facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 29, 2003, 02:23 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza
Default BD-Namibia 5th One day

So far this is what I found...

BD bat first.

Scored 274 all out in 47.4 overs.

Al Shahriar scored 177.
Sumon Scored 39.
Hannan Shah scored 18.

[Edited on 29-1-2003 by Rajputro]

Old January 29, 2003, 02:32 PM
Club Cricketer

Default source?

where did you get this information? why arent the full scores available yet? it should be around 10:30pm in namibia by now.

anyway, if that information is correct, it looks like we found some support in at least one top order batsman. the lack of a solid partnership--i.e. the loss of all wickets against a team such as namibia--is still disturbing, imho.

awaiting the scorecard....
Old January 29, 2003, 02:49 PM
Administrator

ittefaq
Old January 29, 2003, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Prothom Alo also confirms it. However, according to them, Namibia scored 200 runs in 35 overs. They need 75 runs from 15 overs with 7 wickets in hand.

Seems like another defeat is coming.
Old January 29, 2003, 04:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Default These guys are f***ing useless

F*** this s***!!!

What the f*** is wrong with these f***ing idiots?

One guy scores 177, and the rest of the f***ing team is a flop. What's the f***ing use of having top individual performances, when we completely f*** up as a team?

This is truly f***ing annoying.
Old January 29, 2003, 04:03 PM
Club Cricketer

I think I might pass on the $450 for the Dish world cup package.

Old January 29, 2003, 04:35 PM
Club Cricketer

Al-Shahriar finally put Bangladesh's batting blues to rest when he blasted 177 in the fifth and final limited-overs match against Namibia at the Wanderers yesterday.
Although the details of the stylish opener's towering knock were not available, it was learnt over telephone that Bangladesh scored 274 before being all out in 47.4 overs.

It was the tourists' highest total in five games in Namibia. But the visitors missed the opportunity to score 300-plus because of a stunning collapse in the last five overs.

Habibul Bashar with 39 was the other notable run-getter in a match where the home team almost overhauled the total.

It was learnt that the home team after being well-placed at 202-3 at the end of 35 overs, fell agonisingly eight runs short. Bangladesh won the series 4-1.

Both teams will head to South Africa on Friday to compete in the eighth ICC World Cup.

Old January 29, 2003, 04:44 PM
Cricket Legend

After scoring 274, we won by only 8 runs! We should have thrashed Namibia in this game. Just goes to show that there isn't much of a gap between Bangladesh and Namibia. It is actually closer than 4-1 would suggest!
Old January 29, 2003, 04:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Default bizarre scorecard

sounds like a batting collapse on both teams, our was probably more "stunning". i still have doubts about rokon scoring 177 out of 274 until i see a scorecard. at least this will help the top order's averges a bit. but what happened to the bowling. if they let namibia score 260+, what will they do against the test teams?
Old January 29, 2003, 05:01 PM
Banned

Given the very "bizarre" scoring pattern associated with each game, maybe it will not be useful trying to read too much into the performance(s), or lack thereof.

It is scary, I will admit ! The '99 wc team beat (I believe) 5 of the 7 county teams it played against. And that good form was reflected in the cup.

Maybe playing against Namibia got them bored ? I had warned against complacency even before the tour - not being serious would lead to fall in form. The bowlers stand most to be impacted, since the batsmen are already in the gutter.

Hopefully, they are atleast getting settled with the culture/soil of South(ern) Africa.
Old January 29, 2003, 05:21 PM
Club Cricketer

The WC99 team beat 2 out of 3 county teams.

They almost made a complete mess against Scotland. 2 lucky escapes saved us - 1. Nannu being dropped at the slips for 3, and 2. Scotlands rent-a-player Gavin Hamilton being run out in a freakish accident ..
Old January 29, 2003, 07:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Also, we were definitely going to lose the last warm-up game against Middlesex had the rain, and hence the D/L method not saved us. I was at that match, and we got very lucky. The only match that we played well in was at Northampton against Pakistan. I was at Chelmsford for the first game against NZ, and we looked completely overwhelmed. Probably the occasion, we should have bowled first. Then we played some poor games against WI and Australia, but in our defense, I have to say, those games were played in freezing temperatures, especially the game against WI at Cardiff. Scotland was a lucky escape for the reasons Handle pointed out. And that leaves us with Pakistan. All in all, we won two games but it wasn't a great world cup (Pakistan aside).
Old January 29, 2003, 07:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Scorecard

Bangladesh in Namibia, 2002/03, 5th One-Day Match
Namibia v Bangladeshis
Wanderers Cricket Ground, Windhoek
29 January 2003 (50-over match)

Result: Bangladeshis won by 9 runs
Series: Bangladeshis wins the 5-One-Day Match series 4-1

Toss: Namibia
Umpires: J Luck and H Venter
Man of the Match: Al Sahariar
Man of the Series: Mohammad Rafique

Bangladeshis innings (50 overs maximum) R B 4 6
Hannan Sarkar lbw b BL Kotze 18 27 3 0
Al Sahariar c Keulder b BL Kotze 177 145 15 7
Ehsanul Haque c Keulder b BL Kotze 6 30 0 0
Habibul Bashar c Murgatroyd b SF Burger 39 50 3 0
Tushar Imran run out (SF Burger) 1 4 0 0
Khaled Mahmud c DB Kotze b BL Kotze 6 8 0 0
Mohammad Rafique c Keulder b BL Kotze 2 6 0 0
Alok Kapali not out 6 5 0 0
*+Khaled Mashud lbw b SF Burger 2 3 0 0
Mashrafe Mortaza c Murgatroyd b Snyman 6 9 0 0
Manjural Islam lbw b Snyman 1 2 0 0
Extras (b 1, lb 4, w 3, nb 2) 10
Total (all out, 47.4 overs) 274

FoW: 1-59, 2-107, 3-233, 4-242, 5-251,
6-259, 7-259, 8-264, 9-272, 10-274.

Bowling O M R W
LJ Burger 9 0 59 0
Snyman 8.4 0 54 2
BL Kotze 10 0 38 5
SF Burger 10 1 43 2
AJ Burger 3 0 25 0
DB Kotze 3 0 22 0
van Rooi 4 0 28 0

Namibia innings (target: 275 runs from 50 overs) R B 4 6
R Walters c Hannan Sarkar b Mohammad Rafique 44 49 5 0
LJ Burger b Alok Kapali 48 54 7 0
AJ Burger lbw b Mohammad Rafique 57 55 5 2
D Keulder run out (Mashrafe Mortaza) 61 75 2 2
BG Murgatroyd c Ehsanul Haque b Mashrafe Mortaza 22 29 1 1
G Snyman c Khaled Mashud b Mashrafe Mortaza 0 3 0 0
*DB Kotze c Khaled Mahmud b Manjural Islam 13 19 2 0
+M van Schoor c Khaled Mashud b Manjural Islam 1 6 0 0
BO van Rooi c Al Sahariar b Manjural Islam 1 2 0 0
SF Burger not out 1 2 0 0
BL Kotze run out 2 5 0 0
Extras (b 8, w 4, nb 2) 14
Total (all out, 49.2 overs) 265

FoW: 1-98, 2-100, 3-202, 4-235, 5-235, 6-253,
7-256, 8-258, 9-258, 10-265.

Bowling O M R W
Manjural Islam 10 1 49 3
Mashrafe Mortaza 10 0 58 2
Mohammad Rafique 10 0 58 2
Alok Kapali 10 1 31 1
Habibul Bashar 4 0 33 0
Khaled Mahmud 5.2 0 38 0

This is pretty bad. These are the scores of our top 6 : 18, 177, 6, 39 and 6. These are the scores of their top 6: 44, 48, 57, 61, 22 and 0. Thats how we wanted our scorecard to look.

The bowling was pretty poor as well, Masri took 2 wickets, but gave away 58 runs in 10 overs, as did Rafique. Monju got three wickets and Kapali was the best in terms of economy. Khaled Mahmud failed with both bat and ball.

Rafique was the Man of the Series.

[Edited on 30-1-2003 by Sham]
Old January 29, 2003, 07:51 PM
Banned

I was wrong, in '99, we played 6 warm up games.

The first 3, against minor counties, were all won by BD.

The next 3, against county teams, were 2/3 in our favor. Who cares if we benefitted from the notorious D/L while playing Middlesex - had we beaten WI in the first ODI, I don't think anybody would have been whinning. Besides, we also beat Essex, the then Benson Hedges champions. We lost against Northamptonshire.

And against Scotland, who cares if one run out made all the difference - that guy should have not been playing for scotland in the first place, in all fairness.

And against Pak, against a team that capitulates to 123 all out in a cup final, what can I say, anything is possible. The Ali Bacher bandwagon is already ugly (Kenya/Zim not safe) - lets not feed his arrogance any more than its needed.

Anyway, my main point was that the '99 team was a fairly well knit unit.
Old January 29, 2003, 09:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Cricinfo Reports

Bangladeshis take a series against Namibia 4-1
Andrew Poolman - 29 January 2003

Namibia surprised friend and foe on Wednesday in the fifth and final match in the Alexander Forbes one-day series, chasing hard after a target of 275 and falling short in the last over by a mere nine runs.

Man of the Match Al Sahariar scored a magnificent 177 runs for the touring side from only 145 balls. The opening batsman was in aggressive mood, hitting his first 50 off only 29 balls and finishing with 15 fours and seven sixes.

If you subtract the ten extras concede by the bowlers, all the other batsmen played a very secondary role, with only Habibul Bashar adding significantly to the 87 runs not scored by Al Sahariar.

Fast bowler Björn Kotzé took the wickets of five of the top seven Bangladesh batsmen to finish with 5/38 off 10 overs.

Bangladesh narrowly clinched a decisive 3-1 series on Sunday with a one wicket win over Namibia, and even the most optimistic supporters of the home team would not have had much hope after Bangladesh were finally bowled out for 274 with 16 balls still left of their innings.

However, the Namibian batsmen put together their best performance of the season, showing a fighting spirit which may stand them in good stead in the World Cup next month.

Riaan Walters (44 off 49) and Louis Burger (48 off 54) put on 98 for the first wicket at almost a run a ball. When both fell within the space of two runs, Jan-Berrie Burger (57 off 55, 5x4, 2x6) and Danie Keulder (61 off 75, 2x4, 2x6) built another big partnership of 102.

Keulder's runout started the rot for Namibia as the home team lost their last five wickets for only 12 runs.

Needing 12 to win off the last over, last pair Sarel Burger and Björn Kotzé was simply left with too much to do.

Mohammad Rafique of Bangladesh was named man of the series following his good allround performances, taking ten wickets in four matches and averaging 41 with the bat, with a highest score of 47 not out and best bowling of 4/19.

Both teams leave for South Africa on Saturday.

© CricInfo Ltd

Old January 29, 2003, 11:19 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default aren\'t we the most bizzare team on earth...???

Wow!! that was thoroughly unexpected. Rokon scored 177 and the rest of the team flopped. And then to lose the match by 8 runs!!I did not think that we could reach such lows. This really sucks!

I suggest that we continue to play Namibia, Kenya and the likes until we learn to beat them comprehensively. Until then, we will continue to be unfit for test-level cricket.
Old January 30, 2003, 12:19 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Actually Piranha, we won the match by 9 runs (according to Criicnfo scorecard).

But you are right in one way though - winning by only 8/9 runs and losing doesn't matter.

I guess Rokon's innings and Sumon's innings was a long time due.

Now if Rokon can do that in the actual world cup, then it will be a lot better performance that is, if he can score 0s and 1s in the first 5 matches and can score a double hundred against Kenya - then it will be a good thing, especially if we win against Kenya - just like in this Namibia tour.

But that is not what Rokon does, he usually flops when something like this is expected off him.
Old January 30, 2003, 12:29 AM
Cricket Legend

seeing an innings of 177 always stirs the cricket soul, and despite rokon's inconsistent form in one dayers, hats off to him. maybe this will help him turn things around.

the bowling line up was confusing. not hving sanwar and ashrful, they had to use bashar for spin and he got hammered. ehsanul was not used. playing mahmud and rafiq togtether doesn't make sense, if they are the only batsmen that score we will lose anyway so we might as well get a better pacer in there. finally it was good to see the pacers get 5 wickets even if they were expensive.

at the end of the day, we can't read much into this at all.

this was a bizarre series to say the least. just proves how bad this team really is, rokon's swansong 177 notwithstanding...
Old January 30, 2003, 10:57 AM
ODI Cricketer

Default err...

Sorry, meant win by 9 runs...thanks for pointing that out...
Old January 30, 2003, 08:20 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿
Default Bowling

Best thing about it, they finished off the last 5 wickets for only 12 runs. That proves that WE CAN do it if we try.
Old January 31, 2003, 02:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

They were in panic mode thinking they were gonna win and collapsed....happens all the time
Old January 31, 2003, 06:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

You win the series 4-1 you're most out of form batsman scores 177 just befoore the World Cup and you're still pesimistic
Old January 31, 2003, 11:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Well...

the rest of the scorecard doesn't make much reading...it's pathetic really...i don't expect much from this team...unfortunately, i think this is the best team we have...says a lot about the standard of our cricket. i'll be praying that we beat canada, and that we manage to put up a fight against Kenya. God be with us for the other matches.
Old February 1, 2003, 05:28 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default DREAM COMING TRUE

No matter what, I am very happy with the results. Of course, one of my own weaknesses is that I look at the broad outlines, not the nitty gritty details.....

Series win at 4-1. That's all. That's enough.

A personal score of 177 in a one day match .... oh that's wonderful. That's maturity in batting. Experience is talking now. We have become experienced as an international cricket team, and this is reflected clearly in the results!!!

I have a dream about Bangladesh cricket. I can clearly see myself getting closer to that dream......

The big teams will look at this performance and will pay due respect to Bangladesh team. Also, they remember last World Cup's match against Pakistan. No one will dare to take us lightly.

And that is exactly how things should be.

Oh yeah........
Old February 1, 2003, 11:40 AM
First Class Cricketer

I think I am pretty happy about the batting score on the 5th match.

Looking at the broader view, Ash didn't bat, Sanwar didn't bat and I think they were loosing interest in batting at the end.

But I also am a little bit worried about captain's bowler rotation strategy. Sheejan wasn't used. And BD still have the problem of using 5th bowler.....Look at the runs they gave as a 5th/6th bowlers!!!!

But in a nutshell we should do well in SA.

My only advice is not to experiment further in the next two practice matches, rather to let them play consistently (ofcourse based on the requirement analysis).

Prohor