facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 28, 2005, 11:44 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Educational background of our cricketers

I was really wondering what is the educational background of our cricketers?
...........as i have seen most of the players are so young, i guess hardly they get to study. Now as i have seen some of the famous players in the world, they had quite good education like Imran khan, anil kumble and many others.
Now many of u might say education not important for cricketers, we care more abt performance bla bla bla.....but as i understand proper education helps to cultivate brain and better understand the tectics of cricket.

Old July 28, 2005, 11:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Umm... you are not the MBA dude, are you?
Old July 29, 2005, 12:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
proper education helps to cultivate brain and better understand the tectics of cricket.
depends on the definition of education. They are more educated than you are a million fold in the game of cricket.
Old July 29, 2005, 12:28 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Orpheus
Quote:
proper education helps to cultivate brain and better understand the tectics of cricket.
depends on the definition of education. They are more educated than you are a million fold in the game of cricket.
ofcourse they are million fold .......................
....why u guys comparing them with me??
Old July 29, 2005, 12:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Players like Inzamam and Jayasuria who are great batsmans not very educated. So, I think it doesnt matter in cricket. Talent and determination matters.
Old July 29, 2005, 01:07 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

I believe Gazi Ashraful Lipu had a degree in management - what degree, I don't remember. I read it somewhere when he was the manager of our national team.

I also read in Hannan Sarkar's profile that he studied at American International university (Amma) in Banani.

Sanwar Hossain was at Dhaka university (he got a Blue or something) while playing cricket as well as studying at DU.

I don't know about our current players - about their education.
Old July 29, 2005, 01:09 AM
First BC Member

I think I either heard it or read it somewhere that Hasibul Hussain Shanto was studying at North South university a few years back.
Old July 29, 2005, 01:22 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

As I assume, many of our current Ntl.squad members are below Univ level or hav just entred it... becausey many of them age from 17 to 22. I don't have any more details about them.

But I couldn't stop myself from digging out this 'treasure-thread' from our archive!

"Cricket is a game of literate people" -by our long lost but infamous member 'mba'

This just might fulfill many or sunny's inquiries..
Old July 29, 2005, 01:22 AM
Test Cricketer

U see in bd cricket, if u don't perform well u are out of the team......cricketers like Mushfiqur rahim who is only 16, if he doesn't do anything else then cricket, then it is a problem. What if he can't perform well, out of form and he is out of the team. how will he survive later?Thinkg about Masri..what if he couldn't have come back from his injury? what he could do to survive?AS we know most of our crickets are not from wealthy family. So who will give them job? Just by playing cricket in our domestic league, impossible to survive with such little money.
THanks for the information Fwullah.
Old July 29, 2005, 01:50 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Well.. Cricket, like any other job, is a proffession. And specially in a Test-playing country, cricket has to develop as a proffession. We are not there yet, but surely on the way to establish a proffessional structure in cricket. Currently there are a pool of something like 20 players who hold contracts with the BCB and get paid on monthly basis... and that payment is higher than many jobs that their educational qualification would get them. In time, as Bangladesh goes higher up the ranking table, hopefully there will be more and more players provided financially, not only by the BCB, but also by the clubs as well.

It is the proffessional attitude that has to develop in the players too. And about 'alternative' ways of earning if they fail in cricket? Well... I guess who wants to succeed in cricket, almost always has to sacrifice his educational progress, as both can never go in same pace for a person. That is why ex/current-cricketers are often offered jobs by corporate companies even though they don't 'educationally' qualify for those jobs. This 'supportive role' by the corporates is also a part of professionalism in cricket I suppose.

Edited on, July 29, 2005, 7:24 AM GMT, by Ahmed_B.
Old July 29, 2005, 03:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by sunny747

Point was they know the physics of cricket quiet well... ability to do projectile motion calculations while playing the hook shot wouldn't help much...

I was commenting on your quote that I higlighted. Cultivate brain for cricket.. I don't think so. But I do agree with you that it's not possible to just rely on cricket. So it's really an individual thing.......there is always time to be educated.

It's not only for cricketers, I think these sorts of decisions are common if you are human Opportunity cost and creating opportunities ..

Hope my explanation pleases you - it might have appeared insulting....
Old July 29, 2005, 03:46 AM
Cricket Legend

by the way does anyone want some tictacs? I hear it cultivates your brain tactic - ally? or as sunny would say tectically.

Edited on, July 29, 2005, 8:47 AM GMT, by Orpheus.
Reason: at the last moment I decided to be an idiot.. mba thread inspired me!! Sorry Sunny!
Old July 29, 2005, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Habibul Bashar has a pHD in Applied Physics from the University of Saskatchewan. Javed Omar dropped out of MIT because it was too hard for him. Akram Khan went to Aligar (sp) in India. I don't remember what he studied.
Old July 29, 2005, 04:23 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by sunny747

Point was they know the physics of cricket quiet well... ability to do projectile motion calculations while playing the hook shot wouldn't help much...

I was commenting on your quote that I higlighted. Cultivate brain for cricket.. I don't think so. But I do agree with you that it's not possible to just rely on cricket. So it's really an individual thing.......there is always time to be educated.

It's not only for cricketers, I think these sorts of decisions are common if you are human Opportunity cost and creating opportunities ..

Hope my explanation pleases you - it might have appeared insulting....
When u are over-aged there is no time for education. All the responsibility to look after ur family will come up and ofcourse u have to hunt for job. this is from Bd point of view.
I'm concern about those young cricketers who play few games in the highest level and drop out. Crickers like Rahim at aged 16, will have nothing to do in future if he is not in the team. ANd corporate companies will not hire him as he wouldn't be famous enuff to advertise . And BcB will not sign a contract as he is not in the team.

IF he has education definitely he can look for something else. That's all what i'm saying....the real picture in bd cricket is different my friend.

ANd ya i took your tictac/tactic story very well, i was laughing my *** out. Seeing me laughing, my dog ran towards me and was looking at me, and i showed the thread from ORpheus, and my dog--- i saw him laughing tooo!!!!:P
Old July 29, 2005, 04:30 AM
First BC Member

Quote:
by playing cricket in our domestic league, impossible to survive with such little money.
I thought the salary that our domestic players get right at the time of signing a contract with big teams like Abahani-Mohammedan get around 1 to 2 Lacs Taka per year? (or, may be more?)
Old July 29, 2005, 05:15 AM
Cricket Legend

again sunny your point was well taken. And like I said it is upto the cricketers (or their parents) to decide what's best for them. If you can keep up with both - well you are a superman aren't you?

There are people who study to become Lawyers but end up being an accountants. People who study to become doctors but end up being a Nurse.

You can't do anything about it! What if they fail? We all have that fear - what if. Maybe you are different :p

But it would definitely help a lot if there is a decent amount of money in domestic games ....

Choosing sports over higher education and vice versa is just another decision of your life....not only in BD but everywhere. K?

I am glad your dog enjoyed it. Atleast somebody in the house got brain.
Old July 29, 2005, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

aminul had hit the headlines with 6 lakhs a couple of years ago. in general, the more famous players earn around 4-7 lakhs (if i remember correctly) from leagues. well, at least they used to. with the contract system, they do not get to play that much league cricket, do they?

a grade A cricketer earns around 60 grand a month in salary, and match fees, prize money, etc amount up to a lot. A national team player definitely earns more than a lakh a month in Bangladesh. Although these figures are low compared even to countries like Pakistan, the system is improving. The pay wil increase more and more as our cricket progresses. Currently, if you're good, then cricket is way better a place to invest money and expected amplified returns than many other fields in Bangladesh.
Old July 29, 2005, 05:23 AM
Cricket Legend

asif rahman bhai eita ki korlen....

I don't feel like studying anymore.. ami ekhoni bd te giye cricket khelbo....

pora shuna korar por.. pach taka per hour.. jottoshob!!
Old July 29, 2005, 05:51 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

Wow! I didn't know Bashar was a PhD! I'm doing a PhD myself, and am starting to understand how tough it is.

Given Bashar has a PhD, and hence is by definition an intelligent and resourceful person ( I am not saying I am one of these people, that is for you guys to decide ), I am somewhat surprised by the lack of tactics and aptitude in his captaincy....

But anyway, regarding the subject of education in our cricketers. In my strong opinion, I believe it is vital. Not because it will improve players' cricketing skills or performances, but because the players are ambassodors of Bangladesh, and when they interact with officials, media, fellow players from other teams, etc., they repesent us as a nation. We want them to be bright, articulate, and above all, educuated players so that they give people a good impression of our great nation and its people.

Imran Khan is a case in point. He is a highly educated (Oxford graduate, I think) and charismatic man, and has acted as a great ambassodor for Pakistan. I think if Bashar has a PhD, the media and BCCB should let people know so that they grow a greater respect for him, as well as the team and nation as a whole.

Beyond education being a vital ingredient in priming our cricketers to be good ambassodoers, I think the intellectual stimulation of education does add to players' skills. Cricket is a thinking man's game, and brute force or supernatural abilities alone do not make a complete cricketer. Also, players become more receptive to coaching as the education process not only teaches actual knowledge, but skills in how to gain knowledge.

So, I think there are many advantages to a good education, and I hope the BCCB address this for certian players in the team, particularly the younger ones who may be missing out due to the hectic schedule of international cricket.

Edited on, July 29, 2005, 10:53 AM GMT, by jabbar.
Old July 29, 2005, 05:55 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
again sunny your point was well taken. And like I said it is upto the cricketers (or their parents) to decide what's best for them. If you can keep up with both - well you are a superman aren't you?
U don't need to be superman to do multitasking. ARe you againts of this that a cricketer should study????

Quote:
There are people who study to become Lawyers but end up being an accountants. People who study to become doctors but end up being a Nurse.
U are puzzled. A failed lawyer or medical student still can use their basic education to do something else. But a cricketer has to play cricket only. ANd if that fails, he has no way to go. U know how degree is important in our country.

Quote:
But it would definitely help a lot if there is a decent amount of money in domestic games ....
Ya he can play hardly until at the age of 35. and after that? i guess domestic money isn't enuff to save it for to survive the rest of his life. i have seen many cricketers just sitting at home and doing nothing. that's the real picture my friend.

Quote:
I am glad your dog enjoyed it. Atleast somebody in the house got brain.
chore chore mastoto bhai!!!
sorry for that comment, i've decided to be an idiot!!!!!
Old July 29, 2005, 05:58 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by jabbar
Wow! I didn't know Bashar was a PhD! I'm doing a PhD myself, and am starting to understand how tough it is.

Edited on, July 29, 2005, 10:53 AM GMT, by jabbar.
jabbar bhai, that was a joke.........Bashar has no phd......once i've seen i-channel interview and there he said he studied upto bcom.
Old July 29, 2005, 06:03 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
aminul had hit the headlines with 6 lakhs a couple of years ago. in general, the more famous players earn around 4-7 lakhs (if i remember correctly) from leagues. well, at least they used to. with the contract system, they do not get to play that much league cricket, do they?

a grade A cricketer earns around 60 grand a month in salary, and match fees, prize money, etc amount up to a lot. A national team player definitely earns more than a lakh a month in Bangladesh. Although these figures are low compared even to countries like Pakistan, the system is improving. The pay wil increase more and more as our cricket progresses. Currently, if you're good, then cricket is way better a place to invest money and expected amplified returns than many other fields in Bangladesh.
THanks for the information. Well, i'm talking about those who are not in the team but played fair amount of highest level. My concern is those cricketer who are lost in time for their bad performance. As we know our cricketers doesn't come from wealthy family. Most of them has talent but no education so they have got no backup plans if cricket fails. so i'm sayin, education is necessary even to became a successfull cricketers. But some of my fellow friends disagree to that. Yet, it is their right.
Old July 29, 2005, 06:59 AM
First Class Cricketer

Education n cricket dont relate to one another until something called EXPERIENCE comes to age...U look,become a educated cricketer after a certain period of time.....Thts what Sachin is made of...(9grade)......thts waaat Ashraful wud be made of...This sjust an example
Old July 29, 2005, 08:23 AM
Cricket Sage

Just because a player is going to College doesnít mean he is learning something. There are some cases in USA where a college athletic gets his bachelorís degree but turned out to be unable to read and/or write. I am sure itís pretty much similar in Bangladesh also.

The so called Institutional Education is over rated anyway (for most of the cases) unless itís very much focused and specialized.

Edited on, July 29, 2005, 1:24 PM GMT, by Fazal.
Old July 29, 2005, 09:34 AM
ODI Cricketer

sunny,i understand where you are coming from.education is important.there is no doubt about it.since our players cant speak english well,they wont be able to become commentators either after retirement.nafees iqbal can be an exception. but if you look at the retired players like akram,nannu,faruq,they are all doing business in different sectors,and they are doing well.they may not be well educated,but they have face value.they are celebreties.so when they retire it is much easier for them to start business or engage themselves in something else.plus now a days,they get endorsements,which they can continue long after retirement.so donít worry about them.they will do just fine.