facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 6, 2007, 05:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD4eva
As for Tamims lack of elegance per say, that has been discussed again and again. You dont have to look very far to find a successful cricketer (in some cases, very successful) who fails in technique. As someone once said "Technique is a predetermined philosophy created to help peak performance. It is not the very definition of performance."
Well clearly we disagree. So there is no point going back and forth on this issue. However, I will tell you this though. Just like you can say there are some who are successful without a good technique, there are many who are not successful since they don't have a good technique. So thats not a good way to defend someone. You have to look at the probability and probability says more than likely, someone with a suspect tecnique is most likely fail in international arena. Exception happens. True. But exceptions are rare.

Quote:
Oh......How stupid of me.....You were obviously trying to prove that Mehrab is not the worst in the team, which therefore justifies his presence in the team..... His stats however prove that he is.(Bashar and Ash, both of whom were bashed in the last few series', both of whom proved themselves before [Mehrab has yet to], have higher averages than Mehrabs). Although, i admit, stats are not the only thing in a game as complicated as cricket.....Give me one thing he is good at. His impeccable catching? Oh wait, not that either......
I am not trying to show he is not the worst in the team. In terms of aveage, he is the sixth batman in that list. However, what I tried to show is his stats is somewhat similar to that of Bashar and Ash. You take a certain period of time, say a year and judge a player. You say he is not good enough but still give pass to other players because they have proved it before against quality opposition. Well, if they did then give this kid a chance to do that too. If not, you are not being fair.

Old February 6, 2007, 05:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD4eva
Thats just it. I agree that that was definitely their reasoning behind his selection. But what people seem to forget is it has worked (or not worked for that matter) against Zimbabwe. Any opener we've had can stay on as long as this guy has, against Zimbabwe, IMO even JO.
If it worked, why change it? Just becuase it worked against Zimbabwe doesn't mean it won't work against other teams. Ofcourse, Zimbabwe is way weaker than other team but how would you know unless you actually let them play? Just like I said before, we just seem to love the next player on pipeline thinking he is the savior of our cricket and that mentality wouldn't help us in the long run.
Old February 6, 2007, 05:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Liton Das

Nice work skipping the middle when putting my quote in bold. I never said it worked, neither did i say it didnt work. I was putting my thought forward....Let me try the bold thing too, cuz it might help. What i proposed right in the beginning of the thread is not hasty at all, give Tamim a chance in the next match, if he fails get mehrab back, if he doesnt, give tamim another shot, if he succeeds again, give him another. In order for that to work, the selectors had to do that right in the beginning of the series. But now, its too late to do anything, and they're stuck with it. Mehrab failed both times. The least they can do now is at least win back some respect by trying someone else out.
Old February 6, 2007, 05:52 PM
Cricket Sage

Why some of us are sooo conjush giving chance to a newer player and soooo dil doria continue to give countless chances to some other players? We already dumped Reza for nothing. Given chance, he could have been much better ODI batsman than what we have at #5 and #6...atleast against ZIM.

I say, if you really want to see Tamim in next ODI, then give hime a chance at #6 slot and from there on we will see where they goes. A batting order of Tamim (at #2). Aftab (at #3) , Bashar (at #5) and Ash (at #6) is perfect recipe for disaster. If you really want to see Tamim at #2, I would say try Tushar at #6. Tushar have proven one thing while playing for team-a, he can bully weaker teams. The way he guided some of the Ababahni inninngs tells me he may have learned from his previous mistakes. May be its my wishful thinking though.
Old February 6, 2007, 06:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Wow!! What logic. #9 scores 40 of 49, then why did #5 had a duck, #1, #2 and single digit score, #6 could not even score half. shall I continue....???

Grow up!! You can't blame one for what someone else did. Everyone should be hold responsible for their own deeds. 86/7 nice score.
sure! if number 9 keeps batting better than number 1, 9 should be the opener and should face more deliveries. that is what one day cricket is about, team who scores more , wins. Rafiq has played as opener and has flayed zimbo attack all over the place which I doubt our tortoise boy can ever do.

But with world cup in sight it is understandable that they are looking for a stable pair. But the guy who consistently struggles to score even against these poor zimbo /scot attacks shouldnt be the opener at all. and if we think about technique, you will find many players in international cricket scoring heavily without proper technique. even SN doesnt possess sound technique but he scored big against australia as well as zimbabwe.
Old February 6, 2007, 06:41 PM
First Class Cricketer

We should now give Tamim a chance. Mehrab is too slow, may be fit in the middle (in a test match). we should play positive from the start. Problem with our batsman is that all of them are of same type-stroke makers who use less batting techniques.
I would prefer Nafis Iqbal but since he is not around so Tamim should get his chance. Mehrab was not performing even in the domestic leagues.
Old February 6, 2007, 09:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

Before we see Mehrab Jr another Javed Omar on the making, try Tamim for the rest two matches.
\"In this game, there is no pretending, no mercy, no second chance....in the middle of this huge arena he is on trial, one against eleven, with no one to protect him.....cricket is not a game, it is the truth of life\"
-- J.M.Coetzee, In Boyhood: Scenes from a Provincial Life
Old February 7, 2007, 01:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by real123
We should now give Tamim a chance. Mehrab is too slow, may be fit in the middle (in a test match). we should play positive from the start. Problem with our batsman is that all of them are of same type-stroke makers who use less batting techniques.
I would prefer Nafis Iqbal but since he is not around so Tamim should get his chance. Mehrab was not performing even in the domestic leagues.
It will be really interesting if both Tamim and Nafis play in a match together for Bangladesh. At the moment Javed/Rajin seems the best choice to open with Shahriar Nafees for WC.
Old February 7, 2007, 01:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Can Be an Option. But Don't Through Him Out after Playing only 5 Matches. Give Him Chance for 10-15 Matches. If it is Not Possible Than It is Better to Allow Him to Wait. Tamim Performed only in Domestic Level. International Cricket is Totally Different. More Over Zimbabwe cannot even be Compared with Other Test Team Now a Day. So, Whatever the Decission, Management Should Think about It Very Carefully.
Old February 7, 2007, 01:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Mehrab did not get set in the 2nd ODI. I agree that he is slow... he scored 2 runs from 9 balls and hence the 22.22% strike rate!

Why isn't anyone talking about Ashrafool's 16 runs from 43 balls (37.2% SR). He was the one who really got set. What about Aftab, he scored 24 from 40balls. Here is how our two best batsmen got out...

Aftab Ahmed – Caught at square leg by Prosper Utseya off Gary Brent following a flick shot

Mohammad Ashraful – Attempted an inside out drive and was caught behind by Brendan Taylor off Sean Williams

When the team is losing wickets so quickly, I think it was injudicious on their part to play risky and irresponsible shots.
Old February 7, 2007, 01:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
Ok here whats going on with jR. i THINK...

He is in the team as a grafter. And he is told to get custom to that even if we r playing week team. Remember if he can't hold him self from making stoke shots against week team he won't be able to do so against the big teams either... as you always hear bad ball is a bad ball... anyway my point is he is told to do grafting againts all teams and he is doing just that and for that (playing acording to the plan) he will not be dropped. where as people who wants to play tamim yeah he might score big runs against zimbo's but what will happen aginst the big teams? we were almost all out against zimbo weak team the other day...

So i think that's why he is still there though i don't like it either and I am all for tamim to be tried out but I am ok with the plan too cause we have 4/5 storke players in the team and only two grafters...
His "grafting" as u call it isnt making his stats look too great. He stays in for about 70 balls, something which not many of our players can do. Yet he scores around 20-30 in a ONE DAY INTERNATIONAL which is an absolutely ridiculous rate for an opener in the One day level.

Furthermore, because of this sluggish start, the chances of us scoring around about 300 is highly unlikely. Sure we have aftab and ashraful down there, but how many balls are these guys able to play? Not many as we've seen in the past. And without a score of 300 odd, our chances of beating the big teams are decreased significantly because i dont think our bowlers have what it takes to defend 230-250 runs. Dont get me wrong, we have defended lower totals before, but they dont occur very often, do they?

Therefore i say we get off to a flying start, where our middle order can TRY and consolidate.