facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 11, 2016, 12:07 AM
Cricket Legend

BCB say no to alternative to Bangladesh,they must be confident no more terrorist attacks.

Old July 11, 2016, 02:31 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName
http://www.espncricinfo.com/banglade...y/1033495.html

Lol, if England flat out say no what is BCB going to say? Skip the tour altogether and sit on our butts for another few months?
I agree with BCB here, if we go in the route of neutral venue we may not come back from this. if needed we can postpone the tour until the situation gets better. Bangladesh isn't Pakistan yet
Old July 11, 2016, 03:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Neutral venue is a big no no, perhaps the most important reason being is that it won't be financially viable for us.

This is how it won't work

1) A lot of Pakistanis have "fled", yes fled Pakistan and have settled in Middle East, or western countries, but mostly in the UAE. And many of these being middle class people who can afford to watch the match because of spare time and money. Thats why a lot of spectators turn up for PSL and Pak matches. Bangladesh isn't in such a situation yet.

2) Bangladesh's lack of history means that the bonding between fans and the team isn't as strong. We don't have too many die hard cricket fans, most are just bandwagoners. And if we don't host cricket matches, these bandwagoners would dissappear into the blue.

3) Our lack of quality: Since we are a weak team, we won't be playing too many series against top ranked sides and that usually means very limited sponsorship. Keep it in mind guys that, it will cost us a WHOLE lot because BCB and government don't own anything abroad. Not just the stadium, but all other facilities combined will cost us so much that we won't be able to host any team unless we get big sponsorship deal, which means playing Pakistan, England, Aus and preferrably India. We cannot afford to host WI, Zim, Ireland, etc because they won't attract sponsors.

Finance is really important here. Since our board takes responsibility, with support of government and other companies, a series hosted in Bangladesh is extremely cheap in relative terms. BCB hardly have to think about transportation, accomodation or security costs. And ofcourse, BCB "owns" the stadiums here. It will cost BCB 10-12 times to host a match in a venue like UAE as opposed to BD.
Old July 11, 2016, 03:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockley
BCB say no to alternative to Bangladesh,they must be confident no more terrorist attacks.
You need to understand the nature of these terrorist attacks at first. These are basically skirmishes which you cannot prepare for. Paris couldn't, turkey couldn't, even the orlando shooting can be talked about.

Fact is, a terrorist attack can happen anytime, anywhere. The bigger concern is whether Bangladesh becomes a war-zone like Pakistan to an extent or worse like Afghanistan.
Old July 11, 2016, 04:04 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Le Fizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
Bangladesh isn't Pakistan yet
Exactly. And we should not aspire to be Pakistan either.
Old July 11, 2016, 05:39 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
I agree with BCB here, if we go in the route of neutral venue we may not come back from this. if needed we can postpone the tour until the situation gets better. Bangladesh isn't Pakistan yet
I agree, no need for neutral venue. If we yes to this, that wil set precedent for future tours to come. I'd rather have the tour get moved to a later date than play at neutral venue.
Old July 13, 2016, 06:35 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

I am going to move all these posts to forget cricket section under topics of extremism when i get back home. Hard to do on phone. If any other mods are around before me then plz move these to solutions to extremism thread in FC
Old July 13, 2016, 08:48 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

on topic, BCB did a good thing by declining neutral venue. Either we play at home or don't play at all (home matches). We can't set a precedent of playing our home matches abroad.
Old July 13, 2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
on topic, BCB did a good thing by declining neutral venue. Either we play at home or don't play at all (home matches). We can't set a precedent of playing our home matches abroad.

Agree all the way. Kudos to BCB for take a strong stand on this.

Once you play at "neutral venue", you are done and doomed like Pakistan.
Old July 13, 2016, 12:52 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush

Agree all the way. Kudos to BCB for take a strong stand on this.

Once you play at "neutral venue", you are done and doomed like Pakistan.
you learned nothing from this thread.
Old July 16, 2016, 06:35 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Tigers get opportunity before England series

Staff Correspondent
The Bangladesh Cricket Board is planning to provide their players some competitive longer-version matches before the forthcoming England series, said BCB officials on Saturday.

England are supposed to visit here in next October and BCB has decided to arrange some matches of the Bangladesh Cricket League, the longer-version domestic tournament, from the late August.

‘We have decided to arrange some BCL matches before the England series,’ said BCB’s Cricket Operations Committee chairman Akram Khan on Saturday.

‘Probably the BCL shall commence on August 20. If our boys can play some matches prior to the England series their confidence level will be high.’

Bangladesh have produced some great results in the one-day international during the last couple of years but their performance in the longer version game still has a yawning gap with the expectation.
Lack of matches is one of the main causes if not the main reason for Tigers’ inability to make an upheaval in Test cricket.
Bangladesh played only 93 Test matches since they got their Test status 16 years ago and it is by far the lowest number of Tests in that period for any country except Zimbabwe, who withdrew themselves from Test cricket for a while.

If England series occur it will be the first Test match for Tigers after almost a 15-month gap as they last played with red cherries back in July 2015, against South Africa at home.
Since that South Africa series, whose second and last Test match was washed out only after 88.1 over, Bangladesh did not feature in any Test match.

In the past it was seen that the scarcity of longer-version games also made Tigers shaky when they had to face the stronger opponents and often struggled after returning from a long gap.
Some crucial match practice is believed to be important against number three ranked side England, which is only one of the two teams having 100 per cent winning record against Bangladesh.

England won all eight Tests that they have played against Tigers so far and only Australia maintain that record by winning all the four matches against Bangladesh.

That is why the BCB’s effort of giving the Tigers some valuable chance to acclimatise with the longer-version is believed to be essential for the forthcoming series, though the recent situation of the country created some cloud on the fate of the series.

Australia withheld their Bangladesh tour during the October last year citing the security concern and recent terrorist attacks in the country, raising some anxiety on the England tour as well.
A terrorist attack in Gulshan killed 18 foreigners and England cricket board said that they are observing the current situation before taking any decision of the tour.

BCL matches are also expected to give Tigers some useful match practice ahead of their New Zealand tour in next January even if the England series is scrapped.

New Age BD
http://newagebd.net/240722/tigers-ge...ngland-series/
Old July 20, 2016, 12:27 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Bangladesh have commenced training on Wednesday as reported by Mr. Isam.

Based on the article, 30 players are involved...so I guess our very own Sabbir Rahman is also participating.

Give us some details bhai.
Old July 27, 2016, 09:00 AM
Test Cricketer

British council is also shut down temporarily citing security (something that has never happened in my lifetime).... I would be massively surprised if England decides to tour.
Old August 9, 2016, 12:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

So, is England coming or not?
Old August 12, 2016, 11:45 PM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

"It would be a huge call to decide not to tour. Teams not going to Pakistan is a dreadful shame. I was on bus in Lahore and we were lucky to survive that. Player and staff safety is paramount but it's a huge decision for a country to decide not to go. Bangladesh are looking forward to us going." Paul Farbace, England's Assistant Coach

More: http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/...y/1045399.html
Old August 13, 2016, 03:46 AM
Cricket Legend

It seems like England will tour Bangladesh. Security forces haven't found any information of a possible attack on England team and there hasn't been anything out of the blue off-late.

Hope everything will go as planned. This is a very important series for us.
Old August 13, 2016, 04:20 PM
Cricket Savant

Good signs.
Old August 13, 2016, 05:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHRAM
It seems like England will tour Bangladesh. .
I would not read much into any of the news until at least a couple of weeks before the scheduled tour .. I still think the tour should go on but Bangladesh needs to up its game from the government level to get this thing done properly ...

I was there during the low key Zimbabwe tour and the security was lacking ..this was after Australia cancelled tour ... but bcb seems like provided overwhelming security according to many reports for the u19 world cup ... they do a lot of things during world cup including preventing anyone going to the roof of nearby buildings ....

I think a level of security provided to visiting government officials should be promised to alleviate any concern ..

It is a tough call but I hope they visit and their respect for me will go up incrementally because it is always easier to say no and avoid things than to tackle on something and fight it. That is actually the spirit of winning in a competitive sports and all these players should possess those qualities ...
Old August 13, 2016, 05:08 PM
Cricket Legend

And hasina apa visits stadiums pretty frequently .. I would think security has to be top class if she is there ....
Old August 13, 2016, 05:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Having said the above I do think they should keep the staff to the minimum necessary ..meaning no families and non essential ppl and I don't think any English fans should visit either ...
Old August 13, 2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHRAM

Hope everything will go as planned. This is a very important series for us.
? except the Fizz!
Old August 13, 2016, 06:15 PM
Cricket Savant

The return of the delectable Shamim Chowdhury
Old August 13, 2016, 07:02 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

IF Bangladeshi people are not safe in Bangladesh, then England definitely should not play. Then it means there is bigger concern at play. Of course it is entirely their prerogative.

#nomanleftbehind #nonationleftbehind #jackiechan

Profile Omega Man
Old August 13, 2016, 07:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
IF Bangladeshi people are not safe in Bangladesh, then England definitely should not play. Then it means there is bigger concern at play. Of course it is entirely their prerogative.

#nomanleftbehind #nonationleftbehind #jackiechan
This is not logical argument ... random Bangladeshis aren't provided security.

Cricket can not die in Bangladesh just like that because there are other concerns at play ....

Life is short and would suck if it's at standstill ...

When is the right time really? Don't be naive .
Old August 13, 2016, 07:21 PM
Cricket Savant

Return of the match threads....

Needed ASAP!!!