facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old May 20, 2017, 08:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Why would he kill a 11 year old boy?Thats shameless.

Old May 21, 2017, 03:18 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
If its so easy why cant you do it?

Mushy choked once...that too in a meaningless format of the game.

The guy Im referring to choked dozens of times.

I like your use of the word "proper". A proper analysis ie unbiased and therefore statisticaly valid will take numerous factors into consideration.

The funny thing is I have analyzed all comtemporary batsmen using a "proper" model and Tendulkar ranks squarely in the middle of the pack amongst the batting legends. I used a total of 5 indices that measured how well players did in 4th innings, the strenght of opposition, the relative value they had in matches they played, performamce in foreign conditions, etc. Tendulkar ranked best on the strength of opposition score, but overall was ranked right with Ponting and behind guys like Sanga and Miandad and Gavaskar.

The fact that Tendulkar dominated 2 of the indices, is evidence that the study was statistically valid. It should be since the indices were predetermined.

So if you have a statistical study I would like to see the method and the conclusion reached.

Tendulkar batted 39 times in ODI tournament finals. His scores in those matches r as follows,

(53, 0, 4, 69, 28*, 26, 0, 66, 41, 57, 67, 32, 45, 53, 95, 1, 41, 15, 134, 100, 128, 124*, 40, 0, 69, 5, 0, 17, 14, 7*, 4, 45, 8, 27, 74, 117*, 91, 138, 18)

He scored 1853 runs at an average of 55 with 6 centuries and 10 half centuries. His career average is around 45 in Odis. So, we can see that he averages almost 10 run more than his usual average in tournament finals. And we all know that tournament finals and pressure r almost synonymous.

Now, let's compare this record to his contemporaries who r known as better pressure players.

1. Ponting averages 39 in tournament finals which is 3 runs lower than his usual average 42.

2. Well known crisis player Steve wagh averages 27 in tournament finals when his usual average is almost 33.

3. I shouldn't even mention Lara's terrible record in tournament finals. He averages only 24 in tournament final where as his usual average is 40. A player who is hailed as a great pressure player had an average of 24 in tournament finals, really?

4. Kallis and inzamum averages 19 and 30 respectively in tournament finals. Useless players like these shouldn't be even mentioned beside the name of masters blaster.

As far as playing clutch innings in big matches is concerned, only player who's worthy enough to be compared to the great little master is none other than the great Vivian Richards. He averaged almost 56 in tournament finals which is almost 9 runs higher than his usual average.

And, pls don't even bring mushy to this discussion. Even uttering the name of chicken hearted mushy beside the great little master should be considered as an insult to the mighty Tendulkar.
Old May 21, 2017, 03:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Steve Waugh and Ricky Ponting won world cups as well as Sachin.
Waugh the 100 vs S Africa,Ricky the 150 in the final,and Sachin 100 vs Pakistan.
Old May 21, 2017, 06:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Why does it matter if mushy used or didnt use connections to get into the team? That is how the real world works. It is about capitalising on connections you have. If he used connections but did crap in international cricket he woulda been dropped. But he is one of the best batsman in the team lol
Old May 21, 2017, 06:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Kohli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse
Tendulkar batted 39 times in ODI tournament finals. His scores in those matches r as follows,

(53, 0, 4, 69, 28*, 26, 0, 66, 41, 57, 67, 32, 45, 53, 95, 1, 41, 15, 134, 100, 128, 124*, 40, 0, 69, 5, 0, 17, 14, 7*, 4, 45, 8, 27, 74, 117*, 91, 138, 18)

He scored 1853 runs at an average of 55 with 6 centuries and 10 half centuries. His career average is around 45 in Odis. So, we can see that he averages almost 10 run more than his usual average in tournament finals. And we all know that tournament finals and pressure r almost synonymous.

Now, let's compare this record to his contemporaries who r known as better pressure players.

1. Ponting averages 39 in tournament finals which is 3 runs lower than his usual average 42.

2. Well known crisis player Steve wagh averages 27 in tournament finals when his usual average is almost 33.

3. I shouldn't even mention Lara's terrible record in tournament finals. He averages only 24 in tournament final where as his usual average is 40. A player who is hailed as a great pressure player had an average of 24 in tournament finals, really?

4. Kallis and inzamum averages 19 and 30 respectively in tournament finals. Useless players like these shouldn't be even mentioned beside the name of masters blaster.

As far as playing clutch innings in big matches is concerned, only player who's worthy enough to be compared to the great little master is none other than the great Vivian Richards. He averaged almost 56 in tournament finals which is almost 9 runs higher than his usual average.

And, pls don't even bring mushy to this discussion. Even uttering the name of chicken hearted mushy beside the great little master should be considered as an insult to the mighty Tendulkar.
Impressive stats you have posted there, even I did not know all these details

Sadly the person you quoted is not worth posting real facts and figures, he has a tunnel vision in matters related to India and Indians, get ready for some name calling, cheap insults and sedition charges thrown at you
Old May 21, 2017, 01:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman

The alleged conman made his test debut in May 2005 and ODI debut in Aug 2006. He was dropped right after the first test at Lords in which literally the whole team sucked and was picked only once in the next two years, which happens to coincide with the height of the BNP rule. The Awami League govt has been in power since 2008. If the BNP connection is the sole reason for him getting selected, how did he survive this long while BNP leaders at all levels have not only been stripped off their positions and power since but many have been literally exterminated?

First of all, thank you Z man for engaging with me in a civil way. Lots of members don't give me that anymore only because I speak my mind and don't bow down to celebrities.

Let me address what you said. The guy who brought Mushfiqur into the team was Faruk Ahmed. Now Faruk is well liked among the BCB circle, so when AL came to power they simply accepted Faruk as their own, because well he was no real threat to them and wasn't really a hardcore BNP loyalist. But Faruk was scared off them enough to quit in 2007. And he remained silent long enough for AL to feel that he did not mean any harm to the party, and so they had no problems in him being one of the candidates in the 2013 BCB chief selector election. Because he was always liked in BCB anyway, he won that election. And AL certainly did not mind at that point having consolidated enough power. Faruk would be just another good boy, no matter where his roots were from. I mean how often do you see people switch parties, and the receiving party does not complain one bit. That is the story, the rumor itself I shall not repeat. Because it has no official sources. But because you raised some questions, I answered you as to how it could have been done.
Old May 21, 2017, 05:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

^Nobody should be surprised to know that one had to pull a few strings to get into the national squad. Politicans run every aspect of govt/semi govt organizations in our country. That's why my question was very specific, was political connection the sole reason for him getting selected or did he also have talent to back up his selection? Since the first part has already been discussed let's focus on the second part. Another way of thinking of it is, what did he do after he got the opportunity? Let's take a deeper look.

Our great cricketers of the golden era, Nannu, Bulbul, Akram, averaged 19-20 in international cricket. Only two guys got close to 30, Athar in ODI's and Bashar in tests. The subsequent tranche of players did slightly better, but the difference between the best of them was, if not unish bish then maybe chobbish pochish.

So the next question is, did Mushy take the place of a player who would've turned out to be the next Gilchrist or Dhoni? If the answer is an emphatic yes, then I believe you would've been a BC hero by now with most BC'ites rallying behind you holding "Lock him up" placards (referring to Mushy not his dad). Did he take the place of a player who would've been much better than him? I personally think BCB should've recruited a better keeper and retained him as a pure batsman. But the blame for that falls squarely on the selectors and coaches.

In terms of batting, the little guy has clearly emerged as a giant of BD cricket and accomplished more than what others who also got a lot of opportunities did. In fact he's excelled so much lately pundits around the world rate him world class. Don't take my word for it, look at the stats. In the last 6 years, he's averaged 40+ in 80 ODIs and 43 in 30 tests, and these are monster stats. The point is, we've invested so much in guys like him and now that we're finally getting repaid with dividends, you think now is the time to pull the plug?

We expect the next generation of players to be better. They are already being held to higher standards as they have better resources, infrastructure, coaching, and most importantly exposure to a winning culture, which the previous generation did not. Guys like Soumya, Mosaddek, Sabbir have tremendous potential but still it's never easy. Even a talented guy like Sabbir that many think should occupy the 3 spot averages 27 after playing 3 years. Grooming world class players takes time even if you have 50+ years of cricket history and true legends to look up to. For BD cricket it may no longer take 7-8 years as it did 10 years ago, but it will still take time to produce enough world class players that we can afford to replace Mushy. The sooner we can accept this fact and move on the better.
Old May 21, 2017, 08:48 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse

Obviously, I am more interested in Test cricket, rather than LOIs. But I am willing to look at it.

Thats impressive digging, but how many of those tournament finals were big tournaments like the World Cup or Champions trophy as opposed to random torunaments like the Compaq Cup or the Fanta Soda Cup?

Surely its a disservice to the WC or CT to equate it with the prestige of the Kitply Cups, no?

He averages 44.80 when you exclude random tri series and Asia Cups. Which is still exemplary...very good.

69, 7* (CT scores)
4, 18 (world cups)

Thats 98 runs at 32.67. Fine, not a choker unless its a world cup, but not otherworldy either. Just decent

If you Asia cups, his average is a lot better. I am in particularly generous mood so I'll give that to you today.

74, 53, 41, 24, 53 (Asia Cups)

So if you include the Asia Cup finals then his average jumps to 42.88. Exemplary but not an average of 55 as the misleading data above suggests. Why is that data misleading? Because it likely includes a lot of meaningless tri series involving Kenya or Zimbabwe or Sri Lanka. You may as well include all bilateral series in which the series was tied heading into the final and check his average there (maybe I will!).

Now when it comes to Test matches, based on 5 preset criteria I picked, Tendulkar ranks ahead of Inzy and Mahela, but behind Lara, Sanga, and Kallis. The 5 indices I picked out are:

Overall average
Average in alien conditions
Average relative to opposition bowling strength
4th innings average relative to overall average
Proportion of runs scored in matches played

I think that is pretty comprehensive without being overly difficult to research. I chose those 5 criteria before analyzing any player and had no idea which players would end up where. What say you? Bad criteria? Inherently biased against Tendulkar or India? Doesn't recognize BCCI's contribution to ICC revenue?

#OneTeam1Dream
Old May 22, 2017, 02:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
I personally think BCB should've recruited a better keeper and retained him as a pure batsman. But the blame for that falls squarely on the selectors and coaches.
The blame also falls on the man himself because he is very insecure about his keeping, and his place in the team solely as a batsman. There are some things you have to read between the lines man. He also hates that his ODI captaincy was taken away, and in one match when he was captain again, he said "it feels good to be called captain again" Clearly he believes he should have still been the captain. And he is not a good captain. People unanimously agree that he sucks as a test captain. And then, what about all his nagging and shouting and then favoritism with Mahmadullah because he is his brother in law. And then the absolutely mind blowingly premature celebration vs India and then the lack of grace to delight in their loss.

I mean these are all the marks of a total bottom scrubber. Oh, and he is going down as a historically bad keeper. Have no doubts about it. At least they had the foresight to drop Kamran Akmal to save Pakistan the embarrassment. Where as we have totally settled with one terribly inefficient and overrated Mushfiqur Rahim.

Without him, I see a brighter, more professional future for the Tigers.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:42 AM
Cricket Sage

So Roey, What is the latest? Don't see any more news. That RapeTree Hotel incident has taken all the attention.

few years back Mushfiq had a broken nose in an incident where the waiterboy in a highway rest area restaurant sucker punched him during a dispute. Do you think that has anything to do with this incident? like may be they both have genetically short-fuze?
Old May 22, 2017, 01:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
The blame also falls on the man himself because he is very insecure about his keeping, and his place in the team solely as a batsman. There are some things you have to read between the lines man. He also hates that his ODI captaincy was taken away, and in one match when he was captain again, he said "it feels good to be called captain again" Clearly he believes he should have still been the captain. And he is not a good captain. People unanimously agree that he sucks as a test captain. And then, what about all his nagging and shouting and then favoritism with Mahmadullah because he is his brother in law. And then the absolutely mind blowingly premature celebration vs India and then the lack of grace to delight in their loss.

I mean these are all the marks of a total bottom scrubber. Oh, and he is going down as a historically bad keeper. Have no doubts about it. At least they had the foresight to drop Kamran Akmal to save Pakistan the embarrassment. Where as we have totally settled with one terribly inefficient and overrated Mushfiqur Rahim.

Without him, I see a brighter, more professional future for the Tigers.
Until 2014 I had similar views. Since then a lot has changed. Most of it is water under the bridge. Two things that matter most today are:

1) Is he a performer? 40+ avg in ODI's and 43+ avg in tests in the last 5-6 years is nothing to sneeze at. Only Shak (~50 avg) and Soumya (~42 avg) have done better in Tests and ODI's, respectively, while the sample size for Soumya is much much smaller. As unbelievable as it sounds, going just by these numbers, he's good enough to land a spot in the Indian or Aussie batting line up. Not everyone is Kohli or Smith.

2) If the player has issues, are they fixable? Having a couple of trouble makers in the team isn't necessarily the worst thing, as long as they have the talent and they can be kept on a leash. Think Draymond Green. He's a big time trouble maker. The guy can't go a series without kicking someone in the nuts, his antics cost his team a championship last year. Yet coach Kerr or the team doesn't even think about getting rid of him. As annoying as he can be to his coaching staff and team mates, if the coach hadn't figured out a way to make it work and harness his talents, Golden State wouldn't have become the unstoppable force it is today.

Here's what's happened with BD team recently. We've been winning a lot since 2015. As important as it was to strip Mushy off captaincy, his immense contribution to the recent success cannot be ignored. He's been a vital cog in the winning machine that has been set in motion. In fact he was performing with the bat even before the winning started and when most others in the team sucked.

I also didn't like the fact that Mahmudullah was hogging a spot in the test squad despite failing constantly. Papon stepped in and took care of it. Only reason he's still in the ODI team today is because he actually started performing again. I have no doubt his a$$ is on the line and the moment he stops performing he'll be shown the door.

Finally we've got something going for us. Issues are being resolved. Things are moving in the right direction. Fix whatever issues remain. Take his captaincy away as he sucks as a captain. But it's not worth risking it all by adopting a Trumpian approach of firing whoever gets in the way in hopes of a brighter future.
Old May 23, 2017, 05:15 AM
Cricket Legend

^ Okay, thanks Z man. I will back off Mushfiqur for a while. But we desperately need a better keeper. Don't understand why Nurul is not being tried. Wasn't he one of the few good performers in the New Zealand tour? You would think he would be given a chance to further develop as a batsman from the confidence he gained from the tour. And wk wise, he is already one of the finest.
Old May 23, 2017, 05:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
So Roey, What is the latest? Don't see any more news. That RapeTree Hotel incident has taken all the attention.

few years back Mushfiq had a broken nose in an incident where the waiterboy in a highway rest area restaurant sucker punched him during a dispute. Do you think that has anything to do with this incident? like may be they both have genetically short-fuze?
lol. Don't laugh too hard though. If what I was saying was so ridiculous, there would be no reason for BC to censor me from using the actual words that I want to use to describe the man. Totally shut me down 1984 style. Now the best I can do is say I am displeased with Mushfiqur, lol. And you know I have stronger feelings than that.

Anyway, the case is being investigated right now. We will know if Mahbub Habib is guilty or not.
Old May 23, 2017, 01:13 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Hello guys, here we are taking about a human being murdered, the life has been snuffed out.

There are a few of you derailing this thread and disrespecting the magnitude of the death of a human being here, Why? We are going to request the mods to ban people if they need to. I mean how would you like it, IF it was your 11 years old brother who got murdered yesterday??? It may be funny to you, but NOT to me.

Please do not do this, not in here in BC. Go somewhere else and do that. And don't like the way BC is handled, created and managed, then go somewhere else. You guys are pushing the buttons of many of us, us members who are getting GENUINELY offended by this.
Old May 23, 2017, 01:19 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

If the cricketer Mushfiqur Rahim's father is truly responsible for this murder of a fellow human being, an 11 years old child - I hope the law enforcement agencies, the government, the law and order, the court system of Bangladesh hang his sorry butt on a wooden pole and burn him in public, Period.
Old June 4, 2017, 11:33 PM
Cricket Sage

First news about Mushfiq's dad being accused of murder, and now news about Musfuq's elder brother being arrested with drugs? What's going on?

Police: Mushfiqur Rahim’s brother caught with phensedyl

Last edited by Fazal; June 5, 2017 at 12:20 AM..
Old June 6, 2017, 08:29 AM
Cricket Guru

^ Article is also saying his dads on the run...
Old June 6, 2017, 10:17 AM
Cricket Legend

These families think they are above the law. Want to get away with it for as long as possible.
Old June 6, 2017, 10:17 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

I just hope this doesnt affect his game too badly.

I was watching him warm up before the game yesterday and I must say the lad has some good footie skills.
Old June 6, 2017, 10:49 AM
Cricket Legend

I believe in "innocent until proven guilty" and try to give people the benefit of the doubt until they are actually convicted, but things sure aren't looking bright for daddio. What can one achieve by running from the law except deepen suspicion.
Old June 21, 2017, 07:27 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wang Liqin

Is there any follow-up? I didn't hear anything after the accusation was made.