facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 26, 2007, 08:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Thank you Miraz bhai for this beautiful and impressive piece of work.
I do not want to reiterate what I have written when I introduced myself. I have never been so emotionally involved in any cricketer's career as I have been with Ashrafuls's.
My story begins in Sri Lanka where I was living temporarily. I used to watch cricket matches when any team visited SL. Bangladesh was touring in 2001, so I decided to go and watch the test match, even though Bangladesh was having a hard time.
Imagine my amazement when I saw a little fella who I believed was not more than 16 yrs of age came to the crease. My first thought was that he was not going to survive the SL bowling attack. Anyhow Ashraful seemed quite calm and went about his innings very carefully. As I watched him, I could not believe that my heart was thumping and I was praying that this lad succeeds and that he survives the bowling.
As the overs ticked by, he seemed to gain confidence, and when he reached his fifty, the crowd began to applaud and started shouting- "Go Ashraful, go Ashraful," they wanted him to continue because he was playing brilliantly.
Ash began to bat as he was possessed, he came down the wicket and continuously hammered Murali, he was FEARLESS, and with the encouragement of the crowd, he gained more confidence. When he neared his century, the crowd began clapping, I was praying, and when he did reach it, the crowd jumped to their feet and gave him a rousing applaud. He looked so small, then it was announced that he was the youngest player to score a maiden test century. I could not believe that I had seen something of near genius from this little fella and there, I fell madly in love with Ashraful from that day. I could not follow his career very much because i had to live in different parts of the world, but am settled now in Canada, so am able to follow more carefully. He has disappointed me a lot, and the term "Prodigal Son" aptly describes him.
Anyhow, Inshallah, I hope to see him blossom as a better player and good captain.

Old September 26, 2007, 11:39 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Zainab,
Nice story- a historical one- thanks for sharing with us! Ashraful is an amazing talent and hope he realize this and goes on to become one of the greats, insha-allah. He certainly has it in him! Just has to keep his feet well grounded and apply himself with diligence.
Old September 27, 2007, 07:24 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zainab
Thank you Miraz bhai for this beautiful and impressive piece of work.
I do not want to reiterate what I have written when I introduced myself. I have never been so emotionally involved in any cricketer's career as I have been with Ashrafuls's.
My story begins in Sri Lanka where I was living temporarily. I used to watch cricket matches when any team visited SL. Bangladesh was touring in 2001, so I decided to go and watch the test match, even though Bangladesh was having a hard time.
Imagine my amazement when I saw a little fella who I believed was not more than 16 yrs of age came to the crease. My first thought was that he was not going to survive the SL bowling attack. Anyhow Ashraful seemed quite calm and went about his innings very carefully. As I watched him, I could not believe that my heart was thumping and I was praying that this lad succeeds and that he survives the bowling.
As the overs ticked by, he seemed to gain confidence, and when he reached his fifty, the crowd began to applaud and started shouting- "Go Ashraful, go Ashraful," they wanted him to continue because he was playing brilliantly.
Ash began to bat as he was possessed, he came down the wicket and continuously hammered Murali, he was FEARLESS, and with the encouragement of the crowd, he gained more confidence. When he neared his century, the crowd began clapping, I was praying, and when he did reach it, the crowd jumped to their feet and gave him a rousing applaud. He looked so small, then it was announced that he was the youngest player to score a maiden test century. I could not believe that I had seen something of near genius from this little fella and there, I fell madly in love with Ashraful from that day. I could not follow his career very much because i had to live in different parts of the world, but am settled now in Canada, so am able to follow more carefully. He has disappointed me a lot, and the term "Prodigal Son" aptly describes him.
Anyhow, Inshallah, I hope to see him blossom as a better player and good captain.

Cool brother! Always wanted to know from someone who watched that match to describe in brief the way Ashraful scored his first test century. Thanks a lot!

However, it was very disappointing when I was at my at my wit's end for searching that video of 'magic moment', when Ashraful sealed his name in history by becoming the youngest test centurion.
Old September 27, 2007, 08:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by israr
Cool brother! Always wanted to know from someone who watched that match to describe in brief the way Ashraful scored his first test century. Thanks a lot!

However, it was very disappointing when I was at my at my wit's end for searching that video of 'magic moment', when Ashraful sealed his name in history by becoming the youngest test centurion.
Israr, I am a female, very much involved in cricket, love the game.
I have been searching for a video too, I would love to watch it, but cant seem to find one on YOUTube. I dont know if anyone else have a video of that magical innings , they can post it. I am sure that the Bangladesh CB has a video of it.I wish I had a video camera at that time, never thought about it.
Anyhow, I have the memory of it, but wish i can see it again.
I saw his 100 against Australia, but I have the DVD of that match.
Old September 27, 2007, 09:48 AM
Cricket Legend

I think Ashraful lacks something which the great players have. Imagine, tendulkar at 16 was quite matured, he had the guts and in some of his innings (even before he reached 20), he carried his team through . Though I saw it once against West Indies in this 20-20 WC, at one stage, when the RR was in control, Ash calmed down aftab and also himself played more sedately. But this is the only time, I saw him using some sense.

I just hope, we get a batting coach, someone who can mold ash, aftab, junaed, nazim etc. It is extremely imp. Bd has the talent in that dept but needs to get the temperament right.
Old September 27, 2007, 02:27 PM
Cricket Legend

I agree, Ash is lacking caution and patience, he has all the makings of a great batsman, but his adrenalin takes over when he is batting., and he loses perspective. so many times I have been disappointed in him by his reckless battng, and the soft dismissals, he just seem to throw his wicket away. I just hope that he does not fall by the wayside because he does have natural batting talent, but cannot convert that talent into real performance. We have only managed to see his brilliance on a few occassions. Even the commentators remark about this, that we have not seen enough of him at the crease.
Each time i watch him bat, I pray that he makes a good score, but alas! he gets out so quickly.
Old September 27, 2007, 02:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Top stuff Miraz bhai !!!! It was a very good emotional read.
Old September 27, 2007, 03:28 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
Top stuff Miraz bhai !!!! It was a very good emotional read.
Knowing you so well, I think you cried after reading this piece. Man...I'm surprised you didn't cry in my wedding
Old September 27, 2007, 03:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Knowing you so well, I think you cried after reading this piece. Man...I'm surprised you didn't cry in my wedding

Hahahaha HOw many times have you seen me cry kabir ? Moreover how do you know I dint cry at your wedding?

I am saying this once again you are a very lucky person.
Old September 27, 2007, 05:49 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
Hahahaha HOw many times have you seen me cry kabir ? Moreover how do you know I dint cry at your wedding?

I am saying this once again you are a very lucky person.
Shariar vai looking cool in his pic,
Old September 27, 2007, 08:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: YOURFACE

aww..wow...waht a storry! =]
Old September 29, 2007, 02:32 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zainab
Israr, I am a female, very much involved in cricket, love the game.
Shame on myself!
Sorry sis, I guess I forgot that females follow cricket while I wrote that post.
The way you described Ash's maiden hundred, I was completely deceived.
Once again, I apologize sincerely for my mistake!
Old September 29, 2007, 02:49 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangladeshFan
I think Ashraful lacks something which the great players have. Imagine, tendulkar at 16 was quite matured, he had the guts and in some of his innings (even before he reached 20), he carried his team through .
I have already said it several times in many other threads about the main reason behind Ash's failure, and I don't want to elaborate this time. Don't compare Tendulkar with Ashraful, because the circumstances through which each of these cricketers commenced and progressed in their international career was completely different. I just want to say that, if our Ashraful would have been born and played as a cricketer of one of the 'established sides', you'd already see the gargantuan difference.
Old September 29, 2007, 06:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by israr
I have already said it several times in many other threads about the main reason behind Ash's failure, and I don't want to elaborate this time. Don't compare Tendulkar with Ashraful, because the circumstances through which each of these cricketers commenced and progressed in their international career was completely different. I just want to say that, if our Ashraful would have been born and played as a cricketer of one of the 'established sides', you'd already see the gargantuan difference.
Absolutely right. I remember Ian Chappel saying the same thing. Unfortunately he was stuck with us...
Old September 29, 2007, 06:27 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Rasel, Mortaza, Ashraful

There was a similar article on Cricinfo. I actually think its got the same info. Good write their Miraz Uncle.
Old September 29, 2007, 06:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord AK
There was a similar article on Cricinfo. I actually think its got the same info. Good write their Miraz Uncle.
If you read the article on cricinfo, you'll see that the author is Miraz bhai.
Old September 29, 2007, 06:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord AK
hehe,bhaiya that article was copied from our miraz bhaiya,but crickinfo took his permission before writing it so it is all miraz bhaiyas article.
Old October 1, 2007, 04:48 AM
Banned

Nice story.
Old October 9, 2007, 01:47 PM
Cricket Sage

The untold story of Mohammad Ashraful, the flag bearer of Bangladesh Cricket

Now that its being told, shouldn't the title be changed to...
Old October 9, 2007, 07:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
The untold story of Mohammad Ashraful, the flag bearer of Bangladesh Cricket

Now that its being told, shouldn't the title be changed to...
Haha Fazal, was there any point in doing that? Or just getting attention?
Old October 9, 2007, 09:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: BD Team Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Hehehe bhaiya kandar kotha bolchen?? Shahriyar bhaiya to hash chilo jokhon apnar picture tul chilo....... apnar mone nai??