facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 19, 2009, 10:17 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: An honest player; a trier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_club
I want Mash to be our Captain and Shakib VC.. that means when Mash not able to play Shakib can take the wheel.. don't want to see that loser running our team again
B4 u call Ash a loser and Mash a great, u shud prob know that he doesn't even want to bowl with the old ball, thus Ash was kind of forced to bowl him out by the 19th over. If he can't show leadership in his current role in the team, how can he be a captain?

Sakib's the only one qualified to be captain coz of both his leadership and performing skills but noone wants to see him under too much pressure. Ash is beginning to find his feet so let him be. Changing captains won't make our rubbish batting top order good all of a sudden.

Old January 19, 2009, 11:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ashrafooooooool

I don't think changing the captain would make any difference, except it might help Ashraful to get some sort of form...
amar mone hoy
Old January 20, 2009, 12:08 AM
Cricket Legend

meh, we just need to play well and we'll all say "Oh, what a great captain is that Ashraful kid..."...
Old January 20, 2009, 12:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abid_Khan
meh, we just need to play well and we'll all say "Oh, what a great captain is that Ashraful kid..."...
Thats just how bangladeshi fans are. If we beat SL in that final ODI, we'd be comparing Ash to steve waugh.
Old January 20, 2009, 12:36 AM
First Class Cricketer

Give Ganguly a Bangladeshi passport and beg him to lead our hapless team. Sakib is the captain of the future and I'd rather not destroy his career at this point.
Old January 20, 2009, 01:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Nasir Hossain/Dale Steyn

no. not mashrafi. not if he was the last person in bd.

he's not a leader. he doesn't have the heart of a tiger. end of story.

i think we need to have an exodus. kick players out, bring wildcards in (faisal hossain, etc).

right now there is no one who'll be a suitable captain.. but mahmudullah seems to have the right mind set.
Old January 20, 2009, 01:11 AM
Test Cricketer

why not promote Ash and make him our coach.. the reason why BD so far behind coz we've no rules and no discipline.. just do whatever you like..
Old January 20, 2009, 01:13 AM
Test Cricketer

Let BCB decide our next captain.. full stop
Old January 20, 2009, 03:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_fanatic
Well, even if Nafis Iqbal makes it to the side, I don't see how on earth he can be made the captain - an important attribute of a captain is that he has the respect of his peers; this is something that Habibul had despite all his tactical inadequacies and ODI failures and I feel this is something that Ashraful lacks. Moreover I remember after the 2002 U-19 WC where Nafis was the captain, there was talk of infighting in the team and for the 2004 tourney, it was a guy called Ashiqul who led the side, not Nafis.

I do not understand why are we so reluctant to hand Mashrafe the captaincy unless he is taking a major break due to a surgery or something any time soon - how many matches has he missed due to injury in the last couple of years. I am not saying he'll turn the side into worldbeaters but he is enjoying a real purple patch with the ball and if we are getting a change in captain, for me he is the automatic choice as we don't want to ruin Sakib with even more burden.
All the valid points are raised here i should say.
Nafis Iqbal's name comes here because of lack of options available. Yes, Nafis had that issue when he was the captain of U-19s. But till we are not sure whether Nafis is solely to blame for that as no investigation was performed. Again, if he is the solely responsible one for that incident, it can be taken as positive which can eventually help him when he is made captain. It's an experience gained on that age. I don't think for that incident he will have problem to win the respect. He can start as a senior and thus can gain respect by performing.

As thebest bhai mentioned in one his posts in other thread, it's a win-win situation as we are not in a danger of ruining any other career. and as a opener Nafis is not gonna do worse than Junaid and as a captain as well. Still an idea though which can be given a thought.

And Mashrafee's situation, injury is the main concern. As we know he is due for a surgery in his knee prescribed by the doctor when he examined after the last Australia tour. He is waiting for a break to go through it. Because of his vulnerable knee, he is always in doubt about how long he can continue though he has not missed much in last couple of years. Also I feel there is a mindset of Fast Bowlers not to be the captain of the team. Its a mindset that most teams follow without much reasoning. Thats why we have not seen many out n out Fast Bowlers leading the international sides compare to the number of batsmen leading sides.

Last edited by yaseer; January 20, 2009 at 03:47 AM..
Old January 20, 2009, 04:19 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

yup that's exactly what we need, another mor*n of a batsmen who can't bat and who can't captain to be our next bd captain /
Old January 20, 2009, 04:21 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

the only reason we have not seen fast bowlers become captains is bcause more people are awed by a 150 run batting performance then a 5 wicket haul. neither is better then the other but that's how we all behave and as a result the batters get the captaincies.
Old January 20, 2009, 04:22 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

nafis iqbal isn't even in the team let alone establishing himself as a regular let alone being a consistent performer at that level. first step would be to bring him into the team, then if he can be consistent for a fair while, only then should he be considered for the captaincy.
Old January 20, 2009, 04:28 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fais
the only reason we have not seen fast bowlers become captains is bcause more people are awed by a 150 run batting performance then a 5 wicket haul. neither is better then the other but that's how we all behave and as a result the batters get the captaincies.
i think it's easier for batsmen to be captain because alot of captaincy is during the fielding innings and since they're a batsman they can completely focus on the bowlers and the field. bowlers on the other hand have other things to play on their mind whilst in the field, as a bowler i have to say it would be quite difficult whilst i'm in the middle of an over to think ahead to who should bowl next, what the field should be, whether the game plan needs revising etc. a bowler is more likely to get caught up in what they have to do and forget about wha the team has to do, i think this is the reason why we don't see many bowlers as captains.

not that it can't be done, but i think it's tougher for a bowler than a batsman.
Old January 20, 2009, 04:39 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
Nafis Iqbal not even in the side!

But I would like to see him again as an opening bat though.
Ya!
Maybe instead of Jund.
Or if TI needs a break, replace him by his bro.
Old January 20, 2009, 05:05 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

I always have been saying that Big Z is a still not ready. He was averaging in mid-20s in both longer and shorter versions of the game when he came to the side. He couldn't prove the stats wrong. He rated himself as a very mediocre player so far.
Old January 20, 2009, 05:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: TIGERS !!

The player who is not even in the squad how someone can come up with such silly ideas I just can't get it.
what happened to Hannan Sarkar guys, can he able to come back for our opening crisis !
Old January 20, 2009, 07:01 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

He's 30 now, way over the hill as far as BD selectors are concerned...
Old January 20, 2009, 07:13 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell, aftab ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_king
Why the hell would Kapali make a good captain? They guy's never had any experience in captaincy, and suddenly he'll make a 'good captain'? You guys need to think before you say things.
Bhia, Kapali has captained Sylhet...
Old January 20, 2009, 07:47 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseer
Most of the fans are against Ashraful continuing as the Captain of Bangladesh team. But the problem here is who will replace Ashraful. Two options came from the fans: Mashrafee and Sakib. Negatives of Mash is his injury problem and for Sakib, some think he is not ready and some think it can hamper his tremendous growth as an all-rounder or for both reasons.

I was thinking about the other options, Then I came up with the idea of bringing Nafis Iqbal in the team and make him captain. He has captained U-17 and U-19 team where Ashraful also played under his captaincy. Also with the persistent opening problem, he can be the answer as well. He is also batting in #3 spot as well in NCL.

Also in International cricket, we find this sort of examples. In 2003 World Cup, Grame Smith was not in the South Africa team. He was called back in the side as captain after the WC 2003 disaster and the rest is history. Lee Germon once called in the New Zealand team to captain the side.

Well, I myself not sure whether it's the right idea or not. because negatives like, "Nafis still not ready or not in form to be in the national team" is an issue. So, thought why not raise this idea and have the opinions of you guyz......
Nafis Iqbal has fitness problems.
Old January 20, 2009, 08:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu2abu
Bhia, Kapali has captained Sylhet...
Holy crap you serious? LOL. I'm assuming they finished last on those occasions.
Old January 20, 2009, 11:31 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell, aftab ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_king
Holy crap you serious? LOL. I'm assuming they finished last on those occasions.
Sylhet always lose. But that's not the point, we could all do well by thinking things through before posting comments.

Kapali has captained Sylhet from time to time and has done rather well. Many say his form improved significantly with the added responsibility. He often anchored the innings when all around him were in disarray, just one example: http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/bangl...ch/314107.html. Ash would do well to take note...

He was also pencilled in to captain the Bangladesh A tour of England in 2008, but was then called up to the senior side and Zunaid took over...

Last edited by abu2abu; January 20, 2009 at 11:51 AM..
Old January 20, 2009, 11:40 AM
Club Cricketer

whooo?
Old January 20, 2009, 11:53 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

If you have to have a non playing captain, why not Akram khan

or Rakibul Hasan or Athar Ali? if you need more experience?
Old January 20, 2009, 12:20 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

First we need 11 good cricketers who is good listener and thinker. Secondly take their IQ test and the one who has the highest IQ make him the captain.

So which current Bangladeshi player will have highest IQ. I think its Sakib what do you think.

I will not bring in Nafis as Captain but I would consider him to partner his brother who is lost in no mans land at this moment.
Old January 20, 2009, 12:47 PM
First Class Cricketer

Can't agree more. Good article, at the right moment. Nafis is a solid player and he has the experience to captain BD team. Ash has been the joke, does not have the capability of control himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseer
Most of the fans are against Ashraful continuing as the Captain of Bangladesh team. But the problem here is who will replace Ashraful. Two options came from the fans: Mashrafee and Sakib. Negatives of Mash is his injury problem and for Sakib, some think he is not ready and some think it can hamper his tremendous growth as an all-rounder or for both reasons.

I was thinking about the other options, Then I came up with the idea of bringing Nafis Iqbal in the team and make him captain. He has captained U-17 and U-19 team where Ashraful also played under his captaincy. Also with the persistent opening problem, he can be the answer as well. He is also batting in #3 spot as well in NCL.

Also in International cricket, we find this sort of examples. In 2003 World Cup, Grame Smith was not in the South Africa team. He was called back in the side as captain after the WC 2003 disaster and the rest is history. Lee Germon once called in the New Zealand team to captain the side.

Well, I myself not sure whether it's the right idea or not. because negatives like, "Nafis still not ready or not in form to be in the national team" is an issue. So, thought why not raise this idea and have the opinions of you guyz......