facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 28, 2010, 11:23 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default The importance of Jahurul Islam on the Tour of England.

Hey guys,

I wanted to discuss about the inclusion of Jahurul Islam and how significant his role will be on this test series.

First and foremost, I have to applaud the management for sticking with him on this tour and getting him couple of practice games to build up his confidence. I also appreciate the fact that they sent Jahurul out to bat instead of Ashraful right after Imrul's departure. A 16 of 53 balls was more or less the type of innings required from one end especially considering the fact that the day was about to end. Also, reading about how Ashraful has decided to change his overall batting approach by reverting to his old aggressive self makes me think that he would better be suited to bat at number five or six. It is not to say that I think Ashraful would have failed if he was sent down at number four yesterday. I think management was quite smart to have faith on Jahurul at number four.

So far, he seems to be in good touch and in control except for the inside edge at the last over yesterday. It seems to me that he is adept on handling bounce. I will reserve my judgment of his technique against spin as I feel he will face a lot of them tomorrow. So far the hard work seems to have been done. All he needs to do tomorrow is to play off the initial overs and then build up on that partnership with Junaid.

This series will mean a lot for Jahurul. And Bangladesh will certainly benefit a lot if he could emulate his domestic success on this tour. It would also instill a greater faith on the domestic first class competition to the selectors and fans.

What are your opinions?

Old May 28, 2010, 11:29 PM

I would also like to mention that this is not a Jahurul Islam fan page but more of how much impact he might be to this tour. I think it's still way too early to have a verdict on his overall batting capability. But I will be closely watching him tomorrow and wish for the best.
Old May 28, 2010, 11:33 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Spot on Tonoy.

well, he already scored around 158 on the first warm up match. plus, He is one of those Bangladeshi players who has a lot of experience at the First class level.

This partnership with Junaed will dictate the pace of the Bangladesh innings and also the total. So many times we have seen collapses after collapses after such a great position Bangladesh have put themselves into batting wise.

I am not expecting much from Ashraful since much is already expected from him! Ashraful needs to overcome his psychologicl barriers to suceed in international cricket.

Great to see finally top order coming together Alhamulillah! out of all the opponents, against England,at their own turf...Hoping this continues...
Old May 29, 2010, 12:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Whatever I have seen from Jahurul so far, it is more positives than negatives.

His success in international level is necessary to get the confidence back in our domestics. Already we feel that a player who has 2/3 year back to back good season in NCL, is a player who is capable of doing good in top level. Success of Jahurul will inspire all those hard working cricketers who are playing in NCL.
Old May 29, 2010, 12:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

Jahurul has the right technique for bouncy pitches, his trigger movement is towards the back foot, a rare, if not extinct habit amongst sub continent players. But it's still way too early to really judge him, its still early days in his career. But he bats a lot like the Aussies that play test cricket when they are 28-30. Jahurul looks composed, doesn't look that troubled by bounce and I think he is capable to playing big knocks.
Old May 29, 2010, 12:18 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseer
Whatever I have seen from Jahurul so far, it is more positives than negatives.

His success in international level is necessary to get the confidence back in our domestics. Already we feel that a player who has 2/3 year back to back good season in NCL, is a player who is capable of doing good in top level. Success of Jahurul will inspire all those hard working cricketers who are playing in NCL.

Spot on...

Regardless of how we perform this England tour. We have to continue improving our NCL First class cricket, We have to continue encouraging first class tournaments, introduce challenging pitches and provide two tier division system. find methods to encourage players to perform => both financially and using proper athletic facilites. encourage proper fitness training, hire professional coaches for every division. if these things gets implemented soon in Bangladesh, insha'Allah, Bangladesh will easily dominate test cricket, not only that all forms of cricket.

We always have the passion, we always have the talent, we need the proper facilities, proper system in place to take us to the next level, which is winning!
Old May 29, 2010, 12:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

So does this mean that NCL performance means something? I mean wasnt Jahurul a product of NCL?
Old May 29, 2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhakablues
So does this mean that NCL performance means something? I mean wasnt Jahurul a product of NCL?
Yes, I think it's safe to assume that Jahurul is a complete product of NCL. Let's just hope he doesn't turn out to be another Tushar Imran.
Old May 29, 2010, 12:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Cricinfo commentators' comments mostly attributed his runs to being lucky. They only praised Tamim & Zunaed so far.
Old May 29, 2010, 12:39 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

i think he is a better option than Dramaqueen to play at no 4.

and may be with some more exposure he may eventually be tamims opening partner.
Old May 29, 2010, 01:18 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by offstump
i think he is a better option than Dramaqueen to play at no 4.

and may be with some more exposure he may eventually be tamims opening partner.
he he. like ur comments. drama queen is good for ODI only.

liked all the comments in this thread.
Old May 29, 2010, 03:19 AM
Banned

After watching him playing himself yesterday and his video interview I feel he has the right mindset unlike most of the previous generation players. I also liked his interview with prothom-alo after his debut test when he said the only reason his first runs in test cricket was a straight six over Graeme Swan's head because there were fielders everywhere expect behind the bowler. He also said playing 60+ first class match gave him the confidence to come dancing down the wicket knowing he could make contact. And that was only his first test. He is giving me the hope to think high of Shamsur Rahman as well. Hopefully we will soon have 'good enough quality' batsmen to permanently replace the likes of Aftab, Imrul and probably Ashraful.
Old May 29, 2010, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

I like him. I think he's much better as a batsman than some of the idiots that are playing - and in recent times have played - for us in the top order. His presence certainly adds to my confidence on our batting line up and I'm sure it has a similar impact on the players and the management. The Test spot is his to lose, but I already think he's ahead of many others in the setup.
Old May 29, 2010, 04:11 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsd3
Cricinfo commentators' comments mostly attributed his runs to being lucky. They only praised Tamim & Zunaed so far.
I followed the CI commentary yesterday, and I thought among Imrul, Junaed and Jahurul, Jahurul relied the least on luck to survive/score runs against English pacers.

At least 20 of the first 30-35 runs of Junaed came through edges.
Old May 29, 2010, 04:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
Spot on Tonoy.

well, he already scored around 158 on the first warm up match. plus, He is one of those Bangladeshi players who has a lot of experience at the First class level.

This partnership with Junaed will dictate the pace of the Bangladesh innings and also the total. So many times we have seen collapses after collapses after such a great position Bangladesh have put themselves into batting wise.

I am not expecting much from Ashraful since much is already expected from him! Ashraful needs to overcome his psychologicl barriers to suceed in international cricket.

Great to see finally top order coming together Alhamulillah! out of all the opponents, against England,at their own turf...Hoping this continues...
that is what we need now,for our top order to perform and set a good platform for the middle order batsmen.i am soo proud of everyone who have batted so far except for imrul.that as a very stupid way of losing his wicket.nevertheless,i'll be keeping an eye out forjahurul today and hope that they can live upto the expectations of the million fans who are following them.
Old May 29, 2010, 05:18 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

he looks matured & patient to me.
Old May 29, 2010, 05:25 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Jahirul and Shafiul are my boys. I became a fan as soon as I saw them play and I will back them no matter what...unless they become Ashrafuls.
Old May 29, 2010, 05:29 AM
Cricket Sage

If JS make a loser like Big Z. turn into a half decent batsman i'm sure JS can make something out of Jahirul. He seems like a hard worker, I just hope our selectors will give him a fair amount of chances.
Old May 29, 2010, 05:56 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Shakib, SN, Tamim

^^^^
He turned Ash into crap, only now is Ash turning into crap
Also, he made a test fit batsman like Bhim turn into a criminal for playing test
He made Rasel and Nazmul, 2 quality bowlers become Faltu
Old May 29, 2010, 06:02 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangladesh_sy
If JS make a loser like Big Z. turn into a half decent batsman i'm sure JS can make something out of Jahirul. He seems like a hard worker, I just hope our selectors will give him a fair amount of chances.
Big Z was a loser?

The guy scored a 50 on his first international game (T20 game that was). He also hit a 50 on his Test debut. JS tokhon matro team er sathe join korse (I think that was his first tour).

He had some flaws in his techniques and he still has it.
Old May 29, 2010, 06:58 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ashraful♥Raqibul foreve

Still can't judge him, hasn't done much, looked uncomfortable and barely survived the day.
Old May 29, 2010, 08:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

Big Z showing a lot of determination

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old May 29, 2010, 10:40 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murad
Big Z was a loser?

The guy scored a 50 on his first international game (T20 game that was). He also hit a 50 on his Test debut. JS tokhon matro team er sathe join korse (I think that was his first tour).

Those were flukes. No one knew him or anything about his game. Once he got figured out his batting was looking hopeless around last year but Siddons helped him rediscover himself and now he is en route to become the best number 3 we have ever had. And maybe you need to watch some other cricket matches as well. Other than most English and Aussie batsmen everyone has technical flaws especially Asian batsmen. You can count the flawless Asian batsmen with one finger. It's about overcoming your technical shortcomings and scoring runs which is what Zunaed is doing now. He is leaving the ball excellently whereas a year ago he had no clue what to do with a ball coming up to him. And unless NCL has all of a sudden transformed into county cricket the credit for that must go to Siddons.
Old May 29, 2010, 11:26 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murad
Big Z was a loser?

I called him a loser because that's what's a lot people around the forum has been calling him and Imrul. But you do agree that JS has turned him into a better batsman right? I didn't say he is a perfect batsman, I hated it at the beginning that we had him bat at number 3 because I never think he'd make it. and at first it wasn't working out at all. But lately its starting to look a lot better. That's what i was referring to.
Old May 29, 2010, 12:38 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: TIK47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangladesh_sy
I called him a loser because that's what's a lot people around the forum has been calling him and Imrul. But you do agree that JS has turned him into a better batsman right? I didn't say he is a perfect batsman, I hated it at the beginning that we had him bat at number 3 because I never think he'd make it. and at first it wasn't working out at all. But lately its starting to look a lot better. That's what i was referring to.
No doubt about it JS has improved our batsmens. If JI can say long enough in the test team he will also improve

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)