facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 2, 2017, 06:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Ireland and Afghanistan Test status to be decided today at ICC meeting.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/c...y/1080634.html

Old February 2, 2017, 10:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Hopefully they get the test status then, they both deserve it.
Old February 2, 2017, 11:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Hope so. This way BD can win some test matches against someone other than Zimbabwe.
Old February 3, 2017, 01:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Will be good with the conference system,2 X 6.
Can't see who would vote against it,even India,why would they.
Anyway Afghanistan an extra vote for them.
Old February 3, 2017, 02:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Some BCB personnel obviously not pleased with the decision

http://www.newagebd.net/article/8326...ye-test-status
Old February 3, 2017, 04:00 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Anybody who plays for BD

Ireland deserves it.
Not sure abt AFG
Old February 3, 2017, 04:25 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Just wondering how this effects Bangladesh cricket if either gets Test status:

- Sounds like 2 tier system will most probably be implemented
- Wonder if this will mean less revenue for BCB
- Bangladesh playing qualifying matches to play in tournaments
Old February 3, 2017, 05:01 AM
Cricket Legend

If this speculation is true then Bangladesh will be in trouble because of the two tier system.
Old February 3, 2017, 05:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Jeesh took time to read the article,it reaked of paranoia.

Its not a 2 tier system its a conference system.
What I understand is you would have 1,3,5,7,9 and ,and in the other group 2,4,6,8,10,12.

Yes their would be less funding for Bangladesh,but as well as every other country.
But on the other hand,the division of funds is being looked at,India,Australia and England would get loss the other 9 would get more.

And in the end aren't we trying to grow test cricket,imagine fans from these nations supporting their sides extra revenue.
Also you can play sides outside your conference,or setting,which happens now.
At the end top of group A plays Top B for the world championship of cricket.

In later years you could add another 2 teams,lets say Scotland Nepal.
Now Nepal and Afghanistan have a big group of fans to pull from.
Old February 3, 2017, 05:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

People want Ireland to get test status should know cricket is not the top 3, even 5, sports in Ireland. They aren't a 3rd world nor war affected, so why their sports gov has not invented in cricket, one should ask. Icc can't give you everything, if your own sporting body of the nation hardly puts anything into the sport, that has one of most popular and mpst amounts of audiences in the world.

Cricket Ireland should push its gov, to develop a cricketing base in the country, then icc money will follow in.

Afg story is different, a war affected nation, but cricket is massive on the huge rise and has most afghans feeling proud again and looking to grow bigger in cricket. Afghan certain can play cricket home matches in UAE for the time and will get decent fans like Pk does especially on weekends.

Cricket is every growing in Afg, is it in Ire? Cricket is making everyone believe in afg, is it in Ireland? NO. That don't mean they can't have test, just showing you the passions ans popularity cricket has in Afg than Ire. And Afg could do well as test nation, icc and cricketing world investment won't be wasted in Afg. Not too sure about Ireland, though. I feel another Zimbo, Kenya type thing where Ire had a good generation of players but present are quite, erm lets say lowly, not that good. Cricket hasn't taken a step up in Ireland despite they did well 2007. My big disappointment in Ire is their Gov seems to have done nothing to improve facilities in cricket.

Last edited by Mas_UK25; February 3, 2017 at 08:05 AM..
Old February 3, 2017, 05:57 AM
Cricket Legend

I disagree cut Ireland loose,they will be another Kenya tomorrow,.
If the ICC gives the same money as the other counties then the sport will develop.
I feel Bangladesh got in on promise ,2nd their support base,3 Asian bloc.
On your logic its **** Ireland,give Nepal the test status.
Old February 3, 2017, 05:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

http://www.unhcr.org/uk/news/latest/...l-ireland.html

Found this today. Maybe Ireland need immigrants and refugees to rival cricket in Ireland.
Old February 3, 2017, 06:48 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Porterfield,Mushy,Rogers

Mas while there is some truth to your comments its quite clear you have zero idea of Ireland, Ireland's culture or CI's efforts in growing the sport here by your comments. Cricket isn't top 3 in NZ I don't think, Rugby League and Union are the top 2, Football is also popular.

Hell I just googled and apparently rugby union, league, football and damn netball are the most popular sports. So already the case is there of a country where cricket isn't exactly a cultural craze yet still popular and sustainable
Old February 3, 2017, 07:15 AM
Cricket Guru

A barrier to Ireland's progress in international cricket is when their players start playing for England.

I can understand Morgan's decision to play for England, but I am guessing the odds of him playing for Ireland again if they get Test status is slim, atleast in the near future.
Old February 3, 2017, 07:21 AM
Cricket Guru

I was wondering something.

Do players from both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland get to represent the Ireland cricket team, like they do for Rugby?? Or how is the setup and what are the laws behind representation?
Old February 3, 2017, 07:24 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnsu
I was wondering something.

Do players from both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland get to represent the Ireland cricket team, like they do for Rugby?? Or how is the setup and what are the laws behind representation?
As in every sport here bar football, the Ireland team represents the entire island. Players from NI have to play for Ireland as the entire island falls under the jurisdiction of Cricket Ireland. No other body has jurisdiction here.

Only reason players have played for England is cricket's retarded eligibility rules which allow any associate cricketer to play for another country. If that was shut Ireland would never lose another cricketer.

Striling/Porterfield/Wilson etc are all from Northern Ireland, whereas the likes of the O Brien's,Dockrell etc are from the ROI
Old February 3, 2017, 07:34 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donal C
As in every sport here bar football, the Ireland team represents the entire island. Players from NI have to play for Ireland as the entire island falls under the jurisdiction of Cricket Ireland. No other body has jurisdiction here.

Only reason players have played for England is cricket's retarded eligibility rules which allow any associate cricketer to play for another country. If that was shut Ireland would never lose another cricketer.

Striling/Porterfield/Wilson etc are all from Northern Ireland, whereas the likes of the O Brien's,Dockrell etc are from the ROI
Thanks for the clarification and insight.

England has been abusing, I mean using a system where they can grab players born in other countries which I think is quite unfair, being the oldest cricket nation.
Old February 3, 2017, 07:47 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas_UK25
People want Ireland to get test status should know cricket is not the top 3, even 5, sports in Ireland. They aren't a 3rd world nor war affected, so why their sports gov has not invented in cricket, one should ask. Icc can't give you everything, if your own sporting body of the nation hardly puts anything into the sport, that has one of most popular and mpst amounts of audiences in the world.

They do get funding from the Sports Council of Ireland, and from the NI and ROI governments, It may pale in comparison to the major sports but they do get funding. In fact they received funding from the government and from an Irish billionaire named Dennis O Brien which is being used to build our first ever performance centre in Dublin

http://www.cricketleinster.ie/news/n...re-for-ireland

As for the sports comment, cricket will never ever be ahead of rugby, football, or the two gaelic sports. That is a fact, won't ever change. That doesn't mean cricket can't continue to grow, of course it can, its entirely possible in Ireland for kids and teens to play several sports and thats what CI are trying to do. As the two gaelic sports are totally amateur its actually possible, if we were to be a FM and a kid was talented, to entice them to cricket as you can be a full professional cricketer in Ireland if you're international quality, something thats not possible in the two gaelic sports, football (get paid a pittance and anyone who wants a career moves to England's lower leagues).

Cricket Ireland should push its gov, to develop a cricketing base in the country, then icc money will follow in.

What do you think they have been doing lol, sitting on their ***?

Here, read these to get an idea of whats going on

http://www.cricketeurope.com/DATABAS...8/002855.shtml

http://www.cricketireland.ie/images/...tegic_Plan.pdf

Afg story is different, a war affected nation, but cricket is massive on the huge rise and has most afghans feeling proud again and looking to grow bigger in cricket. Afghan certain can play cricket home matches in UAE for the time and will get decent fans like Pk does especially on weekends.

Difference is, and I don't mean this in an insulting way, but Afghanistan is helped by the fact that its a basket case. They get money from several international governments, India,Germany, Sweden specifically for cricket development as cricket is a tool for peace. Standard of living is so poor that what is probably not even a livable wage in Ireland is easily enough for players in AFG to be full time cricketers, hence why they have 200 of them. Their culture is also far more friendly to a cricket match length and just to cricket in general.

Cricket is every growing in Afg, is it in Ire? Cricket is making everyone believe in afg, is it in Ireland? NO. That don't mean they can't have test, just showing you the passiona dn popularity cricket has in Afg than Ire. And Afg could do well as test nation, icc and cricketing world investment won't be wasted in Afg. Not too sure about Ireland, though. I feel another Zimbo, Kenya type thing where Ire had a good generation of players but present are quite erm lets say lowly, not that good. Cricket hasn't taken a step up in Ireland despite they did well 2007. My big disappointment in Ire is their Gov seems to have done nothing to improve facilities in cricket.

Who ever said Ireland had more passion than AFG? Nobody did. AFG are clearly a full member in all but name that much is clear, nobody every disputed this. Don't know why you've ranted on about it for so long because not one person ever in history has said that Ireland is a better investment or that Ireland has more passion for cricket.

And Ireland are not a Kenya. We've got several talented cricketers, a FC domestic system now as well. our problem is we don't have the money for an A programme or U19 programme so that talent isn't fully realised. Tucker is a damn fine young batsman who's starting to make our squads, one of the highest run scorers in the U19 WC too. Anders was 2nd highest wicket taker. He hasn't got a chance yet becuase we need the money to expand our domestics, get an A programme and allow him and other talented players to improve.

I just don't understand your argument. If you had any clue about Ireland you'd realise to break into such a market you need the high profile games (especially vs England where twice now we sold 10,000 tickets) and big countries. Will cricket ever be as popular as it is in Asia? Not a hope in hell, but thats irrelevant because despite that we've consistently performed for 10 years, have a solid womens team including a recent BBL winner I might add! (this is actually important in the ICC's eyes, AFG's team have to play in secret thats how backward some parts of the country is), a first ever first class system outside of a full member (AFG will get theirs this week I imagine), an England captain came from here as well, and all this with absolutely **** all help from the ICC. Imagine what we could do if we were given Zimbabwe's level of funding, hell ZC just "indefinitely postponed" their FC system and their full strength bowling unit is getting whitewashed at home by AFG A. Don't even have a domestic system anymore really.
Youve also conveniently ignored CI's successes in private funding. A 10 year deal with Shapoorji Paloonji or whatever the hell the name is, worth 1 million a year to our academy I believe. Their success in marketing cricket as a working man's game in a country where for 100 years the sport was banned I might add, banned up until the 1980's.

And please don't insult my intelligence by pretending you or the ICC care about solid investments, if that were the case Zimbabwe would've been shut down over a decade ago yet nothings been done to veen see that that money is being used for cricket, let alone turning into a solid investment.

Investment talk is all irrelevant anyway, when a team or country proves itself to be good enough, they deserve the chance, and by being given the chance and the money cricket can only grow from it. Telling them to earn money and grow the sport by themselves and simultaneously shrinking the WC and reducing funding is the actions of a retarded governing body which doesnt give a damn about anything bar the Big 3, something which I hope will change.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant, no way will Ireland/Afghanistans test cricket be decided today, it'll be pushed back 5 months more to the next meeting and continue on and on because this is cricket we're talking about/
Old February 3, 2017, 09:43 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

good for them! I hope they get Test status. Its time to expand cricket and create more context.
Old February 3, 2017, 11:15 AM
Test Cricketer

congrats to ireland and afg in advance.
Old February 3, 2017, 11:16 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib,Tamim,Anamul

latest update http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/c...y/1080769.html
Old February 3, 2017, 11:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Kohli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donal C
Mas while there is some truth to your comments its quite clear you have zero idea of Ireland, Ireland's culture or CI's efforts in growing the sport here by your comments. Cricket isn't top 3 in NZ I don't think, Rugby League and Union are the top 2, Football is also popular.

Hell I just googled and apparently rugby union, league, football and damn netball are the most popular sports. So already the case is there of a country where cricket isn't exactly a cultural craze yet still popular and sustainable
Wish you all the best buddy, hope you get the test status
Old February 3, 2017, 05:41 PM

Meanwhile, Afghanistan A is 4-0 up in a 5 match series in Zimbabwe against Zimbabwe A.
Old February 3, 2017, 07:22 PM
Cricket Legend

The feedback is that their is an interest in the conference system,with the 2 additional teams.

Looking back on that article by Bangladesh article,pure paranoia.
Bangladesh scared they either just play the low 1's or even lose to them.

The fact is these 2 teams deserve status,Ireland and Afghanistan done more than Bangladesh did to get test status.
I think Bangladesh,worried they lose money and 2nd lose to these lower teams which is possible.

Zimbabwe don't have a first class system atm,they all on Strike,why should Zimbabwe stay after losing to Afghanistan,and these 2 nations that have basics for a first class system miss out.
Old February 3, 2017, 07:44 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon
Meanwhile, Afghanistan A is 4-0 up in a 5 match series in Zimbabwe against Zimbabwe A.
AFG A full of List A debutants, whereas ZIM A has several players with dozens of actual ODI caps!

Batting first, AFG wins. Batting 2nd AFG wins. 50 over game, AFG wins. Duckworth Lewis, AFG wins. Lost coin toss, AFG wins. Won coin toss, AFG wins.

Comprehensive as it gets.

#OneTeam1Dream