facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 27, 2020, 06:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing
Default Why I have lost faith, hope and respect for Mashrafe our respected leader!

I used to have tremendous respect for this guy, it seemed like he had fought battles, crossed the pain threshold and against all odds succeeded. But recently my feelings have changed, he is a fighter no doubt but he is no more a legend in my eyes. I think Bangladesh cricket is in ways indebted as it is indebted to all cricketers who represent the country but the country comes first not the cricketer. Our cricketers need to understand this first and foremost.

The bravery that was once recognized has become recklessness and ego tussles. He is a born fighter,I get it he has been fighting all his life. But when you fight and lose not once but time and time again it's time to call it a day when the option is there. One great example is how his reckless cost the games in the BPL semifinals and as well our world cup fortune was diminished by a limping captain who couldn't get into the side without his captaincy. He had 1 wicket for heaven's sake when we needed breakthroughs, he was supposed to be the torch bearer of fairness but what he has been showing recently is nothing short of disappointments and must clearly stop.

Yes, he will probably quit some day or be left out of the national side. It might be forced, but he was supposed to be different. From the day we started following Mashrafe, he had an enigma and a role model was created for the young generation. There was someone to look up to for his never-die attitude, but the legacy he leaves behind now is one that will surely hurt it. His ego tussle with the board president on not retiring is not only ugly but ill advised.

Playing with injury should not be a recommendation to the younger generation. You either give your 100% on the field or not play at all, there might be someone who is fit and could take your place and perform better for the team. Mashrafe alone cannot win games, it is a team game. And judging the recent performances it has left no doubt in my mind that a non-fit captain who especially is a front-line bowler cannot take a place in the team.

What irks me the most is that he is being called a legend of Bangladesh cricket. He has not really achieved anything substantial being the team leader. He has not earned any Asia Cup trophies being the captain in 2016 and 2018. He has failed in the World Cup 2015 after reaching QF, again in 2017 Semi Final Champions Trophy and we ended up 8th place in the 2019 World Cup. His legacy will show that under him we failed to win anything substantial and the reason we failed may be because Mashrafe was unfit

The other reason I have lost respect is that when he should have been concentrating on cricket he contested the election and diverted his attention which ultimately cost his fitness and cost us the final rounds in the world cup. He should have been playing and being on the cricket field. The question is not which political party he is affiliated to, I don't care about that. Question is about the timing, there is a time for everything. Mashrafe chose to focus on his next job while he had a job in hand - to win the world cup. He didn't win or give us any trophies (the tri nation or bi=lateral series doesn't count - I am talking about something significant).

The list of failures add up and I am sorry, I cannot call him a legend of Bangladesh cricket. He promised but he failed. The real legends are the U-19 team or Akbar Ali who have given us a World Cup trophy. Mashrafe hasn't even won an Asia Cup and is costing us to advance to a higher ranking clearly - the last world cup is a prime example. I don't know if it is selfishness or ego or just plain fecklessness. Maybe a combination of it all, but it needs to stop for the sake of Bangladesh cricket. Even the Women's team has won us an Asia cup trophy with all the limitations in Women's cricket - the national team has no excuse at all.

I am sorry Mashrafe, this is to let you know I have lost my respect for you and you need to retire for the sake of Bangladesh cricket and let someone who is fit take over you. You should concentrate on molding and shaping the next generation of cricketers and earning back the respect and trust your fervent supporters once had of you. Bangladesh is not going to win any trophies with 10 players in the team, we need everyone to contribute and this needs to be understood by the current team players and the future players.

Old February 27, 2020, 07:31 PM
Cricket Savant

You sound like me circa July 2011.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old February 27, 2020, 10:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

I agree with Tanvir brother.

I have been a fan of Mash the leader but since December 2018 I find it hard to support him. I have always believed that our success as a team was mostly thanks to the other seniors and also support from people like Mustafizur, Miraz and contributions from Mominul, Litton, Soumya, Mosaddek. He has good leadership qualities but he gets into the team as a player first but he is absolutely in shambles. I honestly felt he should have retired after the 2017 Champions Trophy but he didn't and we had to pay the costs.

And nowaday, Mashrafe is being too "ghaura" and not retiring. I dont see any reason for him to not call it a day. You have a second job now which requires far more attention now. Your fitness is ridiculous and thus you can't field or bowl properly. In the world cup your average of 350+ crippled us, as did your fielding. Please call it a day. Its been 7 months or so since our world cup campaign ended and we still have not been able to move forward at all!!
Old February 28, 2020, 08:53 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Masrafi, Shakib, Tamim

I agree. He should retire now and let a younger player to gain experience . Bangladesh needs a National hero and he is a national hero. Please Mashrafee, do not drag it any more.
Old February 28, 2020, 10:54 AM
Cricket Savant

Very good post. At first I thought it was an emotional rant on why he's retiring. Turns out it is not. lol

Old February 28, 2020, 12:47 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

After a pathetic WC campaign if this guy had minimum respect to the sport and love for country, he would have went to self-retirement but Alas this is BD and look who is an MP now.
Old February 28, 2020, 02:09 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ponting

Midlife crisis.
Old February 28, 2020, 02:15 PM
Club Cricketer

He should retire and play on BPL for another two years. Remain in shape as possible. Maybe even carry on playing domestic to keep fitness up for another two years. Mash? you know you can retire and still play domestic? You only play ODI and am sorry your performance at the world cup was SHOCKING. You add nothing more to BD anymore, your fitness was POOR too. You done your part, greatest captain in BD history. Everything has a time. Please retire.

This coming from a fan who started liking BD cricket in the early 00's and Mashrafe was one of the only few players I'd lool forward to along with Rafique.
Old February 28, 2020, 02:56 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

I totally agree with Tanvir bhaiya and all of you baove.
Old February 29, 2020, 09:04 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

https://www.prothomalo.com/sports/ar...A7%8D%E0%A6%A8

https://youtu.be/1cgu4JE7EPw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cgu...&feature=share
Old February 29, 2020, 10:37 AM
Cricket Savant

Reading the Prothom-Alo report, I fully support him.

At the same time, YOU public put him up, put him on pedestal in apotheosis. I was never amused or impressed like Shania Twain when he used to get wickets - and he did get the first breakthrough (but then again he is a opening bowler)- thinking he is like a war veteran or something.

Is he a hero in the conventional sense? Absolutely. I love him and adore him and respect him. But it is absolutely risible and plain DUMB he is doing service out of some virtue or valor coming from thousand knee surgeries and what not.

Gnawing your way in with busted knee again and again, doesn't make you a hero, just makes you a stubborn dumba---.

Having said that people fell in love with him cuz he DID deliver sans the arrogance Shakib/Tamim. In a culture, where OUR ego is threatened from someone ELSE's ego, we found that attractive. He was the model boy, the "Obama" of our country and the valedictorian.

BUT...

I STRONGLY believe it is not because he is "Selfish" that he wants to stubbornly stick to the team. He does have the self-belief that he can lead us to a semblance of World Cup victory and the man is passionate. "Selfish" is a term we commonly throw it all too often around when it should basically be reserved for all your narcissistic father and mother who guiltsbomb THEIR children as selfish out of some martyrdom and victim mentality. Devils-in-disguise, they are the real selfish people.

And, just like you cannot force Mushy to go, you cannot force him to stop playing. (I know there are contract details and what not...)

Here in US, we have a show called Wheel of Fortune. The lady who works there is Vanna White and she surely started her job, because she had the "classic" American beauty look. However, now that she is old she is still in the job and may replace Pat Sajak. As is Alex Trebek still kicking.

The thing I respect about these two shows' producers and creators is that they are not replacing them long after their expiration. It gives a whole new weight and merit as to their standard.

Similarly, as the Taoists would vouch and observe, such is the price of fame and success, that when public will lift you up and rejoice and praise and shower you like Roman centurions returning home with parades led by standard-bearer. But when chips are down, they will just discard you for a decrepit fool.

It's the solemn constant and truth.

I just wish it wasn't the case with Mashrafe. I already had to accept Ash is deadwood and had to let him go, and if Mashrafe came into acceptance about his physical limits it would make the journey easier. Make no mistake. His spirit is still there and you cannot take that away from him.

I wish him all the best in his next endeavor and chapter in life.

Old February 29, 2020, 10:39 AM
Cricket Savant

Rinat will have heart attack when he sees this thread. lol

Btw Tanvir brilliant post, and it deserves FP.

Only if editors were alive...

Old February 29, 2020, 11:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan

Rinat Bhai Should come soon
Old February 29, 2020, 07:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Whether Mash plays or not doesn't make any difference tbh. We will only ever trash Zimbabwe at home and get smashed by everyone else everywhere else.
Old February 29, 2020, 11:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_king
Whether Mash plays or not doesn't make any difference tbh. We will only ever trash Zimbabwe at home and get smashed by everyone else everywhere else.
We were able to beat Afghanistan SA and WI in the world cup. Reckon if we had a better bowler we would have done much better in the world cup.

If one of your main bowlers isn't delivering it is a massive headache for the team.
Old March 2, 2020, 06:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan

Thanks Zeeshan bhai - all I want is Mashrafe to see this. I think he needs a reality check, while we should always appreciate what he has done we also have to look at the future. The fact is we haven't won a single ICC tournament and guess what Mashrafe's time is already up, he is not going to lead us in 2023 so why is he still playing is a question.

I think this thread will expire soon as I feel he is going to retire end of this series.

In any case - please feel free to publish this as I want to send some constructive criticisms his way as I don't see many in BD cricket doing it.
Old March 3, 2020, 09:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

He is a thief who wants respect. Not gonna happen. He only takes and takes and now steals... was a selfish guy now a shameless guy.

I spend money in world cup to watch this fat unfit guy limp on the field... like MOFO owns the team and has no care in the world.
Old March 3, 2020, 10:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Same here , lost all respect for the guy recently
Old March 3, 2020, 10:52 AM
Cricket Legend

He bats at 8 and can't score a run.

His fielding is non existent too.
Old March 3, 2020, 11:26 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
He is a thief who wants respect. Not gonna happen. He only takes and takes and now steals... was a selfish guy now a shameless guy.
I spend money in world cup to watch this fat unfit guy limp on the field... like MOFO owns the team and has no care in the world.
iDumb bhiaya, I love you for the energy in your posts - as well as Zeeshan, Dilscoop, Zinat, Shobha, Cricket King and Shingara's voice, force and charismatic posts. You guys keep this forum alive and make people wanting to come back to the forum to read your posts. I personally always seek out first what you guys said and thought about any specific topic.

Last edited by bujhee kom; March 4, 2020 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: Grammar and sentence structure etc. mistakes
Old March 3, 2020, 11:41 AM
Cricket Savant

By the way, it was a pathetic match, game, BD team leadership and umpiring all together!
By my book, it is Zimbabwe that WON!
Old March 3, 2020, 12:31 PM
Club Cricketer

His batting is ultra pathetic. He does show more determination in bpl at times with the bat. But in international cricket he seems like player that has never picked up a cricket bat his entire life. Such a waste. I always felt if he focused on batting a little more, he could've been a good power hitter down the order and been more useful for BD.
Old March 3, 2020, 02:42 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

I lost my respect for him as well..I used to admire him a lot for his struggles but now all of that has turned into disappointment, frustration, and complete disregard. I was in denial in the beginning (when he started politics with AL) but then the way he won the election, WC performance, and now dragging his retirement for no good that made me change my mind.

He should realize he serves no purpose in the team anymore. Its time for him to move on and let some young person find his feet in the squad. It's not like his performance should keep him in the team either. Its only his "brand" and "power" now that keeps him getting selected.

This Zim tour was a perfect opportunity to try out a new seamer. But its an opportunity gone wasted.

Finally, I used to be impressed with his rhetoric in the past. Such as cricketers are not heroes, freedom fighters and rickshawalas are heroes. Life is more than cricket...blah blah etc etc...

Now I realize these words only strikes an emotional side to all us Bengalis. Media and the likes of Utpal Shuvro writes articles akin to telenovelas based on his dialogues.

The recent comments oh ami ki chor naki? Ami lojja keno pabo...is one such example of his flowery language. The way he brings in society and unnecessary patriotism to everything puts his critics at unease coz they don't want to face the consequences of questioning Mash's love for the country.
Old March 3, 2020, 03:17 PM
Cricket Guru

The least he could have done is relinquish his captaincy. A home series against Zim would have been the best place to start grooming the next Captain.
Old March 3, 2020, 03:25 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

saw Rinat as an active member in this thread now!! cmon Rinat..say something.