facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old July 3, 2019, 04:29 PM
Street Cricketer

Default Any Coder/Programmer Here?

Post removed.

Last edited by anonymousGuy; July 12, 2020 at 09:30 PM..

Old July 14, 2019, 06:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousGuy
Any coder here? What languages do you know? What languages are your favorites?

I personally like C# and I am currently learning Python. I am still a beginner but I hope I will get better.
Not a coder but am a software engineer if that counts
Old July 14, 2019, 07:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinRaat.
Not a coder but am a software engineer if that counts
Azaira pola koy ki ? Coding na koira tumi software banao kemney ?
Old July 14, 2019, 08:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingara
Azaira pola koy ki ? Coding na koira tumi software banao kemney ?
LOL. You can have degree in Computer science and can be called a software engineer when you work in any aspect of a software i suppose. Testing softwares to find bugs would be one.

so looks like Din raat settled for a 90K USD salary job. Cab driver still wins.
Old July 14, 2019, 06:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
LOL. You can have degree in Computer science and can be called a software engineer when you work in any aspect of a software i suppose. Testing softwares to find bugs would be one.

so looks like Din raat settled for a 90K USD salary job. Cab driver still wins.
Wth you on about?
Software Engineering and Computer science are separate degrees. Software engineering involves core modules where you must study about algorithms and OOP programming.

Those who test software are not called software engineers. They are called Testers such as Pen-testers.
Old July 14, 2019, 07:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Wth you on about?
Software Engineering and Computer science are separate degrees. Software engineering involves core modules where you must study about algorithms and OOP programming.

Those who test software are not called software engineers. They are called Testers such as Pen-testers.
There is no such a thing as software engineering degree in USA . In USA it's either computer engineer degree or computer science degree. When you have those degrees regardless of what your job description is - you can call urself an engineer or a programmer.

There is no need to go into nity gritty stuff. Requirement of software testing is one of those degrees. So you can claim to be a programmer or an engineer even if you are testing softwares.

Just like if u have a PhD or an MD.. and even if u work in an unrelated field you can still introduce urself as a doctor. Even if you have zero skills left in you to save a life.
Old July 14, 2019, 08:32 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

^Bhai, I am a software engineering degree holder, what are you talking about?

I did my Masters in Computer Science and did my PhD in Software Engineering, both in the USA.

Carnegie Melon has a SEI (Software Engineering Institute) and they were the first to offer such degree. When I started my PhD very few school had only graduate programs in Software Engineering. (BTW I am not from Carnegie Melon)

Currently almost all top schools has this program in both undergrad and grad level. Undergrad it is like a discipline under the main CS major. But MS and PhD is largely available.

P.S. I really try not to involve in your discussion anymore but it was so wrong that I had to say something, peace.
Old July 14, 2019, 09:38 PM
Cricket Legend

^so what?
Like you said software engineering as a program is offered farely recently . It is due to ever changing job reqs. All these degrees the courses overlap. You don't have to have a "software engineer" degree to work as a software engineer. Any of computer scientiest computer engineer or now software engineer holder can work in design and coding of a software.

Just because u did ur phd in software engineer doesn't mean anything when it comes to how u think because I am very well aware it.. yeah u should avoid discussing with me. U couldn't resist this time because u thought being a software engineer PhD holder u actually can talk to me on something that u may know more of. Will see...

I think most of u failed to grasp the concept of my post. U can call urself a software engineer even if u diddnt graduate from a program that offers a software engineer degree. Hope that makes sense.
Old July 15, 2019, 12:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: James Bond

I have written code in a lot of languages (even some pretty obscure ones), but my current interests are ES6+ and Python 3.x (i.e. what I want to write code in these days).

Surprisingly, I found Swift to be a very pleasant language to write code in. I hope Swift will expand out of the Apple / Linux world.

In the near future, I probably will be interested in learning Go, Rust, and Kotlin.

And just for kicks, I might one day learn this: https://www.emojicode.org/
Old July 15, 2019, 06:36 AM
Cricket Legend

In the UK, we have had Software Engineering degrees for decades. If you graduated with this degree, only then you can yourself as a Software Engineer. A lot of people begin in the inferior Computer science degree and then in their third year try to jump onto the Software Engineering course to graduate as a Software engineer. And, that's when titanic happens for them.

And, no, idumb, you can't call yourself a Software engineer if you have not done that degree. You can best call yourself a programmer. If you have done a PHd and become a Doctor, you call yourself Dr. idumb PhD . If you have studied medicine , you call yourself Dr. idumb or Dr. idumb MBBS FRCS
Old July 15, 2019, 04:37 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
^so what?
So you can earn a degree in software engineering in USA. My university SNHU (where I teach) offers BSE online. Whether you can work as a Software Engineer without that degree is a different question. My response was just to deny that claim in your post. I used myself as an example only.

Actually Shingara is right. You can work as a coder/programmer without even a STEM degree. In my long career in USA I mostly worked with developers (Americans/Indians) who had no CS degree. Most Indians have some engineering or BTech and then some training for specific applications (Oracle, Java etc.). Lot of Americans have arts major who learnt on their own or took a certain programming course.

For software engineering jobs earlier you needed computer science with that specialization. Now slowly companies are moving away and asking for genuine SE degrees from applicants.
Old July 15, 2019, 04:49 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by goru
I have written code in a lot of languages (even some pretty obscure ones), but my current interests are ES6+ and Python 3.x (i.e. what I want to write code in these days).

Surprisingly, I found Swift to be a very pleasant language to write code in. I hope Swift will expand out of the Apple / Linux world.

In the near future, I probably will be interested in learning Go, Rust, and Kotlin.

And just for kicks, I might one day learn this: https://www.emojicode.org/
Currently I am working with Octave and Python. I wrote code in numerous languages as well. I started with standard ML in around 1985, then BASIC in 1992-93, JAVA in 1995. Later learnt C, C++, ASP, HTML, Javascript, SQL, C-shell scripting, PROLOG for different university courses. I did some capstone projects with C#.NET before moving to PeopleCode/SQR/Crystal.

While teaching for architecture courses I used Assembly Language (MASM). Recently teaching courses both in CS and SE discipline, using Python and Java.

Once worked as a research scientist in VA where I used FORTRAN with Matlab. I really had fun there.

The truth is you need to learn one language well along with the core topics data structure, algorithm, RDBMS etc. That knowledge should be enough to decipher and master other languages.

Hopefully I will master Haskell some day.
Old July 15, 2019, 05:52 PM
Cricket Legend

I learnt BASIC in primary school, Visual Basic in Secondary school. In uni, I went on to learn C, C++, JAVA, HTML, JavaScript, PHP, MYSQL and EIFFEL.
Now , I do a job which odes not utilize any of these!
Old July 15, 2019, 06:39 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
I learnt BASIC in primary school, Visual Basic in Secondary school. In uni, I went on to learn C, C++, JAVA, HTML, JavaScript, PHP, MYSQL and EIFFEL.
Now , I do a job which odes not utilize any of these!
Since I am a System Engineer and currently leading some Data Science project, knowledge of OOP and UNIX directly helped in my job on many occasions. You can only get direct usage if you are only using that language when programming, most cases you need to be flexible to translate your skills from one to another. But once I know SQL I can change it for many DB platforms similarly core UNIX commands and regex can help you for Fedora/Ubuntu/CentOS etc. Recently the database I am working on is serviced on an AWS paas so need to learn AWS basics.
Old July 15, 2019, 07:47 PM
Cricket Guru

What exactly is the difference between the topics and concepts taught between Software Engineering and Computer Science programs?

Usually the jobs I see advertised looking for Software Developers/Engineers/Programmers etc don't differentiate between the degrees as they look for someone with one of those degrees.

I come from a Comp Eng background.
Old July 15, 2019, 09:04 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName
What exactly is the difference between the topics and concepts taught between Software Engineering and Computer Science programs?

Usually the jobs I see advertised looking for Software Developers/Engineers/Programmers etc don't differentiate between the degrees as they look for someone with one of those degrees.

There is a huge difference. While CS focuses on analysis, SE focuses on application and implementation. This is a very high level statement. Google any university curriculum for SE and compare with that of CS - it will get clearer.
Old July 16, 2019, 07:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName

OOP programming - the thinking behind this is a Software engineer can easily pick up any language if it's an OOP language. There's also a huge focus on algorithms.
Old July 16, 2019, 09:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: James Bond

On the side-topic:

My BS in CS degree from a US university about 20 years ago was based on the principle that CS was the root of all things software-oriented (as opposed to CmpE, which was hardware-oriented). "Software Engineering" was considered a speciality within a CS major's curriculum, along with other things like "Networking", "Graphics", "AI", etc. My own specializations were "Software Engineering" and "Networking". I had to do majority of my courses in these areas in the last two years. When you wrote your CV/resumé back in the days, you'd mention what your specializations were so that employers could figure out what sort of CS person you were.

Most people doing a BS in CS degree at my university were studying very theoretical stuff for the first 2 years, like algorithms, CS theory (Turing machines, etc), programming paradigms (OOP, for example), computer architecture (mem, cache, CPU registers, etc), and math courses in set theory, stats, prob, etc. After that, for the last 2 years, they would choose their specializations, and "Software Engineering" was definitely the most popular one. The one-and-only way to become a "Software Engineer" back then was to pursue a CS degree with that as a specialization.

Also, CS majors had to take a fundamental CmpE course (logic gates and all that fun stuff), and CmpE majors had to take fundamental CS course (algorithms). Beyond that, there was very little overlap.

Last edited by goru; July 16, 2019 at 10:16 AM..
Old July 18, 2019, 01:49 PM
ODI Cricketer

Orphy is right that one (in the USA at least) does not need to have a degree to claim him/herself as software engineer. It is what one does that defines his position/title.

Orphy prolly knows now that he is wrong saying "There is no such a thing as software engineering degree in USA". The same univ where One World got his Phd In Software Engineering, I went there too. That univ started PhD in Software Engineering in 2003/4. That was like 15-16 years ago. It would be surprising to even think that there is no pure Software Engineering degrees in the USA these days.

We tend to focus too much on degree. Nothing against a degree, it gives certainty. At the same time, lot can be accomplished in computer world without a certain degree in computer science. About 6-7 years ago, I hired a college drop out in my team based solely on his potential (and some experience in solving some problems in pure c programming language, although we are a pure java shop) in software development. What he accomplished in 6-7 years, it can give some PhD holders (with all due respect) in Computer Science run for their money hahaha. No, it is not just my word- it is proven track record of his working side by side with Professor/(PhD in computer science) from renown (how about a Indian/Purdue!) univ in the USA. To just give an example of his accomplishment - he is the main author of a published paper (for which a patent is pending too) in IEEE Big Data! Oh he is still a college-drop out, and he still works for my team, and his title is merely a Sr. Software Developer/Architect :-)
Old July 23, 2019, 12:49 PM
Street Cricketer

Java and Python ( very basic though)
Btw someone listed HTML as a programming language, it is not.
Old July 23, 2019, 01:01 PM
Cricket Sage

[QUOTE=2DCube;2133789]Java and Python ( very basic though)
Btw someone listed HTML as a programming language, it is not.[/QUOTE]

You are right, it is a markup. I think I was listing what I learnt which included HTML. I actually learnt HTML long before in BD.