facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 23, 2020, 02:12 PM
Cricket Guru

One of the old BC members had something like this on his signature: "Don't argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

PS: above quote is not intended for the thread opener, I respect him enough not to suggest something like that.

BTW, kudos to our selectors for including Naim-Afif in the ODI squad. They're doing the right thing by not giving up on Liton prematurely, while giving more opportunities to others as well.

Old February 23, 2020, 08:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
^^ Well, Shanto is an accumulator, innings builder, while Liton is an aggressive risk taker. You need both types on your side, specially in LOI. Someone like Liton will be always a gamble - someday he will win the match for you single-handedly, other days he will be absolute failure. Generally aggressive batsmen take longer to pay dividend for the faith you put in them.

In our current set-up, we got enough accumulators, we got to invest in couple of aggressors. Currently, Liton-Soumya are the best we have for those roles.

Naim-Afif are other two to consider, but it's still very early for them. Naim had certain weaknesses during his U/19-HP days. It still remains to be seen if opposition bowlers can figure out those weaknesses and can exploit them, and how Naim counteracts if that happens. Afif - think this guy already let fame get to his head (thanks to Papon-Hasina), still remains to be seen how he go on from here.
Litton is certainly a risk taker but the reality is he has only caused us far more trouble than won us games. I mean how different is he from Ashraful tho. Litton's risk taking works for T20Is tho.
Old February 23, 2020, 09:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHRAM
Litton is certainly a risk taker but the reality is he has only caused us far more trouble than won us games. I mean how different is he from Ashraful tho.
Yes, in a way he's modern equivalent of Ashraful, except that Ashraful didn't have a clearly defined role. Ash was expected to play both aggressor and accumulator role based on match situation - the poor guy was rarely ever up to the task, and most of the time lived in a state of confusion.

Don't see anything wrong if we want him to be improved version of Ashraful, with a clearly defined role. The potential is clearly there, as you yourself have admitted. As I have pointed so many times already, his stats are ok given he has not really played tons of matches (unlike Ashraful) yet.

I don't see him as the root cause of our trouble, but not finding a good combination to work with him. Our idiot management can't get rid of Tamim from T20I, who does not rotate with his partners well. In ODI, namely during WC'19, Riyad became a huge hindrance for us to chase big targets, with added complication of not finding a proper solution for #7 slot.

Domingo first needs to solve those other issues first, Liton is least of his problems right now. He has the giant challenges of replacing Tamim (LOI) and Riyad (all formats) before he can nail down any combination.
Old February 23, 2020, 10:08 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
As I have pointed so many times already, his stats are ok given he has not really played tons of matches (unlike Ashraful) yet.
I agree he has the talent so does Sarkar, but after how many matches do you think we can say enough is enough with LKD?

So far, he has played combined total of around 100 innings and averages like 23.
Old February 23, 2020, 10:13 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Aggressive lower order batsmen, nothing more nothing less. Kinda like Rishbah Pant. He's a liability in the top order.

He should bat 6 or 7
Old February 23, 2020, 10:39 PM
Cricket Guru

^^ There you go. I see no reason to complain having a Pant equivalent on our side.
Old February 24, 2020, 12:19 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricman
Aggressive lower order batsmen, nothing more nothing less. Kinda like Rishbah Pant. He's a liability in the top order.

He should bat 6 or 7
Wait Liton hit a century in Australia? I may have missed that.
Old February 24, 2020, 01:09 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Pigs fly
Old February 24, 2020, 01:27 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Sabbir is also talented, I agree there comes a point where oppprtunities must run out to give others a chance but in BD maybe more than anything test nation that point is very difficult to figure out.
Old February 24, 2020, 09:52 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Melo, yup washed up Melo just scored 32.
Liton scored more than Tamim and Saif together. Jus sayin.
Old February 24, 2020, 10:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
Sabbir is also talented, I agree there comes a point where oppprtunities must run out to give others a chance but in BD maybe more than anything test nation that point is very difficult to figure out.
Sabbir had talent as a finisher in ODIs and maybe a middle order batsman in T20Is. Apart from that I dont see him possessing much ability whatsoever. His FC record is really poor, averages 30 with the bat.
Old February 24, 2020, 12:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Sabbir is one of our best t20 batsmen , the problem is we have terrible selectors such as Nannu and Bashar who judge players for one format based on a completely different formats performance which is why weak t20 players such as Soumya gets into our t20 team ahead of a Sabbir
Old February 24, 2020, 03:39 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Sabbir had talent as a finisher in ODIs and maybe a middle order batsman in T20Is. Apart from that I dont see him possessing much ability whatsoever. His FC record is really poor, averages 30 with the bat.
I would say Sabbir has talent but unlike liton he’s never shown any sort of decent consistency at any level, besides maybe the early part of his odi career.

But I wasn’t trying to make a point about Sabbir specifically I was just using him as an example as to how difficult it is to decide when to stop giving chances to a player. Liton is more difficult than Sabbir though because he’s got tremendous consistency in FC cricket.

Soumya was much like Sabbir but the difference being his odi career has gone on for longer (for good reason) and he’s still getting opportunities but soumya never showed any consistency at the domestic level, sure he was blazing it in ODIs but he certainly had not been in domestics before that.
Old February 24, 2020, 08:17 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookFinder
Wait Liton hit a century in Australia? I may have missed that.
From the little I've seen of both, I'd say Liton is a better batsman than Pant.
How many tests does Liton get to play in Australia?
Old February 24, 2020, 08:26 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovon13
Well Pant is a hack. Even then he averages almost twice as much as Liton in Test.

If Liton averaged 42 in Test, this thread wouldn't exist. P
Old February 24, 2020, 09:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Guy barely limbs to 20's at home, forget about Australia.
Old February 24, 2020, 09:42 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Liton in 20 tests has yet to even score a century!

Pant scored one in his first tour to Aus
Old February 25, 2020, 02:29 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName
Liton in 20 tests has yet to even score a century!

Pant scored one in his first tour to Aus
Liton in an away Asia Cup final almost won us the match single-handedly. Liton played a strong second to Shakib in dismantling West Indies during a WC match in England.

Tamim, Mushfiq, and even Shakib took some time to become consistent. That's why Mushfiq's test average is 35, which is preposterous given the batsman that he is today.
Old February 25, 2020, 03:06 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Liton in an away Asia Cup final almost won us the match single-handedly. Liton played a strong second to Shakib in dismantling West Indies during a WC match in England.

Tamim, Mushfiq, and even Shakib took some time to become consistent. That's why Mushfiq's test average is 35, which is preposterous given the batsman that he is today.
Yes, you can relieve his Asia cup performance for the next 10 years while he continues to flop.

Dont forget, even Mehidy Hasan Miraz opened the innings.
Old February 25, 2020, 03:30 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Yes, you can relieve his Asia cup performance for the next 10 years while he continues to flop.

Liton is not Ashraful playing in the early 2000s.

Liton has access to seniors who are actually succeeding at international levels. He can see first-hand how to build an inning. He has shown consistency at the domestic level, which is evidence of good temperament. He probably need to adjust his technique a little or cut out some shots to succeed at the intl. level.
Old February 25, 2020, 03:24 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: where do i start from?

Quote:

Yes, and we all saw what happened next. Medi single handedly lost us the match,(not his fault for opening).. that said, one of the worst players in history of Bangladesh cricket team. Unhealthy fellow. Should not be playing any form of cricket. Luck is on his side because he plays for us. He is a net bowler at best for countries who can't play spin.
Old February 26, 2020, 07:46 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightman
Yes, and we all saw what happened next. Medi single handedly lost us the match,(not his fault for opening).. that said, one of the worst players in history of Bangladesh cricket team. Unhealthy fellow. Should not be playing any form of cricket. Luck is on his side because he plays for us. He is a net bowler at best for countries who can't play spin.
That's harsh on Mehedi too. Mehedi is a good fielder, is competitive, and has shown wicket-taking abilities in spin-friendly conditions.
Old February 27, 2020, 12:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightman
He is a 21 year old guy who bowls decent spin. He was economical in the world cup and is really useful in Tests in Bangladesh

Miraz's test Batting average is similar to that if Mithun and his bowling stats aren't that bad. He can improve a lot from here onwards. Usually spinners get better with age and he is only 21.

And like the poster above said, he is a really good fielder. Also has experience in Captaincy.
Old February 27, 2020, 12:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Also how did Mehedi lost us the match? He scored some runs didn't he? It was the bhaira bhais who gifted their wicket and Soumya with his retarded RBW.
Old February 27, 2020, 06:16 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Also how did Mehedi lost us the match? He scored some runs didn't he? It was the bhaira bhais who gifted their wicket and Soumya with his retarded RBW.
agreed. the opening was very good. 2 more 30+ innings, or if Soumya kept on for another 30-40 runs - we would've won the match.