facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Your feelings on Saqib's innings against Sri Lanka...
His approach was correct, a win was out of question and the blame should be on top order batsman. 43 61.43%
He played well/OK, but he should attempted to chase the target 22 31.43%
His innings sucked; target should have always been chased even if we end up 180 all out 5 7.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 8, 2006, 02:28 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default Are you pleased with Saqib's performance against SL?

Are you pleased with Saqib's approach to batting in the match against Sri Lanka?

#OneTeam1Dream

Old October 8, 2006, 03:18 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

i chose the first option. Although his approach was definitely not okay if you look at it from the perspective of simply chasing down the target. But in the circumstance he went out to bat, his approach can't be questioned, since the target was too big to reach for our team from that point.

Bottom line, top order failed, and they're to be blamed. Being someone who plays cricket regularly, this is a simple grammar to me : If you got a big target to chase, you've got to have a good start, rather a good opening partnetship.
Old October 8, 2006, 03:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
i chose the first option. Although his approach was definitely not okay if you look at it from the perspective of simply chasing down the target. But in the circumstance he went out to bat, his approach can't be questioned, since the target was too big to reach for our team from that point.

Bottom line, top order failed, and they're to be blamed. Being someone who plays cricket regularly, this is a simple grammar to me : If you got a big target to chase, you've got to have a good start, rather a good opening partnetship.
I agree with Materblaster. I think Sakib did a very good job under the situation. His solid temperment gives me hope that he might become somebody like Rahul Dravid in the near future.

Anyways, here is a link to DS article about him
http://thedailystar.net/2006/10/09/d61009040127.htm
Old October 8, 2006, 03:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

2nd option. He did OK and just OK. Not more than that. Unfortunately we needed MORE to win the match and for that particular match win/loss mattered the most, IMO.
Old October 8, 2006, 04:00 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

First Option.
Old October 8, 2006, 04:22 PM

He did the right thing what needed most to hold one side as our top order failed shamefully. I wish he would continue to work and practice hard to improve himself to be a good cricketer in world standard.
Old October 8, 2006, 04:27 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

the only thing that pleases me is a WIN. and a win only. we need to correct our approach of finding positives in lose.
Old October 8, 2006, 04:34 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

2nd Option although I am satisfied with his performance.
Old October 8, 2006, 04:48 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakibul Hasan

I am pleased with what he did under the situation. Compared to Bashar, who did practically nothing and showed no leadership througout the match. I am a bit disappointed with his technique considering all the hype he was surrounded with.....I thought I was gonna see sumone with Lara or Tendul's ablility but nevertheless I am impressed by his temperment which is very rare in BD batsmen. These are his early days...so I am definitely looking for improvement as he gains more confidence and experience.
Old October 8, 2006, 05:14 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
the only thing that pleases me is a WIN. and a win only. we need to correct our approach of finding positives in lose.
i understand what ur sayin...i concur 110%.

but lemme ask you question and it will show you what this poll's purpose is.

we beat australia in an ODI, in that match nafees iqbal scored 8 runs from 21 balls. we won and we are all pround, pleased, and saw huge positives.

here's the Q:

were you pleased with iqbal's performance in that game?

#OneTeam1Dream
Old October 8, 2006, 05:41 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I chose 2nd option, but for the 1st part. He played ok, but it was not primarily his responsibility/decision to chase the target. If he tried that and got out early we'd be blaming him for that also. He did what was needed, to keep the wicket intact and build up partnerships. I'm sure with time he'll learn to improve and play more confidently.
Old October 8, 2006, 06:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
here's the Q:

were you pleased with iqbal's performance in that game?
no. he should have done better

but in prevous match, i think sakib did ok. we lost because of our top order batsmen specially bashar's performance
Old October 8, 2006, 06:36 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

I think Saqib did very well in the last match. What he could do more? When all the senior batsmen got out and our Lifetime Wicket Keeper (the most bogus cricketer in the present world) showed his stupid performance again, definitely Saqib did right thing….tried to make some run in any way.

Sorry I can’t control myself to share this: When Pilot comes to the crease; I switch off TV….always.
Old October 8, 2006, 06:46 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Michael Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CricFanBD
.....Sorry I can’t control myself to share this: When Pilot comes to the crease; I switch off TV….always.
You should better keep your TV open for sake of other batsman.
Old October 8, 2006, 07:23 PM
Cricket Legend

How some people say that they are fully pleased with the performance ? No matter how many chance the Lankan scored we should have chased it. Saqib could have a go at the bowlers after 40 overs, then the motto should have been do or die and thats called fight or fighting spirit.

Although he hasnt done bad considering individual performance lets hope he learns something from here and use this experience.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old October 8, 2006, 07:31 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

AF, No I'm not please with NI in that cardiff match. but at the same time it does not matter. as long as we win, 'how' does not matter, and as long as we loose, 'how' does not matter (unless its a record of some kind).
Old October 8, 2006, 07:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: David Warner

definately first option. what do expect from a kid when our so called greats failed.
Old October 8, 2006, 07:58 PM
Test Cricketer

i think sakib did his job. ofcourse winning should be first but in his case he did his good. he is new to the team he wants to play a good innins. its our top orders fault blame should not go to sakib. he did he part.
Old October 8, 2006, 09:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

I chose 2nd option. He should've gone for it after 40th over. He was already set and we could've made a gmae out if he tried to score a little quickly. If I am not mistaken, we needed about 120 runs from last 10 overs and mashrafee was batting quite well. WE needed to take a risk then. I rather go for the win then sommonjonok porajoy anytime. Specially if we have some kinda shot of winning the game. But then, Dav and others should be the one who shouldve sent the msg inside. Looked like everyone was pleased that we are doing okay and scoring over 200 runs. This kind of losing mentality has to change. They say all these big things in the press conference like they will play for win and blah blah but in real life, they still approach the game same way they did 5 years ago. Play out the 50 overs and look like a loser in the middle. Only positive I find from his innings is that he never gave up. He showed the determination to be there till the end but he wouldve been my hero if he wouldve gone for it.
Old October 8, 2006, 09:51 PM
Street Cricketer

I agree with most of you that he did his part, but he could have done it better by taking the challenge onto the Srilankas after he reached his fifty. Dissapointingly, this positive attitude was missing. Some believe that a respectable score is much better than trying to chase the target and get all out cheaply, but that what makes us minos. If you never try, you never know. If you don't try, you are definitely gonna lose, but if u do try, u at least have an extra option with yourself.
Old October 9, 2006, 06:15 AM
Cricket Legend

He has done just what he was supposed to do in that situation. It has also been acknowledged by the Team Management, the Selector, the Coach and the Captain.
Old October 9, 2006, 06:18 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib,Tamim, Mashrafe

i think sakib is ok enough. Because he have not that much skil to wrap it off by ownself. It will take time to make this confidence in himself. But still what he did is ok.
Old October 9, 2006, 06:20 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

I think the question you should be asking is whether are we pleased with other players who could not even get past 50 let alone a hundred, which was required.

Since Saquib is metnioned in this poll, my answer would be that we should not have brought an all-rounder like Saquib just a year before the World Cup in the first place, let alone letting him bat at such a crucial position of number four. He should have played at best in the number 6 position, not above. If you ask me, we're trying to find yet another Kapali in Saquib, trying to find someone to play the fully 50 overs.

But, the thing is, Saquib is doing fine at the moment, courtesy of failures of our other experienced and more established players, and from the position that Saquib comes in, I think he did his best as he could under the circumstances.
Old October 9, 2006, 07:00 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Seems like its gettin harder and harder to please the fans everyday.
The youngsters goes in the middle, plays a crucial innings of 67* under the circumstance and still finds himself under the limelight..all for the wrong reasons apparently.

What more you expect out of him at that stage of the game?

Yes, a WIN is a WIN, but when you see the win flying out of the window in a matter of seconds ( 76-2 to 76-4 in no time), i guess Sakib going on a all out winning approach would have landed him in the same situation, ie, under scruitiny and criticism.

Then we would have asked, WHY DID HE BAT IRRESPONSIBLY AND DID NOT SEE US THRU TILL THE END??

Now even though we lost the match, the scoreline and the defeat margin still gave us some credibility and actually does not depict the true picture of the game.
We were never in the match and hadnt it been for his 67, the loss would have been on a bigger margin and would have made us look even more of a shamble. Had we been all out for 180, the fans would raise the "hai-hai shob gelo" attitude and leave all the hopes of qualifying at bay. But because we made a formadible 265, mind you which is one of our highest ODI scores so far, atleast i think we have an outside chance of competing with WI and may be get a result on our side the next match.

I am really dissapointed on those who are questining his performance, when we should rather focus on Ash, Aftab and Bashar. SN can be excused for one game, as he has shown consistency over the time and this could be seen as a one-off thing.

Please raise questions about the above mentioned players, and not the guy who actually scored the highest run in the match and gave us something to look out for the next match.

Take it easy all.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old October 9, 2006, 09:00 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney
Seems like its gettin harder and harder to please the fans everyday...
I concur.
Lets analyze his innings.
1. Chasing 302, he comes in 55/2 13 overs have passed. RRR was 6.79.
2. After HB's pathetic catch practice the RRR became 7.19 with BD struggleing 78/4 still 225 behind. You guys are with me? How different his approach should have been? Similar to Ash, SN, Aftab, Bashar?
3. 5th/6th ODI in his career. 1st against quality opponent.
4. He is still under 20. You expect a Jayawardene innings?

Stop this pointing fingers in the wrong direction. It seems you guys were rooting for him to get out at 25 to 35 range. That would have satisfied you?

Run korleyo dosh na korleyo dosh. Ar Ash, Bashar'er kono dosh nai, hoteyo parey na. Tader aro chance diwa uchit.