facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 3, 2005, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Default Some stats after the first 2 games of the Sri Lanka Series

After the first 2 games

The top 3 batsmen (by runs scored):

(Runs, HS, Ave, SR)

Shahriar Nafees: (90, 51, 45, 63.38)
Habibul Bashar: (55, 41*, 55, 72.36)
Khaled Mashud: (41, 39*, NA, 44.56)

Syed Russel has a SR 100, in the one match he played and scored 15.

Only 3 players have SR < 50

Tapas = 44
Pilot= 44.56
Aftab = 48.75

Only Bashar and Shahriar has avg > 20

The top 2 bowlers (by wickets):

(W, Ave, Best, SR, Econ)

Syed Russel: (3, 30.33, 2-42, 40.0, 4.55)
Mohammad Rafique: (3, 36.33, 2-47, 40.0, 5.5)

Incidently, Rana with 2 wickets has the 2nd best average (32.5) and the best econ rate (4.33)

Worst 2 econ rate:
Tapas: 6.4
Nazmul: 7.62

Only bowler not to have taken a wicket: Chacha

Edited on, September 3, 2005, 3:41 PM GMT, by Zunaid.
Reason: typo

Edited on, September 3, 2005, 5:06 PM GMT, by Zunaid.
Reason: fixed bashar's sr

Edited on, September 3, 2005, 6:30 PM GMT, by Zunaid.

Old September 3, 2005, 10:40 AM
Administrator

See more stats here
Old September 3, 2005, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

one correction: bashar also has SR<50. that makes it four.
Old September 3, 2005, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
one correction: bashar also has SR<50. that makes it four.
Corrected my original post. Bashar's SR = 72.36. The second best after Rasel's.
Old September 3, 2005, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

>>Bashar's SR = 72.36

that's a relief.
Old September 3, 2005, 12:26 PM
ODI Cricketer

So from the two games so far... who is our biggest liability? IMO it's Taposh.
Old September 3, 2005, 02:07 PM
Club Cricketer

HELL YEAH.....i dont like the way they calculate avg. for batting ....i mean HBashar...55...come on how much b*****it! He really has an avg of about 22.5...but anyway i like Tapash even though i know he is an expensive liability, but what can you do when he is your only actuall Fast/medium bowler who has any pace?????!
Old September 3, 2005, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally posted by fchud84
HELL YEAH.....i dont like the way they calculate avg. for batting ....i mean HBashar...55...come on how much b*****it! He really has an avg of about 22.5...
well, if you think about it, it's not his fault that we ran out of overs to bat. so it's only fair that all of his 41* gets carried on to his next inning. so i guess the way they calculate batting averages is not b******t after all
Old September 3, 2005, 04:36 PM
Club Cricketer

yeah technically the conventionally way of working it out means 41 is not b******t. BUT....cmon bro lets be realistic here, considering how **** all our batsmen were in the first ODI, HBashar wasnt going to get any more runs. NOW, if it was someone like Pietersen there would have been a high possibility he may have made another 70/100 runs with HBashar thats not the case!
Old September 3, 2005, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

why dont you figure out a way to calculate averages depending upon the names of the players, then?
Old September 3, 2005, 04:43 PM
Club Cricketer

elaborate on that
Old September 3, 2005, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

well, since you're not satisfied with the current way of calculating averages, i was wondering if you had anything better to do about it than just go on swearing at it? like probably some suggestion for a more efficient way of calculating averages? surely giving pieterson an average of 22.5 wouldn't sound right because if he were not out on 41, there'd still be a probability of him scoring more runs had he had more time (as you mentioned in your last post)?
Old September 3, 2005, 06:13 PM
Club Cricketer

I dont think you quite grasp wot im saying....Firstly, Pietersen was an example, at his level we would use historical evidence to suggest an innings of , eg, 21 not out, would be unlucky because with an avg. of 87.33 there is a high prob. that he would get a higher score. Hab. Bashar due to his 'not out' ended up with a 55 avg. which is misleading due to the fact his avg in general is only 19.19.
As a result i as a fan expresses dismay at the way avg. as misleading, as a fan its my perogative.
Oh yeah....i have better things to do in life than to work out other methods of calculations.
Old September 3, 2005, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

then go do better things rather than swearing at a system which obviously makes sense

cricket stats are a lot dependant on the phrase "given that everything else is constant". there are so many factors that can probably affect a particular stat, but one has to assume that they are constant. statements like "no other bd batters were doing good so bashar wouldn't have scored anyways" are redundant. the average, by definition, is the number of runs scored per inning, and it's meaningless to count innings (not the runs scored in those innings) where the batsman remained not out.

given more time, bashar could probably have scored 14 more, 40 more, or nothing at all. we dont know. however, what we do know is that he scored 55 runs before getting out, which is good enough. moreover, he scored them at a strike rate of 72, which is pretty good.

similarly, given more time, pietersen would probably score zero more.

it's all like a hattrick split between two overs, where the bowler bags a wicket off each of his last two deliveries of the over, and comes back to complete the hattrick in the first ball of his next.

and just because someone has an average of 19 doesnt really take any credit off him when he does relatively better.
Old September 4, 2005, 04:44 AM
Club Cricketer

Historical evidence is the basis to most opinions, thats how selectors pick teams, thats how supporters may judge players, etc. Based on the Bangladesh innings on that particular day, HBashar's form and his avg. stat i made a prediction.
Now reiterating a point i made earlier i as a fan and as a human have the right to make an opinion, and my opinion that the statistic that HBashar had after two games an avg. of 55 in batting is misleading and is b*****it. The way they calculate this is fine but i thnk its slightly misleading, your so defensive about the way its calculated, why, did you develop the method?Am i not allowed to have an opinion on it?
For a neutral to the sport, with no real knowledge of the statistics coming across the figure of HBashar having an avg. of 55, may seem that he achieved a total of 55 in both innings hence an avg. of 55, thus being misleading...do you not see the possibility of this at all?
So there is no real problem with me highlighting this, after all this part of my original post wasnt even my main point...my main point was based on Tapash's liability.
To be honest this has turned into a stupid discussion, i think the avg. method is misleading sometimes, im allowed to have an opinion without being told to go and make up a new method of calculation. If you've taken and accepted everything on face value fair enough mate, but dont preach to others for having slight differing opinions. After all no-one in the world is the same. If you dont agree with me just dont reply, ratehr than telling me not to swear at the system, when in actually fact i said, saying HBashar has an avg. of 55 is b*****it, not the way they calculate it.