facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 6, 2019, 11:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Default Bangladesh Totally Exposed This World Cup. 4th Best Team in Asia.

Bd team management and fans alike tend to live in their bubbles, thinking only their team will improve while the rest of the world will just sit back and watch.

Not the case at all. Deep down inside, the team think tank was hoping that the experience of the "over the hill 4 + Shakib" would rescue them. But they found out very quickly that in the modern game:

Tamim and Dullah are too slow. They have experience, but experience of losing. And they showed that to be the case once again. That's two our of the over the hill 4, straight disqualified!

Rahim is good with the bat, but won't give up the gloves, hence causing the team a fielding handicap. It's like having a huge hole in your roof.

Mash's experience too, counted for absolutely nothing. Toothless bowling. You need to make way for new guys like Shaheen Shah Afridi to do what they do. Even if they have very little experience, they deserve the chance to make a name for themselves. Am elder statesman cannot hog a position in the XI forever.

Shakib did very well. But Shakib is a very good number 2. He was hoping for one of the "over the hill 4" to have the type of performance that he did, and then he could finish off the opponent by rounding off the edges. But that didn't happen. And thus we couldn't even get past 3 wins.

If I am in the other camp (one of the other ICC members), I am thinking:

Praise Rahim more. His fans love him, they will turn against their own defending him quoting our quotes saying how good we think he is. ENSURE AT ANY COST, he stays behind the stumps. And thus Bd countinues to be a handicapped team. 2nd 4th best team in Asia. And 7, possibly going on 8.

Go after their toothless opening bowlers. If possible, extend the Rahim strategy to Mash, though his time does seem to be nearing towards the end. But yes, IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, please ensure he stays there so 20 wicket M'Fizz, or special skillset options like S'Din never have an ace as a bowling partner. While for most countries, the captain is the best player, or most involved player, let Bd continue to have one that is neither of the two!

Old July 6, 2019, 11:39 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

We are the most over hyped team in Asia. I thought it was Afgans but no.
Old July 6, 2019, 12:30 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Kohli

C'mon don't diss yourself. Bangladesh had some very good games but lost a few close wins. But the match against Pak was a let down.
Old July 6, 2019, 02:47 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Oh no we are about to become the 8th team of this WC.
Old July 6, 2019, 03:12 PM
Cricket Guru

Aftermath of a WC is when you forget about who is better than who, and start fresh again. That's what India did after 2007 and went on win 2011; that's what England did after 2015 and have become the team they're now.

I am not worried about whether we end up being 7th or 8th this WC - it's meaningless either way now. My worry is which direction we're heading in two weeks when we start our international campaign again, when we travel to Lanka for our next ODI series.

If Mash can turn the team around and win the series there, if he shows the common sense to drop Sabbir the Diva, and use the opportunity to bring in a new talent like Yasir, I will still forgive him for our WC disaster.
Old July 6, 2019, 03:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

^If Mash is still there after the world cup that would mean the nightmare isn't close to being over yet
Old July 6, 2019, 03:34 PM
Club Cricketer

Bangladesh team only saved by Shakib otherwise the Pakistan match showed where BD team stands.
Old July 6, 2019, 03:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Afg bowling is strong. If their batsmen continue to improve and gain experience, in the next world cup we could easily fall behind them
Old July 6, 2019, 03:38 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Eshen bhai tumake Dubai er shobche expensive restaurant er burger khawabo if Bangladesh Cricket Team makes it semi final for next WC.

Subject to: life, affordability 😂
Old July 6, 2019, 03:44 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
^If Mash is still there after the world cup that would mean the nightmare isn't close to being over yet
I disagree. Mash has never been a good option in places like England, SA, or NZ. But his skills make him as good as any other top pacers in the world in subcontinental conditions. I am ok with him continue for now, wait till next home series (namely BD vs World next March), to retire with a more dignified performance.
Old July 6, 2019, 03:54 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
Eshen bhai tumake Dubai er shobche expensive restaurant er burger khawabo if Bangladesh Cricket Team makes it semi final for next WC.

Subject to: life, affordability 😂
faltu kotha, vhua kotha, Ami tou Englande Chilam amake tou kichui khawan nai
Old July 6, 2019, 04:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Is the the greatest flop from a cricket side? I would say so.

Do our fans have no shame, picking on SL and Pak, and even new babies Afg, as if we are defending champs or something?
Old July 6, 2019, 04:58 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
faltu kotha, vhua kotha, Ami tou Englande Chilam amake tou kichui khawan nai
Tumi jokhon Chila heavy exiting chilo. Bangladesh team o bhalo kehelthe silo. Tumi desh charle aar amader team er obosta o shuchonio holo.
Old July 6, 2019, 06:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
I disagree. Mash has never been a good option in places like England, SA, or NZ. But his skills make him as good as any other top pacers in the world in subcontinental conditions. I am ok with him continue for now, wait till next home series (namely BD vs World next March), to retire with a more dignified performance.
This is not true. Yes we used to give Mash a lot of credit for his inspirational leadership, but at the end of the day a leader cannot truly inspire if he is holding the team back on the field. In 2015 World Cup which was played in Aus/NZ he led from the front and was actually one of our best bowlers on more than one occasion. Here's his figures against oppositions:
AFG: 9-2-20-3 (Best bowler)
SCO: 8-0-60-1
ENG: 10-0-48-2 (2nd best bowler)
SL: 10-0-53-0 (Best econ)
IND: 10-0-69-1

Now he has become a total liability. Due to his busted kneecaps he cannot field. If a bowler is able to create pressure on the batsman by bowling dot balls all the batsman needs to do is hit the ball a meter away from him and he won't even move. And it's best not to talk about his bowling. As players age no matter how great they were in the past, and lose their ability to perform they also lose their ability to inspire.
Old July 6, 2019, 06:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Pilot

No. 8 in WC rankings - what a shame. Ki ar boli ... koi jey mukh dekhai ...
Old July 6, 2019, 06:54 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
This is not true. In 2015 World Cup which was played in Aus/NZ he led from the front and was actually one of our best bowlers on more than one occasion. Here's his figures against oppositions:
AFG: 9-2-20-3 (Best bowler)
SCO: 8-0-60-1
ENG: 10-0-48-2 (2nd best bowler)
SL: 10-0-53-0 (Best econ)
IND: 10-0-69-1
Only match he played in NZ during WC'15 was against Scotland, and he was pretty expensive there. The other matches were played in Australia where your skills with slower balls/ability to swing does pay dividend often.

Quote:
Now he has become a total liability. Due to his busted kneecaps he cannot field. If a bowler is able to create pressure on the batsman by bowling dot balls all the batsman needs to do is hit the ball a meter away from him and he won't even move. And it's best not to talk about his bowling. As players age no matter how great they were in the past, and lose their ability to perform they also lose their ability to inspire.
Like I said earlier, with his busted knee caps, he's been one of the best pacers in the world in subcontinental conditions. Here are the stats for last three years -

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=bowling

The guys is inspirational for reasons, but can't do miracle in all conditions.
Old July 6, 2019, 07:02 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Only match he played in NZ during WC'15 was against Scotland, and he was pretty expensive there. The other matches were played in Australia where your skills with slower balls/ability to swing does pay dividend often.

Like I said earlier, with his busted knee caps, he's been one of the best pacers in the world in subcontinental conditions. Here are the stats for last three years -

half of the matches he played in this tournament were in slow pitches and he did jack..he is done and there is no future with him in BD team anymore even if he gives MOS performance in SL

Old mash would have realized that and put BD teams interest ahead of everything but just like everyone else in BD who joins politics he is now the new mash. The put my need ahead of everything politician
Old July 6, 2019, 07:12 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

Worst performance ever!! It didn't matter in 2007 or 2011 - because we were 'NEW', 'Young', 'minnow' - not anymore! this was a disaster!!! The players need to grow up and own up to their duties.

Mashrafee should be SACKED!
Old July 6, 2019, 07:31 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roni_uk
Worst performance ever!! It didn't matter in 2007 or 2011 - because we were 'NEW', 'Young', 'minnow' - not anymore! this was a disaster!!! The players need to grow up and own up to their duties.

Mashrafee should be SACKED!
Yes, it was Mashrafe's fault that we're no more a minnow, like we used be before he took charge; that we're no longer a disunited team under some hotshot with anger management issues, or under some crybaby.

I will be surprised if Shakib lasts as the captain till 2023.
Old July 6, 2019, 07:38 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

We bowled out Pakistan for 105 in the first match and still finished in 9th spot.
Old July 6, 2019, 07:48 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
We bowled out Pakistan for 105 in the first match and still finished in 9th spot.
At least you can console yourself that you didn't have the best prep for WC or go there with your best set of players due to politics/finance. Pybus by himself caused plenty of damage leading to WC, in whichever role he had with WICB.
Old July 6, 2019, 08:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Yes, it was Mashrafe's fault that we're no more a minnow, like we used be before he took charge; that we're no longer a disunited team under some hotshot with anger management issues, or under some crybaby.

I will be surprised if Shakib lasts as the captain till 2023.
You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

We are grateful to Ash for instilling belief in us that we could win against big dogs once in a blue moon. We are grateful to Mash for his captaincy when it was most required to graduate from minnowhood. The primary reason his leadership was essential is because he showed us how to win with more regularity especially in the subcontinent. Now we have enough players in the squad that can give us a shot at winning games even if we're missing a key player or two. To get to the next level it's more important now to ensure we have only performers and not passengers. Going by the most recent performances unfortunately he's the biggest passenger of them all. Let him leave the game with dignity before he becomes the villain like many would argue happened to Ash.
Old July 6, 2019, 08:46 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
half of the matches he played in this tournament were in slow pitches and he did jack..he is done and there is no future with him in BD team anymore even if he gives MOS performance in SL

Old mash would have realized that and put BD teams interest ahead of everything but just like everyone else in BD who joins politics he is now the new mash. The put my need ahead of everything politician
May be he is selfish, may be he should have realized after CT'17 that he was not the right man to lead the team in the WC.

But he stayed for two more years - he held the team together when players couldn't get along with Hathuru anymore, when Hathuru left, when we didn't have a head coach for more than a year, when we got a coach in Rhodes who is there only to collect paycheck for his presence. If he was not so selfish, I guess he would know better and leave the team all to Shakib to manage.
Old July 6, 2019, 08:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Run this same query for the last 12 months and you'll see Mash's avg is above 40 instead of 28. This stat is more relevant because my argument is that father time has eventually caught up with him and unfortunately he's no longer the miracle man he used to be
Old July 6, 2019, 09:06 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Run this same query for the last 12 months and you'll see Mash's avg is above 40 instead of 28. This stat is more relevant because my argument is that father time has eventually caught up with him and unfortunately he's no longer the miracle man he used to be
Fair point - though 40 average is not the worst thing in the world (for example, Southee has 40+ average for last two years, but still part of NZ team), it's a good indicator time is getting close to retire and to look for a better option. If we had the head coach situation sorted out, trust me, I would jump in the "Let Shakib be the captain" bandwagon as well. Unfortunately, I still have pretty bad memories what a mess Shakib made when we had a passive coach to look over him.