facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 26, 2017, 06:37 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Sachin Tendulkar

This is so shameful. Why Bangladeshi players are so desperate? First Shahdat then Rubel and now Sunny. My heart bleeds in pain when I hear about these incidents bcoz I am a well wisher of Bangla cricket. Ki Dukho...aha

Old January 26, 2017, 12:35 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Ridoyer jalaa khub koshto-daiyok...
But young manuser Deher jalaa aro beshi jalamoy.

Dear Mods and Admins, if this post is inappropriate, please forgive me and kindly remove it.
Old January 26, 2017, 01:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin 3:!6
This is so shameful. Why Bangladeshi players are so desperate? First Shahdat then Rubel and now Sunny. My heart bleeds in pain when I hear about these incidents bcoz I am a well wisher of Bangla cricket. Ki Dukho...aha
gives you tissues too wipe the tears off. Let's hope fans don't burn effigies like some places fans do.
Old January 26, 2017, 01:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
Ridoyer jalaa khub koshto-daiyok...
But young manuser Deher jalaa aro beshi jalamoy.

Dear Mods and Admins, if this post is inappropriate, please forgive me and kindly remove it.

you haven't changed. thanks for the laugh BK bhai.
Old January 27, 2017, 03:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Arafat is innocent , just like Rubel. This is just groupies trying to enact revenge on stars. And shame on BCB for not protecting them. Papon is a disaster of a board president. Has done nothing in life but mismanage stuff, and live off on daddy's legacy.
Old February 1, 2017, 06:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

http://www.thedailystar.net/bangla/%...E0%A6%BE-77728

Now she brought up a case on physical abuse against her by Sunny and his mom.

So first it was leaking of pictures online which was false, as she later said Sunny only threatened her. Next it was marriage, and asking for dowry none which has any particular evidence and finally we have physical abuse

We all know very well this woman is trying to seek attention, revenge, and money. Now I am completely sure this woman is like happy, making false allegations just because our Law gives woman quite a bit of leniency when it comes to making baseless claims like this one.

Anyways I hope all this resolves soon.
Old February 1, 2017, 02:43 PM
Cricket Savant

So in Bangladesh you can just arrest someone based on charge and accusation? Any one with legal background...? Tagging Navo here.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old February 1, 2017, 09:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
So in Bangladesh you can just arrest someone based on charge and accusation? Any one with legal background...? Tagging Navo here.
Not a lawyer but I have relatives who are lawyers.

2 years back my cousin told me that if a woman accused another man for the following scenarios:
Rape
Violence against woman

You will be arrested regardless
Old February 2, 2017, 12:13 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHRAM
Not a lawyer but I have relatives who are lawyers.

2 years back my cousin told me that if a woman accused another man for the following scenarios:
Rape
Violence against woman

You will be arrested regardless
This is such a BS. Any manipulative woman can play on these victim cards and use these liberally out of spite.

Old February 2, 2017, 02:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
This is such a BS. Any manipulative woman can play on these victim cards and use these liberally out of spite.
which happened with Rubel who had to spend a night in jail
Old February 2, 2017, 05:50 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Le Fizz

Quote:
As I had said earlier, laws are Gender biased. The problem with laws like this is that the majority suffer for the crimes committed by a minority of scum. Real lowlifes who torture, tease, rape, kill et all give the powers that be the reason/excuse to bring about such changes in legalese which are lopsided. The intent may be noble, to act as prevention. But in practice there are many such cases of the law being used to harass folks.

Too many laws equals too little justice.
Old February 2, 2017, 06:29 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Sunny, as with Rubel, were arrested under the "Prevention of Oppression Against Women and Children Act 2000" [POAWC] which was enacted with the praiseworthy intent of reducing incidences of trafficking, kidnapping, rape, child molestation, etc. In terms of deterrence, it is hard to conceive a law that could be more strongly worded. However, the way the law is drafted has also left it open to abuse by unscrupulous litigants.

Firstly, the list of offences is not limited to rape, molestation, throwing acid etc. but, significantly, extends to "any indecent gesture" (s. 18, POAWC). As you can imagine, this vague phrase can include every action from inappropriate touching to (what is colloquially known as) 'eve teasing' comments. I should add that the punishment for such offences is severe, with sentences being from 2-7 years imprisonment and a fine (s. 10(2), POAWC). The scope of committing gestures that can be deemed 'indecent' has only grown with the widespread use of the internet.

Keeping that in mind, secondly, the law categorizes every offence under the Act as being 'cognizable' (s.19(1), POAWC), which means that the police have the authority to arrest suspects charged with such offences without a warrant. Given that there are serious personal consequences imposed on police officers for not completing an investigation into the offence within the stipulated time period (60 days + 30 days if necessary) they have every incentive to make an arrest immediately. In fact, under s. 59(1) of the Code of Criminal Procedure [CCP], given the nature of the offence, even a private person can arrest the accused and turn him over to the police.

Thirdly, all the offences are 'non-bailable' (s. 19(2), POAWC), which is a bit of a misnomer as it possible to be enlarged on bail after being accused with such offences -- but under stricter conditions (section 497 read with s. 19(3), POAWC). With other non-bailable offences specified in the Penal Code, the court has to be sufficiently persuaded that the accused is guilty of an offence that would receive a death sentence for the court not to grant bail, but under POAWC they can't release the accused on bail until the complainant has had the opportunity for hearing the (bail) application for the accused's release (s. 19(3), POAWC). The High Court Division of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh has the power to grant 'anticipatory' bail (s. 498, CCP) to an accused, regardless of the first instance court's order, but that is not common, as noted by this legal practitioner. In effect, the accused has to spend at least some time in jail before being released.

Fourthly, is possible for the police to recommend prosecution of the accused even if an out of court settlement is reached between the accused and the complainant. In legal parlance, this is because the offences are not compoundable. Once a case has been filed, the police have to see it all the way through to a final investigation report -- which may or may not recommend prosecution regardless of any compromise reached.

So, yes, a jilted lover, ex-wife or irate employee could conceivably exploit the wide terms of this Act to damage the reputation of the accused. As a caveat, there is a 'safety valve' in the Act where a malicious complainant can be punished with up to 7 years imprisonment and a fine for filing a false claim under the Act (s. 17, POAWC). This provision has not often been utilised, but there is a precedent from last year of a Bangladeshi woman being sent to jail for falsely accusing her ex-husband of forcing himself on her during a family visit.

I would also add that Bangladesh's Information and Communication Technology Act [ICT] also makes it possible to punish an accused for publishing defamatory and/or obscene content online that has the potential to 'corrupt' its audience (s. 57). This broadly worded section is also a cause for concern as it can be used with mal-intent as well.

TL; DR version: Yes, anyone charged with making indecent gestures to women (or children) can be arrested, without a warrant, and spend at least a day or two in jail pending bail. The accused could file a separate action claiming the case to be false but till now, it hasn't been used often.
Old February 2, 2017, 06:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
Sunny, as with Rubel, were arrested under the "Prevention of Oppression Against Women and Children Act 2000" [POAWC] which was enacted with the praiseworthy intent of reducing incidences of trafficking, kidnapping, rape, child molestation, etc. In terms of deterrence, it is hard to conceive a law that could be more strongly worded. However, the way the law is drafted has also left it open to abuse by unscrupulous litigants.

Firstly, the list of offences is not limited to rape, molestation, throwing acid etc. but, significantly, extends to "any indecent gesture" (s. 18, POAWC). As you can imagine, this vague phrase can include every action from inappropriate touching to (what is colloquially known as) 'eve teasing' comments. I should add that the punishment for such offences is severe, with sentences being from 2-7 years imprisonment and a fine (s. 10(2), POAWC). The scope of committing gestures that can be deemed 'indecent' has only grown with the widespread use of the internet.

Keeping that in mind, secondly, the law categorizes every offence under the Act as being 'cognizable' (s.19(1), POAWC), which means that the police have the authority to arrest suspects charged with such offences without a warrant. Given that there are serious personal consequences imposed on police officers for not completing an investigation into the offence within the stipulated time period (60 days + 30 days if necessary) they have every incentive to make an arrest immediately. In fact, under s. 59(1) of the Code of Criminal Procedure [CCP], given the nature of the offence, even a private person can arrest the accused and turn him over to the police.

Thirdly, all the offences are 'non-bailable' (s. 19(2), POAWC), which is a bit of a misnomer as it possible to be enlarged on bail after being accused with such offences -- but under stricter conditions (section 497 read with s. 19(3), POAWC). With other non-bailable offences specified in the Penal Code, the court has to be sufficiently persuaded that the accused is guilty of an offence that would receive a death sentence for the court not to grant bail, but under POAWC they can't release the accused on bail until the complainant has had the opportunity for hearing the (bail) application for the accused's release (s. 19(3), POAWC). The High Court Division of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh has the power to grant 'anticipatory' bail (s. 498, CCP) to an accused, regardless of the first instance court's order, but that is not common, as noted by this legal practitioner. In effect, the accused has to spend at least some time in jail before being released.

Fourthly, is possible for the police to recommend prosecution of the accused even if an out of court settlement is reached between the accused and the complainant. In legal parlance, this is because the offences are not compoundable. Once a case has been filed, the police have to see it all the way through to a final investigation report -- which may or may not recommend prosecution regardless of any compromise reached.

So, yes, a jilted lover, ex-wife or irate employee could conceivably exploit the wide terms of this Act to damage the reputation of the accused. As a caveat, there is a 'safety valve' in the Act where a malicious complainant can be punished with up to 7 years imprisonment and a fine for filing a false claim under the Act (s. 17, POAWC). This provision has not often been utilised, but there is a precedent from last year of a Bangladeshi woman being sent to jail for falsely accusing her ex-husband of forcing himself on her during a family visit.

I would also add that Bangladesh's Information and Communication Technology Act [ICT] also makes it possible to punish an accused for publishing defamatory and/or obscene content online that has the potential to 'corrupt' its audience (s. 57). This broadly worded section is also a cause for concern as it can be used with mal-intent as well.

TL; DR version: Yes, anyone charged with making indecent gestures to women (or children) can be arrested, without a warrant, and spend at least a day or two in jail pending bail. The accused could file a separate action claiming the case to be false but till now, it hasn't been used often.
Wow thanks for taking out a part of your time to give us an elaborate insight of the current legislation regarding opression against women.

About the last part, Rubel could have easily made a case against Happy if he wanted to but Rubel as we know isn't the brightest. If he did, I am sure Happy would have spent a couple of years in jail and paid a hefty fine.

Infact, in well-educated families such incidents happen less. An acquaintance of mine(female) got married to a rich household early for the sake of money. She later had fallout with her in-laws and eventually wanted to make a false accusation(on abuse against her) but her then in-laws reminded her that she didn't have any evidence and soon after the case would be dropped, they would counter with a case for making false claims and that would mean she could end up upto a few years in jail. She eventually decided against doing it.

I think the only issue with the current law in Bangladesh is that someone can be arrested if anyone just simply barks. Imagine a case being filed against Fizz on the eve of a World Cup final(held in Bangladesh), that means he has to spend some time in Jail even though the entire allegation was just false, and even the police and judges knew very well that its a false allegation
Old February 2, 2017, 08:12 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Wow thanks for taking out a part of your time to give us an elaborate insight of the current legislation regarding opression against women.

About the last part, Rubel could have easily made a case against Happy if he wanted to but Rubel as we know isn't the brightest. If he did, I am sure Happy would have spent a couple of years in jail and paid a hefty fine.

Infact, in well-educated families such incidents happen less. An acquaintance of mine(female) got married to a rich household early for the sake of money. She later had fallout with her in-laws and eventually wanted to make a false accusation(on abuse against her) but her then in-laws reminded her that she didn't have any evidence and soon after the case would be dropped, they would counter with a case for making false claims and that would mean she could end up upto a few years in jail. She eventually decided against doing it.

I think the only issue with the current law in Bangladesh is that someone can be arrested if anyone just simply barks. Imagine a case being filed against Fizz on the eve of a World Cup final(held in Bangladesh), that means he has to spend some time in Jail even though the entire allegation was just false, and even the police and judges knew very well that its a false allegation
My pleasure. I'm working and studying abroad at the moment so it's nice to sometimes dip back into Bangladeshi legislation.

I guess that would be part of the justification for keeping players secluded from the outside world during high profile international tournaments. But you never know...
Old February 2, 2017, 10:54 AM
Cricket Savant

Wow. Thanks Navo. This is what must feel like when God posts.

Old February 3, 2017, 08:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
My pleasure. I'm working and studying abroad at the moment so it's nice to sometimes dip back into Bangladeshi legislation.

I guess that would be part of the justification for keeping players secluded from the outside world during high profile international tournaments. But you never know...
But thats when they are playing abroad right? I dont think they will be arrested and put into jail say if they are in England when someone files a case in Bangladesh
Old February 3, 2017, 08:08 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
But thats when they are playing abroad right? I dont think they will be arrested and put into jail say if they are in England when someone files a case in Bangladesh
Oh, I was referring to your example of an international tournament being hosted in Dhaka. The local players are, I believe, lodged in hotels during the tournament where you hope there will be supervision, curfews etc to prevent untoward incidents- before the law even has to come into it! But from what we saw in the BPL, some of the tours....you never know.

There is a procedure for coordinating with foreign state authorities to arrest/detain an accused person abroad but the extradition process would be complicated and not worth it. They would wait for him to return to Bangladesh if he was just on tour, for e.g.
Old February 4, 2017, 01:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Oh, I was referring to your example of an international tournament being hosted in Dhaka. The local players are, I believe, lodged in hotels during the tournament where you hope there will be supervision, curfews etc to prevent untoward incidents- before the law even has to come into it! But from what we saw in the BPL, some of the tours....you never know.

There is a procedure for coordinating with foreign state authorities to arrest/detain an accused person abroad but the extradition process would be complicated and not worth it. They would wait for him to return to Bangladesh if he was just on tour, for e.g.
That obviously gives comfort that when our boys are playing a tournament abroad no-one can wreak havoc in between, unless ofcourse the tournament is held in Bangladesh.

Yes BCB is trying its level best to protect our players from being involved in anything whatsoever. Al Amin, Anamul, Nasir Jubair, Sabbir probably have been involved with random women which is why they were under supervision.
Old February 15, 2017, 03:47 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

What kind of perplexing oddball is this?

http://www.kalerkantho.com/online/sp...7/02/14/463753
Old February 15, 2017, 04:22 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World

Prem shudu eka thaka
tumi kachey nai

-Maksud
Old February 15, 2017, 04:40 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World

Tagging @iDumb in this.

Old February 15, 2017, 04:43 PM
Cricket Savant

I think this whole thing is a PR stunt to get people talking about Sunny.

Old February 15, 2017, 05:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Pilot

Prem kortey nai, prem korley eishob hoy. Straight biya kora uchit
Old February 16, 2017, 04:03 AM
Cricket Legend

This is comedy gold, this woman is pure circus clown
Old February 16, 2017, 04:40 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingara
Prem kortey nai, prem korley eishob hoy. Straight biya kora uchit
People must have been affected by the song : Array pyaar kiya to daarna kya, pyaar kiya to daarna kya