facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 2, 2017, 02:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Default When we will get a genuine hitter?

This is probably one of the many wishlists bd cricket is only dream of.
We know we yet to produce world class batsman like Amala, Kane, Warner, David etc who can dominant the bowlers consistently. But how difficult is to get a hitter who has ability to hit the ball every now and then with distance and who ll not last for 3 balls. Can also has a smart head on his shoulder not only a big unit. There are plenty of examples in otherteams such as collin munro, guptill, lynn, dhoni, perera, stokes et al.

People might come up with different bd players from present n past but dont think they were/are genuine hitters. They all show some glimpse but disappear soon.

We badly needed a hitter in odi no 7 position.

Like to know your view on this.

Old February 2, 2017, 03:33 AM
Street Cricketer

I feel like Bengalis are just not built that way. We see one here and there, but they are outliers. Maybe its genes or maybe its because of the food we eat.
Old February 2, 2017, 04:15 AM
ODI Cricketer

I believe Sabbir is a genuine hitter.
Old February 2, 2017, 04:33 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

If you mean a "hitter" who can smash the ball out of the park with shere strenghth on a regular basis, then I dont think we will get one soon. In general most Bangladeshis batsmen lack either the physical and/or mental stamina to be a hitter.
Old February 2, 2017, 04:50 AM
Test Cricketer

I don't believe just physical strength is the only requirement for big hitting. Ashraful, Aftab, Tamim, Sabbir, Shakib, Mash, M'ullah, even Mushy and few others were/are all capable of hitting big. But they don't play according to the merit of the ball, they play premeditatedly. I think ability to score from each ball is more important than hitting big. And it won't happen overnight. Our cricket culture has to change slowly. I genuinely believe our batters are not capable of finding gaps and scoring, that's why they go for big shots. Finding gap is not just about hand technique, it requires a batsman ability to read the field setting and keep in mind, read the bowlers action early, moving feet accordingly, good understanding with the non-striker and stamina to run hard. It's not easy. Easy is to go for slogging every ball.
Tamim probably has been playing for longer than Warner. Warner at the beginning of his career was a slogger. But over time he changed his batting. He is way more patient now. He plays most of the balls but doesn't go for big shots every single time. The amount of 1's and 2's he scores is unbelievable. But our Tamim still plays the same way he used to play at the beginning.
Being positive has a different meaning to our players. They think going for shots every ball is being positive. They don't think trying to stay in the crease by playing defensively, not letting the bowler to make you fool is positive.
Old February 2, 2017, 04:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

Unless we can import Brendan Taylor from Durham, i don`t see us producing one any time sooner
Old February 2, 2017, 04:57 AM
Test Cricketer

I don't think we will miraculously find a big hitter/good batsman. Once the whole system improves we will find few of them at the same time.
Old February 2, 2017, 05:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana Melb
This is probably one of the many wishlists bd cricket is only dream of.
We know we yet to produce world class batsman like Amala, Kane, Warner, David etc who can dominant the bowlers consistently. But how difficult is to get a hitter who has ability to hit the ball every now and then with distance and who ll not last for 3 balls. Can also has a smart head on his shoulder not only a big unit. There are plenty of examples in otherteams such as collin munro, guptill, lynn, dhoni, perera, stokes et al.

People might come up with different bd players from present n past but dont think they were/are genuine hitters. They all show some glimpse but disappear soon.

We badly needed a hitter in odi no 7 position.

Like to know your view on this.

This is what I don't understand about our fans

How is sabbir not a better player and hitter than

Munro - he's crap
Lynn - talented, but mainly a t20 player
Perrera - he's barely better than mash
Stokes - incredibly inconsistent.. But he is the best hitter when on form in the world

It seems our fans don't actually watch cricket that often, but rather just look at highlight innings and headlines

Old February 2, 2017, 06:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

Mehedi Maruf

Banglar Hulk - Ziaur Rahman
Alauddin Babu
Yasir Ali
Nazmul Hossain Milon
Old February 2, 2017, 06:41 AM
Cricket Legend

^what a cricket pundit big LOL
Read the post and try to understand what is the moral of the story. It's not a comparison with sabbir vs others . Btw when bd got a genuine hitter like stokes lynn dhoni etc.
Because of few over hyped fan like this we are always overestimating us.
Old February 2, 2017, 06:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas_UK25
Mehedi Maruf

Banglar Hulk - Ziaur Rahman
Alauddin Babu
Yasir Ali
Nazmul Hossain Milon
Yes for bd standard. most of em faded away or no more useful enough.
Old February 2, 2017, 09:37 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wang Liqin
BDFlag Sabbir & Maruf

I strongly believe that Sabbir is a genuine natural hitter. I was simply stunned to see his 121 run inning at BPL. Although it wasn't at Int'l level; but scoring 121 runs in a T20 match isn't easy. His 6's are usually massive and most of them are hit with a cross-bat which needs some strength.

Another notable player is Mehedi Maruf from BPL. I've seen highlights of his batting. He picks up the ball early and middles it as well. A very clean hitter. I surely want to try him as an opener with Tamim in T20's. I will go even further and try him in ODI's as well. A LH and RH combo will be a plus point. Besides, Maruf being a hitter should make Tamim calm down. Maruf playing at no.2 and Sabbir at no.7 should cover our batting in powerplay.

Mushy and Tamim can hit the ball. They aren't super-aggressive, somewhat semi-aggressive I would say. Mash can hit; but he isn't consistent. Nasir and Mosaddek have potentials (Nasir has already proved that). I don't know about Miraj, for now, we just need him to bat.
Old February 2, 2017, 10:43 AM
Banned

Big hitting is not primarily about physical strength. Some serious inferiority complex nonsense on this thread about genes and diets. Look at Hardik Pandya - one of the skinniest guys in international cricket, and can hit pace and spin for miles.

"power" hitting is not just about brute strength - its a combination of batting skills, timing, shot selection AND strength. You don't need to be Hercules to hit a cricket ball a long way.
Old February 2, 2017, 11:14 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

You need to be shredded, whilst skinny, to hit big shots.

Look at Jermaine Blackwood
Old February 2, 2017, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
You need to be shredded, whilst skinny, to hit big shots.

Look at Jermaine Blackwood
Looks like WI have found their next Lendl Simmons in Blackwood. I like that kid AK, hope he gets some quality batting coaching and guidance.

Windies bats have talent, they just consistently fail to develop from the raw base to their maximum potential. Serious systemic issue for WICB to address. But they are too busy fighting with their players and playing pretend "CEO" style management.

Last edited by IndYeah; February 2, 2017 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: typo
Old February 2, 2017, 12:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK27
I feel like Bengalis are just not built that way. We see one here and there, but they are outliers. Maybe its genes or maybe its because of the food we eat.
How did Kaluwitharan, Sanath, De Silva hit those biggies from SL ? All these three were less than 5'5

How do you need to be built? How come our Banglar hulk Ziaur can't hit them consistently despite the big build and size?

Allthe players I mentioned earlier post, except Maruf who is 5ft 10, rest are above 6ft and have big build size. So WHAT DOES ONE MEAN BENGALIS aren't build for big hitting? How come Ganguly hit sixes with ease?

Come on. It's not the build and size. Cricket is timing, right shot selection, and power comes in there, helps you hit biggies, if the other both are good in your game.

Sabbir hit sixes with ultra ease, scored a 120plus, highest BPL individual score more than Gayle who has scored 3 or something ton in BPL. Mashrafe, Hits a 50 ball ton List A last year. And Mash, is a big hitter too, especially against spin, his issue is he is a hack in terms of batting technique and shot selection. And that is WHAT, the main issues with our guys who can hit big, have the natural big hitting power. They don't have the timing nor choose shots well, hence it looks weak in the end how most of them get out playing poor wrong choice of shots on the wrong ball!
Old February 2, 2017, 12:59 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndYeah
Looks like WI have found their next Lendl Simmons in Blackwood. I like that kid AK, hope he gets some quality batting coaching and guidance.

Windies bats have talent, they just consistently fail to develop from the raw base to their maximum potential. Serious systemic issue for WICB to address. But they are too busy fighting with their players and playing pretend "CEO" style management.
Yes, he's got the talent.

We can continue this discussion somewhere else...because we're going off-topic
Old February 2, 2017, 01:36 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wang Liqin
Lightbulb Power VS Timing

Kalu used to play little cameos. He used all the power his little body could generate, nothing to do with timing. Besides, he hit boundaries most often, not biggies.

Jayasuirya was bottom-hand dominant player with lot of wrist power. His 6's over point are proof of that. Whenever he wanted to play biggies, he made sure he put lot of power behind it.

De Silva was on another level. He didn't have to use power like any other great batsman nor he used to hit biggies frequently.

Ganguly was another example of elegant timing. He only used to hit 6's against the spinners by putting some momentum (coming down the track) and little power. But his 6's were massive.

Saeed and Lara were similar. To me, Saeed was the best timer of the ball while Lara could use both timing & power + playing in the gap. Most great batmen will only need timing and middling the ball and at times, using their feet against slow bowlers. Sachin isn't an exception either.

Now, take Gyle who stands and delivers. You need lot of strength to do that.

My point is if you mostly play with power, you may time & middle the ball some and mistime the rest. But both can produce runs. However if you're a batsman of technique & timing; you may not have to use power at all, well may be little at times, especially in T20's. BAN lacks a great deal in the latter group.

That's my 2 cents. No intention to hurt anyone.
Old February 2, 2017, 02:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Kohli

Producing genuine power hitters has got everything to do with diet and physical strength, for me a power hitter is someone who does not have to rely on timing and could muscle the ball out of the ground even without proper timing. Subcontinent currently has only two genuine power hitters, perera and Sharjeel. To be considered a proper power hitter Pandya has to up his game against fast bowlers.
Old February 2, 2017, 02:09 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_1
Producing genuine power hitters has got everything to do with diet and physical strength, for me a power hitter is someone who does not have to rely on timing and could muscle the ball out of the ground even without proper timing. Subcontinent currently has only two genuine power hitters, perera and Sharjeel. To be considered a proper power hitter Pandya has to up his game against fast bowlers.
Add Mohammad Shahzad and co. from Afghanistan
Old February 2, 2017, 02:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Kohli

Quote:
Add Mohammad Shahzad and co. from Afghanistan
Argh!! How could I forget Pathan powers, my bad
Old February 2, 2017, 02:24 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_1
Argh!! How could I forget Pathan powers, my bad
They are officially the new ballers of power hitting in Asia-- no other team comes close.

I think what's disturbing is the way many Bangladeshi batsmen apply this aspect to their game...the allure of big hits is not what I see fit.

Instead, they should focus on maneuvering the gaps in the field, run hard, time the ball. Easy eight run-an-over.
Old February 2, 2017, 10:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Sabbir! He hits sixes with so much ease. Mr Rana, we have what you want!

Had he been a part of Aussie or South African or Kiwi setup, would have become a far better player. At age group level our players or on par or sometimes better than their counterparts from other top nations. But its quite a mystery what happens there after.
Old February 3, 2017, 01:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

Sekkuge Prasanna,Hamilton Mazakasda,Mohammad Nabi and Maxwell
Old February 3, 2017, 09:46 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
They are officially the new ballers of power hitting in Asia-- no other team comes close.

I think what's disturbing is the way many Bangladeshi batsmen apply this aspect to their game...the allure of big hits is not what I see fit.

Instead, they should focus on maneuvering the gaps in the field, run hard, time the ball. Easy eight run-an-over.
no other team comes close? really? Shabbir/Soumya are better power hitter than any Afg batsmen. Shabbir was hitting 90+ meters boundaries with so much ease in NZ.