facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 15, 2008, 03:18 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default NZ Test series grades

better late than never...

Tamim Iqbal (152 runs @ 50.66)
His consistency in both the ODI and Test series was mind-boggling. Not a single big score, but his regularity was just as impressive. His technique and temperement seemed to have skyrocket as well. More improvements need to be made, but he was our lone shining star for the tour.
Grade: A+

Junaed Siddique (90 runs @ 22.50)
One good score in that big partnership with TI, yet Big Z did not look to comfy to me. But he appears to have that temperement that so few BD batsmen possess. I expect big things from the big man, starting with the proteas in a few weeks time.
Grade: C+

Habibul Bashar (60 runs @ 15.00)

Yes he scored 3000 runs and for that he should be saluted. Thank you Sumon bhai! However, the fact remains that HaBa, as he is often known around these parts nowadays, was lucky to score the runs he did. Perhaps half of his runs came off of dangerous edges over the slip cordon. The time has come.

Grade: D-

Mohammad Ashraful (59 runs @ 14.75)
He got two bad calls from four innings, and thats enough to ruin anyone's stats. Especially considering he would have scored a big one in the 2nd Test. However, he is not going to get a good grade, not by his standards at least.
Grade: C

Shahriar Nafees (62 runs @ 15.50)
True, he didn't score heavily, but at the point that he came into the game, the match was already barely an hour old and already lost. So who can blame him for cavalier batting performances?

Aftab Ahmed (30 runs @ 10.00)
This boy seriously needs to work on his mental approach in both forms of the game. He is too talented to drop, and I have full faith that he will improve. Maybe not to become a game breaker, but if he can eventually average 40 with the bat a la Ganguly, I'll be more than pleased.

Sakib al Hasan (46 runs @ 46.00)
If ever there was an average that belies the truth, this is it. Looked totally out of sorts all series, except for the final innings (according to CricInfo). Lets hope that was the beggining of solidity from Sakib.
Grade: C-

Mushfiqur Rahim (21 runs @ 5.25)
I'd still take him over Pilot who would retire in a year or so anyway. Let Siddons work on a keeper with obvious batting skills. And his keeping always shows promise no matter how many times he might screw up.
Grade: F

Mashrafee bin Mortaza (53 runs @ 13.25)
In light of the other batsmen, those numbers look fine. However, most BC members who have actually seen him bat are agreed that he is a far cry from the fellow who scored 79 and 70 against India last summer to say nothing of the guy who smashed 4 consecutive 6s in an over.

Mashrafee bin Mortaza (7 wickets @ 26.85)
Those numbers are fine, in fact they're world class. And we haven't even started talking about lack of pressure created by our batting totals. Factor that in, and the dropped catches off his bowling, and you're looking at a guy who bowled well enough to average in the teens. Phenomenal.
Grade: A

Shahadat Hossain (5 wickets @ 36.80)
Again, Rajib bowled better than those stats suggest. In the 2nd Test, he was far more brutal than Masri, and thus overall, he was just as good as him except for his slightly high econ. To his credit, was the most economical bowler in the 2nd Test.
Grade: A-

Sajidul Islam (3 wickets @ 58.33)
I'll actually call this a good debut, not spectacular but good. Even factoring in the hammering he took towards the end, his average looks no worse than Tapash Baisya's who not so long ago was our 2nd pace option. If he improves his accuracy, he will be a fantasic, if unassuming, opening partner for Mash.

Enamul Haque Jr (0 wickets)
He bowled OK. Pitch offered no assistance, I expect him to factor heavily in the series against South Africa. With only Graeme Smith's arm to worry about, I hope the curators are working on a dust bowl for Enam and Sakib.

Sakib al Hasan (2 wickets @ 22)
He is a surpisingly economical bowler in Tests for some reason conceding just 2.31 an over this series and only 2.86 overall in his career. He did what you can expect of a non-frontline bowler (he's more than a part timer, but not a full timer).
Grade: B

Aftab Ahmed (2 wickets @ 15.50)
Boy was he tight, but it was more a matter of the batsmen not trying to gift him a wicket, although thats exactly what Vettori did. All in all, he did more than can be expected of a part timer.

#OneTeam1Dream

Old January 15, 2008, 03:22 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram

very generous grading system

Last edited by sandpiper; January 15, 2008 at 03:29 PM..
Old January 15, 2008, 05:08 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Asaad works for diploma mill University. That is official. I can not justify this generous grading system otherwise.

Tamim Iqbal (152 runs @ 50.66) ...
Grade: A+
Mine A. two fifties in three innings. There are still room for improvement.

Junaed Siddique (90 runs @ 22.50)...
Mine B-. Considering his debut and openning. There are lot of room for improvement.

Habibul Bashar (60 runs @ 15.00)
Mine D.

Mohammad Ashraful (59 runs @ 14.75)
Mine F. 14.75???

Shahriar Nafees (62 runs @ 15.50)
Mine F. 15.50???

Aftab Ahmed (30 runs @ 10.00)
Mine F. 10???? What is going on here???

Sakib al Hasan (46 runs @ 46.00)
Grade: C-
Mine C. Limited chance. Still angry from the ODI performance.

Mushfiqur Rahim (21 runs @ 5.25)
Grade: F
Mine FFF for batting, B- for Keeping. Some excellent catches he took.

Mashrafee bin Mortaza (53 runs @ 13.25)
Mine F. There was a reason for JS to demote him from #8 to #11. He is the vice captain for crying out loud.

Mashrafee bin Mortaza (7 wickets @ 26.85)
Mine B-.

Shahadat Hossain (5 wickets @ 36.80)
Grade: A-
Mine C. He should have utilized his height and skills better in these bowling paradises.

Sajidul Islam (3 wickets @ 58.33)
Mine C+. In my book he did better than Sajidul. Picked up vital wickets at crucial times.

Enamul Haque Jr (0 wickets)
Mine D- no wickets.

Sakib al Hasan (2 wickets @ 22)
Grade: B
Mine C+.

Aftab Ahmed (2 wickets @ 15.50)
Mine C. The wickets he got was faltu tailenders.
Old January 15, 2008, 05:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

When they didn't even show up for the exams...why grade them?

Its a mass-fail!!!
Old January 15, 2008, 05:19 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Good grades viewed over the players... but why is Bashar D-, I thought he and Mushfiq were equal on thier performance?
Old January 15, 2008, 06:06 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

i never seem to agree with al Furqaan's gradings. I tried... but it just never happens. Mijan bhai's report card convinces me more. Although I'd upgrade Mashrafee the bowler and Sakib the bowler, atleast by a half a class. But everything else was pretty accurate for my liking.

After a couple of dismal series, Mashrafee gave it his best and it showed through the efforts. Only if the chances he generated were hung onto! He definitely gets an A in my book. Sakib kept it tight over certain long spells, while the rest of the bowling cast, including Mashrafee, were being taken apart, especially the middle and lower-middle order the Kiwis.
Old January 15, 2008, 06:09 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

সবাই ফেল
Old January 15, 2008, 06:27 PM
Cricket Sage

mijan bhai, mortaza and rajib both bowled better than a C and B-.

they had no support from the batsmen, and then had catches dropped off their bowling!! no way rajib got a C, a B maybe, a B+ was more likely.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 15, 2008, 06:33 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Batting

Tamim: A
Junaed: B-
Bashar: F
Ashraful: D
Shahriar Nafees: D
Aftab: F
Rahim: F
Sakib: C-
Mashrafee: F

Tamim doesn't get A+ for not converting one of his 50s into 100.

Bowling

Mashrafee: A
Shahadat: A-
Sajid: B
Enamul: D
Sakib: A
Aftab: A

Sakib and Aftab gets 'A' because they did the best what we could expect from them.
Old January 15, 2008, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

I like Spitty's rankings. Perfect, IMO.
Old January 15, 2008, 07:22 PM
Banned

I agree with Spitty's batting ratings, right on target. As for bowling I'd give:
Mashrafe- A
Shahadat- B+
Sajid- C
Enamul- D
Shakib- A-
Aftab- A(Gotta give him that. Was economical and took Vettori's wicket otherwise NZ would surely cross 400).
Old January 15, 2008, 07:45 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

for the next tour, i expect much better things...

1. on our home turf

2. this was an extremely difficult tour... someone has to agree, for some reason after Ashraful scored his blitzkrieg 50 in first ODI, he thought the tour was over and we thought we would do super awesome in this tour, unfortunately the past repeated with only a half smile( later good few individual performances, nothing else much...)

3. it was difficult since we had a streak of debutants... and most of the players except ashraful, Aftab need more exposure to master what is called "world class".

4. keep the same guys for this whole year, we will become a solid force pretty soon.

5. the next tour should be, to the surprise of many critics, much more fruitful for the bangladeshis, possibly Rahim and Shakib regaining form.

my grades for this whole tour everything included:

Tamim- anything less than A is biased.
Junaed- C (meh...has not impressed me yet...)
Bashar- F (BC members still bash him, because he hasn't done anything worthy of notice late(except reaching 3000) and he is blocking a quality player( Rajin should have been instead of him))
Ashraful- C+ (that blitzkrieg 70, and some unlucky outs... other than that this was a mediocre tour for him )
Aftab- C+ that ODI 50 and his test bowling somewhat overshadowes the fact that he had consecutive test ducks NOT GOOD FOR ANY BATSMEN!!!
Shahriar Nafees- C. i did not support his inclusion since he was called out of nowhere to do an impossible task on a foreign soil? bad selection, if he was to play tests, he should have been selected for ODI as well. i never supported the idea of sending players back and forth, it ruins their morale(they are humans too and they too have a brain)
Mushfiqur Rahim- Exactly what al furqaan said, horrible batting but better keeping.
Shahadat Hossain- A, anything less than B is unjustified, gave all his heart into the game and should have been better,

our whole fielding unit deserves a big fat F, aything higher is considered blasphamous.

Mortaza's wickets and bowling should give him good confidence, B-

Farhad Reza- C, needs more exposure...
as a unit, we should have done much better, i coin this as the worst tour ever since this tour promised so much and we are not in the past, we have better players but not better performances
Old January 15, 2008, 08:09 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

Spitty got it bang on
Old January 15, 2008, 10:28 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Sakib and Aftab gets 'A' because they did the best what we could expect from them.
i think this is what people are forgetting, a player doing best given his background. aftab is true got tail enders (but wait DV isn't a tail ender) but he bowled economically against top order bats too. if rajib or mash had bowled the way he did, they would have gotten Cs (or Ds actually for not even cracking 115 k).

sajid was on debut, and i gave him a C, but i also said that was a success for him.

i agree with all of spitty's bowling grades, my grades are very nearly identical. i disagree on batting grades. one wrong umpiring decision made the difference between ash scoring 35 and scoring 35++ (who knows, he might have cracked a 5th test ton). so its fair to give him a D when he could have earned a B or B-. thats why i gave him a C - i split the difference.

my grades are right, everyone elses are WRONG!

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 16, 2008, 09:35 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
one wrong umpiring decision made the difference between ash scoring 35 and scoring 35++ (who knows, he might have cracked a 5th test ton). so its fair to give him a D when he could have earned a B or B-. thats why i gave him a C - i split the difference.
I thought he already had two lives in that 35. He was not comfortable at all. The radio commentators said that. (5th century, lol, had you said, "his 8th 50" I wouldn't have mind but century?? He would have definitely run out partners had he even got close to it.)
Quote:
my grades are right, everyone elses are WRONG!
Are you under Zunaid bhai's tutelage? I wouldn't mind if he hands the batton off to you.
Old January 16, 2008, 11:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Are you under Zunaid bhai's tutelage? I wouldn't mind if he hands the batton off to you.
Zunaid Bhai's "Gunda" personality is casting its spell on Al Furqaan.

I grade the team with "D". And i agree with Spitty's grading (IMO, he has the best understanding of the BD team in general) except for his grading of Ash. Ash has my sympathy for the wrong decisions.
Old January 16, 2008, 11:36 AM
Cricket Sage

overall the team earned a D+ or so.

F for batting, and a B, B+ for bowling.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 16, 2008, 11:37 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Sahastra
Zunaid Bhai's "Gunda" personality is casting its spell on Al Furqaan.
not true, I was ganster waay before Dr Z was born.

btw, is this icon new?

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 16, 2008, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
F for batting, and B, B+ for bowling.
Bashar should deserve an F for his recent performance in the series overall!
The batting is somewhere around E or D, in regard of Tamim & Zunaed's performance
and the bowling should be B with the fast bowlers making the contribution for the first time with a success.

Last edited by Moshin; January 16, 2008 at 11:51 AM..
Old January 16, 2008, 11:56 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Good effort AF,TE, Spitty.

But why waste time grading such failed performances..

except one or two, almost everyone was disappointing.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old January 16, 2008, 12:46 PM
Cricket Sage

All sould get a F and a Beter Bari. Except for Tamim.
Old January 16, 2008, 01:07 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
All sould get a F and a Beter Bari. Except for Tamim.
How was haji'r biriani? Hatey ki notun angti asey? Sorry for the off topic questions.

Welcome back!! We all missed you.
Old January 16, 2008, 01:27 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshin
Good grades viewed over the players... but why is Bashar D-, I thought he and Mushfiq were equal on thier performance?
Mushfiq had some brilliant catches.
Old January 16, 2008, 02:25 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
How was haji'r biriani?
Welcome back!! We all missed you.
Thanks but...

No hajir Biriani. Sohel_NR dui nombori.... dhoka disey. Tar upor Peter Oboshaoo Kharap... Khali Mocor Dai... I shouldn't have Futch Ka in Basundhara Mall.
Old January 16, 2008, 02:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Thanks but...

No hajir Biriani. Sohel_NR dui nombori.... dhoka disey.
Yeah, that. Dui Nombori. I like it.