facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 17, 2012, 05:21 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I will be glad if we get in to top 8. That is it.

Old June 21, 2012, 04:18 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

AF, you are quiet an optimist I would say.

I wouldn't yet expect to draw that many away test matches with G8
I wouldn't yet expect to win 50/60 % of our ODIs with G8

but I would expect to win more in T20s if the BPL continues. Players will compete hard in BPL ... Since that will give more scope of playing in money earning leagues....and also in absence of a competitive domestic league, BPL will get more importance for getting selected in the national side.
Old June 21, 2012, 08:50 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
And we are saying this 5 years thing for last 12 years... Is five any magic number...why always 5??

But yes, I think we have the right platform to make much more improvement in next 5 years than we did in last 5 years.
yeah we keep on going on about it don't we? but i think we would all agree that the current BD team is a lot better than the BD team of 5 years ago and also as you said has a much better platform now.
Old June 24, 2012, 07:25 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Viv - he made all scared

In 5 yrs team, all I want to see some great organiser and policy maker in BCB who can shape up our cricket infrastructure, come up with some good achievable goals and implementation of that. Our cricket has been running around in the same circle since we are in the game because there was never any long term vision for development. Tigers has climb up in couple of occasion but could not cement the new height. Obviously it was not backed up by other factors and supports
Old July 13, 2014, 10:12 AM
Cricket Legend

So 2 years on...

So what do you guys think about the progress in the past 2 years

the question was 2 years ago

In 5 years (2017) Where do you guys see us ranked in ODI's, Test's and T20. How do you think other nation are going to view us as a team.

Old July 13, 2014, 12:41 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger1000
So 2 years on...

In 5 years (2017) Where do you guys see us ranked in ODI's, Test's and T20. How do you think other nation are going to view us as a team.
Haha, in the past 2 yrs we've regressed. We have managed to draw 4 Tests against G8 teams, including one in SL where even top sides struggle. In 2012 we had 0 points or maybe 2 at most, we now have 21 but are still 10th. ZIM are still ahead of us.

By 2017, I will predict we win 6-0 in tests vs ZIM, and upset 1-2 wins against a G8 side. We will still be ranked 9th but will hopefully have narrowed then gap with WI and have 50-60 points.

I expect we'll get our ODI form back soon.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 13, 2014, 08:18 PM
Cricket Guru

it will be tough, NZ have become a much better side as of late and WI just had a decent series against them and quite possibly will improve with kraigg brathwaite returning well and i predict he will continue his good test form as in the couple of years before his return to the test side i believe he averaged 50 or so in A team cricket. lil bravo will slowly improve (he's already doing pretty well), blackwood is their new batting hope, we'll have to wait and see with him. but the bowling is where WI are really going to improve over the next couple of years if they pick the right players, if they keep going with roach and holder and bring in cummins and narine as regulars then they are going to have a quality bowling attack.

this should be WI's team:

1 gayle
2 brathwaite
3 lil bravo
4 blackwood/samuels/bravo
5 chanderpaul
6 blackwood/samuels/bravo
7 ramdin
8 holder
9 roach
10 cummins
11 narine

the top 3 are strong and shouldn't fail to many times, the middle order is held together by chanderpaul and 2 of the other 3 should be decent , then you have a quality bowling unit. when chanders retires it will be tough for them, if that happens anytime soon they will need to pick all 3 of big bravo, samuels and blackwood and hopefully one of the will step up.

as far as Bangladesh, well they still need to improve, the WI series will be tough without shakib, we need mominul to continue as he has been and mushy needs to step up into the ton scoring club more often and hopefully nasir and riyad and add some valuable runs. i don't see much hope of wins in tests without shakib though so the best i'd expect are draws which if the batting holds up will be possible.

i expect to overtake zim though because mushy and shakib are much more consistent test bats nowadays and mominul looks like he'll be a consistent one as well so that should hold the batting together for a good number of years which will obviously help in ranking points as it will help win and draw matches.
Old July 13, 2014, 08:22 PM
Cricket Guru

in ODIs if some key players get their form back soon (namely tamim and nasir) then the team will start to do quite well i suspect as we'll have anamul and tamim at the top both capable of scoring tons, mushy and shakib score consistently and nasir finishing it off makes for a very good batting total. with taskin being introduced the bowling looks better as well. mash, taskin and rubel should be a good pace attack and shakib and the other spinners can be good for holding the run rate with the occasional wicket. so with that in mind BD should come closer in ranking points to the other teams, might be tough to push ahead though.
Old July 13, 2014, 10:25 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

i will be 35
Old July 14, 2014, 12:54 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

well, every team in International Cricket (Except Australia from 1999-2008ish era, maybe i am wrong in this claim) had ups and downs. even in modern day cricket, about Every team is also having ups and down cycles. Bangladesh went through a similar trend since Asia Cup 2012. right now our down cycle has been surprisingly longer than usual. I expect a similar trend for the next 5 years. maybe we will hover around #7 at best(all formats).

Although, If we consistently play 8 tests per year, there is a lot of hope and potential to go up...but then again, who knows?
Old July 14, 2014, 09:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Haha, in the past 2 yrs we've regressed. We have managed to draw 4 Tests against G8 teams, including one in SL where even top sides struggle. In 2012 we had 0 points or maybe 2 at most, we now have 21 but are still 10th. ZIM are still ahead of us.

By 2017, I will predict we win 6-0 in tests vs ZIM, and upset 1-2 wins against a G8 side. We will still be ranked 9th but will hopefully have narrowed then gap with WI and have 50-60 points.

I expect we'll get our ODI form back soon.
I think its fair to say everyone overestimated the 'progress' over the last two years

Old July 14, 2014, 09:15 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

All of these expectations were bound to fall short for one simple reason: a talismanic player of Mohammad Nazimuddin's all-round caliber and noipunno never getting the extended run he deserves. No Nazza, No Improvement. It is written.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old July 14, 2014, 10:56 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
So 2 years on...

Not this decade but in the coming decades 2030ish, population and popularity will mean Bangladesh eventual and inevitable rise to a Cricketing Super power. Hopefully then Bangladesh remembers the start up help SL gave.
Old July 14, 2014, 11:39 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
if last five years are any indication then half these boys will not be in the team. June 6, 2012, 10:07 PM
Quote:
I will be glad if we get in to top 8. That is it. June 17, 2012, 05:21 PM
Told you so!!!
Simple logic. Everyone improves. Our gap is too much. If we don't improve at a higher rate we won't be able to catch them with in the five years.

Crawl, walk, jog, run, sprint. That is how it goes. With teen averages (most top orders) it is crawling mode. Twenties are walking. Now we are on joggin mode with 30 averages. We would be running with 40 averages soon. Once we get to the 50 averages we would be annoucning our arrival. Need few more like Mominul to step up. The final step is tied with the local cricket structure and autonomy to the regional boards. Without the decentralization of power and money the last stage cannot be achieved.
Old July 14, 2014, 11:41 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade
...Hopefully then Bangladesh remembers the start up help SL gave.
Unbelivable help from few boards like (not in order) WI, SA, NZ, SL, Zim and Aus. Thank you all.
Old July 14, 2014, 01:08 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Without the decentralization of power and money the last stage cannot be achieved.
It can and it will. It will just take longer to achieve. What should take us 1 year to achieve, we'll do in 3 or 4. But it can and will happen. India had how many 50 average batsman from 1930 to 1990? Only Sunny G that I can think of, yet they are a batting powerhouse. In the last 20 odd years they have produced at least half a dozen 50+ bats. Same could be said of all countries. My money is on Mominul to keep a 50+ average, chup chap kid, those are the most dangerous, quietly going about their business without complaining about "that was a 4 ball", "ZIM bowlers are ordinary", etc.

Pop quiz, which Bangladesh batsmen, if he were to get out for 10 consecutive ducks in his next 10 innings will still be averaging nearly 38 in Test cricket?

Answer is Mominul.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 14, 2014, 01:57 PM
Banned

Get realistic people, in 5 years time, heck even in 50 years time, we will still be at the bottom of the pile.
Nepal, Bhutan, Togo, Afghanistan, HongKong, Ireland, UAE will all go up in the rankings past us.
Old July 14, 2014, 04:21 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Quote:
Without the decentralization of power and money the last stage cannot be achieved.
It can and it will. It will just take longer to achieve. What should take us 1 year to achieve, we'll do in 3 or 4. But it can and will happen. India had how many 50 average batsman from 1930 to 1990? Only Sunny G that I can think of, yet they are a batting powerhouse. In the last 20 odd years they have produced at least half a dozen 50+ bats. Same could be said of all countries. My money is on Mominul to keep a 50+ average, chup chap kid, those are the most dangerous, quietly going about their business without complaining about "that was a 4 ball", "ZIM bowlers are ordinary", etc. .....
First I am not a betting man. Had I been one, you would have been taken to the cleaners already!! Lucky You.

Secondly, mine was a blanket statement. Tests and as well ODIs. Multiple top orders - not just one averaing 50 would make us sprint. The top 8 nations are sprinting already or almost sprinting (rebuilding mode).

You are proving me right with your own logic. Indian Cricket has been decentralized long long time back. Back then it even took more time to create players like that. On top of that, the pitches, formats, and rules have changed alot which aided them to produce more 50+ now.

The game has changed a lot in the last 20/30 years. Having 50+ players in a test teams are a norm for being elite nowadays. Before that it was only handful. Just like 30+ test centuries and you would be the best in your generation. Nowadays, that would only fetch you best in your country perhaps even.

By the way, I wish Mominul the best. Let him play few more tests in different continents and conditions. I would be estatic if he can keep his average 50+. And Mominul is NOT the one averaging highest for BD (tests). That record belongs to Abul and most likely will stay with him.
+++
I disagree on the the other bold as well. They all have sound setup of their domestic cricket and not centralized.
Old July 25, 2014, 09:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Told you so!!!
Simple logic. Everyone improves. Our gap is too much. If we don't improve at a higher rate we won't be able to catch them with in the five years.

Crawl, walk, jog, run, sprint. That is how it goes. With teen averages (most top orders) it is crawling mode. Twenties are walking. Now we are on joggin mode with 30 averages. We would be running with 40 averages soon. Once we get to the 50 averages we would be annoucning our arrival. Need few more like Mominul to step up. The final step is tied with the local cricket structure and autonomy to the regional boards. Without the decentralization of power and money the last stage cannot be achieved.
Yep, you were right then and now, but we have lots of room of improvements, the top 4/5 teams can only improve so much, I doubt we will ever produce a batsman averaging 50, not in the next 10 years atleast, but then again if you asked me 10 years ago, I could have never imagined a guy who can bat better than bashar but also ball better (maybe not, hard to compare) then rafique.

But with the current type of board, we will never progress, so decisions are idiotic, for example Shakib, whilst he deserved to be punished, this ban is ridiculous, no other country would do such a thing, but our countries mentality is the 'elder/superior' must show his superiority by any means necessary, other players should have also spoken out, there are no leaders in the team, bunch of yes men, who hide and crack under any sort of pressure.

Old November 29, 2016, 09:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Simple thread, Simple question

Where do you see Bangladesh Cricket team in 5 years - Realistically, not we're going to be top 3 in the world - lets get realistic that's not going to happen.

Where do you guys see us ranked in ODI's, Test's and T20. How do you think other nation are going to view us as a team.

Personally I feel that we can get to a stage in Test cricket where we are viewed the same way we are viewed in ODI's now, In ODI's and T20's I think we can become a top 6/5 team when playing at home but still struggle away

Might be a bit Negative - Just trying to accurate in my Prediction - ofcourse if they did manage to be better than that, I would be delighted to be wrong.
Damn this is like 8 months away...

Why can't I edit Thread Title, so i can update it...