facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 26, 2005, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

right now, we have no option but to include him.

comparing him to alok is a joke - alok is a gonner for the time being

Old January 26, 2005, 05:32 PM
ODI Cricketer

This is all about cricket friends!It was Ranas day today.He shined with the cherry today and took the all important catch in the deep to dismiss Taibu of Mashrafee.But Alok Kapali is far better batsmen than Rana.I have seen Rana couple of times,as far his batting is concern it sucks!Thats true that Mashud is the only batsmen in our side who can rotate the strike.Most of our batsmen often plays for too many shots in the air.We have to work hard to take singles and rotate the strike which is very important in ODI.Three left arm spinners in a side(Rafique/Rana/Enamul(Jr.)!!!!!!! Just wondering what would be our final XI in the remaining matches?
Old January 26, 2005, 06:07 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Optimist
Quote:
Originally posted by Sham
are you talking about Khaled Mashud or Mahmud? He is either a grafter or a dasher? I don't know what you are talking about!!
I'm talking aboput Khaled Mashud Pilot and am following him since he was pretty new in the team. If you don't have any idea about that it is probably because you have not seen him bat enough! The only reason he is being sent down the order is that he finds it very difficult to shift the gear! AND CHECK HIS CARRER STRIKE RATE IN ONE INTERNATINALS!

Edited on, January 26, 2005, 6:24 PM GMT, by Optimist.

Edited on, January 26, 2005, 6:25 PM GMT, by Optimist.
Sorry Optimist. I had to poke my nose here. I have been following Pilot's career even before his international debut in mid 90's as we used to hang out together with common friends during early 90's when i used t live in Dhaka. Do you actually know Pilot used to be considered as top order bat for all conquering 'Abahani' in early 90's. For few matches he even opened with 'Samarasekara', probebly the most prolific batsman of premiere cricket history. In case you're about to play down the quality of cricket at that time Nail Fairbrother ( the best ODI finisher at tat time) was the no.4 for Abahani and other teams are filled with international stars too - from Chetan Sharma to Arvind de Silva and Ilahi Bthothers to Arjuna Ranatunga!

Now why Pilot's average went pier shaped even though he was considered reasonably good bat in domestic cricket? Firstly I think, barring initial period of time when he has to concentrate on keeping more to brush off so called wicketkeeper-batsman like Jahangir Alam, who could not catch anything that comes to his way even with a fish-net but happens to be a half-decent bat in pre-ODI era. Now arises the question of wicketkeeper-batsman. Has pilot been ever, till todate, given a role in the team to contribute with the bat? Like he was quoted as saying recently that the team should not be expecting runs from him regularly. And rightly so. He plays in the team as wicketkeeper but fortunately scores runs every now and then. If the think tank want to use him as wicketkeeper bat (in ODIs only) who comes at no.6, i think, he has already played so many quality innings to establish him ready for the role.

As for his average one should remember the concept of wicketkeepers contributing with bats did exist untill late 90's when the one day format game become more competitive. Kalu in 1996 was successful but that was a fluke that luckily stretched far too long for SL. I guess i can safely say untill the rise of A. Gilcrist the concept of wicket keeper batsman has never been on agenda. Pilot's ability to rotate strike will make him a good candidate for no. 6.

Now why I want Pilot to come at 6? 'cause I want a dashing batsman to come at no 7!
Old January 26, 2005, 09:16 PM
First Class Cricketer

Rana is good. he needs to work on his batting more. I mean need to score singles frequently and need to score more 4s if batting at no 6. He must learn to not to waste deliveries.
Old January 27, 2005, 02:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

I know that rana bowled well in the 2nd and 3rd ODI, but he needs to be much more consistent in his bowling if he wants to be a regular. A bit and pieces bowler would only succeed occasionally... I would still prefer genuine bowlers like enamul haq jr in the team.

I would suspect that enamul would be dropped for the fourth ODI, if rafique comes back. I guess he needs to mature a little bit.
Old January 27, 2005, 03:43 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
right now, we have no option but to include him.

comparing him to alok is a joke - alok is a gonner for the time being
I hope u realize that both Alok & Rana r having opportunities because Rafiq is not there. The moment he comes back.. both of them r probably out. (Considering Enamul wont be dropped after just one bad match.)

This is the sole reason for Alok/Rana not finding a place in the team in recent times. Because since the India Series, we have had some new & really dependable entries in the team: Nafis/Aftab/Mashrafee... which almost has filled out the vaccumes in the team.. leaving no room for 'half-chance' players.
Old January 27, 2005, 10:41 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Zephaniah

Sorry Optimist. I had to poke my nose here. I have been following Pilot's career even before his international debut in mid 90's as we used to hang out together with common friends during early 90's when i used t live in Dhaka. Do you actually know Pilot used to be considered as top order bat for all conquering 'Abahani' in early 90's. For few matches he even opened with 'Samarasekara', probebly the most prolific batsman of premiere cricket history. In case you're about to play down the quality of cricket at that time Nail Fairbrother ( the best ODI finisher at tat time) was the no.4 for Abahani and other teams are filled with international stars too - from Chetan Sharma to Arvind de Silva and Ilahi Bthothers to Arjuna Ranatunga!

Now why Pilot's average went pier shaped even though he was considered reasonably good bat in domestic cricket? Firstly I think, barring initial period of time when he has to concentrate on keeping more to brush off so called wicketkeeper-batsman like Jahangir Alam, who could not catch anything that comes to his way even with a fish-net but happens to be a half-decent bat in pre-ODI era. Now arises the question of wicketkeeper-batsman. Has pilot been ever, till todate, given a role in the team to contribute with the bat? Like he was quoted as saying recently that the team should not be expecting runs from him regularly. And rightly so. He plays in the team as wicketkeeper but fortunately scores runs every now and then. If the think tank want to use him as wicketkeeper bat (in ODIs only) who comes at no.6, i think, he has already played so many quality innings to establish him ready for the role.

As for his average one should remember the concept of wicketkeepers contributing with bats did exist untill late 90's when the one day format game become more competitive. Kalu in 1996 was successful but that was a fluke that luckily stretched far too long for SL. I guess i can safely say untill the rise of A. Gilcrist the concept of wicket keeper batsman has never been on agenda. Pilot's ability to rotate strike will make him a good candidate for no. 6.

Now why I want Pilot to come at 6? 'cause I want a dashing batsman to come at no 7!
Nothing to be sorry about, you are entitled to your opinion. FYI I have seen numerous premier league matches from late 80's to mid 90's. Some times I was in the stadium when there were not more than 100 spectators in the whole arena. I have seen them all play at BNS.........Ranatunga, Jayasuriya, Aravinda, Wasim, Neil Fairbrother and offcourse the great Samara! I have seen Samara hitting the bowlers out of the park, I have seen Akram cut down on his pace since the keeper can't collect his bowl, I have seen Fairbrother, Akram and Lipu carry Abahoni; I have seen Aminul Islam taking Mohammedan passed some unbelievable Abahoni totals! Some of my friends who were regular in the stadium during those times also visit this site!

Please check the stats of Rodney Marsh, Alan Knott, Alec Stewart and ofcourse Jeff Dujon and tell me if the concept of wicket-keeper batsmen is new!!! With due respect your opinion about "fortunately he makes some runs" does not make any sense!

Now why I want him to bat at no. 7? Because he will be considered world class at that position. However at no. 6 he will probably be a candidate for the worst no. 6 among test playing countries. In case you don't know, he came to bat at no. 6 agsinst India in the first test. Check the result..........I know it was just one match!

Edited on, January 27, 2005, 3:46 PM GMT, by Optimist.
Old January 27, 2005, 10:43 AM
ODI Cricketer

Enam is more suited to bowling in Tests. He likes to experiment i.e use the crease which causes him to bowl no-balls. In a 10 over spell there is no room to experiment.

We must bare this in mind when his playing in ODI's, which will make him less effective, although a world class player should be able to play both
forms of cricket.

His not world class just yet.

His not just world classs yet