facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 19, 2017, 08:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejkuni
All walks of life? Do you know it is the Bengalis (Isa Khan, Surja Sen, Khudiram,Titumir, Fakir Mojnu Shah,Pritilata, etc.), who started the independence war against British. It is the Bengali freedom fighters who gave their life to earn independence. On the other hand Punjabis, Ghurkha, etc. were basically paid soldiers of British army.
Absolutely right. It was in Chittagong that sparked the independence movement against Britain. Only Bengalis could have endured 1971. Which is why its so frustrating when our players act so pampered and weak. Giving up at the first sign of trouble.

Old June 19, 2017, 09:26 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Our players are bunch of complacent folks with minimal intent to do better. How could they say that they had a good tournament is beyond my comprehension. In reality they were thrashed in each and every single game except the one against NZ. They were extremely lucky to play the semi, and personally I do not think we deserved that opportunity

We fans also need to stop treating them like the biggest thing that ever walked on the face of the earth. Stardom and money got into their heads. Had high hopes on Shabbir, Soumya, Mustafiz and taskin. Thought they could only get better. Unfortunately that wasnt the case
Old June 21, 2017, 01:34 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wang Liqin

I beg to differ that BAN has similar sports talents like PAK. Truth is PAK had much more success in cricket, field hockey, squash, snooker, kabaddi and wrestling. Compared to that, we have nothing in world events.

Coming to cricket, PAK always produced raw talents, especially in bowling. What they lacked in was discipline, teamwork, leadership, coaching staff etc. etc. (almost anything you need for a team sports)

If we had talents like them, we would have seen them every now and then. In recent time, only exceptions are Fizz, Mominul and perhaps SS. If someone fails, we go back to bring old players. We don't suddenly see a pace demon or a natural swing bowler. We don't see a wrist-spinner. We don't see a class or dashing batsman. What we see are bunch of semi-talents who will likely to fail on int'l level.

Or we have talents, but no one is effectively and actively looking for them.
Old June 22, 2017, 06:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Kohli

Quote:
All walks of life? Do you know it is the Bengalis (Isa Khan, Surja Sen, Khudiram,Titumir, Fakir Mojnu Shah,Pritilata, etc.), who started the independence war against British. It is the Bengali freedom fighters who gave their life to earn independence. On the other hand Punjabis, Ghurkha, etc. were basically paid soldiers of British army.
Ever heard of Lala Lajpat Rai, Bhagat Singh, Udham Singh, Sukhdev etc? People from every ethnicity fought against the British and people from all ethnic backgrounds served in the British Army, Nepalis by and large did not take part in the freedom movement because Nepal was never really a British colony.

Nationalism is fine but you don't have to belittle other's achievements to feel proud. Indian independence was the result of a collective effort, no one had monopoly in it, period.
Old June 27, 2017, 10:10 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahim
I have to admit I'm just feeling so jealous man. Wished taskin could have been our amir, fizz be our hassan Ali, mushfiq be our sarfaraz etc
Same. I am jealous - very jealous. They are a poor team but they rallied and won the whole thing. We hype our players to the moon but they fail each time. Then we get trolled by friends and on-line. I was making fun of Pk team with friends after game 1 v India - but had to eat pie after the final.

Our players are zeros.
Old June 28, 2017, 12:11 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Easy guys. Look at the history before jumping at the deep end. We have what 17-18 years of cricketing history. And WHAT a history we have.
1. Started with inferior talents of no name pace attack and a Mo Rafique. Batting side averaging teens.

2. So the next set of youth players were a breath of fresh air who averaged 20s. In came, JO, Rajin, and so many others with Jodi laigga jai Ash. It was still way below intl standard.

3. Then came a period, we chopped and changed players like underwears. 2 games, 5 games, and you are out. Anyone and everyone was on the chopping block EXCEPT the captain. That captaincy would save his job. The moment captaincy was taken away back to the chopping block. SA visited us twice. Both time Smith was the captain. After the second time thrashing us he said why we were failing. It was in the line of too much chopping and changing. The team SA faced in the first time visiting BD, none were there in the second time. He couldn't recognize anyone. Players need confidence and needs to know that mgmt will not chop them after one failure. THAT WAS THE LESSON.

4. That is why Siddons, sticked with Juniad. That is why Haturi is sticking with Sarkar. BCB is doing the unpopular thing of instant gratification crowd. Giving the reigns to the HC and not interfering much.

5. As a result, learning from the past, we have climbed up the ladder in rankings. Now people think twice before sending a team to BD. Australia has avoided once already. Pak don't want to tour nor they want to host us in UAE. Could we do better? May be. But understand this, it is a the process that gets you there. Not chopping and changing every opportunity one gets. This disturbs the chemistry of the team. The locker room becomes unstable . We have already been there before. Same thing going on with WI right at this moment.

Me take is, patience. Without patience, if you guys were the selectors instead of the armchair Captains we wouldn't be in the semis in the first place. RIyad wouldn't make the trip to England and Shakib wouldn't even play that game for most of you, who were ready to give him a good rest. Some even went after Mash and Tamim. Say, I am wrong? I dare you. I am good at digging up dead threads.
Old June 28, 2017, 03:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Easy guys. Look at the history before jumping at the deep end. We have what 17-18 years of cricketing history. And WHAT a history we have.
1. Started with inferior talents of no name pace attack and a Mo Rafique. Batting side averaging teens.

2. So the next set of youth players were a breath of fresh air who averaged 20s. In came, JO, Rajin, and so many others with Jodi laigga jai Ash. It was still way below intl standard.

3. Then came a period, we chopped and changed players like underwears. 2 games, 5 games, and you are out. Anyone and everyone was on the chopping block EXCEPT the captain. That captaincy would save his job. The moment captaincy was taken away back to the chopping block. SA visited us twice. Both time Smith was the captain. After the second time thrashing us he said why we were failing. It was in the line of too much chopping and changing. The team SA faced in the first time visiting BD, none were there in the second time. He couldn't recognize anyone. Players need confidence and needs to know that mgmt will not chop them after one failure. THAT WAS THE LESSON.

4. That is why Siddons, sticked with Juniad. That is why Haturi is sticking with Sarkar. BCB is doing the unpopular thing of instant gratification crowd. Giving the reigns to the HC and not interfering much.

5. As a result, learning from the past, we have climbed up the ladder in rankings. Now people think twice before sending a team to BD. Australia has avoided once already. Pak don't want to tour nor they want to host us in UAE. Could we do better? May be. But understand this, it is a the process that gets you there. Not chopping and changing every opportunity one gets. This disturbs the chemistry of the team. The locker room becomes unstable . We have already been there before. Same thing going on with WI right at this moment.

Me take is, patience. Without patience, if you guys were the selectors instead of the armchair Captains we wouldn't be in the semis in the first place. RIyad wouldn't make the trip to England and Shakib wouldn't even play that game for most of you, who were ready to give him a good rest. Some even went after Mash and Tamim. Say, I am wrong? I dare you. I am good at digging up dead threads.
It's good to persist with players but to a limit.

Can we persist with a batsman who averages 26 in modern day cricket, someone who keeps on failing when there is a bit of pressure.

Patience is needed but if you don't have ability you will not ever be of use.

The question the coaches have to tell themselves: is he worth it?

Believe me look at Pakistan who experienced with youths and they did so well.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old June 28, 2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye

This.

There is a reason why tigers_eye is Tigers_eye. Top post by a veteran cricket pundit.
Old June 28, 2017, 07:18 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Masrafi, Shakib, Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_1
Ever heard of Lala Lajpat Rai, Bhagat Singh, Udham Singh, Sukhdev etc? People from every ethnicity fought against the British and people from all ethnic backgrounds served in the British Army, Nepalis by and large did not take part in the freedom movement because Nepal was never really a British colony.

Nationalism is fine but you don't have to belittle other's achievements to feel proud. Indian independence was the result of a collective effort, no one had monopoly in it, period.

I agree with you that we don't have to belittle other's achievements to feel proud. I do not think that I tried to do that in my post. I said the Bengali's STARTED the anti British movement and it is well documented. We all know there are contributions from other ethnicity also (Tilak brothers, and many more).
I was trying to answer to some my FELLOW Bengali, who think that we are mentally weak. One of the most common example people usually give (in many published material and meetings you will find this) is: British did not recruit Bengali in British Army because they were of weak mentality. By giving the examples freedom fighters and Surya Sen, I was trying to explain that it is not true. During Pakistan era (1947-1971) same reasons were given by the Pakistani leaders. Only 10% of erstwhile Pakistan Army were Bengali (please read autobiography of ex-Pakistani President Ayub Khan's "Friend, not Master").

So instead of belittle others, I was trying to convince a portion of my fellow people not to belittle themselves.

( If you want to discuss more, we can go to the forget cricket section)
Old June 28, 2017, 07:21 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

^^ please do, open a thread

Mods, please don't ban me...
Old June 29, 2017, 04:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Kohli

Quote:
I agree with you that we don't have to belittle other's achievements to feel proud. I do not think that I tried to do that in my post. I said the Bengali's STARTED the anti British movement and it is well documented. We all know there are contributions from other ethnicity also (Tilak brothers, and many more).
I was trying to answer to some my FELLOW Bengali, who think that we are mentally weak. One of the most common example people usually give (in many published material and meetings you will find this) is: British did not recruit Bengali in British Army because they were of weak mentality. By giving the examples freedom fighters and Surya Sen, I was trying to explain that it is not true. During Pakistan era (1947-1971) same reasons were given by the Pakistani leaders. Only 10% of erstwhile Pakistan Army were Bengali (please read autobiography of ex-Pakistani President Ayub Khan's "Friend, not Master").

So instead of belittle others, I was trying to convince a portion of my fellow people not to belittle themselves.

( If you want to discuss more, we can go to the forget cricket section)
Thanks for the detailed reply mate, I now completely understand where you are coming from and agree with you as well, that Martial race concept was an absolute BS.