facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 24, 2014, 05:03 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default BCB decision a death warrant - Saber Chowdhury

Dear Mr. President:
As a former president of Bangladesh Cricket Board and presently a member of Bangladesh Cricket Board's general council and last but not least as a fellow Parliamentarian, I am aghast and deeply disappointed at the apparent decision of BCB board of directors to endorse a plan/proposal of three Full Members of ICC.
This decision is tantamount to signing the death warrant for Bangladesh cricket.
We have worked hard and persevered for decades to achieve Test Status and Full Membership of the ICC and we historically did so on 26th June 2000. This was a crowning moment for not just Bangladesh cricket but for the entire nation and people of Bangladesh. Bangladesh Cricket Board was honoured and recognised with the country's highest national award -- Independence Day Award -- for this outstanding achievement.
All of the functions and activities of the BCB are geared towards participating and competing at the highest level of world cricket and is essentially the raison d'etre for the Board's existence.
I read your comments about ego and reality but do not feel these can ever take precedence and priority over national interest and principles. There is more to life and responsibility than meekly surrendering and being subservient to powers that be.
We had the courage and self belief to seek and achieve Test Status but now sadly lack the conviction and leadership to defend it. Mere short-term financial benefit cannot surely be at the expense of the very survival of cricket but this evidently is precisely what the board of directors have voted for.
We now stand to lose all that we have so proudly achieved and this is simply not acceptable. I am sorry and sad to say that that the decision of the BCB board of directors is not in the interest of Bangladesh cricket and is also in conflict with our national interest. As the custodian of Bangladesh cricket, BCB cannot preside over its demise and be its de facto executioner.
Whilst I applaud the courage and the wisdom of a few directors to vote against the proposal, I question too the rationale to put the matter to vote. Surely by so doing and having the endorsement of the Board to support the plan, you have in effect tied your hands and now have no moral or institutional standing to oppose it during the upcoming ICC Board Meeting.
I question too the jurisdiction of the board of directors to decide on an issue of such momentous implications.
If in your shoes, I would have referred the matter to an emergency meeting of the BCB general council, which as per the constitution imposed by the NSC, is the apex organisational tier of the BCB and I would also have discussed the matter with NSC and sought the government's views on the matter. Such a consultative process and approach would only have strengthened your hand and given you more options for the upcoming meeting.
Plan of the three full members to re-structure world cricket, concentrate power in the few and create second-class cricket citizens with regard to Bangladesh and Zimbabwe is repugnant to the letter and spirit of ICC's constitution and the vision of growing the game globally. We must have the courage to oppose it and stand up and be counted. If you need my support or that of former presidents, I am sure we will only be too pleased to help as best we can and stand firmly by your side and try to rally the other six full members of the ICC as well.
I would urge you to review and reverse the decision of the board of directors and to oppose in the strongest possible terms the plan of the three full members. You will be failing in your responsibility as President if you fail to correct this. BCB will also have failed in its duties as the custodian and representative of our cricket.
Regards.
Saber Chowdhury

http://www.thedailystar.net/sports/b...h-warrant-8308

Old January 24, 2014, 10:06 PM
BC Editorial Team

It's high indictment of our country that here is a member of BAL, who is arguably the best cricket administrator we have and he's not running the show because his level of rear-end-rubbing is not at the Papon level.
Old January 24, 2014, 10:25 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

That being said I do think the BCB is going about it in the least damaging way. Papon is looking to see what crumbs are thrown if any. Also seems other boards are backtracking now and changing tunes. There are also lots of vagueries in the draft. We are full members but play IC Cup? Can we simaltaneously play Tests since FTP is bilateral now? Will there be a distiction between full member and test status member with us being demoted to the former? I think BCB will attend the meeting, see others' views, see if any amendments are proposed, see if big 3 will make any concessions vis a vis crumbs from the smaller 5, and weight all these things together. Too many unknowns to blindly vote at this stage, since its not just about ego but about ground realities instead.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 24, 2014, 11:31 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

The pressure is building on Papon. I think he is fully aware about what the people want. Playing 2nd division cricket will only be an option if BCCI gets the proposal passed even without our vote. Hence as I have said before if our vote becomes the decider I am confident we will vote against it. Otherwise there will be hell to pay for this
Old January 25, 2014, 12:48 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

I agree Jadukor. BCB politicians may be corrupt but they aren't morons. Now that BPL is gone they wont make any money hosting Israel and Puerto Rico.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 25, 2014, 01:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
That being said I do think the BCB is going about it in the least damaging way. Papon is looking to see what crumbs are thrown if any. Also seems other boards are backtracking now and changing tunes. There are also lots of vagueries in the draft. We are full members but play IC Cup? Can we simaltaneously play Tests since FTP is bilateral now? Will there be a distiction between full member and test status member with us being demoted to the former? I think BCB will attend the meeting, see others' views, see if any amendments are proposed, see if big 3 will make any concessions vis a vis crumbs from the smaller 5, and weight all these things together. Too many unknowns to blindly vote at this stage, since its not just about ego but about ground realities instead.
If we play IC cup and play 4-6 test matches (2-3 series) against top 8 a year that wont be so bad, but I fear whether we will get any test matches from the top 8.
Old January 25, 2014, 02:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
I agree Jadukor. BCB politicians may be corrupt but they aren't morons. Now that BPL is gone they wont make any money hosting Israel and Puerto Rico.
But the problem is the directors have voted in favour of the draft if BCB falls in a situation where it's vote will decide the draft's fate. Papon has taken the mandate to say 'YES' if he needs to in the ICC meeting. And that's a worrying thing.

BCB is sold I guess, but I don't want to believe it though.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ