facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 1, 2005, 11:10 AM
ODI Cricketer

Default Jayawardene criticised Bangladesh\'s approach in 1st ODI

Jayawardene : Bangladesh should've chased
What More:My instruction was to bat 50 overs. I am glad that they spent some good time in the middle.

Look at the contrasting mindset/approach of those guy & think about why srilanka released this high profile coach even after this guy handed them the biggest ever sporting laurels for their country

read the news by al musabbir sadi of dailystar from Colombo

Whatmore seems pleased
Bangladesh should've chased: Mahela

Mahela Jayawardene criticised Bangladesh's approach towards Wednesday's first one-day international where they tried to bat out full 50 overs instead of trying to get closer to the target.

"If it was a triangular series and points to be taken, then the last wicket partnership of Bangladesh would have been helpful for them. Otherwise it was pointless. I think they wanted to bat full 50 overs but they should have tried to chase the total instead," said man-of-the-match Jayawardene who smashed 50 off 35 balls.

"You should take challenges and as a team and we do the same and try to make sure we achieve them. Khaled Mashud is an experienced batsman but the way he batted really surprised me. Tapash Baisya is one who can play shots and they should have tried at least in the last ten overs to reach closer to the target, which would have been something for them and also for the spectators," added Jayawardene, who is looking forward to be consistent and contribute to the team after picking up the form during the tri-series against India and West Indies at home.

About the match, he said: "The most important thing was that we did not lose wickets. So what we needed to do was batting throughout the overs to get a decent total and let the bowlers have a go at them."

The opposition camp, however, did not agree with him.

"It was not meaningless. My instruction was to bat 50 overs. I am glad that they spent some good time in the middle," said Bangladesh coach Dav Whatmore.

"We just made silly mistakes and didn't take our opportunities. Catches were dropped, run outs weren't effected. When we batted, we saw nice piece of fielding (from the opposition). Little bit unfortunate, but that basically is the story, not making most of the opportunities," said Whatmore.

When asked whether expectations were high after beating Australia, the Lankan-born Australian said he was not bothered about that.

"We feel we are improving but a few things today let us down. We have won matches, may be not many but it was not the case before I joined.

"The difference between the two teams is the mental abilities in one-day internationals. Ashraful dropped a catch, but he would take ten out of ten during practice. It's about being able to execute your skill under a little bit more stress, in the heat of the battle. We got beaten humbly, but I know that there are still strengths in this side. We are tenth and lost to the number two side."

He admitted that 270 was a gettable target on good pitch and fast outfield.

"I was all in all happy to get that nine wickets. Last time we took only one against them. (Syed) Rasel was very good on his debut."

For Khaled Mashud, who remained 39 not out in his 100th one-dayer, it was like any other game in the end.

"I had excitement before the game, but once I got on the field it was normal. I checked my strokes because I was told to bat throughout. It was also good to keep Muralitharan at bay and prepare for next match. We were too far away from the target and playing out all the overs was better than trying to chase. Denying them the last wicket was really good because they tried really hard," Mashud told.

Old September 1, 2005, 11:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Hey, we tried to chase and went 127/9.

Whats the probability of winning at that point. 0%.

Whats the probability of batting out the 50 overs at that point. Close to 0%.

How often does Pilot get to practice against bowlers like Murali? Not much.

Is this practice going to help him in the next ODIs and the test series. You bet it would. It was calculated and executed. Pilot has the mind of an assassinator.
Old September 1, 2005, 11:27 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Sour grapes. 17 overs and they could not get the last wicket. Threw the kitchen sink at us but we survived. Trying to inject different school of thoughts to break up the team mentality. The match was over when we were 5 down. This is a positive indication for the upcoming tests. We can bat out and defend. I liked the strategy.

If Bd were allout by 130 Cricinfo would say “Sri Lanka crushes/humiliates Bangladesh”. Rather than “Sri Lanka complete an easy victory”.
Then next day you would hear "Bd don’t deserve test status" from various sources.
Old September 1, 2005, 11:34 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I know it was not amusing for Jayawardene and his team to field the last 17 overs, may be thats the reason he commented like that.
Old September 1, 2005, 11:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

I agree with Whatmore.

When we won against the Australians, at the beginning we were just playing sensibly, keeping wickets, not even the thoughts of chasing in mind. But at the end, we created the option to go after it and we made it!

270 is a gettable target; but not many teams, let alone Bangaldesh, can do that against Sri Lanka. I found positives in the approach of the openers. But unfortunately, we lost some quick wickets and the only thing we could do from there is just spending time in the middle.

Think about the practical side. For a team like us or Zimbabwe, it's better losing a match by 88 runs than trying to make impossible possible and then conceeding a 150 runs defeat! Courage is something you need in life; but it's more important to apply it in proper time.
Old September 1, 2005, 12:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Cats_eye
Sour grapes. 17 overs and they could not get the last wicket. Threw the kitchen sink at us but we survived. Trying to inject different school of thoughts to break up the team mentality. The match was over when we were 5 down. This is a positive indication for the upcoming tests. We can bat out and defend. I liked the strategy.

If Bd were allout by 130 Cricinfo would say “Sri Lanka crushes/humiliates Bangladesh”. Rather than “Sri Lanka complete an easy victory”.
Then next day you would hear "Bd don’t deserve test status" from various sources.
Hit the nail on the head.

I know exactly why Whatmore is happy despite miserable fielding and middle order batting.

He is grinning inside and outside because he has found long term solutions in Rasel, Golla and Shahriar in 3 critical positions. And he got them all on the same day. See, he doesn't jump over the bridge thinking short term like most of the regular fans. Golla was oozing confidence and when he was out Shahriar has shown that he has taken over the openning slot permanently. A stat reader may not see Rasel, Golla and Shahriar's arrival yesterday. I am sure Whatmor has.
Old September 1, 2005, 12:25 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

I would be displeased if we didn't try to chase right from the start.

But after losing top 6 batsman within 25 overs and with RRR over 7, I didn't mind the attempt of playing out full 50 overs.
Old September 1, 2005, 12:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
I would be displeased if we didn't try to chase right from the start.
Exactly.

Obviously, the way Javed was hitting those cracking boundaries he wasn't instructed to play out the 50 overs. You know he would love to do it.
Old September 1, 2005, 09:21 PM
Test Cricketer

the situation we were in after losing early wickets, we were in no condition on chasing 270. i thought pilot and taposh did a great job playing the entire 50 overs. their performance gives us hope for the test series.
Old September 1, 2005, 09:43 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Pilot and taposh did what situation demanded.. I wonder whether jawardaney had a party to etten to or some thing!!

Good job both of you. I went to bed after aftab was out thinking we will be out before 100.

I hope dave drops one of the stroke plyrs and take more grafters cause this srilanka 2 speed pitchs r not good for hitting.. people with more consentration will have better luck. I think rajin should get another chance here....in place of Ash/Aftab/Tusher. or may be chged with rana or somebody as super sub