facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 2, 2016, 06:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Default Do you think the ODI level of international cricket is better now or then? And how would our current ODI side fare against the teams of the past?

Yes, our ODI side can beat any team in the world right now. But do you think our current team will have an easier or more difficult time beating the teams of the past?

My answer: I'm a firm believer of the team being only as good as its players. And so facing any team with more settled and experienced players who had made themselves legends would be more difficult. For example, you would fancy your chances much more against SL without Jayasuria, Jaywardene,Sangakara, Murlitharan in the team than them in it.

But it's also true that our rate of improvement has a steeper incline than any other team out there (maybe Afg is contesting that right now). Also, players today generally are more athletic and have a different more scientific approach to the game. Though again, all this probably amounts to very little if you don't have a group of talented hard working individuals.

And yet, I just feel more confident about this Bd ODI side travelling back in a time machine and taking on any side in the past, and beating them! Am I completely off? Will that time lapse make a difference at all, or will those legendary sides hammer us just the same?

Old November 2, 2016, 06:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Quality of players were so much better though. I feel lucky to have started watching cricket from the 90's. The quality of bowling, batting was so much higher-almost for every team. Even the weakest side Zimbabwe had such quality players-Flower Brothers, Streak, Paul Strang etc.

Not sure why, but there is serious dearth in talent in world cricket at the moment. In a way BD is swimming against the tide here. We are producing some of the best players in our history.

Could the current BD team do well against teams of past? Probably not. I d rather see us take on Finch, Smith than the likes of Hayden, Gilchrist and Ponting. Or our guys facing Faulkner etc instead of McGrath and Lee.
Old November 2, 2016, 07:03 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh
Quality of players were so much better though. I feel lucky to have started watching cricket from the 90's. The quality of bowling, batting was so much higher-almost for every team. Even the weakest side Zimbabwe had such quality players-Flower Brothers, Streak, Paul Strang etc.

Not sure why, but there is serious dearth in talent in world cricket at the moment. In a way BD is swimming against the tide here. We are producing some of the best players in our history.

Could the current BD team do well against teams of past? Probably not. I d rather see us take on Finch, Smith than the likes of Hayden, Gilchrist and Ponting. Or our guys facing Faulkner etc instead of McGrath and Lee.
May be our history is so bad thats why..its hard for other teams to compare to their legends..U cant compare jeson holdar to walsh..or the current aus WK to gilly..junaid khan to wasim..list goes on..

In our case we had Manjurul Islam, Hasibul Hossain..now we have Fizz, Tashkin who looks legendary in comparison with the past guys
Old November 2, 2016, 07:54 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

It would be a tight contest no doubt. There are a lot of mystery spinners these days, which wasn't the case in the 90s era.

There are fewer bowlers of the caliber of Brett Lee, Shoaib Akhtar, Glen McGrath, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younus, Muttiah, Anil Kumble, Chaminda Vaas, Courtney Walsh, Ambrose...that doesn't mean they are completely non-existent.

Dale Steyn
Mustafizur Rahman
Ravichandran Ashwin
Rangana Herath(late bloomer)
Mitchell Starc
Trent Boult
Tim Southee(that world cup spell against England was EPIC, that was a flat pitch)
Yasir Shah(another late bloomer)
James Anderson(one of the best, if not the best swing bowler in this generation)
Mohammad Amir

watch out for Adam Zampa from Australia, I think he has the talent into develop into something really really special (He is already pretty good). But i agree in general there are fewer exceptional talents compared to the 90s era, but that probably has to do with the insurgence of T20, game favoring batsmen etc...

Batsmen:

Hashim Amla
Joe Root
Virat Kohli
Steve Smith
AB De Villers
Brendan McCullum
Chris Gayle
MS Dhoni
Misbah Ul Haq(his temperament puts him in the ATG category from this era).He is the Paksitani Javed Omar, expect with much more shots in his arsenal and captaincy credentials)

Note that T20 didn't exist in the nineties...
Old November 2, 2016, 12:13 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Loaded question with a follow-up

I liked the 70s to late 80s.
Richards, Lloyd, Kapil, Gavaskar, boon, Chapelle, botham, Haynes, Gordon G, ...
Old November 3, 2016, 06:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Or, let me simply put it another way, how would this Bd ODI side do in 1999 world cup?
Old November 3, 2016, 06:49 AM
Cricket Guru

Forget Aus/Ind/Pak/Sl/WI/SA 15 years ago, I wonder how our team would fare in an ODI/Test series with the Zim team that had the Flower Brothers, Campbell, Streak etc.