facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 27, 2007, 04:37 PM
Retired BC Admin

Default Captaincy dilemma and possible solution

Bashar's decision to quit ODI captaincy is sure to leave a huge void. While he was never been tapped as a prolific skipper, his old fashion, trusted and no-risk style safer approach was more than enough to settle the nerves of BCB officials including selectors as well as fans. Unfortunately, or rather inevitebly, the very circumstances that brought him to the helm are the ones bringing him down. Personal performance and consistency are such mighty things!

We must agree however that, it was great to have his service while it lasted. We owe a lot to the single most successful skipper Bangladesh has ever had to date. Thank you Bashar.

There is neither single nor easy answer to the question, who's gonna fill the void? We have more names than true options. From Ashraful to Abir to Rafique to Kousik to Mashud to Rahim to Rajin, we can name anyone. But deep down, we know how grave the situation is and how volatile the options are for the moment.

With an EKG like performance graph, Ashraful is likely to face more questions than balls. Another step-over the ball and Kousik's mom will do the interview again. A few wicket less sixers and Rafique's social popularity will capture the headlines. Few more zeros and Abir's family life will be the talk of the town. Wrong changes and Rajin will find himself exiting Zia through the back door. The situation is really pressing from the perspective of a fan.

As tigers, we are known to find ways when there is none. There will be no exception this time around either. Rest assured, we'll find it.

One of the possible avenues to explore is to appoint short term skippers while continue to nurture and look for more permanent solution. An experienced vice captain should come very handy. Keepers like Rahim and multi-skillers like Shakib should get more attention than those who may lose consistency without notice.

Periodic lectures, workshops and seminers on leading by example should be of help, more so if it features the likes of Waugh, Tailor, Ranatunge, Imran Khan, Naser Hussain and Heath Streak.

I sincerely hope I got it all wrong and the situation is not as dire as it appears to be.

Old May 27, 2007, 04:44 PM
Club Cricketer

I don't believe 'periodic lectures, workshops and seminars' will help make a great captain. Leaders are born and not created. But that's my belief.
Old May 27, 2007, 04:44 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Bashar left a huge void, no doubt, but it was a good decision for the better interest of everyone involved.

I think the situation is not as complex as you are assuming.

The choice is almost straightforward and it's Ashraful.

Ashraful is coming out of age and is far more consistent than any other time of his career. BCB officials, selectors and even Bashar expressed his confidence in Ashraful.

I think he will be a good captain and will take Bangladesh cricket to a new height.
Old May 27, 2007, 04:45 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: mortaza and saqibul

when on 2nd day bashar dint showed up on the press meeting. ashrafull reacted very smartly i think.

by the way watch my new/first avater.

nannu ( the rikshaw romanticus)
Old May 27, 2007, 04:48 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannu
when on 2nd day bashar dint showed up on the press meeting. ashrafull reacted very smartly i think.

by the way watch my new/first avater.

nannu ( the rikshaw romanticus)
Man, this takes me back to the good ol' days in Dhaka. Dujone dujonar....
Old May 27, 2007, 05:29 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Nice to find the well written post from Chinaman bhai. Let's hope our next captain will perform well. This post also reminds me to limit my expectation as a fan of a rising cricketing nation.
Old May 27, 2007, 05:46 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tareq Aziz

Another step-over the ball and Kousik's mom will do the interview again. A few wicket less sixers and Rafique's social popularity will capture the headlines. Few more zeros and Abir's family life will be the talk of the town. Wrong changes and Rajin will find himself exiting Zia through the back door.

lol
Old May 28, 2007, 12:28 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Bashar left a huge void, no doubt, but it was a good decision for the better interest of everyone involved.

Ashraful is coming out of age and is far more consistent than any other time of his career. BCB officials, selectors and even Bashar expressed his confidence in Ashraful.

I think he will be a good captain and will take Bangladesh cricket to a new height.

Miraz Bhai,

I think the situation doesn't seem dire to you because you have a high belief on Ashraful.
No doubt that he is smarter comparing to Habibul Bashar, but my only fear is his consistency.
Old May 28, 2007, 12:58 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: SHAHRIAR NAFEES!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypoint
I don't believe 'periodic lectures, workshops and seminars' will help make a great captain. Leaders are born and not created. But that's my belief.
i agree, u born with it, its like the saying if a crow wears the feathers of a peacock, its still a crow, similarly if bashar isnt a born leader, no matter what he does he will always remain a lousy captain
Old May 28, 2007, 01:09 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

agreed with Miraz bhai's post.
Ashraful is the best choice now and he will do good.
Old May 28, 2007, 01:15 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvlee_nik
i agree, u born with it, its like the saying if a crow wears the feathers of a peacock, its still a crow, similarly if bashar isnt a born leader, no matter what he does he will always remain a lousy captain
i cant say anything although i know there is a lot to say against such comparison.
Old May 28, 2007, 01:34 AM

I think Chinaman is quite right, I am too not confident on Ashraful as captain, not on Mashree, nor Nafees, and the reason is what Chainaman said. None could lead the team for long and successfully unless whoever captain perform himself with consistency. Since the whole team lacks consistency it's rather obvious future captaincy will be in crisis more often than Bashar era.

Having said that, since we must have to move forward I think its wise to go with short term ( couple of series ) captaincy system as Chinaman insisted. Though I beg to differ on the idea of 'experienced' vice captain, since the 'experienced' in our team means same old Bashar, Javed, Pilot. I doubt these people would do any help rather than confrontation, trouble and grouping, if we give them the chance in decision making on the field or in dressing room.

Instead we should invest on grooming vice captain too with new generation. If those three ( Bashar, Javed, Pilot ) are not in the team and Rafique selected for vice captain then it might be helpful for us to shift towards reform I guess.

Btw, How about our Chinaman for our team physio? I mean 'mental' physio? I am sure it will help our team 120%

Last edited by PoorFan; May 28, 2007 at 01:41 AM.. Reason: Added 'Chainaman for physio'
Old May 28, 2007, 02:29 AM
ODI Cricketer

As some people says, asraful is a good option for ODI captaincy......I wonder, how these people will respond when BD will defeated badly in SL with asraful's poor score as batsman. I am interested to see Bashar basher's responce....!
Old May 28, 2007, 02:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

I think Ashraful will be an OK captain, he will not be our dream captain!!!

I was really rooting for SN, but his form has let us down. I hope he discovers his form soon.
Old May 28, 2007, 03:31 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Simple, it has to be Ash. But Nafees had real potential for a while but he has to get back into the team.
Old May 28, 2007, 06:54 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

I have to agree with CM bhai here, that the situation is not as plain and simple as it looks like. "just close your eyes and give it to Ash" or "Mash must be the clear choice" or "The little genious Mushfiq will do the miracle" .... none of these might ultimately work immediately.

To be honest, any new captain who takes charge will take some good time to get adopted to it. And whoever is given the job, will make many mistakes in the beginning and face lots of criticisms. As fans, we just have to be patient with our new captain and give him enough time to come good.
Old May 28, 2007, 07:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Yeah this is a tough one for the selectors. Who do they give it to? We have such talent, yet most are inconsistent with poor temperaments. Real testing times for our selectors......as well as our players....
Old May 28, 2007, 08:04 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tareq Aziz

We have to give Ashraful some time.

Btw, he and Rahim already Captain in the League.
Old May 28, 2007, 08:15 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mushfiqur Rahim

Mushfiq has dne great with the u19, i think tha he wud be good, he is a cricket genious. I think tha Asraful wud be good, n even Sakib, they hav great cricketing minds, n can be aggressive wen need be!
Old May 28, 2007, 08:37 AM
Cricket Legend

The Australian way, broken only once, is to take your best batsman and make him captain.

Bangladesh, having adopted the Australian way of cricket, must take the decision on the matter of the captaincy in this light.

Therefore, Mohammed Ashraful should be the Captain of the Bangladesh Test Cricket side.

Having said this, there are some words I wish I could speak to Habibul Bashar.

Habibul Bashar, I have the greatest and deepest respect for the way that you carried your side in so many hard years. You were a quality batsman in a struggling side, and in your efforts, your demenour and your courage you have earned my undying respect. You were the man who took Bangladesh cricket to the end of the beginning.
You were the man who, at St Lucia, Cardiff and elsewhere brought respect to the Mighty Bangladesh Tigers.

I will always be grateful for the pleasure I have drawn from your elegant batting, and from the way you kept doing the hard things to make the team better.

Ian Whitchurch
Old May 28, 2007, 09:12 AM
ODI Cricketer

Make Ash captain and give the vice captaincy to either Rahim or Saqib.
Old May 28, 2007, 11:13 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib , Tamim

Ashraful is the right choice. He already proved his captaincy genius in the 1st test in
Chittagong in Bashar's absence. Also he has been leading club & team in premier and
national league.
Old May 28, 2007, 12:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Right now we have no option but to give it to Ashraful. I don't think he will be an okay captain. Either he will rise to the occasion and show his brilliant talent with the bat or he will let us down big time. I hope for the first one though.
Old May 28, 2007, 12:22 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz

there is no confusion... listen to miraz bhai...
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 28, 2007, 12:25 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock
Make Ash captain and give the vice captaincy to either Rahim or Saqib.
Ash will be captain and Mash will be VC .