facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 24, 2012, 10:51 AM
Club Cricketer

Default West bengal cricketers

Hi all,

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on, if a West Bengal cricketer decided to play for Bangladesh or was persuaded to play for Bangladesh (provided he brings something different from what we already have with the current bunch of players or the ones coming through). Technically the player would be of Bengali origin. So would like to hear everyone's thought.

Old May 24, 2012, 10:57 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib,Tamim,Anamul

U persuade any1 ? Meaningless thread.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old May 24, 2012, 10:59 AM
Test Cricketer

If you make runs, take wickets and win matches for Bangladesh, it's ok. No problema.
Old May 24, 2012, 11:00 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1raz
Hi all,

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on, if a West Bengal cricketer decided to play for Bangladesh or was persuaded to play for Bangladesh (provided he brings something different from what we already have with the current bunch of players or the ones coming through). Technically the player would be of Bengali origin. So would like to hear everyone's thought.
He has to get BD Citizenship first to be considered for BD National Team. Only being Bengali does not fulfill the requirements.
Old May 24, 2012, 11:02 AM
Cricket Legend

If he becomes a Bangladeshi citizen then why not (Since we lack many quality batsman may be some imported batsman from West Bengal can solve the problem)

O.P - Thinking of sending Manoj Tiwary to Bangladesh? :p
Old May 24, 2012, 11:07 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

The question is if that west Bengal cricketer willing to give up Indian citizenship and become Bangladeshi..that's a tough call imho..
Old May 24, 2012, 12:42 PM
Test Cricketer

I do not think you have to be citizen of Bangladesh to play for her. I think IC has rule for residency and not have represented another country for specified period. There are a bunch of people playing for associate countries who are neither indigenous nor citizens of the country they are playing for. Beside the WI team is composed of players of a few sovereign nations.
Old May 24, 2012, 01:18 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

West Bengalis are proud Indians. Why would they play for us? And also why do we even need to hire foreign players? Yes, they are Bengali but not Bangladeshi. Cricket is played by 10 countries and not 10 ethnic groups. Indian team has players from different ethnic groups be it Yuvraj/H Singh (Punjabi), Ganguly (Bengali), Sachin (Marathi), Pathans (Gujrati), etc.. and yet they play as one country. Well, foreign born Bangladeshis are different and we even have one US born athlete representing us in Olympics this year. But both his parents are from Bangladesh.

I would rather lose with 11 Bangladeshi than import West Bengalis and win.
Old May 24, 2012, 01:26 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla & Tamim Iqbal

Playing good cricket, is the key to success(win matches). You need concentration, and concentration makes a man concentrated. No need to run after West Bengalis.
Old May 24, 2012, 01:31 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

You have to meet residency requirements. Which, if I have not mistaken, is 5 years (used to be very low but after UAE won ICC trophy using only outsiders, we lobbied to make them tougher).

Besides residency issue, they have to compete against everyone else for the spot. Beside that, why not?
Old May 24, 2012, 01:35 PM

Favorite Player: Tamim,Ash,Mash,Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
West Bengalis are proud Indians. Why would they play for us? And also why do we even need to hire foreign players? Yes, they are Bengali but not Bangladeshi. Cricket is played by 10 countries and not 10 ethnic groups. Indian team has players from different ethnic groups be it Yuvraj/H Singh (Punjabi), Ganguly (Bengali), Sachin (Marathi), Pathans (Gujrati), etc.. and yet they play as one country. Well, foreign born Bangladeshis are different and we even have one US born athlete representing us in Olympics this year. But both his parents are from Bangladesh.

well said

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old May 24, 2012, 01:52 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02

My guess is that, the question was not asked on the base of should/should not. But if someone wants to, what are the technicality. Why would we/they want that is hypothetical.
Old May 24, 2012, 02:00 PM
Club Cricketer

Kind of a silly question. They are indian, they have their own pride. Why would they want to come to bangladesh to play for our country. Its like saying would Bangladeshis go over to India to play for them (Even if they had the skills to do so).
Old May 24, 2012, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

If I were a selector and Manoj Tiwary were to meet the residency requirements and make himself available for selection, I would by all means pick him in the national XI for T20s, ODIs and Tests (did you see that FC average?).
Old May 24, 2012, 03:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
If I were a selector and Manoj Tiwary were to meet the residency requirements and make himself available for selection, I would by all means pick him in the national XI for T20s, ODIs and Tests (did you see that FC average?).
He is a very good batsman but India never gave him chance for long time ..May be 1-2 tournament and then again drop..
Old May 24, 2012, 04:03 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
I too am stumped as to why he hasn't been considered more seriously by India. He has a FC average of 60+ and has 16 FC hundreds to date. I remember hearing that he had attitude problems when he was younger but with that record I wonder how much longer he can be ignored.
Old May 24, 2012, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

India has a very powerful batting lineup. There are plenty of really good players in places like India, Australia and South Africa who miss out on international glory solely because their parents decided to give birth to them in those places.

Tiwary will probably have his chances, now that some of the oldies are retiring. It'll then be up to him to make the most of it.
Old May 25, 2012, 03:38 AM
MLC World Series I

If you guys didn't know, Manoj Tiwary has played 6 ODI innings and already has a century under his belt.
Old May 25, 2012, 04:32 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Buzz Lightyear

I like manoj-seems to have good rapport with shak as well

As long as it's not Ganguly
Old May 25, 2012, 10:37 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Tiwary, Dinda, Shukla and Debabrata Das all would've have been good prospects. Interestingly enough, NONE of the first three have Bangali surnames. Those are Bihari and Ur'hia names.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 25, 2012, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

I like what Debobroto Daash has done in this year's IPL - he has been one of the very few local talents to shine with the bat. Lokkhi Roton Shukla would be a great addition too. DIdn't realize Dinda was Bangali.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:08 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Das has his ancestral roots in Raujan, Chittagong.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 25, 2012, 11:38 AM
Cricket Legend

West Bengali cricketers from India are pretty much the worst in all of India. We're better off looking for more ball-boy Ashrafuls in our local clubs.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Also what's with these "Let's hire foreigners to play for us" threads? Last thing I want is a non-Bangladeshi playing for my country. Give me 11 Rakibul Hasans over a single foreigner any day.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:54 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_king
Also what's with these "Let's hire foreigners to play for us" threads? Last thing I want is a non-Bangladeshi playing for my country. Give me 11 Rakibul Hasans over a single foreigner any day.
I like.