facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports > FIFA World Cup Soccer 2014 (Archive)

Old July 5, 2014, 09:27 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Default Ugly side of the beautiful game

It has been going on from the inception.

(*&%^ referee and lines men didn't do the job from the beginning. The way Naymer was taken out there should be a criminal charge. The way James were tackled every time he touched the ball, that was insane.

My World Cup is over already. May be Naymer's career is over as well.

Old July 5, 2014, 10:49 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Neymar's career isn't over. His injury doesn't require surgery but he will need to immobilize it. He's expected to recover within 3 weeks.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28173132
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old July 5, 2014, 01:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
Neymar's career isn't over. His injury doesn't require surgery but he will need to immobilize it. He's expected to recover within 3 weeks.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28173132
6 weeks if you want to be safe.

And I have to say, the way players from Mexico, Chile, and Colombia went after Neymar was reminiscent of Pele being fouled off at the 1966 WC. And we all recall what happened then, don't we?

Even Messi hasn't been targeted anywhere near as horribly as Neymar was. In many ways, Fred's theatrical fall to claim a penalty in the first game has worked against Brazil: the coaches of opposing teams have pressured the referees not to allow Brazil to claim such "easy" fouls, and then taken advantage of that to go after Neymar.
Old July 5, 2014, 01:38 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

I'd like to be a bit more optimistic with history here. The previous World Cup in Chile in 1962. Pele succumbed to injury but Garrincha stepped up to guide Brazil to their second title. Not suggesting that Hulk is as good as Garrincha, he isn't, but maybe he and Oscar can step up to deliver their sixth. Maybe Fred will find form in the semifinal the way Higuain did today. 7+9+11 = 10 can happen in this tournament also. It's a funny game.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old July 5, 2014, 03:52 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

IDK why people are overreacting to this. Other than the fact that he'll miss rest of the finals, the injury itself isn't that severe. Brazil was going after James too. He didn't get a single call. And by the look of it it doesn't look intentional at all. There was no extra kick motion on the legs. Defender jumped for the ball, Neymar jumped back.
Old July 5, 2014, 04:01 PM
Cricket Legend

I'd be a tad less inclined to fault Zuniga if it weren't for (i) his own admission that he was going for Neymar to "protect the jersey/flag," and his obvious/intentional studs-up foul on Hulk's knee. Cynical obstruction/tackle/fouls are part of the game, but Zuniga's lunges seemed willfully designed to cause damage.

Plus, in case it wasn't obvious, Sohel, Mijan (Tigers' Eye) and I are old Brazilian supporters.
Old July 5, 2014, 11:45 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
IDK why people are overreacting to this. Other than the fact that he'll miss rest of the finals, the injury itself isn't that severe. Brazil was going after James too. He didn't get a single call. And by the look of it it doesn't look intentional at all. There was no extra kick motion on the legs. Defender jumped for the ball, Neymar jumped back.
The main problem in that game was referee was so inconsistent. James got booked the first time he went after somebody, but multiple players from brazil and columbia committed enough fouls by than and didnt to get a yellow card. It doesn't take too much for the referee to make a point. That ref took so long to give out his first yellow card. If he was a little harsh earlier with regards to handing out some warning, I think less fouls would have committed.

For example, there was no reason for Thiago Silva to run into the Columbian goal keeper, specially since he was already on a yellow card. I think he did it because he thought he could get away with it due to the ref being so lenient.
Old July 6, 2014, 09:33 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Yesterday against Messi, the Belgians didn't leave any think to the imagination on what was their intention.
+++
Dear Commish,
Over reaction? You must not have any back problem yet. Hope you never see that. I can tell you first hand, without them steroid injections it is insanely painful. We are talking about knee on bertebra. Luckily the damage is not career ending (Which it could have been - matter of inches).
+++
Mama,
Play dekhlei bhujha jai what his intention was. Luckily Brazil went through. Or else he would have needed military/secrect service protection.