facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 1, 2016, 04:25 AM
Banned

Default We Need Fighters not Winners

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanvir_nus
Well, that is exactly why I created Mahmudullah for the next captain thread. Mahmudullah will be the Dhoni/Mccullum type leader. And that is the best type of leader for a team like Bangladeshi which needs to keep cool in pressure situations as everyone loses their shait when the pressure is on. It is the Bengali nature to lose calm very quickly, Mahmudullah like Dhoni will instill a lot of belief when we need 10 runs off the last over or we need to defend 7 runs. He will make the whole team believe.

Do you see the similarities in those names? They are all aggressive. Here is the flip side and do you see a similarity in them as well?

Soumya, SN, Ashraful, Anamul, Abul? All of them are timid and shy. If you are timid and not aggressive you will accept losing and start fading. The ones who don't take sh*** are the ones that will back themselves and defeat the opponents, always has been like that in sports. If you can't dominate you will be dominated, and unfortunately cricket is a sport of mental battle as much as a physical battle.
That quote inspired me to create this thread, probably one of the best posts i have ever seen in my days of lurking in this forum. This has simply inspired me to create this thread, Bangladesh cricket needs fighters not winners, players who won`t give up even if 1 run is required off 10 balls, they won`t turn their backs, Bowlers that will not falter even if they defend 300 runs. We need players that spend every sweat, grit, determination and courage on playing cricket, achieving results for their nation even if the odds are unfathomable, even if they are not doing well, players that give it they`re all no matter the situation, players that fall and have the integrity to rise again, so now you may ask me, why players with fight are needed, rather than so called winners.

Lets start by defining what a fighter is. In my terms, it is a individual who does not give up no matter the adversity they face, people who still give it there 110% even if there is minimal chance of winning, is it them who are ultimately successful, because one day they will achieve their goal. A wise man Robert Green once stated
Quote:
The greatest Test of courage on this earth, is to bear defeat without losing heart
, now ask yourself do we have this kind of mentality in our players, Yes and No. In only a handful of players. Tamim Iqbal for example, the entire 2014, was a extremely dismal year for him not only this the Lotus Kamal Incident didn`t do any justice either, the heat was on, people questioned whether he should of been dropped. But did Tamim Give UP? NO. He kept on going, he knew no matter how hard you try you will always win, one way or another, did he give up when Scotland scored 319 against us, did he give up when Zimbabwe scored 310, Did he give up when Pakistan scored a competitive 270. We need more players like him, who are able to put up their hand even when odds are stacked against them, take another prime example, Mashrafe Mortaza, the hero who will go down in the record books, after 7 knee injuries he is still playing in the national squad, whereas the likes of M.Ash have faded away, he strived for his goals, he fought his way up and was ultimately able to gain keen eyes of the selectors, DID HE GIVE UP WHEN WE SCORED 239,against England, a sure fire match we were going to lose,NO he fought, and eventually we won because of him, there are prime examples of fighters in the BD Squad, Rubel Hossain, another one 4 Runs to defend in one over, sealing the Banglawash of NZ, he uprooted the stumps and led his nation to victory. We need players who are able to fall but rise again, with spectacular fashion. We need players who do not feed of off others success, did Imrul fail when England scored 310, Did Rubel give up when the match against England looked lost. the answer is NO, Did sabbir give up when we were 2-2 Against Sri-Lanka, did Mehedi give up when England were 100-0. We need player`s who fight, not ones who are happy with achieving a couple of hundreds and scoring miserly 10s and 20s, we need guys that are hungry and passionate, and don`t think of ways to secure their postions.

Winners, the list goes on, on the one hit wonders of BD, the guys that have had glimpses of world classedness and then simply faded away due to lack of commitment and fight, lets begin by this famous quote

Quote:
What winning is to me is not giving up, is no matter what's thrown at me, I can take it. And I can keep going:Patrick Swayzer
If you play a good knock, for one match, you will be remembered for 1-2 days max, however if you are the player who never gave up no matter the odds you will go down in the books as a legend, Players like M.A, S.S, Anamul Haq, Nurul Hasan, Liton Das Abul Hasan and all those others who have scored a once in a blue moon hundred or bowled a good spell once or twice in their careers, and have simply disappeared,or a have played to secure a position, these players looked good, they won hearts with their performances but were not consistent,they could`nt deal with adversity, in my eyes no matter if you score 239, you need that fighting attitude, thats the attitude that wins you world cups, you can`t just unzip your pants when you have been hit for 6 sixes, look at Stuart broad, his career was almost over, after the flight of Yuvraj, but he still soldiered on gave it his best, and was able to return with determination, the will to succeed. If you play to secure your position or play for yourself, you are SIMPLY A TRAITOR TO OUR CRICKET, you are selfish and are an abhorrent turd,I rather a player who goes down fighting then one who scores a 50 off 90 balls to make himself look good then, I won`t be afraid to spit on you in the street, players like them are mentally weak, and are not international quality, perform once in a blue moon, and think they`re secured for the season, they are not hungry, they need to control their own fate, captain their own boat. Ambition is the key.

Hope, i got my idea across.

Fighters:
Tamim
Shakib
Mushfiq(partially)
Mashrafe
Mahmudullah
Rubel Hossain
Fizz
Nasir Hossain

indeterminate
Taskin
Mehedi Maruf
Mosaddek Hossain

Winners
Anamul Haq
ashraful
Shadadat Hossain
Sohan
Many More in the Domestic system

Old December 1, 2016, 08:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Winners is not a good term for what you are trying to say
Old December 1, 2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
We Need Fighters not Winners
I will take the winners any day! That's what Haturu presents ->
Old December 1, 2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG

Hope, i got my idea across.

Winners
Anamul Haq
ashraful
Shadadat Hossain
Sohan
Many More in the Domestic system
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger1000
Winners is not a good term for what you are trying to say
I am really confused here! Please enlighten me how the above players are winners
Old December 1, 2016, 01:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

What a confusing thread. Fighters are winners, winners are fighters.

Losers are those who give up, who don't play for the team

Shahadat Hossain is a winner? Nurul didn't even play much for BD. Anamul sometimes singlehandedly got us to good positions in several matches with the bat in hand, ODIs or T20Is.
Old December 1, 2016, 01:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

Captain and vice need to be both, more so fighters. But, in whole you do need bit of mix fighters and winners. Definitely Mahmudullah has the attitude of both.

Last edited by Mas_UK25; December 1, 2016 at 06:25 PM..
Old December 1, 2016, 01:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Are you trying to say Whiners?
Old December 1, 2016, 05:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

Well I am glad DKG that you got inspired by my quote. I try to speak from my heart, and having followed Bangladeshi cricket team for decades, I have gained that sixth sense about the team. I know when they are about to destroy and also about to be destroyed. I am glad you picked the most important point in that quote, the ones that are timid and shy will not survive or be greats in international cricket anymore. That's why we are seeing stars fade away.

On one hand you have players like:
Tamim, Shabbir, Shakib, Mashrafe, Mushfique

On the other hand you have players like
Soumya, Anamul, Abul, Zia, Junayed Siddiue well list goes on...

The first group have been known in Bangladesh as rude, arrogant and aggressive bunch. But you knwo what, if I was the captain, that's the quality I will like to have in my team. Because I know at the end of the day these are the players that are going to fight for me and look the opposition in the eye and think I am better than you. The team that has more players of this category is going to dominate World Cricket and that is where we want to end up and go towards. You can still keep the timid bunch, if you don't want to win world cups.

Ranatunga lead his team off the cricket pitch and that inspired a world cup win. Imran Khan chose his own team for the 92 world cup and basically said if you don't let me take Inzamam I won't play. Steve Waugh sledged every player he faced and was known as a bad boy. Look at every bloody captain that has made a difference. Ponting was one of the worst behaved players and there is no curse he didn't shower on his opponents.

There is a reason why players who try to dominate with the ball and the bat keep winning, and there is a reason why players fail. If you can't bring out that competitive spirit in you, you are going to fail in this game, and when a team fails to do that they fail to win the game. Fact also is, you can't have weaklings in the game so any teammate that does not share that passion and attitude will decrease the strength of the team in general and that is what we saw in the England series where even one player's inclusion brought down the quality of the team and will forever be the series where the selection blunders caused a series loss at home when it should have been our win.

I can go on and on, but everyone including here gets angry about Tamim swearing at umpires and saying how much we would like to ban him, should remember these are the type of players that are going to win us world cups. You want that in your team's blood. The fact that Shakib shows his middle finger to the crowd and shows his crotch flips us off but know that Shakib is the number one alrounder in the world and on his way to be a potential great. Fact that Mashrafe swears at his players in the field makes us cringe but he is a proven winner, inspirational captain and has won us series after series. To me when I see an upcoming player I see their attitude in the game more than skills. That's why I knew Taskin was a god's gift to us even before he played BPL. That's how I knew Sabbir will be one of the best bats for Bangladesh, well if I specify each instances I would not be able to finish what I am trying to say here. I hope with time people all over the cricket fraternity realize this fact and identifies world class talent and even starts nurturing them in a way that brings out the best out of them and wins us an ICC tournament.
Old December 1, 2016, 11:13 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

^^wait Mashrafee is arrogant? Mushfiq is arrogant?? wait whaaaaat!

Mashrafee is aggressive Mushfiq is aggressive but I am not sure if they are arrogant.

Riyad is not arrogant but He can be very cunning, intelligent and aggressive when appropriate
Old December 4, 2016, 06:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
I am really confused here! Please enlighten me how the above players are winners
I don't know, that's why I said winners not right word

Old December 4, 2016, 06:24 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Thank you, great article, FP material but clarify
Old December 4, 2016, 06:46 AM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

i think i sort of get the point although its said in a very confusing manner.

looking at Tamim, Mushy, Shakib, Riyad, Kayes, none of these were very hyped or as talented as some other players. Remember Tamim? he was just a pinch hitter. Shakib barely bowled 4-5 overs of average sla at the start and batted nothing great. Mushy was also a very inconsistent player with made the team for years more due to the lack of options. Riyad we all know how much he delivered which was barely enough to stay in the 14 and Kayes... the less said the better. But these guys fought hard. No one wouldve thought Tamim Iqbal would someday go onto scoring a test double. No one thought Shakib Al Hasan would go onto become the best allrounder the world has ever seen. No one thought Mushfiqur would be such a fluent batsman or Riyad become one of the most dependable batsman in the country.... Imrul, well we didnt even think he could ever make a return to the squad. Look at him now... he is a permanent test opener and soon might takeover the ODI spot as well.

These are all fighters and fought extremely hard to work on their limitations and attributes to become what they are today. Thats what we need! we dont any over hyped under19 performer to come and fade. Look at Anamul, Liton, Roni, Soumya, Hom, Sohan and so on. All of these guys were so hyped up by the selectors, by the coaches, by the fans and look at the disappointment. Dont believe me? Let me go in reverse order.

When Sohan debuted, we were all for kicking Mushy out.. (some people still do). In a real world, Mushy is 4x times the batsman Sohan is.

When Soumya started blazing, a lot and i repeat a LOT of people said he is a way better and more talented then Tamim. Didnt realize that talent doesnt only mean playing some fancy lofted on drives or charging after some quicks... it means so much more. And clearly a guy with so little experience was never gonna come close to the hard working guy that has matured day by day since 2007.

When Liton came in, again...! same story! Anamul.... rumored to be the best batsman in the history of Bangladesh cricket... o boy! whatever happened to that.

i dont think winners is the right word to describe these players. These young guys despite getting much better opportunities and assistance... failed to justify their hype. These are losers in my book... (atleast for now)