facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 1, 2010, 11:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones
Default The need of lefties!!

As you guys have seen, so far our lefties have been delivering the goods for our national team; whether it’s batting or bowling. In the recently concluded test our lefties, who are also coincidentally our top order, scored bulk of the runs.

We all know Tamim is exceptionally talented and enjoying rich vain form atm. But credit must be given to both Imrul and Zunaid for fighting it out in the middle. Zunaid has his height advantage in facing his weakness against short balls but poor Imrul is neither as talented as Tamim and nor he’s as tall as Zunaid, but he’s truly grinding it out in the middle, so kudos to him. I know the fact that they were all batting in good batting condition helped their cause but that doesn’t take away the advantage they had over facing the right handed Eng bowlers. So if I was the BD coach, I’d look for lefty batsmen and grrom them for national team because most of world’s best bowlers are right handed. But the issue is I can’t think of any who are even in the pic to push for the national team; do you guys know of any?

Btw – don’t even mention SN. He can’t even handle swing and movement in BD condition, he’s not needed unless he can prove us wrong by playing really well in domestic circuit.

Old June 1, 2010, 12:00 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

I have long advocated for the need of more lefties from BD in modern game. They do have an edge in advantage. I am pleased that more and more lefties are emerging in BD. Our top three are lefty now , and along with Sakib, we have four in top six. That is plenty, anymore, and our advantage will become a disadvantage. It will allow the bowlers to settle in their rhythm without too many left-right combination. BD pacers also struggle against lefty batsmen. As you have pointed out, most bowlers are right handed, and the angle of delivery allows a lefty like Tamim to play more fluently outside off. It is a necessity, and no longer a need for lefties in modern game, and I am glad we have at least some promising players in that regard.
Old June 1, 2010, 12:07 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Most fierce of all openers in modern times are lefties. That is no coincidence. In any match, a lot depends on the start, especially in limited overs action. Here are some examples of openers ( and a few top order )of modern games : Glichrist, Hayden, Trecothink, Ganguly, Jayasuriya, Tamim, Gayle, Graeme Smith, Saeed Anwar, Lara....
Old June 1, 2010, 12:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
I have long advocated for the need of more lefties from BD in modern game. They do have an edge in advantage. I am pleased that more and more lefties are emerging in BD. Our top three are lefty now , and along with Sakib, we have four in top six. That is plenty, anymore, and our advantage will become a disadvantage. It will allow the bowlers to settle in their rhythm without too many left-right combination. BD pacers also struggle against lefty batsmen. As you have pointed out, most bowlers are right handed, and the angle of delivery allows a lefty like Tamim to play more fluently outside off. It is a necessity, and no longer a need for lefties in modern game, and I am glad we have at least some promising players in that regard.
Are you saying that the success of lefty batsmen was more due the combination of the left and right than just the advantage they had over the right handed bowler? I know, as a fast bowler myself though I love bowling at the lefties, it definitely throws your line off but I am going to play devil's advocate here, why did Eng bowling look so ordinary while bowling at our top 3 who are all lefties. Don't you think they shoul've been able to settle in a good line and give them trouble?

And I'd rather have a lefty in the team who's half as talented as Ash replacing Ash because he'd have had to face half as many good balls from a right hander and will have twice the chance of scoring runs against most right handed bowlers.
Old June 1, 2010, 12:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

There are not many bowlers in the world atm who can dominate lefties with exception of Bollinger, Swann, Steyn, Morkel. So being a left handed batsman is very good advantage. And also it is very positive for our batsmen that they didnt give away a single wicket to Swann who is currently one of the deadliest bowler for left handers.
Old June 1, 2010, 12:28 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Most fierce of all openers in modern times are lefties. That is no coincidence. In any match, a lot depends on the start, especially in limited overs action. Here are some examples of openers ( and a few top order )of modern games : Glichrist, Hayden, Trecothink, Ganguly, Jayasuriya, Tamim, Gayle, Graeme Smith, Saeed Anwar, Lara....
What about Afridi, McCullum, Dilshan, Sachin, Sehwag, Dhoni, Watson, White?

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old June 1, 2010, 12:53 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

We have enough lefty batsmen in the team. Our top four batsmen are lefty.
We have a world class left arm spinner.
We have a decent left hand pacer for ODI. We need one for Test as well as.

We need a genuine quality strike bowler. He can be a off spinner or a leg spinner.
Old June 1, 2010, 12:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

This advocacy of left hand superiority is racist
Old June 1, 2010, 12:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
What about Afridi, McCullum, Dilshan, Sachin, Sehwag, Dhoni, Watson, White?
not all of these players are openers.
Old June 1, 2010, 01:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
This advocacy of left hand superiority is racist
You mean discriminatory? Well if one definitely has advantage over the other when it comes to exploit certain style of cricket than why not.
Old June 1, 2010, 01:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaar
You mean discriminatory? Well if one definitely has advantage over the other when it comes to exploit certain style of cricket than why not.
The Bradman was Right-handed

Right arm bowlers are faster than left

Right > Left

Down with communism!!!!!

/Thread
Old June 2, 2010, 12:44 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

tamim
imrul
junaid (wk)
shahriar nafees
shakib al hasan
faisal decans
mominul haque
suhrawardi shuvo
mosharraf hossain rubel
syed rasel
sajidul islam

reserves: emon ahmed, saqlain sajib, mehrab junior, kazi kamrul, shaker ahmed

there u go a squad of lefties
Old June 2, 2010, 12:51 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Shakib, SN, Tamim

Quote:
How could you forget David Warner?
Old June 2, 2010, 12:52 AM
Banned

The faster bowlers in the world, like Shaun tait, Shoaib Akhtar and Brett Lee were righties
Old June 2, 2010, 12:57 AM
Banned

What we dont have is left handed pace man, only one, Rassi who is detested by JS because he is too old.
Also, nowadays, right handed batsman dominate more than lefties: Sachin, Sehwag, Ponting, De Villiers, Kohli, .....

Also, right handed batsman are more solid than lefties and you see that its the righties who can stay in the crease more than lefties, except Lara, Gambhir and Hussey.

Also, Tamim bats as a lefty, but fields and bowls with his left hand. The same goes to Raina
Old June 2, 2010, 01:05 AM
Banned

Big Hitters of modern game are mainly right handed: David Hussey, Watson, White, Brad Hogg, Aftab(Can hit big, not like Baikka Naeem), Nazimuddin(Can), Pietersen, Collingwood, Kieswetter, Hershele Gibbs, De Villiers, Dhoni, Sehwag, Afridi, Dilshan, Mathews, Ashraful , Imran Nazir, Yusuf Pathan, Dwayne Bravo, Kieron Pollard(Not a cricketer), Umar Ak, Kamran Ak, Shoaib Malik, So called Big hitter Baikka Naeem, Jesse Ryder, Brendan McCullum, Ross Taylor, Mone Morkel, Elton Chigumbura, Charles Coventry, Sarwan(Not too sure), what do you think about that
Old June 2, 2010, 01:21 AM
Cricket Savant

generally i am not a lefty.

but after watching aamir sohail in 1992 WC, i used to be a SLA and LH batsmen. i could actually bowl spin with both hands. one two years later i realized i can play shots with a bit more power in RH so i was RH batsmen but SLA. though left or right hand i am a crap batsman. i have good technique or defence but when try to play shots i struggle. and specially against pace.

in 1995 one of my friends who used to be a good pace bowler asked me to try pace bowling. then i started to bowl RH pace and then continued as a RH pacer in school, college and university. i had my best days at school but could not get into nirman team as my batting was poor. our school actually had 11 batsmen as all other bowlers were good batsmen. when i did not get in nirman team i stopped playing cricket. it was 1998. in 2000 in college(NDC) i again started playing. i could not get my school days pace back, as i bulked up and could not running as quick i used to run in runup. then i became more of a line length bowler and was selected for the final thirty of college squad could not make the final 15 which i did not expect.

in university (BUET) i never played serious cricket in big field. i rather played tape tennis cafe cricket which was more fun. even then i was mainly RH pacer, but i very often switched to SLA, off break or LH pacer for fun. though i could bowl all of them effectively.

my batting still was crap, LH or RH
Old June 2, 2010, 01:24 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK420
Big Hitters of modern game are mainly right handed: David Hussey, Watson, White, Brad Hogg, Aftab(Can hit big, not like Baikka Naeem), Nazimuddin(Can), Pietersen, Collingwood, Kieswetter, Hershele Gibbs, De Villiers, Dhoni, Sehwag, Afridi, Dilshan, Mathews, Ashraful , Imran Nazir, Yusuf Pathan, Dwayne Bravo, Kieron Pollard(Not a cricketer), Umar Ak, Kamran Ak, Shoaib Malik, So called Big hitter Baikka Naeem, Jesse Ryder, Brendan McCullum, Ross Taylor, Mone Morkel, Elton Chigumbura, Charles Coventry, Sarwan(Not too sure), what do you think about that
ryder is LH
monnu mokkel is also leftie. both mokkel brothers (abul an monnu)bowl RH but bat LH
Old June 2, 2010, 01:32 AM
Banned

I forgot that, thanx OS bhai, soon there will be the addition of Middle Stump
Old June 2, 2010, 01:32 AM
Cricket Savant

If it was the middle ages, you guys would be burnt at stake for discussing such sinister thoughts.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old June 2, 2010, 01:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by offstump
ryder is LH
monnu mokkel is also leftie. both mokkel brothers (abul an monnu)bowl RH but bat LH
mokkel , monnu

So the other bro is albu
Old June 2, 2010, 02:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

Quote:
What we dont have is left handed pace man, only one, Rassi who is detested by JS because he is too old.
Also, nowadays, right handed batsman dominate more than lefties: Sachin, Sehwag, Ponting, De Villiers, Kohli, .....

Also, right handed batsman are more solid than lefties and you see that its the righties who can stay in the crease more than lefties, except Lara, Gambhir and Hussey.

Also, Tamim bats as a lefty, but fields and bowls with his left hand. The same goes to Raina
are u serious?
Old June 2, 2010, 02:24 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
mokkel , monnu

So the other bro is albu
no.

its abul mokkel and monnu mokkel.

the names were given in a SA vs BD series two years ago