facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 25, 2016, 11:46 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default The Fans & Players- The need for deferred gratification

With the risk of being Captain Obvious, I think that the root cause for the one-run defeat is the same one that keeps preventing us from going over the threshold of games where it matters most. It is the same gnarling one that caused Mashrafe to bring himself back against India in Australia that caused TWO seasoned at set batsmen cause same brain freeze a couple of days ago.

You could have two patients showing up at a Neurologist complaining about apparently similar type of sever migraine. When the doctor found out that one of the patients had been partying non-stop at Mardi Gras for five days straight with little or no sleep, only 'prescription' was given was some over-the-counter pills to get the patient to sleep it off without any further interruption. The other patient with similar symptom, upon further questioning, could reveal a much more ominous origin. The doctor might, based on patient's response, order an MRI to validate her fear to discover a growth near the brain-stem, and have the patient to go under the knife, immediately after.
Just like how two dramatically different root causes can manifest themselves in similar symptom such as a migraine, in my opinion, the root cause for bewildering behavior especially in big games can't be explain away about being emotional or just part of the game.

The ‘bad’ decision from the umpire, the conspiracy from ICC, playing on enemy turf or the perceived or real slight or disrespect from untermensch like Shastri, Shidu or others, are nothing but noise.

If we play the reel backward starting from the very last ball, we'd see that while Indians players were talking things over in meeting after meeting, apparently going over every possible scenarios, we see Dhoni taking one globe off - almost telegraphing what was about to transpire; we do not see BD batsmen huddled in the middle plotting theirs (perhaps, I missed it on TV). I would've thought a water boy would be sent to the newbies with message from the camp on how to best steal that run. After all BD had nothing to lose except the entire hope of the nation that lied on that one single run. In another plane, Hom would NOT have frozen for few seconds, watching the ball reaching to Dhoni, as if in a slow motion, looking at himself, outside of his own self. He would have run on the very micro-second the he felt the air of the ball teasing past his bat as if to dare him to take off. The same plane, would have had Mustafiz would have taken of, perhaps, a nano-second prior to ball leaving the bowlers hand and dove on the side. I'm sure being mankad was moot at that point. But, these are all wishful thinking: “if only..." - something that is all too familiar to BD fans. We can, however, chalk all of that to big game jitters, inexperience or the stone cold thirty-four year old Dhoni's experience and body trumping over teen age nerves on the other end.

What we can NOT (and should not) gloss over is the fact that the ball prior to that one was bowled to a batsman who was, in addition to being seasoned and set one for that very game, was having what could be his best T20 form ever. This seasoned and journeyman warrior just witnessed his partner, after hitting back-to-back boundaries showed a display of jejune celebration that turned out to be pathetically premature. The same batsman, his effort to win in style skied his shot and got caught. The jubilation on the stand, the 'can't-believe' look on the Indian players and their celebration and the apparent heartache happened few yard in front his very eyes. He had a meager one run to tie and two more balls to go. What does he do? Of course he would repeat EXACTLY the same thing that just happened moments before. The fact that there was NO post factum realization of what just took place to his comrade a moment before - is where the problem lies.

For this, I would blame both the fans and the players.

Both of these guys, independent of the genuine remorse they have; for the last two fatal balls they faced, were utterly selfish.
Mushfiq, after the juvenile celebration, wanted to be the hero - just like Mashrafe, in the past, wanted to finish is in style with that glamour shot that never came.

Mahmudullah, I'm sure thought to himself, "well, let me show (you) how it's done" was motivated by the same desire to be glorified - more than what he would have had if he did it in a 'boring' way - taking one run at a time. Apparently, these two are married to siblings and there might be a drive to have the bragging right in the dinner table latter on.

The fact that BOTH of these guys did not realize that their immediate task was to secure a draw PRIOR to any glory and garlands awaiting them, speaks volumes about us as fans and perhaps as people.

It is us, who have created this monster of irrational expectations by having everyone from the head of the country to the average layman, going overboard every success the team had. Instead of celebrating our progress, we routinely go overboard - in both our celebration and expectations where the latter continue to expand geometrically while our players were progressing in linear albeit upward slope. Do not get me wrong, I am not the anti-celebratory Grinch here. I think we should celebrate especially in a country where not much is there to unite the political divisions and where corruption are abound, Cricket is one of the few bright spots. However, when players are showered with government sanctioned lands, cars and other accolades that are far disproportionate to the success itself, a dangerous precedent is set and fans' expectations become insatiable and ultimately, unsustainable.

What we are left with is that players start to play for the applause with each eruption on the stands from a boundary (or a wicket), comes the euphoria that, similar to a drug that continues to taunt the addict to reach the next level; does the same magic on the players. Like the addict, woefully trapped, our batsmen, reach for the next hit, the next level of euphoria. The sudden rush of blood, the brain-freeze, inability to calibrate shots according to the merit of the situation, the deer-in-a-headlight behavior, etc., are not the result of inexperience, or ‘just another part of the game’, are just mere symptoms. The root cause, especially for professionals who have been around the block many times and who should and do know better, lies on their perceived need to be heroes. I have been parroting the same thing in the past and I continue to claim this.

We, the fans need to mature as well. There will be time when we too, will have our breakout heroes. In fact, I can name a few that are in the making. But, we are not there yet. We have glimpse of success and we are just barely getting used to winning. The team has all the right settings with a great coach and needs to go through the phase where winning is consistent.

Our expectations too, need to be modulated. Paradoxically, perhaps, we need to go beyond having expectations that are so low that celebrations become over-the-top while hoping that the our new-found pragmatism would rub off to the players where they would play sober- unshackled of the need for next euphoric hit coming from the gallery.
\"I come to you with only Karate: \"empty hands.\" I Have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor. Should it be a matter of life or death, right or wrong, then here are my weapons- Karate: \"empty hands.\"

-GrandMaster Ed Parker

Old March 26, 2016, 12:00 AM
Club Cricketer

Top notch post .. Sums up the problem
Old March 26, 2016, 12:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Abul

Bull**** post. Bragging rights at dinner table? You are saying fans need to mature and then saying this?
Old March 26, 2016, 12:31 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Both the balls were there to be hit. Especially the one to Mahmudullah was in his hitting zone. On another day that would have landed in the gallery. Dhoni said in the press conference he didn't see anything wrong with the approach of finishing the game two balls early. Over the top analysis by op
Old March 26, 2016, 12:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: TIGERS !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Both the balls were there to be hit. Especially the one to Mahmudullah was in his hitting zone. On another day that would have landed in the gallery. Dhoni said in the press conference he didn't see anything wrong with the approach of finishing the game two balls early. Over the top analysis by op
i agree but mushy should have taken a single when all the fielders were waiting in boundary, next he could easily chip boundry wharever he wanted while fielders are in to save single, simple things how mushy messed up after playing so long at this level. sigh!!
Old March 26, 2016, 01:35 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Dhoni said in the press conference he didn't see anything wrong with the approach of finishing the game two balls early.
Your source please?

Cant agree more with the opening poster. Did you saw yesterday how WI finished the game against Saffers? Very simiar position eh?

By the way WI also finished the game two balls early but their approach was different after hitting the six. They took two singles bloody
Old March 26, 2016, 02:07 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: BD Players, Starc, Waqar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shub
Your source please?

Cant agree more with the opening poster. Did you saw yesterday how WI finished the game against Saffers? Very simiar position eh?

By the way WI also finished the game two balls early but their approach was different after hitting the six. They took two singles bloody
During presentation ceremony Dhoni was asked about Riyad.

Don't worry! WI and everyone has learned what NOT to do from Mushfiq and Riyad.
Old March 26, 2016, 03:40 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Those who are saying, ' but but Dhoni said it was OK', why do we have to take his words on how we should play?
Old March 26, 2016, 04:15 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

@habib i tried to reply by quoting but some how ended up editing your post. My apologies
Old March 26, 2016, 04:15 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Dhoni is one of the greastest finishers of the modern era and a great tactician so what he says has weight whether anyone agree or not. As a finisher you are always faced with choices. There is no doubt Ryad made the wrong choice and at that moment perhaps the experience of Mash at the other end or a message from the coach to ryad would have helped. He could have taken a single and left Hom with two balls but he backed himself to hit a full toss. Had it gone to the boundary no one would be writing essays about this
Old March 26, 2016, 04:18 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

what is meant to be will eventually be a memory in time
Old March 26, 2016, 04:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Great post, though i won't agree with it. I am of the opinion that fans opinions should not be counted

The more our players think about the fans expectations, the lesser. I have seen a lot of students struggle to do well exams by constantly thinking about their family and such. Ofcourse there will be expectation, but its upto you to disregard all these when its needed.

You see, it was not the emotions that let us down that day. It was the lack of professional approach. The dy we learn what is "percentage cricket" and what is not, then we can start winning more often than not.

Having said that, these kind of matches can go either way, part and parcel of the game.
Old March 26, 2016, 05:00 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Quote:
Dhoni is one of the greastest finishers of the modern era and a great tactician so what he says has weight whether anyone agree or not. As a finisher you are always faced with choices. There is no doubt Ryad made the wrong choice and at that moment perhaps the experience of Mash at the other end or a message from the coach to ryad would have helped. He could have taken a single and left Hom with two balls but he backed himself to hit a full toss. Had it gone to the boundary no one would be writing essays about this
It's like saying, had all the crazy shots came off for Ashraful instead of getting him out, we wouldn't be talking about that. The key point here is - 'minimizing the risk'. At that time attempting for a six was a high risk shot and there was a chance of getting out in case of a miss hit (which actually happened TWICE). Just because Dhoni is a GOAT, doesn't mean we should take his words as the Bible. What if Hathuru disagrees? Do we take Dhoni's words over his?

P.S. Thanks for butchering my previous post but at least it didn't get deleted entirely.
Old March 26, 2016, 08:01 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nasir Hossain

Also, not necessarily what dhoni can think and acheive would be true for any other batsman. Dhoni can back himself up to hit it for six and finish off in style. I am not convinced we are there yet.
Old March 26, 2016, 08:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Very good piece. I enjoyed reading it immensely.

Securing the draw first would be such a smart thing to do. But no, it ran through the back of Mushy's mind,if I get to be hero this time, then I have my place in the team till my legs get old! Whenever anyone questions my place, I'll remind them of my Asia Cup semi final heroics and this world cup qualifying round heroics, and just like that my place is sealed for years to come despite my awful keeping and batting causing the team much misery.

I have never seen a con man as smarmy as Mushfiqur. Even those scammers who call you up sometimes pretending to be Microsoft help, Mushy puts those guys to shame in the art of conning!
Old March 26, 2016, 08:51 AM
Club Cricketer

Beautifully written piece. Words for the moment is patience and maturity for fans and team alike.