facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 23, 2006, 01:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Taposh and nazmul will fight it out for the 3rd seamer position. Healthy competition is good for the team!

Old February 23, 2006, 01:41 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib, Tamim, Tendulkar

looks like rana is mised out in this scries....what a sad story....what else he need to do to grab a place in first 11
Old February 23, 2006, 01:54 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by irteja
looks like rana is mised out in this scries....what a sad story....what else he need to do to grab a place in first 11
It is important that we win the next match.... it is not important at all somebody misses out the first XI and it generates a sad story.... it is not primary school.... it is supposed to be professional cricket... and it really does not matter somebody's favorite(?) cricketer sits out........
Old February 23, 2006, 02:43 PM
Cricket Guru

I don't understand because of so many SLAs Rana is out. But he contributes though. I guess being SLA went against him.
Old February 23, 2006, 02:45 PM
Test Cricketer

Why cant we call Shahadat Hossain Rajin instead of Tapash...Rajib is better than Taposh...
Old February 23, 2006, 03:15 PM
ODI Cricketer

Shahadat Hossain Rajin?

Quote:
Originally posted by lance_klusner
Why cant we call Shahadat Hossain Rajin instead of Tapash
Old February 23, 2006, 03:18 PM
Club Cricketer

Shahadat takes Jayasuriya's wicket:
link

Shahadat takes Attapattu's wicket:
link

Shahadat takes Murali's wicket (ok, this one is not as impressive):
link

This, all as recently as September 2005.

He better be injured if they are recalling Taposh instead of him.
Old February 23, 2006, 03:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Pitch curator Belal said he is trying to make wickets in Chittagong even more bouncier than wickets of Bogura. Also forcast is that there will be plenty of dew on the morning of the match. Taposh may turn out to be very handy in those situations, but I think they should also keep Rana as the sub in case Bashar loose the toss (by the law of average, he should).
Old February 23, 2006, 03:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatcher
in case Bashar loose the toss (by the law of average, he should).
Law of average doesn't work in individual cases. Its still 50%. Even if he wins the next one, the first test will again be 50%.

So there is your only thing where you/me/us don't need to lower our expectation.
Old February 23, 2006, 03:38 PM
Cricket Legend

How bad is Rajib's injury?
Old February 23, 2006, 04:16 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Taposh is a world record holder. Very few bowlers would want to break it. Eventually it will be broken though. Taposh fan club people: I ask, please don't read the following.

In ODI where bowlers have bowled 7 overs or more, Taposh have eclipsed everyone. 7 overs 87 runs. World Record

All I want from him (if he plays) is not more than five extra in 10 overs. Wish him all the best.
Old February 23, 2006, 04:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by pagol-chagol
Quote:
Law of average doesn't work in individual cases. Its still 50%. Even if he wins the next one, the first test will again be 50%.

So there is your only thing where you/me/us don't need to lower our expectation.

Law of average nullifies the 50% issue. If Bashar's won most of his last tosses, its more likely that he will lose the next one.
Old February 23, 2006, 04:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:

Law of average nullifies the 50% issue. If Bashar's won most of his last tosses, its more likely that he will lose the next one.
Old February 23, 2006, 04:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Correction, Tapash holds no world record, because there are six bowlers who gave 90+ runs an innings. But yes, he could have broken some records if he had bowled full ten overs. Anyway, you can see that even Murali or Jayasuriya can be beaten to pulp sometime.

ODIs - Most Expensive Bowling

Edited on, February 23, 2006, 9:39 PM GMT, by TheWatcher.
Old February 23, 2006, 04:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Can someone categorize Taposh's number of good, average and bad ODI performances?

Its going to be a subjective stat based on your judgement rather than numerical.

Comparing his game by game stats with Mashrafee, since Mash is a comtemporary, would be helpful to to break it down among good, average and bad.

Thanks.
Old February 23, 2006, 04:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Pundit
Quote:
Quote:

I know what point of view you are looking at this from. However, these are independent events. If Basher wins 1000 tosses in a row he still has a 50% chance of winning the next one. You can look it up in any elementary probabilty book or even on the internet.

Law of average works in a larger context. For example if there are 100 tosses. then Basher will almost surely win between 45 and 55 tosses. The larger the number is the more likely he'll drift toward 50%. It doesn't work for one single case though.
Old February 23, 2006, 04:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know what point of view you are looking at this from. However, these are independent events. If Basher wins 1000 tosses in a row he still has a 50% chance of winning the next one. You can look it up in any elementary probabilty book or even on the internet.

Law of average works in a larger context. For example if there are 100 tosses. then Basher will almost surely win between 45 and 55 tosses. The larger the number is the more likely he'll drift toward 50%. It doesn't work for one single case though.
Arnab/Orpheus or somebody...any separate thoughts. Fortunate Tapash, after all the wides, luck still favors him.
Old February 23, 2006, 04:58 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Correction, Tapash holds no world record, because there are six bowlers who gave 90+ runs an innings. But yes, he could have broken some records if he had bowled full ten overs. Anyway, you can see that even Murali or Jayasuriya can be beaten to pulp sometime.

ODIs - Most Expensive Bowling
The record is giving highest run per over in ODI (7 overs or more). 10 overs 90+ runs in merely 9.+ average.
7 overs 87 runs 12.4 per over is a world record.

He broke MA Suji 7 overs 81 run record (11.57 per over) Kenya v India Paarl 2001/02.

Edited on, February 23, 2006, 10:07 PM GMT, by Cats_eye.
Old February 23, 2006, 05:05 PM
Club Cricketer

lol, yes pagol-chagol is right about each toss being independent of the result of the previous toss.

So, I would like to pose the following question. Assuming Sumon's luck continues and we win the toss again, should BD bat or bowl? I would be in preference of bowling first again, with Tapash in the squad in place of Nazmul, and using Rajin as the super-sub after the innings changes. Also, I want the team to stay the same as the 2nd ODI, with the lone exception of Tapash coming into the squad for Nazmul. It should also be mentioned that Rajin is the ideal choice for super-sub. Even if we lose the toss and have to bat first, bringing in Rajin for his part-time spin and excellent fielding (which could save us 10-15 runs) will be a great luxury. You need to have good fielding to win these close ODI matches, and with guys like Aftab, Rajin, and Alok in the field, we are well on our way to becoming a great fielding squad.
Old February 23, 2006, 05:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Fortunate Tapash, after all the wides, luck still favors him.
I wish you were right, but that is not an independent event. A bowler who usually gives more wides will more likely give more wides in the next game too. Number of wides heavily depends on the bowler as well as his form, mindset, health etc.

Every coin toss is independent though.

Chances of winning three coin tosses in a row is 0.5*0.5*0.5= 0.125

However chances of winning one toss regardless of the of the last two toss's results is 0.5
Old February 23, 2006, 05:22 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Quote:

With a 'fair' knowledge in statistics and probability (for which I am paid for) I find pagol-chagol's explanation most reasonable for those who had no classes in probability and/or statistics in college.
Old February 23, 2006, 06:28 PM
First Class Cricketer

He should , just give him a chance . Can't forget his 3 wickets against the mighty Aussies . So why not ?
Old February 23, 2006, 06:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Taposh is ... (let me think) .... a million times better than Nazmul.

Rana would have been best, but hey at least Nazmul won't embarrass himself - that's a positive.
Old February 23, 2006, 07:05 PM
Test Cricketer

If Tapash isn't fit enough, he shouldn't play.

He has been carrying an ankle injury for quite sometime, and he was played in England despite this fact because there was no other quality pacers. Now those of you lebeling Tapash as an expensive bowler, are simply basing it on his tour to England.

- The game where he conceded 87 runs, do you guys know what Harmison conceded in that same match?

-Do you guys know that before Mashrafe, Tapash was our best bowler;

-do you guys know that in West Indies Tapash took an wicket in every 11 runs he gave?

Tapsh is going to bounce back, because he is a fighter, and he plays his heart out. For my money, Tapash is still the 2nd best Pacer in the country. Rassel, Rajib all have a long way to go.

Edited on, February 24, 2006, 12:12 AM GMT, by Flipper.
Old February 23, 2006, 07:44 PM
ODI Cricketer

Excellent Move. Tapash Cant do any worse than Nazmul. Also Tapash adds valuable runs if needed. Will Rajin be given another chance as super sub or will it be Rana?