facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 7, 2008, 04:17 AM
Cricket Guru

Pervez bhai, how did you like Saqlain ? Was he loopy or flattish ? Does he turn the ball well ? High arm action or sling arm like Shakib ?

Old January 7, 2008, 04:31 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

he looked like a pretty good bowler although it's hardly any indication given that he was bowling on a fourth day bangladeshi pitch. Nevertheless, he bowled very well.

He is very similar to shakib. He's not afraid to flight the ball which is admirabae. There wasn't much variety except for the armball which is a worrying sign. He'll need to learn a bit more variety if he's going to be a better bowler. Even doing things like changing the angle and trying around the wicket, he could have troubled the batsmen a bit more.

From what i saw none of the players were thinking about what they were doing and just playing like robots. It was a really close game but you didn't see pilot try anything different with his bowlers or even the bowlers weren't tryin anything new. Now i can see why the national team struggles so much. There was no grit in the players. When you have a team 7 down and on the ropes, you go for the kill, instead Rajshahi just carried on like they had lost the game even though at that stage they were probably on top.

It was good to get a perspective on what is first class cricket like in BD as i've never seen any bangladeshi FC games before...
Old January 7, 2008, 04:33 AM
Cricket Guru

Highest wicket taker of the league this season, Mosharraf Hossain, has 107 NCL (FC) wickets at average 26.7 . He still holds the record of taking 9 wickets in an innings in an NCL match.
Old January 7, 2008, 04:45 AM
Cricket Guru

Thanks Pervez bhai for your description of the match. Surprised to hear Pilot acted so negatively as the captain !
Old January 7, 2008, 04:48 AM
Cricket Guru

Raqibul is gone

Khulna Vs Barisal
Khulna 193 & 325/10
Barisal 217 & 210/6 Over -80; Hannan 18, Nasiruddin 60, Imran 23, Raisul 6, Abul Bashar 3, Raquibul 53, Arafat 13*, Shaheen 14*; Murad 3/52, Jamal Babu 2/39, Robiul 1/42
Old January 7, 2008, 04:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Raqibul is gone

Khulna Vs Barisal
Khulna 193 & 325/10
Barisal 217 & 210/6 Over -80; Hannan 18, Nasiruddin 60, Imran 23, Raisul 6, Abul Bashar 3, Raquibul 53, Arafat 13*, Shaheen 14*; Murad 3/52, Jamal Babu 2/39, Robiul 1/42
Mon kharap koiren na Eshen bhai. He'll definitely be in the national team in a few years. Probably the most patient batsman who can also score runs (adding the "also score runs" part to exclude him from players such as Belim).
Old January 7, 2008, 05:00 AM
Club Cricketer

no worries mate. i was just really excited to see some form of cricket on tv... haha. Like i said it was good to get an insight, albeit a short one, into bangladeshi first class cricket.
Pilot wasn't that bad, he did make a few crucial changes by bringing on saqlain and putting a few fieldrs around the bat, but i thought he should have done more from the other end coz alamgir was bowling crap and didn't look like getting a wicket. i don't know, maybe he had no other bowlers that were capable.
Worst of all, anther umpire kills another team, must be that time of the year... i think he may have cost Rajshahi the title...
Old January 7, 2008, 05:02 AM
Club Cricketer

on another note, i thnk its apalling that BTV can show a local game on tv live but couldn't show the Bangladesh v NZ games on tv... very poor...
Old January 7, 2008, 06:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Khulna Vs Barisal
Khulna 193 & 325/10
Barisal 217 & 238/10
Khulna won by 63 runs & champ of NCL 07-08. Congrats to Khulna team

Rajshahi Vs Dhaka
Rajshahi 365/9 (dec) & 77/10
Dhaka 313 & 131/7
Dhaka won by 3 wickets

Sylhet Vs Chittagong
Sylhet 354 & 201/10
Chittagong 319 & 239/3
Chittagong won by 7 wickets

Last edited by nasimul; January 7, 2008 at 10:49 AM..
Old January 7, 2008, 06:47 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_king
Not the greatest of averages...but at least the runs came in. I have high hopes for this guy. I really do think he will be a permanent player in the middle order in a few years.
hopefully both nazimuddin and ehsanul haque will get good runs in the national test side sooner rather than later.
Old January 7, 2008, 06:49 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Raqibul is gone

Khulna Vs Barisal
Khulna 193 & 325/10
was hoping raqibul would get a century here, he's a good prospect with a good average but he's running low on centuries.
Old January 7, 2008, 07:24 AM
First Class Cricketer

finally, Khulna lifts the title. Well played Rajshahi and Dhaka as well.

Anyone knows where Miraz bhai is? His prediction for Khulna was 5/6th this year. Im happy that Khulna managed to prove their ability.
Old January 7, 2008, 08:13 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

[QUOTE=nasimul;603613]

Rajshahi Vs Dhaka
Rajshahi 365/9 (dec) & 77/10
Dhaka 313 & 131/7
Dhaka won by 3 wickets & champ of NCL 07-08. Congrats to Khulna team

QUOTE]

Old January 7, 2008, 08:36 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehsin
I will be surprised if Dhaka does not win every single match with the given lineup. Whatever happened to Chittagong's bowling lineup ? Is Wascorni any good ? They asked him to correct his bowling style and now he bowls at 76-81 mph. How old is tarek Aziz ? Gazi ALamgir had a few shots at the national level and then he went missing. Not expecting much from CTG this year. However, there''ll be some explosive batting.
Dhaka khub e valo team sikar kori. champion hobar moto abilty ache setao thik. Kintu tai bole 'sobgulo match' jitar moto team ektu beshi expect kora hoye gelo mone hoy. Apni ki domestic league e Rajshahi'r performance kemon janten, naki Dhaka'r squad dekei emon comment korsilen. Bhai, ar kisu na hok ontoto paper er hisebe kintu Khulna'r team tai sobcheye strong silo. Onek din dhore wait kortasilam apnar ei comment tar uttor dibar jonno.
Old January 7, 2008, 09:58 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell, aftab ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pervez mia

Anyhow, If these are the next tier players in Bangladesh, we have a long way to go before we can become a force of any sort in world cricket.
This is exactly the point I was making on another thread. In BD's 1st class competition teams rarely score 300+ runs or last the full 4 days and only a handful of players score hundreds (150s and double centuries are virtually non-existent).

Now, I know there are far fewer teams (than say Australia or English county cricket) involved in the NCL, but this is still well below what we should be aspiring too.
Old January 7, 2008, 10:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Congrats Khulna. I would be more happy if Rajshahi won the title.
Old January 7, 2008, 11:40 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Congrats to Khulna.
They were consistently at the top the whole time.
Esp after loosing few of their main xi to the national team, im happy to see they could still maintain their supremecy.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old January 7, 2008, 11:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Congrats Khulna. It was definitely the first step toward having a relevant and serious domestic cricket in Bangladesh but much work is still needed to be done.

Next year, I hope to see more money involved and players take the game more seriously. National team callup shouldn't be the only motivation for the NCL players. There should be some sort of financial reward for players who are performing better than others. It is about time divisions start paying the players based on how they are performing. Ofcourse there should be a minimum salary but unless divisions start competing for a player, a player will never get his full worth. Different corporation can sponsor different divisions. That will not only allow divisions to spend more money on players but they can spend money on coaches, trainer and the facilities. Next year should be the year when a private channel should broadcast NCL regularly based on the matchups. So much work to be done.
Old January 7, 2008, 01:42 PM
Cricket Guru

Mosharraf is Rafique's pick

http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=18297

Dhaka's left-arm spinner Mosharraf Hossain finished as the highest wicket-taker after his match winning six-wicket burst against Rajshahi in the tenth and final round of the 9th National cricket League at the Mirpur Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium yesterday.

The stunning success in the last game also brought him the man-of-the match award but undoubtedly in the end what made the lanky spinner most happy was the comment of his senior teammate Mohammad Rafique.

"What I believe is that Rubel (Mosharraf Hossain) should be in the squad for the upcoming home series against South Africa. I honestly believe that he is now ready to become a worthy successor of me," ace Rafique reflected on his young fellow's 44-wicket haul in the country's first-class competition.

The obvious question that then arose is the future of the long-serving cricketer but the veteran spinner seemed unbothered about the prospect, instead smilingly saying: "Just ask him what I told him (Mosharraf)".

"Rafique bhai has repeatedly told me that the time has come for me to represent the national side although he has always been aware of what that would mean for him. I am really fortunate that a player like him has praised me in such a way," Mosharraf responded on this inquiry.

Rafique, who failed to get a place in the team for the ongoing New Zealand tour, showered praises on the young prospect.

"He has got the quality to become a good all-rounder. I am especially impressed by his mental strength which is most important in international cricket. He now just needs some nursing under the national team management," Rafique said.

The 26-year old Mosharraf, a student of Dhaka University, however was not in a hurry to find a place in the national side rather he wanted to improve as much as he can before making his international debut.

"It was very encouraging for me to see that my domestic performances have led me to be considered for a national call-up. My main object is to perform well in any level. I am satisfied that I have fulfilled my target in the league and now I am looking forward to continuing it. I am also trying to improve my batting," said Mosharraf.

The lanky spinner also explained the reason behind Rajshahi's second innings debacle.

"At one stage we thought that there was no chance for us to do anything against them (Rajshahi) that's why I had decided to do some experiment in my bowling. I tried variations which worked brilliantly and definitely from now on I will try to continue it to become a good longer-version bowler," he added.
Old January 7, 2008, 01:53 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

No wonder he is doing so well in both batting and bowling. he is 26+2 at least. He is in the age where a batsman starts to understand the trick of batting and and spinner starts to become mature and more dangerous... and after Rafiqs comment i demand him to be included in place of so called all rounders. he should be in the team instead of Jr., sakib, or tusher.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old January 7, 2008, 01:55 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Kulna kept their promise. long live rana and shitu in our memory... kulna said they will dedicate the champion ship to them... well done.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old January 7, 2008, 02:22 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Default Congrats KHULNA for winning the four day NCL title (2007-08)

This is from the first page of this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I am happy with hometown Khulna by the way. Only missing Rana. Hablu mia'rey jodi kono bhabey size kora jeto i would be flying high like my avatar. "To air is human."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
In my book, Rajshahi would end up in the top. Who knows over-rated, not interested Ash's team may end up even at 3rd or lower. This I consider after the call up of national players for test.
Basking in the sun with a grin.
Old January 7, 2008, 04:21 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Khulna it is
Sports Reporter-DS

Khulna players erupt in ecstasy after the fall of the final Barisal wicket during their National Cricket League match at Khulna Divisional Stadium yesterday. Photo: TigerCricket.com
The dramatic last round of the 9th Na-tional Cricket League saw Khulna regaining the first-class title after four seasons when they handed a 63-run defeat to Barisal at the Birshreshtha Shaheed Flight Lieutenant Matiur Rahman Stadium in Khulna yesterday.

Khulna took the opportunities with both hands after the fate of the title race swung their way following nearest rivals Rajshahi's second-innings batting debacle at the Mirpur Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium, where hosts Dhaka recorded an exciting three-wicket win.

The victors dedicated the triumph to their former teammates -- Manzarul Islam Rana and Sajjadul Hasan Shetu -- who died in a road accident in March last year.

It was a big turnaround for Khulna, who slumped to the bottom of the table last season and most importantly, they achieved it without their star players in the last few rounds.

They, however, owed one to Dhaka left-arm spinner Mosharraf Hossain who picked up two more wickets yesterday to return with figures of 6-13 and make sure there was no tail-end recovery by Rajshahi in the second essay.

Resuming the day on 59 for seven, Rajshahi -- who began the tenth and final round one point adrift of Khulna -- were bundled out for 77 to set a meagre 130-run target for the home side.

A middle-order Dhaka hiccup, however, revived Rajshahi's hopes at one stage but Mahmudullah Riyad and stand-in skipper Mohammad Sharif guided their team home just before the tea break.

Rajshahi's only remaining hope to regain the trophy was a draw in Khulna but the determined home team made no mistake to bowl out Barisal before reaching a stiff target of 302.

In terms of record, Rajshahi finished two wins ahead of their rivals with five victories but they lost three matches. Khulna lost only one match which finally settled the issue.

The new system of batting and bowling bonus points in addition of handsome financial package brought huge excitement in the ninth version of the league although absence of the national players in the last few rounds dampened the spirit a bit.
Old January 7, 2008, 04:42 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
The new system of batting and bowling bonus points in addition of handsome financial package brought huge excitement in the ninth version of the league although absence of the national players in the last few rounds dampened the spirit a bit.
Now we need to see more games, an increase of the current financial packages, better pitch and umpiring (longer trained) in the coming years. Job very well done BCB.
Old January 7, 2008, 05:16 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu2abu
This is exactly the point I was making on another thread. In BD's 1st class competition teams rarely score 300+ runs or last the full 4 days and only a handful of players score hundreds (150s and double centuries are virtually non-existent).

Now, I know there are far fewer teams (than say Australia or English county cricket) involved in the NCL, but this is still well below what we should be aspiring too.
australia have the same number of teams as the NCL.....but if there were fewer teams that would mean the standard should be higher in the competition with the fewer teams. the more teams the lower the standard should be. the best example of this is australian domestic cricket versus english county cricket. australia's comp is stronger than the english county comp because it's much tougher to get into a team in australia (due to having less teams) than it is in county cricket, there are other factors but this is a big reason why the standard in county cricket is lower than in australian domestic cricket.