facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports > FIFA World Cup Soccer 2006 (Archive)

FIFA World Cup Soccer 2006 (Archive) Biggest sporting event in the world. This is time for the sky high excitement.

Old July 10, 2006, 03:26 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket
Thumbs up Its all over now

After 93 threads and almost 3000 posts, its time to close our World Cup 06 forum..

Im sure we all had a great time. The anticipation,excitement,hopes and heart breaks and finally, wins and loses.

For some of us here in Australia, it was a month of sleepless nights.

It also gave us a rare opportunity to debate among each other and being divided over teams and nations we love. After all, we are all here for the love of our country and the game we love the most. and henceforth, we more or less, are always united in our cause...

I have immensely enjoyed this world cup, and loved posting up here on BC.
I think we should all congrat each other for providing all of us with a really exciting forum section and participating and sharing our thoughts...

SO, i invite u all to pen down few last thoughts of this WC.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]

Old July 10, 2006, 10:42 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

WC was great as usual but both big shots Arg. and Bra going out of the trounament so quickly was not so great. Either Argentian or Brazil should have been there till the end. This could be one reason why many will remember this WC as dull one.

I personally didn't like the Italy win. Would have been way happier if Portugal made it. Hoping for a better next WC. Asian teams need to rise. Japan, South Korea, Iran, Saudi Arabia .... more to come...?
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old July 10, 2006, 10:49 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasif
...more to come...?
Don't forget Bangladesh. This was a dull WC with that many yellow cards. Players, coaches are moving away from the fair play.

I am not happy with the Italians winning it but it is better than the french. Brazil played horrible. Ronaldo got his record. Argentina boy they could have easily hoisted the cup if Pokimon (perkerman) didn't make the blunders in sub. Lipi apa is a hero now. Del piero has something that baggio don't. lastly, Love you Zidane!! Thanks for the final headbutt. That's how I will remember 2006 WC.
Old July 10, 2006, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

a great tournament comes to an end. true there were very few goals, but then again it was largely due to the excellence of the defenders and midfielders. italy deserved to win it in the end, having played as a team throughout. i'd thought either canavarro or buffon would've taken the golden ball, but i guess they'll have to be satisfied with the silver and the Lev Yashin respectively. not that they'd mind, though

however, two teams that really impressed me in this competition are germany and ivory coast. germany because their young coach klinsmann really turned a monotonic/robotic team into one that will be remembered for their fast and attacking style for a long time. if this trend continues, we might see another entertaining display from the germans next time.

ivory coast, on the other hand, qualified for the first time, and they impressed me because of their extraordinary interception in the midfield and their ability to attack. too bad they were in the same group as argentina and holland. they would probably have qualified otherwise.

one thing that hasn't been mentioned much in this forum is the contribution of the coaches. klinsmann, scolari, lippi and domenech have all done excellent jobs for their respective teams, whereas the likes of pekerman and eriksson deserves a latthi in the rear, especially eriksson for the way he just sat on his butt while england were losing against portugal and let mc claren do all the shouting.what a waste of good money it has been.

overall, this world cup has seen a new germany, the france of 98, a new portugal and the near-impossible: brazil defeated by a team that had been pretty ordinary in the first round.

now that we move on to south africa, i bet a couple of african teams (nigeria, maybe) will make it to the top four next time. another four years, oh boy.

finally, i think we Bangla Cricketers have shown that we are equally adept in analysing soccer as we are in cricket! the FIFA World Cup Soccer 2006 forum has featured excitement, some excellent analysis, and game-time passions that we can look back to time and again as we await the next event in Africa.
Old July 10, 2006, 11:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

It was lots of fun posting here. So many debates. I felt like I am in Bangladesh. Thank you everyone. Thanks Banglacricket.
Old July 10, 2006, 01:49 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Terrible way to end a magnificent career.

Sagnol to Barthez: "I want divorce."

Italy World Cup Champions 2006
Old July 17, 2006, 12:13 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

no more.. "that is it for another 4 years thought" ?
c'mon guys...
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old July 17, 2006, 12:57 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ricky Ponting

A tournament marred by dubious refereeing decisions, too many players too eager to take a dive and repeated poor performances from the more 'technically skilled' nations. As much as it pains me to say, in the end, Italy was probably the most deserving winner. That said, Australia was robbed through blatant incompetence of the aforementioned referees. For the first time, I lost interest after the Second Round. In truth, the Closing Ceremony couldn't have come sooner.

Last edited by Mr-Cricket; July 17, 2006 at 01:02 AM..
Old July 19, 2006, 05:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats_eye
Don't forget Bangladesh. This was a dull WC with that many yellow cards. Players, coaches are moving away from the fair play.

I am not happy with the Italians winning it but it is better than the french. Brazil played horrible. Ronaldo got his record. Argentina boy they could have easily hoisted the cup if Pokimon (perkerman) didn't make the blunders in sub. Lipi apa is a hero now. Del piero has something that baggio don't. lastly, Love you Zidane!! Thanks for the final headbutt. That's how I will remember 2006 WC.
i am a supporter of argentina and was really hoping that it could be like 86 when i was a jumping as a kid. but i dont agree with you that it would be easy for them even if they defeated germany. italy is very under rated, they are a team who always perform well in big stages. i guess italy would have beaten argentina, same way they defeated germany and france. if people think italy is lucky, just count how many clear chances they got against germany(without counting goals). their strategy doesnt look good but it is very effective.