facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 9, 2011, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Default Khaled Mahmud: "A win is not essential now"

Sujon wants the team to rather concentrate on securing lost pride.

More here from the Times of India

Bangladesh win 'not essential', says Mahmud

Some quotes:

Quote:
"A win is not essential now. What we need is at least a good close game with the big teams (like England) so that we can convince people that we know how to play cricket and we have the skills to compete with any side," he said.
And

Quote:
"Our batsmen played wrong and bad strokes especially against West Indies and also against Ireland. They (batsmen) were of no worth," Mahmud said. "Only the bowlers saved Bangladesh from being beaten by Irish."
Read the entire article before commenting please.

Old March 9, 2011, 07:48 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Yeah right. This is why I said at another thread why all they will care about is 200
Old March 9, 2011, 07:57 AM
Banned

isn't scoring 280-300 at ZACS a winning score already?
Old March 9, 2011, 07:57 AM
Administrator

AT least there is that something that KM and JS can agree on. It's not about the win. At least there will be continuity if Sujon replaces Siddons.

Edit: added sarcasm green.
Old March 9, 2011, 08:05 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: da silva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Sujon wants the team to rather concentrate on securing lost pride.

More here from the Times of India

Some quotes:

And

Isn't the World Cup ALL about winning matches any way you can? It's not a beauty contest. No one remembers if you won an ugly match, they only remember if you won anything. World cup wins also affect your ICC ranking, points and therefore whether you progress in the world.
Old March 9, 2011, 08:10 AM
Cricket Legend

I thought we had moved well past the stage where we just wanted to lose respectably. I guess not.

We need guys who want to win, win, win at all cost. Guys like Sujon took our cricket to a certain level (and we should be grateful to them for that), but his loser mentality is of no use to us now.
Old March 9, 2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
AT least there is that something that KM and JS can agree on. It's not about the win. At least there will be continuity if Sujon replaces Siddons.

Edit: added sarcasm green.
Off-topic. Wanted to ask for a long time ... I wonder why I am not able to use colors? Is it somekind of restriction or something else?
Old March 9, 2011, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBW103
Isn't the World Cup ALL about winning matches any way you can? It's not a beauty contest. No one remembers if you won an ugly match, they only remember if you won anything. World cup wins also affect your ICC ranking, points and therefore whether you progress in the world.
Yep. Tell that to the barrackers screaming from the sidelines at the players and the press. IMNSHO, power, greed, nepotism and petty jealousy is driving some of them.

ps. If you don't target a win, you won't win.

Last edited by Zunaid; March 9, 2011 at 08:40 AM..
Old March 9, 2011, 08:28 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:

Some quotes:

And

What a loser!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old March 9, 2011, 08:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Baz

Lost pride diye ki bhorta banai khabo?! We need 2 points dammit!
Old March 9, 2011, 08:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Won't winning do the same thing?
Old March 9, 2011, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib
Won't winning do the same thing?
Shhh. Don't tell everyone the secret.
Old March 9, 2011, 09:04 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abirz
Lost pride diye ki bhorta banai khabo?! We need 2 points dammit!
ya.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old March 9, 2011, 09:06 AM
Cricket Sage

While we ask all not be critical to the team until WC os over, looks like its ok to take cheap shots against BCB (other threads) and critical against ex-players. For me its ok, because I don't beleiev in these kind of free ride. I am just pointing out to the members who agreed to that gag order to be consistent and not apply double standard.

Here is my two cents

ChaCha is now neither a player/captain nor a coach. What he said is as a BD team fan. If he would have said that as a player/captain/coach/manager then I see reason to be cricitcal of his comment.

Some of us may not agree with him, that's fine. We should express that. But there is no point to redecule him.

What he basically said is after batting performance against IRE and WI, first we need to make sure that we can score againt strong team and give a fight, if we win that's great. If we don't still its a step forword restoring fan's confidence about team's capability. This should be first step whether we win or not.

And I completely agree with Him. Win is great, but fist thing first, they need to show better batting performance for the rest of the three games to restore my confidence back to the team's batting capability.

Last edited by Fazal; March 9, 2011 at 09:23 AM..
Old March 9, 2011, 09:08 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Allah r roste ei former crcktr ra koyekdin er jonno ektu chup thakte pare na?
at this stage to qualify for the qf we hv no other alternatives than victories.
Old March 9, 2011, 09:14 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
While we ask all not be critical to the team until WC os over, looks like its ok to take cheap shots against BCB (other threads) and critical against ex-players. For me its ok, because I don't beleiev in these kind of free ride. I am just pointing out to the members who agreed to that gag order to be consistent and not apply double standard.

Here is my two cents

ChaCha is now neither a player/captain nor a coach. What he said is as a BD team fan. If he would have said that as a player/captain/coach/manager then I see reason to be cricitcal of his comment.

Some of us may not agree with him, that's fine. We should express that. But there is no point to redecule him.

What he basically said is after batting performance against IRE and WI, first we need to make sure that we can score againt strong team and give a fight, if we win that's great. If we don't still its a step forword restoring fan's confidence about team's capability. This should be first step whether we win or not.

And I completely agree with Him. Win is great, but fist thing first, they need to show bette
Ya I think that this is what he meant. His wording could have been different but basically he's saying that the team should try to be competitive 1st before we think about winning the match.
Old March 9, 2011, 09:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

I support chacha's view. I liked when Shakib told that a win against WI was not mandatory. A MUST-win tag puts the team under extra pressure. We panicked against WI because of that extra pressure. If the team plays to its potential, win will follow automatically.

chacha's view is different from Sir Jamie Siddons'. JS would be happy (and feel the job done) to score that 240, while chacha is adding the put pressure on the visitors clause. Clearly, he is telling to win the match without taking much pressure.
Old March 9, 2011, 09:26 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

so we can forget about the qf right?
Old March 9, 2011, 09:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

it's time to make your voice heard. jar ja mone ache, serious, non-serious, sarcastic, ulta, palta,siddons lover, siddons hater sob bolen. key na keu apnar kotha publish korbe r apne criket expert hoye uthben mondira bedir moto.
Old March 9, 2011, 09:59 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Very sensible comments by KM.
Old March 9, 2011, 10:04 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

পুরান পাগল ভাত পায়না, নতুন পাগল এর আমদানি...
Old March 9, 2011, 10:04 AM
Cricket Legend

We are cornered and we have no place to hide except to win and qualify or pack it up and this guy says a win is not essential? This is not a regular series. When you come to the WC you aim to win at no matter the cost. Dosen't matter how the win comeS!!!!
Old March 9, 2011, 10:06 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baundule
I support chacha's view. I liked when Shakib told that a win against WI was not mandatory. A MUST-win tag puts the team under extra pressure. We panicked against WI because of that extra pressure. If the team plays to its potential, win will follow automatically.
If thinking of win puts extra pressure on players then Whats the point of playing cricket ? Every game is a must win game. Seriously, how come you do not even think of winning matches before the game starts ?

My signature says all.
Old March 9, 2011, 10:07 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal

Here is my two cents

And I completely agree with Him. Win is great, but fist thing first, they need to show better batting performance for the rest of the three games to restore my confidence back to the team's batting capability.
IMO, this doesn't apply because BCB is a corporation or entity. its a legal enterprise. BCB is not the team. it is merely a figment of the modern day game.

a team is simply the players + coaches, and in the most liberal definition might go on to include the managers and selectors as well.

but the idea that we shouldn't criticize the secretary who answers Lota's phone calls is not what was meant by the "gag order". that, in my opinion only covers the 15 guys who can take the field, and even then should only be in effect on game day.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 9, 2011, 10:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
If thinking of win puts extra pressure on players then Whats the point of playing cricket ? Every game is a must win game. Seriously, how come you do not even think of winning matches before the game starts ?

My signature says all.
Thinking of a win and thinking of it as a mandatory thing are not the same. The team must try to win each and every match but when bad time comes they should not panic thinking that not winning will be the end of the world. The problem is, the match condition can not be always anticipated beforehand. So, when something goes wrong, more emphasis must be put on doing the basic right. The hunger for win is great; but the fear of not-winning is damaging.