australia were belittled when they lost against BD. Words are cheap. Results matter. Play us more instead of hiding behind excuses and you will see what is handed to you and who is the little guy.

Chances of Australia losing in our backyard is very very high in both tests and ODIs. this is the new reality. Everyone is king in their own backyard.

Besides India, i don't think there is a single team that can persistently beat us at home in tests and ODI.
Old October 6, 2018, 08:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
Australia were belittled when they lost against BD. Words are cheap. Results matter. Play us more instead of hiding behind excuses and you will see what is handed to you and who is the little guy.

Chances of Australia losing in our backyard is very very high in both tests and ODIs. this is the new reality. Everyone is king in their own backyard.

Besides India, i don't think there is a single team that can persistently beat us at home in tests and ODI.
That is why they come up with excuses like security reason to not tour us.

When we were really weak, there was no such excuse.
Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself- AJH| Don’t disrespect your life by living aimlessly – set goals and work hard to attain them.
Old October 6, 2018, 08:06 AM
Cricket Legend

If we get the opportunity to play them, play our best, and beat them.

Don't worry what people say at your back. Do your best and move on. This world is, after all, has always been and always will, be a racist place.
Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself- AJH| Don’t disrespect your life by living aimlessly – set goals and work hard to attain them.
Old October 6, 2018, 01:25 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyahm
What do you guys think? Disrespectful or not?
What do you think? You seemed to have quoted a source that does agree.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old October 6, 2018, 01:26 PM
Cricket Savant

Yes, I am sure THIS source is shady too huh?

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/n...7-1898317.html

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old October 7, 2018, 05:45 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

So typical
Old October 7, 2018, 06:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Well they don't follow BD cricket hence have no clue. It was shocking for them. I remember during the T20 WC warm up game where bd scored 150 ish and i think it was pointing who said that they were shocked to see BD score so much.

Before this test match, the last time these two played, Jason G scored a double 100. So dont be surprised with the undermining.
Old June 19, 2019, 08:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Even if we don't win tomorrow I want the players to show that they have the ability to get a run in any of the state teams in Oz.
Old June 19, 2019, 09:17 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat_02
Even if we don't win tomorrow I want the players to show that they have the ability to get a run in any of the state teams in Oz.
Bhai, once I mentioned this in prematch discussion and felt the wrath of our elite members.
Old June 19, 2019, 09:32 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Aussies and Kiwis cricketers and sport journalists are normally scum with the latter being the worst.

Ozzies havent had a proper slap on the face like England and India did which inshahAllah we hope to do someday soon. Kiwis have been rolled over many times by our side and still they open their dirty mouths.

I say screw all these people who's linage are mostly probably from prisoners
Old June 19, 2019, 09:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnsu
Aussies and Kiwis cricketers and sport journalists are normally scum with the latter being the worst.

Ozzies havent had a proper slap on the face like England and India did which inshahAllah we hope to do someday soon. Kiwis have been rolled over many times by our side and still they open their dirty mouths.

I say screw all these people who's linage are mostly probably from prisoners
It sometimes shocks me how ignorant some of these pundits and experts are when it comes to our cricket, some even think Afghanistan/West Indies are better despite being ranked below us in ODIs. As Cricket experts they really should be following cricket around the world. They should be ahead of any normal fans in their cricketing knowledge as it is their job unlike us who don't take this sport as a profession.

That is why we need to give them a memory to remember , something that will separate us from any minnows and upsets in the past.
Old June 19, 2019, 10:04 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat_02
It sometimes shocks me how ignorant some of these pundits and experts are when it comes to our cricket, some even think Afghanistan/West Indies are better despite being ranked below us in ODIs. As Cricket experts they really should be following cricket around the world. They should be ahead of any normal fans in their cricketing knowledge as it is their job unlike us who don't take this sport as a profession.

That is why we need to give them a memory to remember , something that will separate us from any minnows and upsets in the past.
They do follow Bangladesh cricket to an extent but its just plain snobbery and being scumbags. Also supporting Afghanistan is the positive PR they want to portray to the whole that they have compassion over a country which is war torn.

English pundits were the same with scum bags like Mark Butcher and Kevin Pitersen. The former has changed his tune but the latter remains a scumbag as he isnt really English.
Old June 19, 2019, 12:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

Win against australia, only that will give a bit of respect
Old June 19, 2019, 01:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

They have a point. Rahim the wk won't get into a high school Aus cricket team, let alone the state teams.

I wish we had a Pat Howard to keep expectations high 24/7, and not bend over backwards for some insolent pests like Rahim.
Old June 19, 2019, 01:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
They have a point. Rahim the wk won't get into a high school Aus cricket team, let alone the state teams.
Alex Carey > Rahim? In terms of batting that is
Old June 19, 2019, 02:02 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: where do i start from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque

I wish we had a Pat Howard to keep expectations high 24/7, and not bend over backwards for some insolent pests like Rahim.
Go ahead bro I am with you... Always and forever till his gloves or he himself goes away.. there is a reason why he is called "the midget" all around the world..

And that's not because he is short.
Old June 20, 2019, 10:05 PM
Cricket Sage

True that, none of those bowlers will get chance to any of their state teams. Fizz did not have an IPL team last time Shakib was hardly selected.