facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old October 7, 2010, 01:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Excellent feedback here. Haven't bought one yet - still doing research. Might get one this weekend. Can someone educate me on Macro lenses?
Macro lens are pretty much for close up pictures.

In macro photography the subject of the image is usually at the same size in real life, or magnified, in the image it self.

The focal length is usually above 60mm to a couple hundred.

Note on the lower on dslrs, there is a cropped sensor, so a 60mm lens is more like 100mm lens on the SLRs or on full frame (higher end) dslrs.

Old October 8, 2010, 05:37 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

ekhane eto sob pro cameraman der bhire ami ek nogonno camera user. ami jante chai how good a camera canon ixus 200is is ???
Old October 8, 2010, 03:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by offstump
ekhane eto sob pro cameraman der bhire ami ek nogonno camera user. ami jante chai how good a camera canon ixus 200is is ???
Lets say that since a professional would not be using an IXUS to take professional pictures, they shouldn't really know much about it! However, should they choose to use it to take everyday snaps, I am sure they'd find it just as capable as anything else at the same price point.
Old October 8, 2010, 03:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
I bet a whole slew of aficionados will crawl out of the wood work now.... Come on down!

I will start this with a question:

I am planning to move up to a real dSLR camera and are looking at some basic entry level ones from Canon and Nikon.

Any experiences and comments are most welcome. As I eventually will graduate to the expensive desire for filters and lenses, keep that in mind. I am planning to use it both for close and distant photography - food photography as well as indoor/landscape photography (so a wider lens would be needed).

Ok - the cameras I am looking at right now are:

Canon - EOS 1000D or 500D or the Rebel series
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...as/slr_cameras

Nikon - D3000 or D5000
http://nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/...SLR/index.page

Not planning to spend more for the semi-pro or professional models.
If you are choosing Nikon go for the D3100 over D3000. It has a far better processing engine and would match the D7000 at up to ISO6400.

Any Canon system is cheaper when it comes to accessories and to be fair, the cheapest.

I assume that you are of my age or older. If that is the case, don't overlook the Pentax/Samsung or Sony DSLR bodies since they have in body stabilisation. It just works out far cheaper unless you intend to spend lots of money buying different lenses with stabilisation built in. The glass is rather more expensive when it comes to Sony unless you are happy to use second hand Minolta lenses. Pentax bodies would take any K mount lenses going back a while so again, second hand glass is a whole new world.

I am not entirely sure why you wish to upgrade to DSLR. If the optical viewfinder is something you can go without, don't overlook the Olympus Pen range, the Panasonic G series or the Sony NEX range. These are fun cameras that are more than capable in the right hand and would outperform the entry level DSLRs from Canon or Nikon in many instances if you were just looking at IQ.

I generally discourage people from buying DSLR cameras if it is a jump unless they are truly going to be shooting in semi-automated or manual mode. The kit lenses are generally awful in poor light. However, if you are prepared to spend some time learning he craft and don't mind carrying a tripod, any DSLR is a stunning tool brimming with possibilities.

There are other options in small sensor. The Samsung EX1 with it 1.8 lens is just stunningly good. The Canon's popular G series is a real joy to use. The Panasonic LX range is just so good. The Ricoh GR series is exceptional at middle distances. Add to that the Sigma with its foveon processor, large sensor and fixed lens is no slouch. Nothing beats the sigma in terms of colour and IQ.

There are also little gems that not many think about using as bridge cameras but could be more capable in the right hands. The Canon S range, the S90 or latest S95 with their f2 lenses are just as good as the G series but far cheaper.
Old October 8, 2010, 03:47 PM
ODI Cricketer

I finally went with Nikon D3100 + kit lens 18-55mm. I have also bought a 35mm (instead of 50mm) f1.8 prime lens - I am loving this lens already!

Thanks boss for opening this thread. The resources in this thread are great.
Old November 3, 2010, 12:25 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Anyone know if this camera is good beginners? My friend asked me to buy a camera for him but I don't have any idea about SLR cameras.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...0051_253353_-1
Old November 3, 2010, 04:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murad
Anyone know if this camera is good beginners? My friend asked me to buy a camera for him but I don't have any idea about SLR cameras.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...0051_253353_-1
Instead of 75-300mm lens, I would recommend buying the 55-250mm lens as it has better reviews.

If you are ready to increase the budget slightly, you get a much better deal... I would recommend this instead.
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...0051_253359_-1

Also, Amazon usually has good deal for canon DSLR.
Old November 3, 2010, 11:11 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Thanks CP bhai for your suggestions.
Old November 8, 2010, 07:11 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

I finally bought CANON EOS 60D with just the kit lens (18-55mm). It's great. Thanks everyone for usggestions and information.

Taking time to buy other lenses. I'm targeting a tele-lense, a macro and a wide angle... cant decide which one to chose, but will probably find one from Cannon itself .... what are the other compatible lenses for cannon?

What about these filters ... don;t have much idea ... anyone?
Old November 8, 2010, 10:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
I finally bought CANON EOS 60D with just the kit lens (18-55mm). It's great. Thanks everyone for usggestions and information.

Taking time to buy other lenses. I'm targeting a tele-lense, a macro and a wide angle... cant decide which one to chose, but will probably find one from Cannon itself .... what are the other compatible lenses for cannon?

What about these filters ... don;t have much idea ... anyone?
Lens will depend on what you plan to shoot. Though I recommend a 50mm anyways since its so cheap (100 bucks) and it is amazing for family stuff.
Old November 9, 2010, 04:11 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib
As for lens, to start out with the kit lens (18-55) is decent, however I reccommend to everyone to get a 50mm 1.8 prime lens. Theres no zoom but you can get AMAZING portraits. Great for nice family photos, and probably for food photos too (get that awesome blurry background). And the 50mm is cheap too ($100 to 150).
That blurry background you can achieve with any lense, by using the macro function of your camera & focussing on the center of the object, depending on the distance of the background from the object you are photographing. If I have a regular lens 18-55 why do I need a 50mm? That's already covered by 18-55 isn't it?
Old November 9, 2010, 04:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
That blurry background you can achieve with any lense, by using the macro function of your camera & focussing on the center of the object, depending on the distance of the background from the object you are photographing. If I have a regular lens 18-55 why do I need a 50mm? That's already covered by 18-55 isn't it?
The kit lens of 18-55 is rubbish to say the least, below f5.6. The 50mm f1.8 prime lens that someone has spoken of is the best Canon lens in the non professional line of lenses in terms of its light gathering ability, bokeh and IQ. Ken Rockwell once compared it to even the L series lenses based on value for money.

The kit zooms and any zooms below f2.8 is not going to come close. f2.8 zooms would cost significantly more than the lower end lenses. That is why, the 50mm 1.8 is an infinitely better buy. A prime lens is generally quite a lot better than consumer grade zooms. This is why a lot of experienced amateurs often use older primes with adaptors in their DSLR bodies. Stop-down metering and manual focus is a small price to pay for quality.

The blurry background may be achieved with a lot of lenses but the bokeh would hardly be creamy-smooth in the rubbish 18-55 kit lens. The 50mm 1.8 would achieve it with absolute ease.
Old November 10, 2010, 11:49 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
The kit lens of 18-55 is rubbish to say the least, below f5.6. The 50mm f1.8 prime lens that someone has spoken of is the best Canon lens in the non professional line of lenses in terms of its light gathering ability, bokeh and IQ. Ken Rockwell once compared it to even the L series lenses based on value for money.

The kit zooms and any zooms below f2.8 is not going to come close. f2.8 zooms would cost significantly more than the lower end lenses. That is why, the 50mm 1.8 is an infinitely better buy. A prime lens is generally quite a lot better than consumer grade zooms. This is why a lot of experienced amateurs often use older primes with adaptors in their DSLR bodies. Stop-down metering and manual focus is a small price to pay for quality.

The blurry background may be achieved with a lot of lenses but the bokeh would hardly be creamy-smooth in the rubbish 18-55 kit lens. The 50mm 1.8 would achieve it with absolute ease.
Thanks for your frank opinion. Can you please provide some more information on various Lenses? As I said before I like to get a Macro, One Tele and an Wide Ange ... but like to decide on what combination of these three are the best.
Old November 11, 2010, 07:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
The 50mm isn't the important number, the f1.8 is. The kit only goes to 5.6 (or something like that), while the prime goes to f1.8. Aperture is what determines the depth of field, and a wide aperture (small f stop) gives shallow depth of field (aka blurry background).

You might be able to get it wtih the kit lens, but its harder to achieve and probably won't look as good as it would with the 50.
Old November 11, 2010, 05:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Thanks for your frank opinion. Can you please provide some more information on various Lenses? As I said before I like to get a Macro, One Tele and an Wide Ange ... but like to decide on what combination of these three are the best.
Which Canon body are you using and what would be your budget?

Secondly, this need for a wide, macro and tele lens might be a little too much if you are starting out. What do you enjoy shooting and in what conditions? Please try to think about what you might want to shoot now rather than what you might want to shoot in the future.

I would be able to discuss lenses if you could let me know about the about the above.
Old November 12, 2010, 10:27 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Got a D3100 today (this model came out this summer; next version of the D3000).
http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Produc...472/D3100.html

It can do 1080p Video
Now waiting to get a 300mm lens. Kit lens 18-55mm VR is ok I guess for general use. I am a novice anyway
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.

Last edited by Nasif; November 12, 2010 at 10:47 PM..
Old November 14, 2010, 05:46 AM

Zunaid bhai, though it is not in your list, but it is currently the best dSLR camera in the market for a non-pro dSLR useer.

Sony SLT a55

Review based on a production Sony SLT Alpha A55V with firmware version 1.0
Sony's latest interchangeable lens cameras, the SLT Alpha A33 and A55 represent a significant technological milestone - not just for Sony but for the enthusiast camera market as a whole.
The company has rejected the traditional DSLR design and instead created a hybrid that, like a compact camera, is from the ground up built around live view, but one that is also capable of offering full-time DSLR-style phase-detection autofocus. The combination means they can offer features such as phase-detection AF during movie recording and extremely fast continuous shooting rates (10 frames per second on the A55), previously unthinkable at this price.
This is made possible by adopting an approach that has more in common with a mirrorless camera (like the Panasonic G2, for example) than an SLR by removing the bits that pretty much define such cameras: the optical viewfinder and moving mirror.
The designation 'SLT' stands for single lens translucent and it's the 'translucent' bit that's the key to what differentiates these new models both from conventional DSLRs and mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. The SLTs do have mirrors, but they're mirrors that let the majority of the light pass straight through to the sensor, rather than having to swing out of the way to allow exposure. As a result they are fixed in position, always reflecting a portion of the light emerging from the back of the lens onto a phase-detection AF array housed in the top of the camera. (A newly-developed 15-point array in the case of these two cameras).
The A33 features the same 14 million APS HD CMOS sensor as the NEX-3 and NEX-5, but the sensor in the A55 is brand new, with 16.2 million effective pixels - Sony's highest-resolution APS-C format sensor yet. In another first for Sony's large-body interchangeable lens models, both cameras can shoot movie files as well, at 1080p HD resolution. Technically this review was conducted with a SLT A55V: the GPS-enabled variant of the camera that will be sold in most markets - only in a handful of countries (notably Japan), will a non-GPS version of the A55 be sold.

Sony A55 - key specifications
  • 16.2MP (effective) APS HD CMOS sensor
  • Fixed, pellicle-type semi-translucent mirror
  • Maximum ISO 12,800 (with a quasi-ISO 25,600 'Multi-frame NR' option)
  • 15-point phase-detection AF array with 3 cross-type AF points
  • Electronic viewfinder with 1.15 million dot resolution
  • Built-in GPS
  • Electronic level in EVF/LCD with pitch/roll indicator
  • Dual-purpose Memory Stick/SD card slot
  • 10fps continuous shooting rate
  • 1080p AVCHD movie mode with continuous AF
  • Articulated 3in 'TruBlack' LCD with 912k dots
  • socket for external microphone
  • 2x magnification mode in live view
  • Face-detection AF (focus via nearest phase-detection AF point)
Source: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta55/
Old November 14, 2010, 07:43 AM
Cricket Legend

[QUOTE=kalpurush;1231436]Zunaid bhai, though it is not in your list, but it is currently the best dSLR camera in the market for a non-pro dSLR useer.

Sony SLT a55

Amongst other systems I am actually a Sony DSLR user but to say that it is the best DSLR for an amateur is stretching the issue. All reviews are based on user perspective. I do love the 'A700' and regret selling it but one must take into account that the proprietary Sony accessory and lenses are more expensive than the other systems. Unless someone has a lot of old Minolta A mount optics, which were utterly fabulous, it perhaps makes it a difficult choice as a system.

Of course, if you have the money to buy Zeiss optics, there is very little out there that would give it a run for its money.

On a personal note the Sony does have the buttons just right.
Old November 14, 2010, 11:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Congrats Nasif bhai. You have a really powerful camera!!!

Remember to take your pictures in RAW, so that you can improve the quality of the picture further in post processing. My favorite software for post processing is Adobe Lightroom (current version is 3.2), I highly recommend it!!!

Last edited by cricket_pagol; November 14, 2010 at 05:28 PM..
Old November 14, 2010, 01:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_pagol

Remember to take your pictures in RAW, that you can improve the quality of the picture further in post processing. My favorite software for post processing is Adobe Lightroom (current version is 3.2), I highly recommend it!!!
Yep Lightroom is just awesome.

Although I guess I never take full advantage of it since I usually just shoot in jpeg (I always forget to change to raw after im done taking family stuff).
Old November 17, 2010, 02:49 AM
Administrator

Ok. Thanks for your help. I went one up from my initial choice and got the Canon EOS 60D today. Instead of the kit lens, got the EF 28-135mm lens. Macro will come next.

Canon EOS 60D

Old November 17, 2010, 02:51 AM
Administrator

As you can tell from the picture above, I need a real camera and not rely on the iPhone.
Old November 17, 2010, 03:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Wow, congrats Zunaid bhai!
Old November 18, 2010, 05:40 AM
Administrator

First attempts:

http://picasaweb.google.com/zunaid.k...onExperiments#

Old November 18, 2010, 07:17 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_pagol

Remember to take your pictures in RAW, so that you can improve the quality of the picture further in post processing. My favorite software for post processing is Adobe Lightroom (current version is 3.2), I highly recommend it!!!
Didn't get a chance to take too many pics with it yet. Still learning all the function. Haven't taken any pics in RAW mode. Next few days are little warmer, I will take some outside shots.

Haven't used Adobe Lightroom, thanks, will remember about it.
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.