facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 11, 2016, 02:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Default Comparing base salaries of cricketers from the 10 ICC Full Members

ICC Full Member Country

Annual Salary in given source. Converted
to annual figure where monthly income was quoted.

In USD ($)

Type of Contract. And other points
worth mentioning.

Source

Australia

AUD 900,000

$ 692,942

Central contract
system.
But Captain gets
bonus: AUD $1.12 million (USD $862,052)

http://www.totalsportek.com/cricket/australian-player-salaries/

Bangladesh

BDT 24,00,000­­­

$ 30,492

Category A +

http://sportsmaza.com/cricket/bangladesh-national-team-cricketers-salary/

England

$1,100,000

$1,100,000

Central contract
System. But captain gets a bonus. (undisclosed)

http://sportsmaza.com/cricket/england-cricketers-salary/

India

$ 190,000

$190,000

Grade A

http://www.totalsportek.com/cricket/indian-player-salaries-central-contracts-2015/

New Zealand

$ 181,425

$181,425

Everyone has
individually negotiated contracts. Highest earner, Brendon McCullum earns $181,425.
The rest of the top players are close to this figure.

http://www.asportsnews.com/players-networth/new-zealand-cricketers-salaries-2016-match-fee-bonus-central-contracts/

Pakistan

PKR 60,00,000

$ 57,342

Category A

http://www.totalsportek.com/cricket/pakistan-player-salaries/

South Africa

$155,892

$155,892

Everyone has
individually negotiated contracts. Highest earner Ab DeVilliers earns $155,892.
The rest of the top players are close to this figure.

http://www.asportsnews.com/players-networth/south-africa-cricketers-salary-2016/

Sri Lanka

$ 125,000

$125,000

Category 1

http://www.totalsportek.com/cricket/sri-lanka-player-salaries/

West Indies

$ 140,000

$140,000

“The 12 WICB-contracted players
are split into three categories earning between US $100,000 and $140,000.”

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-west-indies-2015-16/content/story/957013.html

Zimbabwe

$16,572

$16,572

Everyone has
individually negotiated contracts. Highest earner, Elton Chigumbura earns
$16,572. The rest of the top players are close to this figure.

http://www.asportsnews.com/players-networth/zimbabwe-cricketers-salaries-2016-match-fee-bonus-central-contracts/

Old November 11, 2016, 02:04 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

SL players get these much??..now I know why SL cant pay its players or organize SLPL anymore!
Old November 11, 2016, 02:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Tried one of those free HTML generator sites. But didn't carry the colors or borders I had on the original copy, and also leaves this space empty at the top.
Old November 11, 2016, 02:24 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Zim players get more. 50k USD. Its worth less than BD salaries, but the actual dollar amount is high.

Taylor used to get 100k plus.

BD players are the lowest paid.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old November 11, 2016, 03:48 AM
ODI Cricketer

We should consider cricketers salary in relation to per-capita-income (PCI) of a country in order to get better perspective about it.

imageupload

Ideally, I reckon, top cricketers should earn 11 to 15 times of PCI of a country. Australia, Pakistan, South Africa & Sri Lanka are hitting the right note in this regard. Top cricketers from Bangladesh, West Indies and Zimbabwe do not earn as much as they should have got whereas English and Indian top cricketers earn disproportionately more.
Old November 11, 2016, 03:54 AM
Cricket Guru

Damn, didn't think the base salary for Indian players was only 190k (yeh I know they make millions in IPL, sponsorship, commercials etc).

Also didn't think England's base was more than a million
Old November 11, 2016, 04:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket4All
We should consider cricketers salary in relation to per-capita-income (PCI) of a country in order to get better perspective about it.

imageupload

Ideally, I reckon, top cricketers should earn 11 to 15 times of PCI of a country. Australia, Pakistan, South Africa & Sri Lanka are hitting the right note in this regard. Top cricketers from Bangladesh, West Indies and Zimbabwe do not earn as much as they should have got whereas English and Indian top cricketers earn disproportionately more.
This is great stuff. Very interesting to see how three nations (Pk,SA,and SL) coverge around the same ratio of salary to PCI, i.e., 11. Which might be a clue to what the right ratio should be. I can argue, that along with Eng and Ind, Aus is also pretty generous. 11 to 14 is a high jump.

Bd, WI, and Zim are at 8. And we do hear complaints from Zim and WI players all the time about how they deserve more. We never hear any such complaints from the Bd players though.

And what about NZ? The have the lowest ratio, 5. I think they have a real case to ask for higher salary, provided the NZ cricket board rakes up enough revenue. Thought what they already get seems decent enough, but is it really fair when their closest neighbors have a greater PCI, AND ON TOP OF THAT have a ratio of pay to PCI of 14, to their 5?
Old November 11, 2016, 05:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Bangladesh cricketers earn more from DPL and BPL hence they don't complain. Great income from.sponsors too.
Old November 11, 2016, 05:38 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

What about match fees?

Indian players gets 20,000 usd PER TEST!!! thats insane
Old November 11, 2016, 06:55 AM
Club Cricketer

Also worth people noting how many players get the base salary listed. For example 4 Indian players and 12 English players get the salaries listed in the above table for their respective teams.
Old November 11, 2016, 07:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

I wonder how Shakib has earned more than 300 crores of taka and is one of the richest cricketer with such mediocre salaries. Pathetic by the board, but I think it will go up once we win a world cup or a champions trophy.
Old November 11, 2016, 07:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Wonder if Shakib has really earned 50 million he would have a sports car, luxury home or something
Old November 11, 2016, 07:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

You mean if his net worth is that much? Google is your best friend bro... he earns roughly 13 million per year... he has about 7 to 8 years still left in him... you do the maths... he can become one of the richest if he keeps performing... bangladeshi brands pay quite handsomely it seems
Old November 11, 2016, 08:34 AM
Banned

Good thread. And good point about expressing salary in multiples of per Capita. Although its not an apples to apples comparsion, even after that adjustment.

In Asian countries - a players base salary is only a fraction of his overall income that he gets as a result of being a national player - endorsements etc. There's even profit-sharing that some of the boards do.

And I don't think you can adjudicate "fairness" in terms of per capita multiples. A country's elite sportsmen in games that are highly popular are always going to get enormous compensation - that's just a function of the value they add to their sport. Nothing wrong with it.

The larger issue is the disparity between the countries and the unprecedented opportunity that players have gotten with T20 league cricket. The challenge for the boards that can't offer "bigly" $$$ as base retainers, is to work out a schedule with their talent that allows them to earn supplementary income in foreign leagues without completely screwing up the national teams' and domestic cricket's interest. I think the Kiwi board as always is at the forefront in managing these implementation issues. Lots to learn from them.
Old November 11, 2016, 09:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndYeah
Good thread. And good point about expressing salary in multiples of per Capita. Although its not an apples to apples comparsion, even after that adjustment.

In Asian countries - a players base salary is only a fraction of his overall income that he gets as a result of being a national player - endorsements etc. There's even profit-sharing that some of the boards do.

And I don't think you can adjudicate "fairness" in terms of per capita multiples. A country's elite sportsmen in games that are highly popular are always going to get enormous compensation - that's just a function of the value they add to their sport. Nothing wrong with it.

The larger issue is the disparity between the countries and the unprecedented opportunity that players have gotten with T20 league cricket. The challenge for the boards that can't offer "bigly" $$$ as base retainers, is to work out a schedule with their talent that allows them to earn supplementary income in foreign leagues without completely screwing up the national teams' and domestic cricket's interest. I think the Kiwi board as always is at the forefront in managing these implementation issues. Lots to learn from them.
India and bangladesh also give majority of salary from match fees, I read few years back, not sure about Pakistan

Read few years back Sri Lankan players don't get paid much match fees

England players get over 300k after match fees.. Collingwood was getting 380 at one point

Old November 11, 2016, 10:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndYeah

I didn't make this thread to single out the generous countries. I believe a country's sportsmen should be the highest paid,ahead of popular musicians and actors, because it is the hardest skill to replace in an economy. Only the best rise to the national XI. But rather the fairness issue is regarding the countries with low CPI to base salary ratio. Especially for Bd. Because as you said, the players should be compensated generously in countries where the sport is popular. Well, cricket in Bd now is almost as popular as it is India. In any case, I would like to know the total revenue generated by each board, then I could find out the percentage allocated to base salaries from that revenue.
Old November 11, 2016, 10:52 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
I would like to know the total revenue generated by each board, then I could find out the percentage allocated to base salaries from that revenue.
I don't know how much each board generates as total revenue (which includes revenue share from ICC, TV rights, sponsorship, gate receipt, T20 league, participation fee for ICC tournaments etc), but I can give you details about how much they are expected to get over the period of next eight years (2016 to 2023) as full member board from ICC after restructuring of revenue sharing model known as "the Big Three Formula".

picture upload sites
Old November 11, 2016, 01:27 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadim
What about match fees?

Indian players gets 20,000 usd PER TEST!!! thats insane
I make less than that a year!!!