facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 17, 2017, 02:48 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara
Default Let us remain positive thread

Yes we are having a bad tour but we are not alone in this. Look at Sri Lanka or Pakistan and they are also having a hard time. It is our first overseas tour after a long time and we hardly play tests. We had injuries during the matches and before the tour. So taking all things into consideration, while people have every right to be upset but lets not build this up into a witch-hunt. Mushfiq and Kayes risked their bodies and batted in a game they could have avoided.. it showed commitment and character which is more important than 50s and 100s. We are not a worldclass team so it is silly to expect our execution in game situations will be flawless. I am sure Shakib, Ryad and the rest of the players must be hurting right now as well.

We have a long way to go this year and let us not be all doom and gloom. Lets back our players to fight hard in the second test just as we did vs England after a heart breaking loss. Don't lose hope and keep the positive spirit alive in this forum.

Old January 17, 2017, 03:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Just go through some of the comments "About Bangladeshi fans" in Cricinfo, FB, Twitter etc. There is a reason why we are ridiculed. Our expectations have become such that as if we are world champions. We got hammered in NZ, it happens. Kiwi's are one of the toughest teams to beat in their own turf. Now play next month in Dhaka, i bet we can reverse the results.

BD has a long way to go. Playing at home and in foreign conditions are two very different things. Some of the criticism, ridicule, name calling of our players, coaches, staff are unwarranted, way too harsh. Very easy for us to be armchair critics.

Relax guys, not the end of the world. Just a part of the learning curve.
Old January 17, 2017, 04:53 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

I think we should remain realistic than positive.

I mean from the ODI/T20s being from a commanding position we lost. We have forgotten the basics of cricket. Our fielding is below par. Batmans getting out to loose shots. So many run out chances due to poor or lack of communication.

We would have done worse in the Test had New Zealand taken those catches or put up a better fielding effort.

Furthermore Mushfiq/Kayes/Msutafiz might all not play.
Old January 17, 2017, 06:54 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Anybody who plays for BD

Its not about losing. I wouldnt mind if they lost by an innings.
But its the way they have been throwing matches away recently. And its happening again and again. It happened in 2014 as well
Old January 17, 2017, 09:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh

Relax guys, not the end of the world. Just a part of the learning curve.
That learning curve never will end for Bangladesh. luck of basic common sense.
Old January 17, 2017, 10:50 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

very timely thread can someone do a stats guru to see what is the highest score by subcontinental teams in NZ? I think Bangladesh is leading right now...

By India?
By Pakistan?
By Sri Lanka?
Old January 17, 2017, 01:07 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

I'm positive all the time. It is true, all touring teams these days are getting thrashed, including Bangladesh.

@Rifat, this is what I have(I've listed the highest scores until I got to the last remaining team, that's why Pakistan is in there multiple times):

Highest Scores by Sub-continent teams in New Zealand:

TEAMSCOREOVERSRPOLEADInnsResultGroundStart Date
Pakistan616/5d203.03.036161DrawAuckland24 Feb 1989
Bangladesh595/8d152.03.915951LostWellington12 Jan 2017
Pakistan571/8d210.02.71952DrawChristchurch15 Mar 2001
Pakistan548/5d137.23.993732WonWellington17 Feb 1994
India520152.43.402412WonHamilton18 Mar 2009
Pakistan507/6d123.0x83.095071WonDunedin7 Feb 1973
Sri Lanka498148.13.36-632DrawNapier4 April 2005

Statsguru link:http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...m;view=innings
Old January 17, 2017, 01:27 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Yes I agree with Magicien bhai.
Old January 18, 2017, 10:11 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Some of the established teams still haven't learned how to play overseas..... They are still failing even after playing 100 or 200 years of cricket..... Amra to shishu.....
Old January 18, 2017, 12:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: David Warner

I think we dominated for 3-4 days of the match. I enjoyed the game. Looking forward to the next match!
Old January 18, 2017, 01:06 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarufH
I think we dominated for 3-4 days of the match. I enjoyed the game. Looking forward to the next match!
That is pretty much the story for a lot of our test matches, dominate 4 days and blow it on the last big time. Our test record would have been slightly better with a few more wins and A LOT more draws if we had the mental fortitude to last it out one more day.
Old January 18, 2017, 05:19 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

My input into this positive thread...

Bob Marley's Positive Vibration (truncated)

Quote:
Live if you want to live
(Rastaman vibration, yeah! Positive!)
That's what we got to give!
(I'n'I vibration yeah! Positive)
Got to have a good vibe!
(Iyaman Iration, yeah! Irie ites!)
Wo-wo-ooh!
(Positive vibration, yeah! Positive!)

If you get down and you quarrel everyday,
You're saying prayers to the devils, I say. Wo-oh-ooh!
Why not help one another on the way?
Make it much easier. (Just a little bit easier)

Say you just can't live that negative way,
If you know what I mean;
Make way for the positive day,
'Cause it's news (new day) - news and days -
New time (new time), and if it's a new feelin' (new feelin'), yeah! -
Said it's a new sign (new sign):
Oh, what a new day!
Old January 19, 2017, 03:17 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

Talking about being positive.... this might help https://www.facebook.com/bdcricteam/...53945798088661

Never before liked Pakistan so much
Old January 19, 2017, 06:00 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

I always burst out laughing when I remember when Nasser Hussain once said Tamim Iqbal (edited) is better than the whole Pakistani batting team (something to that effect).

But i guess rather than being positive, be realistic for this test match.

Last edited by adamnsu; January 19, 2017 at 07:04 AM..
Old January 19, 2017, 06:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

I want to be positive I really do.

But tell you Magician bhai how can you expect us to be positive when our players with 10+ years decides to commit hara kiri in important moments of a test match.

We can be positive if it's our juniors failing but when seniors fail it's a worrying sign. And it's not the failure but rather the method of failure
Old January 19, 2017, 06:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Plenty of posts in the forum about the lack of maturity of our players.

I dont mean it to sound like an excuse but a lot of these guys come from very humble backgrounds. Some dont even have proper education, some even see an airplane for the first time after national call up. So very hard to expect the same conduct, strategic thinking from them that we see from other top cricketers around the world.

Big contrast to even Sri Lankan cricketers who all go through proper schooling, work for corporations during off time. Hence some of these guys are smarter, think better, play more responsibly.

This issue wont change overnight. We ve come a long way, there was a time when our pacers couldnt even get the ball to rise waist high, or even hit a six. Every new generation will get better and better.
Old January 19, 2017, 06:53 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHRAM
I want to be positive I really do.

But tell you Magician bhai how can you expect us to be positive when our players with 10+ years decides to commit hara kiri in important moments of a test match.

We can be positive if it's our juniors failing but when seniors fail it's a worrying sign. And it's not the failure but rather the method of failure
At this point in our history we are still able to produce average players. Tamim is our all time great opener and he is an average player by international standard. So nothing to be surprised about when average decisions are made and average results are achieved on the cricket field. You have to understand that a century from our players is still a statistical anomaly rather than the norm.

There is no doubt our learning curve could be better but we all know the systemic and cultural issues we have that hinders the process of developing somebody like Kohli.

Are we going to get better players in the future to take us to the next level from our current bunch? The answer is no. The day our U19 wins a major tournament, i will start to believe above average players are in the pipeline. Until then this is the best we got.
Old January 19, 2017, 07:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
At this point in our history we are still able to produce average players. Tamim is our all time great opener and he is an average player by international standard. So nothing to be surprised about when average decisions are made and average results are achieved on the cricket field. You have to understand that a century from our players is still a statistical anomaly rather than the norm.

There is no doubt our learning curve could be better but we all know the systemic and cultural issues we have that hinders the process of developing somebody like Kohli.

Are we going to get better players in the future to take us to the next level from our current bunch? The answer is no. The day our U19 wins a major tournament, i will start to believe above average players are in the pipeline. Until then this is the best we got.
I am not asking for world beaters

I am just asking for our senior cricketers to step up after the opportunity they have got

Anamul has as many centuries in ODIs than Riad. He has decent performance in T20s. He is a much better fielder. But did management persist with him? No. Al Amin was successful in the matches he played but soon ousted.

Yes Tamim Shakib Riad Mushy Mash and Imrul are the best we have got but how about we compare them with players around the world and not Bangladesh? I am sure our boys have had better facilities and more matches than Azhar Ali, Sarfaraz, but still their performance is so much inferior?

The likes of Roy Billings Hales surely have less experience yet seem so much more matured.

There lies the issue. Our players feel it's fine to be the best in Bangladesh. But that's where they sre wrong. Because international cricket is not BPL. Here you are competing against the rest of the world not against your own country men.

About time these guys make most of the opportunities and actually start showing up.

So riad won us many matches right? How many of our losses is because of him? How many times Tamim has given us a poor start in terms of run rate and how often has he got himself out early playing ridiculous shots?

I won't complain about the talent pool. I complain about the mentality of the players. If the star player of a side with 250+ matches under his belt decides to dance down the track in the first over of the day not once but twice in a span of 3 months then something is wrong with the team.

Believe me we have more talent than most countries. It's just that Bangladeshis lack the key elements to truly be successful in cricket:
1) Fitness
2) maturity
3) smartness
Old January 19, 2017, 07:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Plenty of posts in the forum about the lack of maturity of our players.

I dont mean it to sound like an excuse but a lot of these guys come from very humble backgrounds. Some dont even have proper education, some even see an airplane for the first time after national call up. So very hard to expect the same conduct, strategic thinking from them that we see from other top cricketers around the world.

Big contrast to even Sri Lankan cricketers who all go through proper schooling, work for corporations during off time. Hence some of these guys are smarter, think better, play more responsibly.

This issue wont change overnight. We ve come a long way, there was a time when our pacers couldnt even get the ball to rise waist high, or even hit a six. Every new generation will get better and better.
Shakib came from an educated family and rather well-to-do one

That didn't stop him from being the major culprit against the loss against England in the 1st test where he handed the advantage to England and demoralize the entire team.
Old January 19, 2017, 07:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

Quote:

That didn't stop him from being the major culprit against the loss against England in the 1st test where he handed the advantage to England and demoralize the entire team.
It's all about the mindset of our players, that's what our Head Coach said. Inshallah time will come when youngsters will have a better mindset. Most of the current ones have decent quality but if you don't have a good understanding of situation cricket, you lose half of your talent/quality. Just hope one day we will get players with better mindset/approach..
Old January 19, 2017, 10:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Which is perhaps why he is more intelligent than others. But Shakib is Shakib, he ll do these silly things and then save us another day.
Old January 19, 2017, 10:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Which is perhaps why he is more intelligent than others. But Shakib is Shakib, he ll do these silly things and then save us another day.
Shakib isn't necessarily intelligent

Shakib has hunger. Hunger for glory

And about doing silly things one day. A matured player is one who does well all the time. There is no on and off switch. A good student is one who maintains a good score in every exam and not have exams where he scored 50℅ and 95℅ in the other. Now that 95 looks good but that 50 is a big problem.
Old January 19, 2017, 10:57 PM
Cricket Legend

If he isnt intelligent then i dont know who is. Probably the shrewdest cricketer in the team, reads the game better than anyone else. Maybe not the best leader-thats another story.

This inconsistency and recklessness-can he get over it? Not sure. Might be too big a man, for Hathurusingha to turn around.
Old January 19, 2017, 11:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Read the game better?

Anyone who can read the game better even an autistic patient would know that dancing down the track in the first over of a crucial day is idiotic.

Being intelligent and not using your intelligence discards the fact that you have intelligence
Old January 19, 2017, 11:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Recklessness. Doesnt care. But some days this recklessness works in our favour, and some days it backfires ins tyle.