facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 5, 2006, 10:22 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza
Default Cricket Question

This is question related to laws of cricket:
Is runout the only case where multiple cricketers can be credited?

Like, is there any situation where two cricketers can be credited for a catch?

Thanks for your input.
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.

Old November 6, 2006, 12:19 AM
Retired BC Admin

Theoretically yes. A fielder may stop the ball in the air while another fielder finishes off the catch. However if I'm not mistaken, the official credit would go to the second fielder even though the contribution of the first fielder is significant. Can't think of any other situation - have not read the laws for quite sometime now.
Old November 6, 2006, 12:39 AM
Administrator

Rethinkinh this question...

Even in a run out, isn't only one fielder officially credited per instance of a run-out?

The bowler is credited for the following:

- bowled
- LBW
- hit wicket
- stumped (keeper shares credit)
- caught (One and only one fielder shares credit)

The first three of the above set is where the bowler takes full credit.

The other ways of being out is solely dis-credited to the batsman

- Handled the ball (Inzy recently )
- Hit the ball twice (hasn't happened in Tests yet)
- Obstructing the field (Len Hutton was the only one in Tests, but in ODI 3 have been, including Inzy who also has a few hit wickets to his name)
- Timed out (Not yet in Tests but I see Inzy to be a prime candidate as he ambles in very slowly with his ample girth )

Then of course there is retired out.
Old November 6, 2006, 12:49 AM
Administrator

Interesting story about "retired out". Only 2 players were ever recorded retied out in Test cricket. And this happened versus Bangladesh. This was in the Colombo Test where Bangladesh in the first innings were skittled out for 90. SL in its first innings eventually declared at 555 for 5 with Attapattu (201) and Jayawardene (150) retiring along the way.

Incidently, this was the Test where Ashraful scored his record breaking 114.
Old November 6, 2006, 01:24 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Wowww! How come the admins are all up so late at nite (in this part of the world tho)?

Emmm...I think no matter what, official credit will go to the player who has taken the wicket. In the case of a catch, officially the person taking the catch. So many times English players take a catch, can't hold it, then their buddies take it. But the one taking it ultimately gets the credit.

Now, since I'm in IT, I can talk a bit about how systems are designed to handle such situations . Ready? Here you go!
If ICC has told the system designer that there will occassionally be multiple people credited for a catch, that will be designed into the system. So, if there's a possibility in the system for them to put two peoples' name in the list, then sure it's possible
Old November 6, 2006, 01:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasif
This is question related to laws of cricket:
Is runout the only case where multiple cricketers can be credited?

Like, is there any situation where two cricketers can be credited for a catch?

Thanks for your input.
So what weight factor for each fielder involved in a run out then? Even steven?
Old November 6, 2006, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
So what weight factor for each fielder involved in a run out then? Even steven?
I would say in runout case it is even.
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old November 6, 2006, 10:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

two cricketers are always credited for a catch. (bowler and catcher) The question should ask for "three"...

was this a riddle of some sort? LOL
Old November 6, 2006, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
two cricketers are always credited for a catch. (bowler and catcher) The question should ask for "three"...

was this a riddle of some sort? LOL
Orphy was it a joke, if it was then you were successful. It brought a smile on my face

No it wasn't a riddle. It is actually for DB design.

Last edited by Nasif; November 6, 2006 at 04:28 PM..
Old November 6, 2006, 12:11 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I looked at the thread and moved on not knowing the purpose of the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasif
..No it wasn't a riddle. It is actually for DB design.
Now if you had explained what was the reason for it, we could tried our best to help in the first instance. The degree of importance has changed now. (Communication is the key.)

For catch out only one person is credited. The last one to hold on to the catch.

For runouts I have not seen three people get credited. However, there can be a possibility when a over thrown ball aids to the runout. Two players throwing and one player dismissing the bail.
Old November 6, 2006, 12:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
For runouts I have not seen three people get credited. However, there can be a possibility when a over thrown ball aids to the runout. Two players throwing and one player dismissing the bail.
There is another possibility that three fielders might get involved in one runout. Question is how? Well, now a days we see fielder cutting the ball off the rope then giving the ball to another one then he throwing it to the wicketkeeper

BTW this is the most possible way of getting three fielders involved in one runout.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old November 6, 2006, 01:04 PM
First Class Cricketer

HAHA, i noticed that Nasif bhai has edited his avatar from saying "ASH SMASH" to "This is how ASH used to SMASH"

a sign of wearing support for the little miestro
Old November 6, 2006, 01:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by baisab
HAHA, i noticed that Nasif bhai has edited his avatar from saying "ASH SMASH" to "This is how ASH used to SMASH"

প্রথম যারে লাগে ভালো
যায় না ভুলা কখনো তারে

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old November 6, 2006, 02:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I looked at the thread and moved on not knowing the purpose of the thread.

Now if you had explained what was the reason for it, we could tried our best to help in the first instance. The degree of importance has changed now. (Communication is the key.)

For catch out only one person is credited. The last one to hold on to the catch.

Or, you are playing in the humongous Melbourne ground, the ball gets to the boundary, one fielder throws it back to a relay fielder in the middle, who throws it back to the wicketkeeper, who runs out the batsman trying to run a fourth.
Old November 6, 2006, 02:51 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
Or, you are playing in the humongous Melbourne ground, the ball gets to the boundary, one fielder throws it back to a relay fielder in the middle, who throws it back to the wicketkeeper, who runs out the batsman trying to run a fourth.
I can't remember but a similar situation had occured against BD. Someone will pick up on this for sure. Once a BD player in the out field chased down the ball, then threw (a soft and funny way) the ball to another one who was following him. The second fielder threw it back for a runout but the batsmen managed the forth run. grrrr!!! (An infield four runs).
Old November 6, 2006, 03:23 PM
Administrator

From DB point of view it really doesn't matter if its two players or three players involved in runout.

What I was interested to know is that if there is any other case where muliple players can be credited for an out, mainly if there was any catch-out situation ever where more than one was credited.

From the discussion here, it seems everyone believes that run-out is the only case where more than one can be credited.

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Old November 6, 2006, 03:28 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Some Questions:

1. If a bowler throughs the ball backward and it crosses the line, is it a 4? reason for asking, if the ball does not cross the bowling mark, it is not a ball, right?
2. If a batsman says he is out, and the fielding captain says he is not, is the batsman out? how gets the upper hand?
3. If the ball hits an umpire and someone catches it, will it be an out?
4. If a 1 feet long person is batting (a kid), and ball hits the top of the stamp, is it out or NO ball? (due to height above the solder?)
5. two batsman are running, before one can finish changing side, other changes it three times. how many runs are there?
6. if someone hits the bell, it breaks into two pieces, the small piece falls on the ground but the bigger piece stays on the ground, is it out or not?
7. can a right handed batsman suddenly decide to change style and stand like a left hander? will the wide marks gonna be changed then?

Last edited by Rubu; November 6, 2006 at 03:34 PM..
Old November 6, 2006, 07:41 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

well said rubu...altho i think i think the 1st 3 points are non-facetious and could happen in real cricket

#OneTeam1Dream
Old November 6, 2006, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baisab

Good eyes!
Old November 6, 2006, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
well said rubu...altho i think i think the 1st 3 points are non-facetious and could happen in real cricket
Is 2 really not facetious? It does not matter what the batsmen or the opposing captain says (yeah, I see the subtle dig at Ponting here ), all it depends on is for someone to appeal and the umpire (and by indirection the 3rd umpire) to decide.
Old November 6, 2006, 09:34 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Doc, the fielding captain has the ability to overrule the umpire's decision. that is if a person is given out, and the fielding captain (say realizing that it was not out) can call the batsman back, and the umpire has nothing to do there. in that case what if the captain says he is not out, and the batsman says he is out?
Old November 6, 2006, 09:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
Some Questions:

1. If a bowler throughs the ball backward and it crosses the line, is it a 4? reason for asking, if the ball does not cross the bowling mark, it is not a ball, right?
2. If a batsman says he is out, and the fielding captain says he is not, is the batsman out? how gets the upper hand?
3. If the ball hits an umpire and someone catches it, will it be an out?
4. If a 1 feet long person is batting (a kid), and ball hits the top of the stamp, is it out or NO ball? (due to height above the solder?)
5. two batsman are running, before one can finish changing side, other changes it three times. how many runs are there?
6. if someone hits the bell, it breaks into two pieces, the small piece falls on the ground but the bigger piece stays on the ground, is it out or not?
7. can a right handed batsman suddenly decide to change style and stand like a left hander? will the wide marks gonna be changed then?
hehehe nice ones but as for the number 5 who the hell is the 'one'? I am sure this 'the one' is slower than Inzi!

Old November 6, 2006, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Mea culpa. I read too lightly and didnt see you mentioned the fielding captain.
Old November 7, 2006, 09:05 PM
BC Editorial Team

>> 3. If the ball hits an umpire and someone catches it, will it be an out?

The batsman is out.

>> 7. can a right handed batsman suddenly decide to change style and stand like a left hander? will the wide marks gonna be changed then?

Yes. There was a question about this some time back in "Ask Beaders" column at the BBC site. The answer given was that the umpiring association has decided that for the purpose of deciding wides in the case of reverse sweep, only the original right/left-handedness of the stance adopted by the batsman will be considered.

>> 5. two batsman are running, before one can finish changing side, other changes it three times. how many runs are there

The rules say : A run is scored (a) so often as the batsmen, at any time while the ball is in play, have crossed and made good their ground from end to end.

Don't know the answer to the question, but it looks like the slower person also has to reach the other end to score a run.
Old November 7, 2006, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Finally out official stat guru Tintin is here. Shed some more light on us about my original question