facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 8, 2019, 02:29 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default WC 2019: Game by Game post-mortem

Its funny how everyone criticizing the team and players (Mashrafee, Mushy, Tamim) were also the ones predicting "BD would lose every game" and "Afghanistan are better than us".

You guys are the definition of bandwagon or fair weather fans. Typical Bangali with borderline personality disorder: we beat Irealand and 2nd string WI team so Bangladesh is a great team. We finish 8th in the world cup due to a combination of bad luck and poor cricket so the knives come out.

I had always been predicting we would win between 4-5 games. My prediction was correct: we won 3 and lost the 4th win due against Sri Lanka to rain.

So here is a game by game analysis of our world cup campaign since many of you still won't buy into what I'm saying:

South Africa (Win)
South Africa are chokers, and they were poor even by their underachieving standards. Still a team with QDK, Faf, Rabada, Ngidi, and Tahir are no pushovers. They had no trouble beating Afghanistan or Sri Lanka. They even took down the mighty Australians. Coming into the tournament we had to beat one of AUS/IND/ENG/NZ/SA and this game notched that.
FInal Grade: B+. We scored 330 with everyone in the top order contributing although SA's fielding was terrible. The runs still had to be scored though, and we did. We bowled and fielded fairly well. In particular the wickets of Markram (bowled Shakib) and Faf (bowled Mehidy) were terrific balls.

New Zealand (Loss)
We actually didn't play that badly. Lets not forget brilliant fieliding (the best I've seen in my 16 years following the game and about 10 years watching cricket) easily saved 30 or more runs for NZ. I know because I was actually at the ground. We batted well enough to score 270-280 and ended up with 245. Full credit to NZ. Can't criticize our boys that much. Yes, Mushy f***d up a stumping and there is no justifying or ignoring that matter. Still, we forget that we fought back from an impossible position and at one stage even had the upper hand when NZ were 8 down and still 20 runs behind.
Final Grade: C+. Probably the best you can play and still lose a game. We really did give this one all we had.

England (Loss)
Poor bowling really. Conceded close to 400, granted it was England. Batting was lackadaisical as well, although we did manage to score 280, that was almost all Shakib. A very poor effort overall.
Final Grade: D.

Sri Lanka (No result)
No game, and in all likelihood we lost 1 point here. That 1 point alone would have made us finish 6th, which would not have been that bad a finish.
No Grade

West Indies (Win)
The highest successful chase of this world cup. And done inside 42 overs. It was a total demolition job. Fantastic batting. Simply stupendous. Bowling was perhaps mediocre, but the Fizz struck clutch blows once again.
Final Grade: A

Australia (Loss)
Tough game. One of the best, if not the best side in the tournament. Like the England game, we bowled crap. But the batsmen stood up. Scored 333 batting second against a very strong bowling attack. Rahim was the main star this time.
Final Grade: B-

Afghanistan (Win)
Self explanatory. Solid performance on a tough wicket.
Final Grade: B

India (Loss)
28 run defeat was actually more of a blowout than the score suggests. Still it was a good effort from Saifuddin. Bangladesh did show some heart first with the ball as Fizz took a 5-fer and then with the bat as well. Had we won the toss and batted first, a total of 286 or 300+ would quite possible have delivered a W
Final Grade: C

Pakistan (Loss)
The only winnable game we lost. This was a very disappointing performance, but it doesnt erase the achievements of the current team and players.
Final Grade: F

Assigning numbers to the grades gives a squence of:
3.3+2.3+1.0+4.0+2.7+3.0+2.0 and that divided by 8 gives a GPA of 2.288 on the 4.0 scale. That is basically a C+ overall. Not a great world cup, but not a terrible one a la 2003 or 2011.

#OneTeam1Dream

Old July 8, 2019, 02:56 AM
Cricket Legend

If an adolescent child comes home with a GPA of 2.28, most sub-continental parents will welcome him with wooden spoon, slipper, and belt
Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself- AJH| Don’t disrespect your life by living aimlessly – set goals and work hard to attain them.
Old July 8, 2019, 03:34 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

I am not bothered by our result. Before start I said we will finish 8th and we finished 8th. I questioned if we can win more than 3 and we did not

I am angry though with how we started and how we finished and what happened in between
Old July 8, 2019, 03:39 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeFair
If an adolescent child comes home with a GPA of 2.28, most sub-continental parents will welcome him with wooden spoon, slipper, and belt
Yes but even India would have a GPA scarely above a 3. How?

Beat BD by only 28 runs = C
Beat AFG by only 13 runs = D
Took 48 overs to chase 230 vs SA = C
Lost to England = D
Beat PAK = A
Beat AUS = A
Beat WI = B+
Beat SL = B+

2+ 1 + 1 + 1 + 4 + 4 + 3.3 + 3.3 = 2.45 GPA

Actually not even a 3. Bear in mind this according to Indian fan expectations. With same results, BD's GPA would have been a 4.0.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 8, 2019, 08:55 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

We got the ability, but just lack with consistency. Clearly, the Pakistan game, they looked demotivated since they knew it was a dead rubber. Batting is fine. Bowling just lacks that bit of bite. Apart from two games, fielding was awful, and that along with the bowling cost us dearly. We played better than the results suggest, and could've quite easily been a lot different. Luck, also played a role. In the end, I would say it was an average tournament for us. The youngsters actually did well in this campaign. I was impressed, especially with Saifuddin, Mehedi and Mosaddek. Mehedi should bat at #5. We need to groom him as the next Shakib. It was only the two experienced players, Tamim and Mashrafe, which badly let us down. Tamim was pathetic with the bat; Mashrafe was pathetic with the ball.
Old July 8, 2019, 09:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan

Lost to England = D
Beat PAK = A
Beat AUS = A
Beat WI = B+
Beat SL = B+

Actually not even a 3. Bear in mind this according to Indian fan expectations. With same results, BD's GPA would have been a 4.0.
Let me do my evaluation of India's performance:

Beat BD by only 28 runs = C (because lucky to win toss)
Took 48 overs to chase 230 vs SA = B+ (batting second was tough)
Lost to England = C (would have been a B, but got C because did not show intent at the end)
Beat PAK = B+ (lucky that PAK asked them to bat first)
Beat AUS = B+ (because lucky to win toss)
Beat WI = B (lucky with toss, B because WI is weaker than AUS and WI)
Beat SL = A (total dominance)

GPA: 2.81/4.00

Did not cross 3, which means the team India has some vulnerabilities and not invincible as media hypes it to be.
Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself- AJH| Don’t disrespect your life by living aimlessly – set goals and work hard to attain them.
Old July 8, 2019, 09:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Here is my BD's analysis:

SA B+ (few blunders in fielding, thus not A)
NZ D+ (NZ fielded well but we were unable to find gap at all, thus D+)
ENG F (Chose to field first like a fool, thus F)
SL NA
WI A (only successful chase of 250+ in this WC, thus A)
AFG B (lucky that AFG put us to bat first, thus B)
IND B (played well but was unlucky with the toss)
PAK D (unlucky with the toss but fielding and bowling were horrible)

Overall GPA: 2.67/4 which is C+

Not that different from India in group stage.
Old July 8, 2019, 09:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Here is my grading scale:

A 4
B+ 3.5
B 3
C+ 2.5
C 2
D+ 1.5
D 1
F 0
Old July 8, 2019, 09:47 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeFair
Here is my grading scale:

A 4
B+ 3.5
B 3
C+ 2.5
C 2
D+ 1.5
D 1
F 0
A = 4
A- = 3.7
B+ = 3.3
and so on...

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 8, 2019, 09:51 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
I am not bothered by our result. Before start I said we will finish 8th and we finished 8th. I questioned if we can win more than 3 and we did not

I am angry though with how we started and how we finished and what happened in between
We finished 8th due to rain. Assuming we beat SL (highly likely) we would have finished 6th, with 4 wins, even losing to India and Pakistan. My hope was we'd also beat Pakistan (if we batted first quite likely), and we'd have 5 wins.

My prediction was also that 5 wins would be enough to sneak into the Semis with NRR. And that also turned out to be correct.

It was disappointing to meekly surrender to PAK, but the rest of the tournament actually went according to our aproximate place as a 5th/6th ranked side and better than our pre tournament official ICC rank of 7.

Nothing great, but not as bad as people are making it sound.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 8, 2019, 10:12 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Tamim was a huge disappointment this world cup. I don't buy into the theory that he is not good at world stage. last Champions trophy, he did just fine. got a Hundred against England, and almost a hundred against Australia and even against India in the semi final he got 70 odd. I get it Tamim had a few tough outs...but what about the matches against South Africa, NZ and England? these are the matches where he will look back and say "I could have done better"...

Mashrafe is our strike bowler. our Leader. it's unacceptable for our Strike bowler to average 350 with the ball. completely unacceptable. any other team, and he would have been shown the door.

These "little things" is what separates us from #8 and semi Finals. can't blame the youngsters: all of them had something to show for it. Even Mehedi...
Old July 8, 2019, 11:48 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:

Lost to England = D
Beat PAK = A
Beat AUS = A
Beat WI = B+
Beat SL = B+

Is this some kind of a joke? India finished number 1 in the group stage. India is still a contender to win the cup even with their weak middle order and an aging Dhoni is still 100x better than our superstars.

Even if they lose against NZ they would have met the expectation of reaching semis.

It doesn't matter how you slice and dice it. BD campaign has been a total disaster in the end. I am sorry but finishing ahead of just AFG and WI is not good enough even by our standards. Everyone need to be held accountable. Why was BD afraid to change the top order especially when top order was doing jack? Why Mashrafe continued to bowl even with 300+ average? Is this run by team of professionals?

I am sorry but they get a flat out D from me, and that too because of Shakib performance. We need to raise our standards, no more freebies for Soumya, Liton, Mossadek. One fluke innings is not good enough!
Old July 8, 2019, 12:22 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousGuy
Take out that Pakistan game and it was actually not a bad tournament. One result messed up everything.
That loss is a blessing in disguise because now people won’t be living in a false pretense that we had a great tournament.

I followed BD Cricket from 2007, I recall even then we beat a much more powerful India and RSA with Ashraful, Aftab, Syed Rasel(?), etc.
Old July 8, 2019, 05:48 PM
Street Cricketer

One win would've taken us to 5th. Can't really say it was a disaster
Old July 8, 2019, 06:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookFinder
That loss is a blessing in disguise because now people won’t be living in a false pretense that we had a great tournament.

I followed BD Cricket from 2007, I recall even then we beat a much more powerful India and RSA with Ashraful, Aftab, Syed Rasel(?), etc.
Exactly
Old July 9, 2019, 01:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Is this some kind of a joke? India finished number 1 in the group stage. India is still a contender to win the cup even with their weak middle order and an aging Dhoni is still 100x better than our superstars.

Even if they lose against NZ they would have met the expectation of reaching semis.

It doesn't matter how you slice and dice it. BD campaign has been a total disaster in the end. I am sorry but finishing ahead of just AFG and WI is not good enough even by our standards. Everyone need to be held accountable. Why was BD afraid to change the top order especially when top order was doing jack? Why Mashrafe continued to bowl even with 300+ average? Is this run by team of professionals?

I am sorry but they get a flat out D from me, and that too because of Shakib performance. We need to raise our standards, no more freebies for Soumya, Liton, Mossadek. One fluke innings is not good enough!
It depends on what you analyze: the results or the performance.

Take AFG's matches against PAK and IND for example. In both of those two games, AFG was in the match for about 95 overs, but they lost at the end.

Considering AFG's strength, you may award AFG B in both of those matches. At the same time, IND and PAK may get B+ considering how much they had to toil to win against a lower ranked team.

GPA difference won't be much, but this minor difference is what separates the winner from the loser.

What creates this minor difference? It is the difference in skill (batting, bowling, fielding) and fitness level.

Take another example:

Tamim V Rohit
Kohli V Shakib
Saif V Hardik
Mushfiq V Pant
Miraz V Chahal
Mash V Shami
Fizz V Bumrah

When you do head to head comparison, India is clearly ahead of us in terms of skill and fitness.

On the particular match day, we fought hard but India won. Why? Because due to their superior skill level in all departments as well as in fitness, they better managed the uncertainties and other external factors and won.

For those familiar with reliability will know that reaching up to 95% reliability is easy. Above 95%, to increase even 1% reliability, you have to spend exponentially.

Same in sports. Reaching a certain level, say up to 85% is easy. But if you operate at 85%, you will end up with could haves and should haves. You will have a team of ON THEIR DAY. You may need to double your effort for another 10% increase, but that 10% will be the difference between win and loss. Performance is not binary, but results are, and results matter at the end of day.

Post WC, our vision should be closing that 10% gap in skills and fitness. Otherwise, we will remain a team that win hearts but not cups.
Old July 9, 2019, 02:34 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:

Rain caused us to lose 1 point and slip 2 spots down the rankings. Like I said, had we finished 6th, it wouldn't have been that bad a world cup.

Besides, I'd bet that you and the fans like you were predicting BD to finish 8th.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 9, 2019, 08:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

Quote:
Rain caused us to lose 1 point and slip 2 spots down the rankings. Like I said, had we finished 6th, it wouldn't have been that bad a world cup.

Besides, I'd bet that you and the fans like you were predicting BD to finish 8th.
Here was my projected ranking prior to the start of the world cup:
Aus, Ind, Eng, SA, NZ, Ban, WI, Pak, SL, Afg.

It wasn't unreasonable to place us above WI, Pak, SL, Afg since we've been playing better than them since 2015. I felt SA and NZ needed to screw up for us to sneak into the 4th semi spot. That's exactly what happened. SA unraveled unexpectedly. NZ has also been pretty bad but they've been very lucky to have gotten by us, and then gained a free point against Ind.

We got historically great performance from Shakib, the likes of which you wouldn't expect from even the best ever. Yet we couldn't capitalize. Mushy and Mahmudullah ended up with good avg's but they failed to show up when they needed to support Shakib. Mash was the most disappointing of them all. He could neither bowl nor bat nor field and most importantly nor inspire. I think the biggest source of disappointment is our performance compared to Pakistan. We had grown used to being considered the better team since 2015. Yet Pak finished extremely strong and our campaign ended with a whimper.