facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 21, 2005, 12:15 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

because we still got Chacha in the team.. so he cant be in ODI's... and we got Rafiq/Enamul/Rajin/Ashraful's spin bowling for the tests, which is doing fine.. and Rana's batting alone isn't good enough to get him in the test-team coz very recently we hav had Nafees/Aftab/Mashrafee entering the team with batting depth which has filled up some good positions!

This situation did not exist even 6 monthes back... so Rana was an automatic choice..

Edited on, January 21, 2005, 5:19 PM GMT, by crickethorizon.

Old January 21, 2005, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

but we used to have two allrounders together before right? we used to have mushfique and chacha together.
Old January 21, 2005, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

and who's talking about tests here?
Old January 21, 2005, 01:21 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
but we used to have two allrounders together before right? we used to have mushfique and chacha together.
yes right.. thats wht I wrote in preivous post:
"very recently we hav had Nafees/Aftab/Mashrafee entering the team with batting depth which has filled up some good positions (same in ODI too)!...This situation did not exist even 6 monthes back... so Rana was an automatic choice.."

Currently we got Mashrafee/Tapash/Mahmud doing fantastic as Allrounders... and I read somewhere that even Enamul is good with bat (he will soon hav his debut in ODI.. no doubt)..

So if u stop argueing like a 'Blind-Rana-Fan' and sit with a paper and pen and try to work out a place for Rana.. even you will find it difficult!

About Rana Replacing Alok: When Masree/Rafiq r fit to play.. even Alok wont hav a chance anymore if Aftab is kept in team.

Let me know if u can work out something.. coz I also like Rana..
Old January 21, 2005, 01:37 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

yes alok has been given a lot of chance....BEFORE!! in case you guys haven't heard that....i'll repeat myself...THAT WAS MONTHS AGO! then he was dropped, and now he's given a fresh start. now, we're asking for his head after only ONE game. please dont bring back the "endless chance" chant again. he just got back in form (yes thats what i believe, and it would've been perfect had he not been injured and not been out of cricket for like a month), so give the damn kid some time.

and on the case of rana vs. alok. we dont need a batsman who'll just hold up one end of the crease (which i dont even think rana can do consistently)...not against zimbabwe. all our other batsmen can easily occupy the crease against this bowling attack if they want to (proof: 2nd inning dhaka test). we need batsmen who can occupy the crease AND score at a brisk rate. like rajin, ash, bashar. do not tell me rana can do that.

rana is a good selection for a team trying to be competitive with other teams, not for a team trying to win against other teams.

Edited on, January 21, 2005, 6:38 PM GMT, by shovon13.
Old January 21, 2005, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally posted by crickethorizon
Quote:
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
yes right.. thats wht I wrote in preivous post:
"very recently we hav had Nafees/Aftab/Mashrafee entering the team with batting depth which has filled up some good positions (same in ODI too)!...This situation did not exist even 6 monthes back... so Rana was an automatic choice.."

Currently we got Mashrafee/Tapash/Mahmud doing fantastic as Allrounders... and I read somewhere that even Enamul is good with bat (he will soon hav his debut in ODI.. no doubt)..

So if u stop argueing like a 'Blind-Rana-Fan' and sit with a paper and pen and try to work out a place for Rana.. even you will find it difficult!

About Rana Replacing Alok: When Masree/Rafiq r fit to play.. even Alok wont hav a chance anymore if Aftab is kept in team.

Let me know if u can work out something.. coz I also like Rana..
well i really don't intend to argue like a blind rana fan...in fact i AM no rana fan in the first place - i just want what is good for the team...

because even any cricket murkho would agree that rana should've played instead of alok in the first odi

and yes, i agree that when masri/rafique/enamul come in, there will be no place for rana or alok. i never said that i wanted rana in the team permanently; but yesterday, we should have played rana instead of alok.
Old January 21, 2005, 05:57 PM
Street Cricketer

I think we lost the match when we could not capitalize the let offs we got from the Zim fielders.Rajin,Bashar and Ashraful our top order,all of them got lifes.It was a gettable target in that placid wicket.We can still keep Alok Kapali as an allrounder.Just wondering who gonna replace Aftab?And finally Bashar sucks as a captain.Bring back Mashud as the captain so Bashar can concentrate on his batting.We were missing Rafique and Mashrafee.Hope they are fit enough to play at Chittagong.
Old January 21, 2005, 06:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

I agree with ATMR. Rana is a great replacement for struggling Aftab and Alok. Now I did not forget about Aftab's heroics against India. But so far in 5 innings against ZIM (tests+1 day) Aftab is just not clicking. Either he is not confortable with ZIM's bowling or out of form. About Alok, although he is a great #6 player, I can assre you Rana will bring more value.

Now lets play him next game and we will see.
Old January 21, 2005, 06:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

Looks like Prothom-alo reporter did not find any +ves from 1st ODI. He said there were just too many mistakes. I agree.
Old January 22, 2005, 02:53 AM
ODI Cricketer

BD can talk about positives when they face a much stronger side where they are expected to lose. Here they were the favourites and they were expected to win. Under these circumstances, there are likely to be more negatives than positives to talk off.

I feel that toss will play a vital role in this series. Whichever team wins the toss will bat first. Unless the side battting first messes up very badly, it will have a decent chance of winning if they can put on a tidy total of about 250 runs. Neither of the two sides has the temperament to successfully chase a decent target.

Zimbabwe batsmen are very inexperienced in the art of batting in ODI. Everyone of them, even Taibu and Taylor thinks that giving the ball a mighty whack is the only way to score in an ODI. They do not know how to milk the bowling in the middle overs by rotating strikes. Following their batting on cricinfo may give the impression that the Zimbabwe batsmen were rotating strike, but following the batting on TV, it was clear that they were throwing their bats and hoping to clear the ropes. If they were lucky, the ball was going in gaps and they were able to pick singles. It was more by chance and less by design. If they had the ability to rotate the strike, they would have not gifted their wickets to Chacha and they could have ended up with a much higher total.

As for BD batting, it was complacence and arrogance that caused the downfall of Nafis iqbal and Rajin who chose the wrong balls to hit and scooped catches. In the middle over Utseya and Hondo bowled superbly and the asking rate started mounting as they claimed five wickets between them. From that time, it was always going to be an uphill task for BD.

Both teams are inexperienced in ODI. Zimbabwe showed their inexperience in their inability to rotate the strike, whereas BD batsmen showed that they are not good chasers. Chasing is a difficult skill as it has to be performed under severe pressure and the BD batsmen failed to cope with it. Though it should be said to their credit that unlike earlier chases, where they just tried to reduce the margin of defeat, this time they were actually going for a win. The fact that they got all out while doing that, shows that they tried to chase. After a few more efforts, they could well pull off a successful chase. That would count as a positive.

Edited on, January 22, 2005, 7:56 AM GMT, by cricketfan.
Old January 22, 2005, 06:49 AM
First Class Cricketer

because even any cricket murkho would agree that rana should've played instead of alok in the first odi [/quote]

** but that is exactly the point that we have been arguing.. in other words, there are many of us who do NOT agree .. How can we?? when u are comparing a genuine batsman (with some bowling) with a tid- bit player!!!
Old January 22, 2005, 03:51 PM
First Class Cricketer

I saw Rana play he can be a decent spinner at times and can bat ok he has no special batting skills may be we need just one player like that who just sits there but he cant field though. BUt he is a happy passiionate cricketer... there are few criketers who are worse than him.
Old January 22, 2005, 04:13 PM
First Class Cricketer

i was thinking how many of us have seen Rana/Aftab/
kapali batting on TV/ground????

it can make a significant difference... is our judgment based on cricinfo or just sdtatistics (which never shows when runs are scored under loosing cause..) For example, aftab's 49 ball 30 in the first one dayers set the tone for the rest od the series.. which one can't tell by looking at the scoreboard..