facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 29, 2016, 07:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey
Default BPL has exposed the quality of our batsmen in T20

Every t20 tournament usually has good matches with high scores. BPL has a plethora of low scores. Almost every match you see scores of around 130-140 which is not enough.

Obviously international batsman have struggled too, but having watched the BPL quite a bit I realized that our local batsman have no clue how to score in T20s. Just some of the flaws:

1) poor strike rotation: just because it's t20 doesn't mean that you have to score only boundaries. The best T20 batsman in the world right now is virat with an average of 57! He is no big hitter and no premeditated shots in his repertoire. When he struggles he tries to rotate the strike. Our batsmen aren't taught the importance of singles at all.

2) trying to settle in the powerplay overs. Powerplay overs are the best time to bat. Hard ball only two deliveries outside the 30 yard and you don't need to be a hard hitter to score big runs. But our players don't try to loft the ball over the fielder. They play dots and then try to hit a six! You don't need to hit a six you can get 4s on offer if you try. Trying to go too hard at the beginning will not help you.

3) not using feet against spinners. Batsman barely seem to be eager to use their feet to meet the ball and hit it down the ground or play lofted shots.

4) comical rbw

5) picking the wrong bowler to attack: how hard is it to understand that a RHB should always take charge against offies and lhb again left arm spinners.

Old November 29, 2016, 08:09 AM
ODI Cricketer

Yet 8 out of 10 top run scorers are from BD.
Old November 29, 2016, 08:15 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shabbir and Taskin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket4All
Old November 29, 2016, 08:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

BPL has exposed how badly we need to get out of mirpur and never play, when it comes to t20!!!
Old November 29, 2016, 08:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket4All
I knew that comment was going to come soon.

But think about it, 40 percent of the players is foreign players. And our boys are supposed to know the conditions better than the foreigners because.

And you can't only go by stats. How many matches have you watched? I have watched 90 percent of the matches and I saw severe shortcomings among the local players.

I am impressed by Maruf tho. But as for the rest I have been nothinf but disappointed:

-Soumya
-Liton
-hasanuzzaman
-majid
-al Amin
-Rony
-Kapali

Anyways I think it has to do with coaching. Our players aren't coached the proper ways to go about building a T20 innings.
Old November 29, 2016, 09:52 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Porterfield,Mushy,Rogers

Isn't this good??

They fail, they review, the learn and they improve. It'll take time but it'll happen.

Anyway it shouldnt be a surprise, despite huge improvements in ODI's and Tests its clear that BD are still a pretty poor t20 side. But once the BPL continues this will gradually change
Old November 29, 2016, 11:40 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHRAM
I knew that comment was going to come soon.

But think about it, 40 percent of the players is foreign players. And our boys are supposed to know the conditions bet

-Soumya
-Liton
-hasanuzzaman
-majid
-al Amin
-Rony
-Kapali

Among them whom do you deserve to be in top???
Soumya, Kapali, Liton???
S.sarker is in bad form since long!!! Kapali left his golden days long ago!!! Liton is not playing that well to be topped the list!!!
Overall BD players are doing fine!!!
There was a time when in top ten no Bangladeshi could enter!! Though only 2/3 foreign players were allowed to play in playing eleven in our leagues!!!
Old November 29, 2016, 12:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donal C
Isn't this good??

They fail, they review, the learn and they improve. It'll take time but it'll happen.

Anyway it shouldnt be a surprise, despite huge improvements in ODI's and Tests its clear that BD are still a pretty poor t20 side. But once the BPL continues this will gradually change
Oh don't you know that BD players don't even learn?

I agree that players can only improve from here onwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmOr
Among them whom do you deserve to be in top???
Soumya, Kapali, Liton???
S.sarker is in bad form since long!!! Kapali left his golden days long ago!!! Liton is not playing that well to be topped the list!!!
Overall BD players are doing fine!!!
There was a time when in top ten no Bangladeshi could enter!! Though only 2/3 foreign players were allowed to play in playing eleven in our leagues!!!
not asking them to be at the top but surely those 3 you mentioned have the ability to atleast score more runs than someone like Farhad Reza! (soumya scored more runs but Reza has better average and has scored crucial runs in wins which soumya didnt)

and basically its not only about individual performance. It seems as a team the players dont know how to construct an innings. Teams should try to score 45-ish runs in the PP and 40 runs in the last 4. Teams just lose their way in the middle.

Lets be honest, the pitches are good enough for batting. But batting sides haven't done well and there really has not been any exceptional bowling either. Just overall poor batting and not down to skill but poor strategy
Old November 29, 2016, 01:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Miler/warner/Ryder/maxweL

it proved mahmudullah riad is the most improved and most important player of our current set up. he is definitely big match performer
Old November 29, 2016, 02:12 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

too harsh this thread
Old November 29, 2016, 02:39 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Complaining is life in BC these days.
Old November 29, 2016, 03:00 PM
Cricket Guru

Geez give it a rest, how many more threads are you going to have complaining about whats going on in or about the BPL.

These threads are borderline kdpp status now

Last edited by NoName; November 29, 2016 at 08:47 PM..
Old November 29, 2016, 08:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

Pathetic thread. Don't forget BPL has given us players like Shabbir, Taskin and now potential stars like Mehedi Maruf.

It is not about the quality of the batsmen. Mithun had an average of 123 at some point, that is more than Kohli's average last season. I think you can compare your batsmen with other batsmen to see where they stand. Players like Mahmudullah has one fifty stands almost at 5th ranking, Tamim has top scored with more than 300 runs this BPL season only, Shabbir the Bangladeshi has scored a breathtaking century and is the only century this season.

If you want to complain there are always areas to find complains. You can complain about the pitch and how we are stuck in Dhaka. You can complain about how the field is looking so dead because of consistent matches.

This is BPL 4 and I believe IPL has had 9 seasons. Big bash has had atleast 5 and this will be the 6th. This is the primary domestic competition in Bangladesh there is no doubt about that. Everyone in Bangladesh waits for this year round, and at this point of time, the BCB just wants to keep it going for that reason only. But the success will depend on other logistical reasons, like playing in other cities, playing in batting friendly pitches, campaigning and marketing during the off season peak. Look how Knight Rider is posting on their facebook pages days after IPL has ended, Big bash is advertised with a count down from 50 days. These are the areas we should talk about more, not just criticize blindly.
Old November 29, 2016, 10:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Complaining about the pitch and the centralization is beyond our help. We are at the end of a day a country with limited facilities once we move out of Dhaka.

I am just worried about our T20 batting. I don't recall Bangladesh doing well with bat in T20Is against non-minnows for quite a while. We struggled against Aus, India, Pak this year whilst demolished against NZ.

I feel that we need more than one T20 tournament a year. Ideally, have a 4 team competition with only local cricketers so that can help keep our players in the mix as far as T20 is concerned
Old November 29, 2016, 11:02 PM
Cricket Legend

As of now 9 of the top 10 scorers in BPL are Bangladeshi's.

It was 5 out of 10 in BPL 2015.

6 out of 10 in BPL 2, and 1 out of 10 in BPL 1. Yes in BPL 1, only Shakib made the top 10.

So if there is no progress in our batting then, we might as well give up playing cricket today itself.
Old November 30, 2016, 02:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Thats good Jeesh,but does say a lot about the overseas batsmen chosen.
No batsmen like Brad Hodge,Luke Wright or David Hussey.
Old November 30, 2016, 02:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh
As of now 9 of the top 10 scorers in BPL are Bangladeshi's.

It was 5 out of 10 in BPL 2015.

6 out of 10 in BPL 2, and 1 out of 10 in BPL 1. Yes in BPL 1, only Shakib made the top 10.

So if there is no progress in our batting then, we might as well give up playing cricket today itself.
Not talking about skill but strategy. Look at my OP, i didn't emphasize on ramps, or powerful shots.

I am talking about urgency to rotate the strikes, choosing the right bowler to attack, using feet. And lets be honest, how many world class batsman are playing in the league right now?

Where are the world class top order bats? Yes there are quality players in the mix but many of them aren't even playing whole tourney.

Once again bringing up stats don't help. You have to watch the matches actually.

Many of you are criticizing me without watching any of the matches really. The pitches are ultra flat and yet teams aren't scoring 160+ often. Even a hack like Farhad reza is winning matches for his team with his batting at the end overs.
Old November 30, 2016, 02:57 AM
Cricket Guru

Just a few days ago you were saying Dhaka pitches were crap for batting and now you're saying they've been ultra-flat

Last edited by NoName; November 30, 2016 at 03:35 AM..
Old November 30, 2016, 02:58 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

I think the National team players and the frindge players in contention did pretty good this tournament. We saw Mushfiq play well at the start of the tournament, Shabbir score a t20 hundred, Ryad delivering consistently,, Shakib putting up decent performances here and there, Mosaddek playing pretty well, Anamul also playing pretty well. From the fringe players Nafees played very well. So overall a lot of positives
Old November 30, 2016, 03:16 AM
Cricket Legend

If you look at past tournaments, the usual big scorers are there in this current edition-Sanga, Shehzad, Jamshed, Samuels, Dwayne Smith, Ten Doeschate. Shoaib Malik, Umar Akmal not big scorers in BPL, but they are quality-havent found their feet.

Amongst missing who have performed well in past tournaments are Hodge, Dilshan, Simmons, Roy, Pollard, Brendan Taylor, Azhar Mahmood. But cant say we are really missing much.

So either our bowling quality is on the up, or our local batsmen are taking away the limelight-which is great news.
Old November 30, 2016, 03:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHRAM
Not talking about skill but strategy. Look at my OP, i didn't emphasize on ramps, or powerful shots.

I am talking about urgency to rotate the strikes, choosing the right bowler to attack, using feet. And lets be honest, how many world class batsman are playing in the league right now?

Where are the world class top order bats? Yes there are quality players in the mix but many of them aren't even playing whole tourney.

Once again bringing up stats don't help. You have to watch the matches actually.

Many of you are criticizing me without watching any of the matches really. The pitches are ultra flat and yet teams aren't scoring 160+ often. Even a hack like Farhad reza is winning matches for his team with his batting at the end overs.
I think if you rephrase the title of the thread it ll make better sense.

Those issues you point are valid. Strike rotation, running between wicket, decision making all need correcting.

But in general our guys have done exceptionally well, much better compared to previous editions.
Old November 30, 2016, 03:33 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Those issues you point are valid. Strike rotation, running between wicket, decision making all need correcting.
Those issues aren't even BPL specific either, its wholly evident in our international outings. Our woes in t20s hasn't been 'exposed' by the BPL, it has always been there for anyone paying attention or watching how we bat in this format normally.
Old November 30, 2016, 07:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I think if you rephrase the title of the thread it ll make better sense.

But in general our guys have done exceptionally well, much better compared to previous editions.
The thing is individual performances are good but not as a team.

I was watching Rajshahi batting today. They were 30-0 in 3 overs now 50-3 in 8.2 deliveries and the batsman got out to ordinary deliveries. And don't be surprised tk see the number of dots in between.

I just don't like how our players treat T20s. There is no urgency to rotate strike. Absolutely none.

And no one has even tried to emphasize on it.
Old November 30, 2016, 07:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Lewis batted well last night,put Shakib in a strong position 2 come out and play his natural game.
By stats yes Bangladeshi batsmen doing better,true.
But middle of the summer its hard to get players from sides as they want to play test cricket.
Glenn Maxwell case in point he wants the no 6 position in the Aussie team.Plays T20 usually in off season in India and England,maybe USa if they get their league going in our off season.
Its all about timing,you missed out on kevin Pieterson as he is playing in s Africa and commentating in Australia.
Old November 30, 2016, 10:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName
Those issues aren't even BPL specific either, its wholly evident in our international outings. Our woes in t20s hasn't been 'exposed' by the BPL, it has always been there for anyone paying attention or watching how we bat in this format normally.
Absolutely correct! These basic fundamental issues hold us back not just in T20, but also ODI's.