facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 14, 2009, 02:05 AM
BC Editorial Team

Default For the Asterisk lovers ...

This is dedicated space for Jesus87, Warfaze, Spitty and others of there ilk. You know, the so-called BD fans who cannot bear that our wins have *shudder*, that mythical asterisk next to it.

We know you will only be happy when our wins happen against Australia
... @ the WACA (fastest pitch in the world)
... with Don Bradman brought back by a time machine,
.... Shane Warne circa mid 90s,
.... with a young Lille opening bowling with McGrath and Thommo coming first change.
.... The umpires would be Australian.
.... And the pitch would have enough grass that a 200 over old ball would seam about as well as bounce.

The win would have to happen in two days and by an innings _and_ 10 wickets!
The win would have to be so awesome that Hookes would turn in his grave.
The win would have to be so comprehensive that the trolls in pakpassion and rediff would hand in their membership and start supporting BD cricket.

Until that win, please post your sourpuss, kill-joy, absurd negativisms here and spare our rare moments of joy. And while you are at it, please post the scorecards for official Test matches from the Packer era - such as the 78-79 Ashes. Please do the same for ICC sanctioned matches played by Windies, Sri Lanka, England and Australia during the "rebel" tours of South Africa. We can all peer at the asterisks placed against those wins.

Old July 14, 2009, 02:05 AM
BC Editorial Team

Oh and as myself obviously
Old July 14, 2009, 02:12 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Very good thread. I like it. Some people never understands.
Old July 14, 2009, 02:25 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

RazabQ bhai, if I remember correctly, Sriram Veera used the word asterisk (something like another win with asterisk) in his bulletin but today he removed it from the bulletin.
Old July 14, 2009, 02:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Some people are always doubtful about our achievements and its right from 97 ICC win where some ppl discredited our win because to rain, then 99 win against PAK and so on....it will carry on as this is in our culture in Bangladesh of not believing in ourselves on achieving big things.

Yes, this win is not against the full strength WI team. But still its a win, we were due for this for a long time. Boyz have played well, showed brilliant character by coming back from a meaningful 1st innings deficit, it was not easy task to pull off that win in the 5th day but they achieved that. We must give credit when its due.

Don't need to be overjoyed, still we need to carry on the performance and the spirit achieved from this match to the future against stronger opposition, but that should not put any doubt on celebrating our first away win.
Old July 14, 2009, 02:39 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

hahahahahahahahaha,

who cares? We Won

you know what Razab da, i personally thought this was a decent West Indian XI, I said in other thread this XI can easily beat our academy side or one of those domestic clubs. This was an XI that had good experience behind their back as well as talent. you cannot take credit away from those reserve WI players as they fought well, but for once (recently) Bangladesh OUTPERFORMED the opponent, when it mattered most!

and that's what mattered.

This win shows that we were prepared to come to the W. Indies, we just had to play our best game.

well, I thought in this test match, our Top order did very very well...even Imrul Kayes: since he gave Tamim the start he wanted and he got starts in both innings, which is exactly what you want from an opener, a solid start. converting it to a fifty+ is another issue.

also credit goes to Mortaza and Shahadat for their batting: extending our first innings from an all too familiar collapse we have been used to seeing.

difference between first and second innings: Top Order! enough said!
Old July 14, 2009, 03:11 AM
Club Cricketer

I was gonna go the opposite route.

This win means nothing, the same way as:

- none of the wins against Zimbabwe - test and ODI - mean anything, because they've been a depleted team since we started beating them.
- the win against Australia means nothing, because Andrew Symonds didn't play and all the other Aussies were down cause Andrew Symonds didn't play.
- the wins against India mean nothing, because the first game they were down cause Tendulkar didn't play, and the second game they were down remembering Tendulkar didn't play on the night of tsunami.
- the win against New Zealand means nothing, because Shane bond was in Delhi.
- the win against Pakistan means nothing, because we didn't get out cur of the loot from the bookie.
- the win against South Africa means nothing, because Gibbs was injured and therefore couldn't hit 6 sixes in Abdur Razzak's over.
- the wins against Sri Lanka mean nothing, because in the first game Jayasuria couldn't complete his century, and in the second game Jayasuria was older and couldn't complete his century; not to mention the game was shortened.
- None of the wins against Canada, Ireland, Kenya, Netherlands, Scorlands mean anything, because, well, there gotta some reason...
Old July 14, 2009, 03:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

My God. I have become a "GonoShotru".

At first, I thought it is for the lovers of famous comics "Asterisk & Obelisk". Let me tell you my thought very clearly.

Win is Win. 100% Correct. But the way we react after a win, I don't think that is good for us. Just think, by any how if WI last wicket stands for the rest of the day and make a draw (Like England in current Ashes or last wicket win by WI in Champions Trophy 2004) 75% of current dedicated fans would start to find out our fault. What mistake Shakib did, why he gave ball to Ashraful, why Raqibul is in the team, how absence of Mashrafe helped us not to win etc.

By this win against WI, the only thing we achieve is a Win in foreign soil. If our team becomes over confident and somehow failed to perform in the very next match, we will start to criticize them. It is for sure.

Let me take the most recent example. For last 1 or 2 years performance we were more or less sure that we are going to the 2nd round of T20 WC. We failed. This is nothing but the glories of Cricket. What we did after that? What amounts of discussion/analysis were going on regarding that failure? More than 85% of current BD fans failed to realize that we should take it easily. They just criticize Captain and some players whom they don’t like. We even suggest Nafees Iqbal to be the captain. We should realize that this is part of International Cricket. The way we started to open threads and cheer our boys, I don’t think our team deserves that much. No thread was opened telling that Ashraful couldn’t perform well in this test. But if we failed to win, I am sure at least 2/3 threads would be opened by now. Why dear? Why we always over react for everything? Our this kind of attitude allows Ian Chappel to tell Bangladesh is a Spineless Team”. Than we feel insulted.
We were thinking to have a good performance against WI main team. But a problem between their board & players allowed us to win even we are in the position of winning a Test Series in foreign soil. Once upon a time India just dreamt about that. If we won against that main team, I would definitely cheer with you people. But the Fact is thi win is because of their fault rather our credit. We played well but if the main team would play, I don't think this performance would be enough.

Anyway I will not justify myself. Still I think this win doesn’t carry that value. They win a Test Match in foreign soil. Very Good and Congratulation to them. But we shouldn’t fly over the sky and keep our foot on the ground. Rather over reacting if we just congratulate them and try to find out what were the mistakes that can lead to failure in future, I think that was worthy.

If WI continues with this type of team in Bangladesh tour of West Indies 2009, We must win this series by 2-0, ODI series by 3-0 and 1-0 in the single T20 International. Anything less than that won’t carry any value. If we make a draw against a 2nd standard teams of No-7 Test team of the world, how can we say that we are a Test Team?
The next series is against Zimbabwe. We always passed very hard time in Zimbabwe. Zimbabwe will never send their 2nd or 3rd standard team. They will try their best to beat us. Last time we won by 4-0 but I am not sure we will repeat our performance again. If we do so, trust me I will cheer with you people. If you tell “We don’t need You”, I will tell “No Worry, I am a Bangladeshi and I will support my Country”.

Have a Nice Time. Please don’t take it emotionally. We are emotional but we can try to be practical.

Old July 14, 2009, 03:53 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Always like Tintin better ...
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old July 14, 2009, 03:55 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Warfaze bhai, lomba lomba boktrita dewar agey wisely somoy choose korte hoy. Naile keu shune na.
Old July 14, 2009, 04:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD-Shardul
Warfaze bhai, lomba lomba boktrita dewar agey wisely somoy choose korte hoy. Naile keu shune na.
Na shunle ar ki korbo bolen. Ami to ar jantam na je ami Astersk, Titin or Sattyajit Roy er Gono Shotru hoeye jabo. Actually ami na Amra. Shunle bhalo. Na shunle amar failure. You know Failure is the Piller of Success.
Old July 14, 2009, 04:31 AM
Club Cricketer

thats exactly my point bro. based on your practicality and rationality, you must not have had any joy whatsoever from any of the bangladesh victories. cause for any team to win, the other team needs to lose. and for the other team to lose, there need to be mistakes and blunders and screw-ups on the losing side. winning side outplaying the losing side also implies losing side was below par. be it the team formation, or mismanagement, or team selection, or bad captaincy, or just flat-out incapability and incompetency. which does not make any losing team be at their best, does it? just technicality bro.

we are emotional alright. and we sure can try to be practical. which kinda puts us in a limbo whether to be practically optimisic, or emotionally realistic - to declare: "If WI continues with this type of team in Bangladesh tour of West Indies 2009, We must win this series by 2-0, ODI series by 3-0 and 1-0 in the single T20 International. Anything less than that won’t carry any value." and at the same time against zimbabwe pessimize: "Last time we won by 4-0 but I am not sure we will repeat our performance again." ... kinda goes against your nice big post of an argument, doesnt it.

i donno man. i'm just a bangladesh fan who thrives for any kind of success. call it emotional. call it fly over the sky.
Old July 14, 2009, 04:33 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Good one RQ.

All you nay-sayers, sucked in mate.
You guys make SS blush.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old July 14, 2009, 05:49 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

This thread is not for me coz I m 100% happy with the win.
Old July 14, 2009, 09:42 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

************************************************** ************************************************** ********************
Old July 14, 2009, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Oh no, eta to ekkebare gonodholai thread!

As myself, of course.
Old July 14, 2009, 10:17 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imteaz
My God. I have become a "GonoShotru".

Warfaze = Imteaz?
Old July 14, 2009, 10:24 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

How would you feel if the table is turned, and Afganistan/Nepal plays against Faisal, Tushar, Rajin, HSarkar, Taposh, and few other U-19 players and win a tight one. And that goes in the record books as Afganistan beats BD in the highest form of cricket.

The same diehard fans who are criticizing here would not give credit to the Afgans. Calling a spade as a spade is not a crime. If the real WI 11 plays the second test match we may have to wait for a long time for another test victory as a drought may settle in again.

I know this thread is created to be funny (and I love Razab's funny bone) but then again this can turn in to serious one if the someone takes offense in expressing their thought. Calling out the naysayers does not show class.
Old July 14, 2009, 10:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

The sniff of a test win was all that mattered. Obviously, this WI team was weaker, but still a win gives you some momentum to move along. And that's something the team needed desperately and they got it.
Old July 14, 2009, 10:52 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Now, lets tie them up around the tree trunk, apples stuffed in mouth and all, and let the whole village known as BC, celebrate under the starry nights! Cacofonix treatment.
Old July 14, 2009, 11:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

nice one RazabQ.
I don't call them naysayers but "Darren Sammy will score a century" is way too much to express your KRIKET intelligence.
Old July 14, 2009, 05:57 PM
Inactive

Favorite Player: John Rennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Always like Tintin better ...
Chacha Chowdhury pwns Tintin.
Old July 14, 2009, 09:32 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

After the T20 debacle, getting a whiff and doing everything they can to actually win a 5 day game is okay in my book. The strength of the opponents obvious. However, there were definitely some maturity and "leadership" in this match that was missing in recent times.
Old July 14, 2009, 09:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Bangladesh* Won** a test match*** against**** WI******

* Used to be Pakistan as recently as 38 years ago, so some unfair advantage due to some transference of Pakistani cricketing prowess

** Only by 90 or so runs

*** Real test matches are played for 5 days. In this case, most of the first day was washed out.

**** Against is a relative term. WI being way weak, helped. It is almost like a "with" instead of "against"

***** WI - that's a no brainer - everyone knows that the real WI team is on vacation
Old July 14, 2009, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron
Bangladesh* [snip]

* Used to be Pakistan as recently as 38 years ago, so some unfair advantage due to some transference of Pakistani cricketing prowess
ATMR likes this. FB style.