facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old July 2, 2007, 10:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.
Default A Nuclear Powered Bangladesh

Story: IAEA Approves Bangladesh Nuclear Program

Quote:
Energy-starved Bangladesh has been approved by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to set up a nuclear power station.

"Bangladesh was in the top of the list of eight developing countries which were approved to set up nuclear power plants," Tapan Chowdhury, adviser to the interim government and head of the energy ministry, told reporters on Sunday without giving details.

He said an IAEA delegation would arrive in Bangladesh next week to examine Bangladesh's plan to generate electricity from the proposed nuclear power plant.
This is a great news for Bangladeshi. If this dream is etched into reality, it can be a boon to further developments of Bangladesh and it's infrastructures.

Old July 2, 2007, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Given the safety standards that are assumed in factories and plants in Bangladesh, this could turn out to be a major hazard. I really hope I'm wrong.
Old July 2, 2007, 10:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Given the safety standards that are assumed in factories and plants in Bangladesh, this could turn out to be a major hazard. I really hope I'm wrong.
Hopefully no safety hazards will be triggered ...with IAEA's support ... and maybe, a little help from our nuclear powered neighbors
Old July 2, 2007, 10:32 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Sourav Ganguly

this is good news, hopefully it will be well guarded from religious fanatics and overzealous military generals.
Old July 2, 2007, 10:44 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

A few days back, I read this article about how safe nuclear power plants are. Turns out that after 9/11, many nuclear power plants in NA have been shielded properly for attacks of the sorts of 9/11.

I'm not a big fan of nuclear power plants, but will accept that to make the gap b/w us and other nations smaller. This is the norm, and my or your liking or disliking will not matter. If it did, NA would've been nuclear power plant free by now.
Old July 2, 2007, 10:53 PM
Cricket Legend

a very inpiring news for many, although it might sound like a dangerous toy for BD (where management gets a big question mark). I know some expatriates are particularly interested to associate themselves with such projects....
Old July 2, 2007, 11:01 PM

To my knowledge, safe secure nuclear power is wayyy cheaper and efficient than Gas/Coal/Oil fired power plants. for example, most of the electricity in France is produced in Nuclear Plants, and some of this electricity is even exported.

With the lone Hydroelectric Plant in BD having serious trouble due to lower water levels, and most other Gas fired plants having one sort of breakdown or the other, I cant be too optimistic about the economic and industrial efficiency of any such nuclear power plants in BD.

If safety and security is the issue, then the debate is pretty hard headed. Maybe I can refer you guys to Scott Sagan & Kenneth Waltz, The Spread of Nuclear Weapons, 2nd Ed New York: W.W Norton, 2003
Old July 2, 2007, 11:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Yeah, this is never going to happen. Sorry.
Old July 3, 2007, 12:05 AM
Cricket Legend

I think there is no way out. Nuclear power will be more and more an option that cannot be discarded.
Old July 3, 2007, 05:01 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Funny how the report did not forget to mention that by 2011 the whole BD could go in a total blackout!!

What do you expect from an indian report, had to had a pinch somewhere.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old July 3, 2007, 05:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
To my knowledge, safe secure nuclear power is wayyy cheaper and efficient than Gas/Coal/Oil fired power plants. for example, most of the electricity in France is produced in Nuclear Plants, and some of this electricity is even exported.

With the lone Hydroelectric Plant in BD having serious trouble due to lower water levels, and most other Gas fired plants having one sort of breakdown or the other, I cant be too optimistic about the economic and industrial efficiency of any such nuclear power plants in BD.

If safety and security is the issue, then the debate is pretty hard headed. Maybe I can refer you guys to Scott Sagan & Kenneth Waltz, The Spread of Nuclear Weapons, 2nd Ed New York: W.W Norton, 2003
Isn't it more expensive? Uranium or Plutonium whichever they use costs more than coal and stuff.
Old July 3, 2007, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
Isn't it more expensive? Uranium or Plutonium whichever they use costs more than coal and stuff.
Initial investment costs are high, then security, safety and waste disposal becomes the main cost bearing issue. However afaik, once production starts very little uranium/plutonium are required for continual production. In contrast with Oil/Gas, it is not reliant on an exhaustive resource whose price fluctuates daily.
Old July 3, 2007, 05:23 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

It's about time Bangladesh has an answer to its energy problem. Obviously there are risks involved, but with proper guidance and monitoring from the international community, I believe we can achieve a safe and clean nuclear powered Bangladesh. I can't see us building nuclear weapons, not anytime soon. It's waste disposal that concerns me the most, because clumsiness will lead to major catastrophe. I don't want to see corrupt politicians cut corners and put the environment and humans lives at risk.
Old July 3, 2007, 10:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
Yeah, this is never going to happen. Sorry.
I'm afraid you are right. Though going nuclear is probably the only way out as far as our power problems, our MURUBBIs will never let it happen.
Old July 3, 2007, 10:50 AM
ODI Cricketer

Given the GEology of Bangladesh, Nuclear power plants do not mae sense at all. Most areas are prone to earthquakes for starters. Secondly, since bagladesh is a low lying delta its gonna be hard to find a place to dispose off the waste (the problem becomes bigger with sea level rise). Also, the level of awareness within the general public is too low for them to understand the safety standards of nuclear power plants. So, I guess it will be wise not to do so. And finally, Nuclear power plants are not the way to go, publicly provided utility is not a model that bangaldesh needs to follow. Micro solar power units (although it is expensive and has possible health problems) is where bangladesh is headed.
Old July 3, 2007, 01:12 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Good news, but the risk is not in the plant its the maintenance within amid bureaucracy. If we can we need 1 or 2 mid to large size plant like this to light most part of the rural Bangladesh.

Last edited by One World; July 3, 2007 at 06:04 PM..
Old July 3, 2007, 09:32 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special 1
Given the GEology of Bangladesh, Nuclear power plants do not mae sense at all. Most areas are prone to earthquakes for starters. Secondly, since bagladesh is a low lying delta its gonna be hard to find a place to dispose off the waste (the problem becomes bigger with sea level rise). Also, the level of awareness within the general public is too low for them to understand the safety standards of nuclear power plants. So, I guess it will be wise not to do so. And finally, Nuclear power plants are not the way to go, publicly provided utility is not a model that bangaldesh needs to follow. Micro solar power units (although it is expensive and has possible health problems) is where bangladesh is headed.
Micro solar power unit is not a solution regarding our HUGE and growing demand. and we dont have that much potential on wind energy also. so only possible long term solution can be nuclear plant. earthquake is not an issue i guess, then Japan wouldnt have had nuclear plant as its main power source. Also, i dont see why general public have to aware of safety, as its authorities duty to keep it safe, ppl have nothing to do with it.
Old July 3, 2007, 09:35 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
Good news, but the risk is not in the plant its the maintenance within amid bureaucracy. If we can we need 1 or 2 mid to large size plant like this to light most part of the rural Bangladesh.
agreed, though i think maintainance will also be supported partly by IAEA atleast by providing experties at the initial stage. the main problem is huge investment initially.
Old July 3, 2007, 10:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumon77
agreed, though i think maintainance will also be supported partly by IAEA atleast by providing experties at the initial stage. the main problem is huge investment initially.
With regards to electricity why don't doesn't the government opt for more hydroelectric power stations? We got more rivers (some fast flowing) than any nation of our size.
Old July 3, 2007, 10:58 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
With regards to electricity why don't doesn't the government opt for more hydroelectric power stations? We got more rivers (some fast flowing) than any nation of our size.
i guess, though we have lot of rivers, but they are mainly in flat land (so may not be too suitable for hydro project) and requires building river dams which invloves lot of investment as well as some side effect on natural flow of the rivers. though the areas with lot of mountain rivers have some advantage for hydro projects like nepal or myanmar and are more suitable. For BD, may be nuclear power plant is the best solution regarding long term, as our gas will finsih some time soon and may be we have to buy gas then from myanmar or some other place to run the current gas turbine plants. moreover, the technology for nuclear plant is well known, only the problem is initial investment and international politics.
Old September 11, 2007, 03:02 AM
Test Cricketer

Default Russia to cooperate in nuclear energy

Russia is willing to extend cooperation to Bangladesh in setting up a nuclear power plant for production of nuclear energy to meet an insatiate demand for electricity, said the Foreign Adviser.

Talking to the press on his recent visit to Moscow, Dr Iftekhar Ahmed Chowdhury yesterday said he had detailed discussions with Russian Deputy Minister for Energy and Industry Ivan Materver on possible Russian cooperation in production of nuclear energy.
"Russia is positive and it could be an important partner of us in setting up nuclear power plant," he said.

However, the Adviser told the reporters that since the nuclear power technology is a complex issue, the matter should be discussed at national level to arrive at a final decision.

He said, " If we want to produce nuclear energy, the time has come to start primary negotiations with our possible partners who might help us in establishing the nuclear project since it takes a long time for its implementation."

Bangladesh earlier got the nod from IAEA to move ahead with its plan for peaceful use of nuclear energy.

The Advisor said since Bangladesh is a signatory to CTBT and NPTC, " We are committed to peaceful use of nuclear energy… we will not go for nuclear weapons."

In reply to a question, he said Bangladesh has already contacted Russia at technical level for setting up the proposed nuclear power plant while he was the first to contact Russia at political level.

Asked why the government is putting emphasis on cooperation from Russia in setting up the nuclear power plant, the Advisor said all countries do not like to extend nuclear cooperation. Russia has appropriate technology for it.

Moreover, he pointed out, the people of Bangladesh and Russia are closely linked intellectually and culturally. Russia had enough contribution to the Bangladesh liberation war in 1971.

He said China, India, Pakistan and South Korea have already undertaken nuclear power-expansion projects. Although the Advisor could not tell about estimated cost of nuclear power plant, but said " since we have adequate technical know-how, we will be able to set up it with cooperation from our partners."

Asked if it would cast any adverse impact on Bangladesh-US relations if Dhaka received nuclear cooperation from Moscow, he replied in the negative.

"Bangladesh looks to the East, West, South and North, and for a long time Bangladesh has not looked to the Russian Federation after the demise of the Soviet Union," the foreign advisor of the caretaker government said, on a note of criticism.

During the visit, Bangladesh and the Russian Federation signed Consular Convention, first deal between the two countries, to ease visa regime and ensure Bangladeshis' welfare in Russia.

And the Advisor said Dhaka and Moscow are likely to sign several accords concerning avoidance of double taxation, investment and trade cooperation. He further disclosed that Bangladesh wants to import 300,000 tons of wheat to build up a buffer stock and 4,00 tons of fertilizer from Russia.

Besides, he said, there is enough opportunity for Bangladeshi students to study medical science in Russia, particularly in medical institutions in St. Petersburg. Presently, 40 students are studying over there.

The Advisor observed that his visit to Russia unveiled a new chapter of bilateral relations, saying that effective follow-ups would be made to strengthen political and economic ties between the two countries. Foreign Secretary-in-charge Touhid Hossain and senior Foreign Ministry officers were present at the briefing.

Source: http://e-mela.com/page.php?id=1068
Old September 11, 2007, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle
I think there is no way out. Nuclear power will be more and more an option that cannot be discarded.
Exactly my feelings, BD should start her move on this regard sooner than later. BD has not enough potential on gas, oil or hydraulic power plant to cover up its fast increasing demand, certainly not in current days nor in future. I see no choice but start shifting to nuclear power plant.

And no way it means we will have to depend 100% on nuclear power plant, rather more or less 30% is enough I guess.
Old September 11, 2007, 06:36 AM
Cricket Legend
WC 2015 Fantasy Winner

আমাদের আর কত দেরি লাগবে পারমানবিক বোমা তৈরি করতে? পৃথিবী দ্বংশের খেলায় আমাদেরও অংশ করতে হবে।
Old September 11, 2007, 05:29 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Micro solar power unit is not a solution regarding our HUGE and growing demand. and we dont have that much potential on wind energy also. so only possible long term solution can be nuclear plant. earthquake is not an issue i guess, then Japan wouldnt have had nuclear plant as its main power source. Also, i dont see why general public have to aware of safety, as its authorities duty to keep it safe, ppl have nothing to do with it.
Well, micro power plants are not a solution, but it is a part of it. the presense of micro power units will relieve the pressure on our grids. Also, if i recall most of the electricity is lost due to system loss. Nuclear power plants have been taken off line in the US. only 1 out of the 400 + ( i might be wrong here) are working, the rest have been decommisioned. There are always risks involved. There are other potential sources like geothermal, biogas, ethanol, biodeisel, hydro powered plants in BAy of bengal. Nuclear power plants are very risky in popualted countries. Imagine one mistake, and about 300 million people will have to pay for it.
Old September 11, 2007, 06:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Sumon77, I have posted previously on this matter in an earlier thread. Note that earthquakes are indeed an issue. The Japanese government is looking into whether it should shutdown seven modern reactors like the Kashiwazaki-Kariwa reactor that was responsible for the recent radioactive waste leak caused by the earthquake in July 2007.

Also keep in mind that we are a densely populated small riverine nation with considerable groundwater. If any radioactive waste finds its way into the water then it could spread quite easily. We would be hard put to contain it. Given such potential worst-case scenarios, don't you think the general public should be aware of the risks and have some say in the matter?